• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

What does “non-denominational” mean to you (pros and cons)?

patience7

Oct 11, 2010
Louisiana
✟17,406.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My church, Calvary Chapel, considers themselves a non-denominational church. Sometimes I wonder why, but then I realize I really couldn't care less.

I consider myself non-denominational because I can (and have) attend a baptist church without agreeing with them on every gift of the Spirit matter, and I can (and have) attend a Weslyan church and not agree on their doctrine on the loss of salvation, and I can (and have) attend a charismatic church and not have to agree that I must bark like a dog to be "spiritual".

So, that's what non-denominational means to me, that I'm not bound to the beliefs of any particular denomination.

I tend to agree with you on this subject!

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The term "non-denominational" is commonly misunderstood. All it means is that a church is not affiliated with a larger organization. The term has nothing to do with doctrine, really. A church can have an identical statement of beliefs to that of the AOG, but if it's not officially associated with the AoG, then it's non-denominational.

Most non-denominational churches have statements of beliefs - usually available on their websites - just like the denominational churches do.

And being affiliated with a denomination doesn't guarantee that you're going to know what a church believes on certain issues. Even within denominations there are some variances in beliefs. There are some things that some of us believe are essential and important that never show up on the statement of beliefs (e.g. whether women can be church leaders). And not every church in any given denomination believes the same on those issues.

The only way to know for sure what a church believes and teaches is to attend the church for at least year. That's true whether it's denominational or not.

JimB said:
She still preferred a non-denominational church.

Did you ask her why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟30,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My church, Calvary Chapel, considers themselves a non-denominational church. Sometimes I wonder why, but then I realize I really couldn't care less.

I consider myself non-denominational because I can (and have) attend a baptist church without agreeing with them on every gift of the Spirit matter, and I can (and have) attend a Weslyan church and not agree on their doctrine on the loss of salvation, and I can (and have) attend a charismatic church and not have to agree that I must bark like a dog to be "spiritual".

So, that's what non-denominational means to me, that I'm not bound to the beliefs of any particular denomination.

Perfect explanation and one that I agree with.

The non-denominational churches that I have attended had beautiful worship and wonderful words of wisdom and all about our Jesus and did not overflow with legalism.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟30,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I totally agree with this.

The non-denominational churches I have attended had beautiful worship- wonderful words about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and did not overflow with legalism.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I totally agree with this.

The non-denominational churches I have attended had beautiful worship- wonderful words about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and did not overflow with legalism.

You're fortunate. I know some “independent” non-denominational churches in our region that are a legalist throwback to the 1940’s. One is a Oneness church that does not believe in the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. IMO, the name non-denominational means nothing. A non-denominational church could be anything, even a cult.

~Jim

Love God. Love people. Period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're fortunate. I know some “independent” non-denominational churches in our region that are a legalist throwback to the 1940’s. One is a Oneness church that does not believe in the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. IMO, the name non-denominational means nothing. A non-denominational church could be anything, even a cult.

~Jim

Same here...there's a few around here you couldn't pay me to be a member of.

One, some friends of ours started going to several years ago and invited us...we had just left another church...go and visit, my friends had told the pastor that I was a music minister, so he asked me to sing...next thing I know he's trying to convince us to join and be the music minister there...something didn't seem right so I told him I'd pray about it...we visited a few more times, then I find out the Sunday School superintendent is a convicted child molester...the last time my wife and I walked in there I had an image flash before me of all the congregation having an orgy...I knew that was it, and we turned around and went home.

Come to find out a few months later the "church" was forced out of the neighborhood they were in...ended up moving into an old school building until they were forced out of there as well...I can only imagine what was going on.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Same here...there's a few around here you couldn't pay me to be a member of.

One, some friends of ours started going to several years ago and invited us...we had just left another church...go and visit, my friends had told the pastor that I was a music minister, so he asked me to sing...next thing I know he's trying to convince us to join and be the music minister there...something didn't seem right so I told him I'd pray about it...we visited a few more times, then I find out the Sunday School superintendent is a convicted child molester...the last time my wife and I walked in there I had an image flash before me of all the congregation having an orgy...I knew that was it, and we turned around and went home.

Come to find out a few months later the "church" was forced out of the neighborhood they were in...ended up moving into an old school building until they were forced out of there as well...I can only imagine what was going on.

