Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

With recent shootings in public and in churches, the question of self-defense has been coming up lately. But first, let's be clear: What we are seeing today is not a gun problem; it’s a moral problem called sin.

Vengeance Is Not Self-Defense
One Scripture often used to support pacifism and banning weapons is found in Proverbs 20:22: “Do not say, ‘I will recompense evil’; wait for the Lord, and He will save you.” But this scripture deals with vigilantism, not self-defense. According to Romans 13:4, one purpose of the authorities is to “execute wrath on him who practices evil.” They are God’s avengers, but we can be defenders.

Seek Peace When Possible
As Christians, I believe that we are to seek peace at every turn and not drape the cross with the flag. But what about self-defense as a last resort and biblical mandates to protect? The Old Testament offers many examples, but what about the New Testament? It does as well. In Matthew 26:52 Jesus says to Peter, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.” Jesus didn’t denounce the sword but clarified its place. When we take premature emotionally charged action, it may cost us our life.

Buy a Sword
Later, Jesus adds, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me?” If He had been a thief and a robber, the clubs and swords would have been justified. In my opinion, these Scriptures imply that weapons do have a place in society, although we must be careful. Additionally, in Luke 22:36, Jesus said,

“But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.”

What is the context of this Scripture? First, again I would err on the side of peace, but this isn’t always an option. One thing is certain: A sword was for defense. Earlier, Jesus had sent them on a peaceful mission trip where they did not need these items, but now Jesus may be implying that self-defense might become necessary. He wants them to use wisdom and be prepared.

Love Your Enemies Doesn’t Mean Hate Your Family
Some may argue, “Didn’t Jesus say to love our enemies, and bless those who curse us, and do good to those who hate us, and pray for those who spitefully use and persecute us?” (cf. Matthew 5:43-48.) Yes, but these references refer to personal assaults, offenses, and character assassinations, not to self-defense or the protection of others. It is taking a quantum leap to believe that Jesus is saying, “Do good to those who are trying to maim or destroy you or your family.”

Jesus Didn’t Turn the Other Cheek
Paul tells Timothy that if “anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (1 Tim. 5:8). But if I protect my family, which is often a greater responsibility (if not equal), then I’m labeled a war-monger and accused of misapplying the Scriptures.

The Scriptures must be read in their appropriate context. For example, when Jesus was slapped, He didn’t turn the other cheek. He said, “If I have spoken wrongly, testify of the wrong; but if rightly, why do you strike Me?” (John 18:23). Although we are to err on the side of grace and peace, there is a time and a place for confrontation and protection.

Forgiveness Is Not Passivity
I want to make it clear that I’m not advocating violence or aggression; I’m advocating scriptural consistency and continuity. Context is the key factor here. Forgiving is not being passive, and granting grace is not being gullible. Are we called to guard our families spiritually, emotionally, and financially but not physically? This makes no sense. However, my concern with the current gun debate is that we are buying into the fear narrative. A minimizing of sovereignty is directly related to a magnifying of worry. “Most Christians salute the sovereignty of God but believe in the sovereignty of man” (R.C. Sproul).

A GLOCK for the Flock
Many are prepared militarily but not spiritually, instilling unhealthy fear in their families. They are motivated by the fear of man rather than the fear of God. I hear much about GLOCK, Smith and Wesson, and Remington, but little about brokenness, surrender, and humility. Every time God’s people trusted in their weapons and armies, He called them to repentance. Our protection is in daily submission to Him. Psalm 121:2 adds, “Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Our current trend beckons us to be very careful about who, or what, we “worship,” and who, or what, we place our trust in.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

With recent shootings in public and in churches, the question of self-defense has been coming up lately. But first, let's be clear: What we are seeing today is not a gun problem; it’s a moral problem called sin.

One Scripture often used to support pacifism and banning weapons is found in Proverbs 20:22: “Do not say, ‘I will recompense evil’; wait for the Lord, and He will save you.” But this scripture deals with vigilantism, not self-defense. According to Romans 13:4, one purpose of the authorities is to “execute wrath on him who practices evil.” They are God’s avengers, but we can be defenders.

Seek Peace When Possible
As Christians, I believe that we are to seek peace at every turn and not drape the cross with the flag. But what about self-defense as a last resort and biblical mandates to protect? The Old Testament offers many examples, but what about the New Testament? It does as well. In Matthew 26:52 Jesus says to Peter, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.” Jesus didn’t denounce the sword but clarified its place. When we take premature emotionally charged action, it may cost us our life.

Buy a Sword
Later, Jesus adds, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me?” If He had been a thief and a robber, the clubs and swords would have been justified. In my opinion, these Scriptures imply that weapons do have a place in society, although we must be careful. Additionally, in Luke 22:36, Jesus said,

“But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.”

What is the context of this Scripture? First, again I would err on the side of peace, but this isn’t always an option. One thing is certain: A sword was for defense. Earlier, Jesus had sent them on a peaceful mission trip where they did not need these items, but now Jesus may be implying that self-defense might become necessary. He wants them to use wisdom and be prepared.

Some may argue, “Didn’t Jesus say to love our enemies, and bless those who curse us, and do good to those who hate us, and pray for those who spitefully use and persecute us?” (cf. Matthew 5:43-48.) Yes, but these references refer to personal assaults, offenses, and character assassinations, not to self-defense or the protection of others. It is taking a quantum leap to believe that Jesus is saying, “Do good to those who are trying to maim or destroy you or your family.”

Paul tells Timothy that if “anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (1 Tim. 5:8). But if I protect my family, which is often a greater responsibility (if not equal), then I’m labeled a war-monger and accused of misapplying the Scriptures.

The Scriptures must be read in their appropriate context. For example, when Jesus was slapped, He didn’t turn the other cheek. He said, “If I have spoken wrongly, testify of the wrong; but if rightly, why do you strike Me?” (John 18:23). Although we are to err on the side of grace and peace, there is a time and a place for confrontation and protection.

I want to make it clear that I’m not advocating violence or aggression; I’m advocating scriptural consistency and continuity. Context is the key factor here. Forgiving is not being passive, and granting grace is not being gullible. Are we called to guard our families spiritually, emotionally, and financially but not physically? This makes no sense. However, my concern with the current gun debate is that we are buying into the fear narrative. A minimizing of sovereignty is directly related to a magnifying of worry. “Most Christians salute the sovereignty of God but believe in the sovereignty of man” (R.C. Sproul).

A GLOCK for the Flock
Many are prepared militarily but not spiritually, instilling unhealthy fear in their families. They are motivated by the fear of man rather than the fear of God. I hear much about GLOCK, Smith and Wesson, and Remington, but little about brokenness, surrender, and humility. Every time God’s people trusted in their weapons and armies, He called them to repentance. Our protection is in daily submission to Him. Psalm 121:2 adds, “Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Our current trend beckons us to be very careful about who, or what, we “worship,” and who, or what, we place our trust in.
Ooh, I made a Bible analysis on this a while ago, well in relation to putting the sword away. :) For me, if someone invaded my place to hurt myself or any of my family if I had wife and kids, I will use a kitchen knife as defense, but I would never want to own a firearm, as I am a pacifist myself. However, it is one's right to own a gun on US soil, according to the 2nd Amendment (though the AKs or semi-autos are a little too extreme in my opinion, a handgun or hunting rifle would suffice).

Man, someone needs to invent a phaser, so we can stun our enemies instead. A stun setting for at least 15 minutes, enough for police to arrive on the scene.

Star Trek 1966 stun scene (duration 50 seconds), Bible analysis is below

DateApril 20, 2024
VerseEphesians 4:31-32 (ESV): "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."

Matthew 26:52: "Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword."
ExplanationEphesians 4:31-32 is a call for Christians to put away negative emotions and behaviors such as bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander, and malice, and instead be kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving towards one another. This passage emphasizes the importance of love, kindness, and forgiveness in the Christian community.

Matthew 26:52, on the other hand, is a command from Jesus to one of His disciples, Peter, to put away his sword after attempting to defend Jesus with violence. Jesus' message here was that violence and the use of force are not the solutions to conflicts or threats, but rather, love, peace, and forgiveness should be pursued.

Both passages emphasize the importance of non-violence and forgiveness in the context of religious beliefs and communities. Cults or individuals who use tainted religious views as an excuse to commit heinous acts, such as violence, are in direct opposition to these teachings.

The Waco Cult, also known as the Branch Davidians, infamously violated Ephesians 4:31-32 and Matthew 26:52 through their acts of violence and their belief in using force as a means to defend their beliefs. The Branch Davidians, led by David Koresh, believed they were preparing for an end-time battle and stockpiled weapons. Their belief system led them to engage in violent conflicts with law enforcement agencies, resulting in the tragic events at their compound in Waco, Texas, in 1993. Their actions were a clear violation of Ephesians call to put away negative emotions, such as anger and wrath, and instead be kind and forgiving towards others. Their use of weapons also contradicted Jesus' command in Matthew 26 to put away the sword and not resort to violence.

As for the Florida woman who shot at cars from her vehicle during the April 8, 2024 eclipse under the guise of "God told me so," her actions also contradicted both Biblical passages. The woman's erroneous belief that God was instructing her to shoot bullets at cars was not in line with the teachings of kindness, forgiveness, and non-violence found in these passages. Her actions could be seen as a form of wrath, anger, or malice, which are explicitly condemned in Ephesians 4:31-32. The use of violence, even if motivated by religious beliefs, is not justified and goes against the teachings of both Jesus and Paul. Instead, Christians are called to respond to conflicts and disagreements with love, forgiveness, and compassion.
Real-world useReal-world applications of these passages include practicing forgiveness and extending kindness towards others, even when faced with conflict or harm. Instead of resorting to violence or retaliation, Christians are called to respond with love and compassion. Additionally, these passages can serve as a reminder to critically examine the motivations behind religious beliefs or actions that may promote violence or harm towards others. Instead, Christians should strive to follow the teachings of Jesus and Paul, which emphasize love, peace, and forgiveness.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,129,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus spent his 33 years on earth without weapons--despite being a controversial figure in considerable danger.
He never attacked others, although he knocked over some tables once.
For those of you who want to emulate Jesus, there you have it. Lay your weapons down.
I am over 70. I never picked one up, despite riding the NYC subways to work for several years. How glad I am to have emulated Jesus in this way.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus spent his 33 years on earth without weapons--despite being a controversial figure in considerable danger.
For those of you who want to emulate Jesus, there you have it. Lay your weapons down.
I am over 70. I never picked one up, despite riding the NYC subways to work for several years. How glad I am to have emulated Jesus in this way.
Agreed, especially with Jesus not using weapons. I am 24, and the only time I picked up a firearm was for a summer camp at ages 12 and 13, and I felt uncomfortable using them. You know what would be great for self-defense? Martial arts. I wish that schools taught martial arts such as karate.

So, the camp had a biology class, a canoeing class, and two classes about target practice. The first half of the month's long camp, we learned archery, which was pretty cool. The last two weeks of camp, we had to use BB guns, and then leveled up to .22s. I hated the noise of the .22s, but I was a halfway good shot. We used paper targets. But yeah, that stuff was not for me. Glad the camp was 11-12 years ago.

Karate Kid Scene (1984, duration = 2 min 42 s)

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟561,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Seek Peace When Possible

Buy a Sword

A GLOCK for the Flock
Hasn’t there like, always been sin? How is it only now a problem?

Other countries full of sinners don’t seem to have nearly the gun violence problem we have in this country, so I don’t think that’s quite the source of it. No, there’s gotta be more to it than sin.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hasn’t there like, always been sin? How is it only now a problem?

Other countries full of sinners don’t seem to have nearly the gun violence problem we have in this country, so I don’t think that’s quite the source of it. No, there’s gotta be more to it than sin.
Yeah, you are right. I pulled up this color coded graph of world countries, and the US is an outlier for Northern Hemisphere countries. Probably cos the EU has guns as well (such as in Germany), but has better gun screenings, so that people with underlying mental health issues are not given a gun. To be honest, I am surprised that Germany has stricter gun laws, as the country has many miles of deregulated autobahn. But hey, that sounds fun. No speed limits on certain road sections, less gun violence, good European chocolate. One thing that America outshines Germany in is the entertainment industry. Our shows are better: German Movies are bad | 5 reasons on ERGOCINEMA

As of 2020, Germans must follow these rules:

1) be at least 18 years old,

2) have the necessary "reliability" and "personal aptitude,"

3) demonstrate the necessary "specialized knowledge," (gun class)

4) demonstrate a "need" (eg. hunting, self-defense, or join a shooting club)

5) have liability insurance for personal injury and property damage of at least €1 million.

German Gun Info: Gun control and firearms possession in Germany – DW – 12/12/2022
World Gun Deaths: Global gun violence and laws compared — by the numbers

1715629954746.png

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

Jesus Christ is the Eternal God
May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟3,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married

Seek Peace When Possible

Buy a Sword

A GLOCK for the Flock
Very well said. I especially enjoyed the last segment.

It reminds me of passages from the Book of Mormon.

During an era of strife when the people of Nephi were constantly being harassed and attacked by the people of Laman the record claims,

"And it came to pass that they came many times against us, the Nephites, to battle. But our kings and our leaders were mighty men in the faith of the Lord; and they taught the people the ways of the Lord; wherefore, we withstood the Lamanites and swept them away out of our lands, and began to fortify our cities, or whatsoever place of our inheritance.

And we multiplied exceedingly, and spread upon the face of the land, and became exceedingly rich in gold, and in silver, and in precious things, and in fine workmanship of wood, in buildings, and in machinery, and also in iron and copper, and brass and steel, making all manner of tools of every kind to till the ground, and weapons of war—yea, the sharp pointed arrow, and the quiver, and the dart, and the javelin, and all preparations for war.

And thus being prepared to meet the Lamanites, they did not prosper against us. But the word of the Lord was verified, which he spake unto our fathers, saying that: Inasmuch as ye will keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land." (Jarom 1:7-9)

If we seek first the Kingdom of God - all other things will be added unto us.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟3,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
Really? Jesus did not turn the other cheek? That's news to me.
That reference can only be understood within the proper context.

The Lord was instructing people not to lash out if you were offended or "struck" - but to "turn the other cheek" which means to give those that offended you a chance to explain what they did and to hopefully realize that they were wrong for offending or striking you.

The Lord's command that we "turn the other check" was not instruction that we become punching bags.

Be calm and collected. Be patient and humble. Be love personified - but be prepared to defend yourself if someone means to harm you.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟497,277.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That reference can only be understood within the proper context.

The Lord was instructing people not to lash out if you were offended or "struck" - but to "turn the other cheek" which means to give those that offended you a chance to explain what they did and to hopefully realize that they were wrong for offending or striking you.

The Lord's command that we "turn the other check" was not instruction that we become punching bags.

Be calm and collected. Be patient and humble. Be love personified - but be prepared to defend yourself if someone means to harm you.
I might have to re-read the relevant chapters again, but as far as I remembered, when they put Jesus on trial, he didn't give his accusers time to rethink their actions before bringing down divine judgement onto their heads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟3,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
I might have to re-read the relevant chapters again, but as far as I remembered, when they put Jesus on trial, he didn't give his accusers time to rethink their actions before bringing down divine judgement onto their heads.
What "divine judgment"?

The Lord Jesus Christ was meant to die on the cross - it had been promised from before the Earth had been formed.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟294,450.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you support the US government having weapons Fantine?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟497,277.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What "divine judgment"?

The Lord Jesus Christ was meant to die on the cross - it had been promised from before the Earth had been formed.
So.. when did he not turn the other cheek?

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟3,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
So.. when did he not turn the other cheek?
Every time He spoke out against those who lied about Him and accused Him falsely.

Do you remember what He did to the moneychangers in the Temple?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What "divine judgment"?

It must have been an interesting “day” when this promise was pitched within the godhead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟3,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
It must have been an interesting “day” when this promise was pitched within the godhead.
I believe that it was a matter of course.

I believe that the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ is an infinite one.

He has always been and will always be our Lord, God, Savior, Redeemer, Advocate, Mediator, Judge, Brother and Friend.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that it was a matter of course.

I believe that the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ is an infinite one.

He has always been and will always be our Lord, God, Savior, Redeemer, Advocate, Mediator, Judge, Brother and Friend.
I am very glad that you have found a fount to rest your weary soul in. It must be a very positive influence for you.

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟3,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
I am very glad that you have found a fount to rest your weary soul in. It must be a very positive influence for you.
It is and I am grateful to my God for loving me. I don't know why He does.

I definitely don't believe that I deserve it.

No matter what. Remember that God loves you. I wish everyone knew it.

Upvote 0