Wow

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah it was creepy...our friends that were going there ended up getting a divorce...he had started sleeping around on her and she had started using drugs again...the pastor, who preferred to be called apostle, wanted all of the women to wear revealing clothing...he had some really strange teachings on the end times, can't remember all of them...but he had some idea about the mark of the beast being the veins in people's hands and foreheads twisting into the shape 666...they always kept a candle burning at the altar...I didn't know this, and I think it was the second time we visited we stayed after service because the pastor wanted to talk with us...he's turning off the lights and I go over to blow out the candle and his wife starts screaming, "No!! You'll blow the spirit out!" I was like, "Oooookaaaaay."

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh another thing about this church...it's name was Masada...for those that don't know about Masada...

The rampart was complete in the spring of 73, after probably two to three months of siege, allowing the Romans to finally breach the wall of the fortress with a battering ram on April 16.[5] When they entered the fortress, however, the Romans discovered that its 960 inhabitants had set all the buildings but the food storerooms ablaze and committed mass suicide.

Masada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah it was creepy...our friends that were going there ended up getting a divorce...he had started sleeping around on her and she had started using drugs again...the pastor, who preferred to be called apostle, wanted all of the women to wear revealing clothing...he had some really strange teachings on the end times, can't remember all of them...but he had some idea about the mark of the beast being the veins in people's hands and foreheads twisting into the shape 666...they always kept a candle burning at the altar...I didn't know this, and I think it was the second time we visited we stayed after service because the pastor wanted to talk with us...he's turning off the lights and I go over to blow out the candle and his wife starts screaming, "No!! You'll blow the spirit out!" I was like, "Oooookaaaaay."

Yes...this is the reason I am leary of non-denom churches. Of course there are big variations inside denoms as well, but not nearly as freaky as what you describe.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes...this is the reason I am leary of non-denom churches. Of course there are big variations inside denoms as well, but not nearly as freaky as what you describe.
True.

But, in all fairness...the church that I was saved in was nondenom...the pastor had been an Southern Baptist pastor for 30 years and then he got Spirit Filled, along with 10 or 12 others in his church, and they left to start this one...it was basically Baptist with Holy Ghost twist...which seems to be the case for a lot of nondenom churches...but there are some real freaky ones too.

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some people pride themselves in being “non-denominational.” The other day I got a call from someone who wanted to know if the Vineyard was a denomination. When I said it was (sort of) they informed me that they could not attend our church because it was a denomination. They were looking for a “non-denominational” church.

“Any non-denominational church?” I asked.

Yes, she said. She didn’t believe in denominations.

“Well,” I said, “a denomination at least says a bit about what the church believes. But a non-denominational church can believe anything; you never know what you’re getting with a non-denom.”

She still preferred a non-denominational church.

So, I recommended a church across town that prides itself as being non-denominational. Only, it’s a fundamentalist split off the local LDS church that believes in polygamy, that their members are little “gods” destined to inherit a planet someday, that Lucifer is the brother of Jesus, and that you can only be baptized if you believe these (plus a weird few other) things. But at least they’re non-denominational.

“But how would you know if I hadn’t told you?” I asked. “At least you know what the Vineyard (or for that matter Baptist, or Assembly of God, or Presbyterian, or Methodist, or Nazarene, or any other denom) believes and values without learning it after the fact or without getting burned after you join up.”

So, for the sake of discussion, what are the pros and cons of denominations and what are the pros and cons of non-denominational churches.

~Jim

This is why I don't go to church.

Non-denominational churches can often times be cults, which is even worse than the dogma of denominations. It's a lose-lose situation, really.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is why I don't go to church.

Non-denominational churches can often times be cults, which is even worse than the dogma of denominations. It's a lose-lose situation, really.
You could always start your own church. :D

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You could always start your own church. :D

I've thought about it...

But I don't feel right about asking for money and donations. I feel guilty about that. Jesus never took up an offering.

I have a good job which I enjoy, so I'll stick with that instead for now. I'm doing a great deal of good for people anyway, and even helping non-believers too. :)

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've thought about it...

But I don't feel right about asking for money and donations. I feel guilty about that. Jesus never took up an offering.

I have a good job which I enjoy, so I'll stick with that instead for now. I'm doing a great deal of good for people anyway, and even helping non-believers too. :)

Maybe Jesus didn't...we don't know...the apostles did though...

But, you could go the house church route...

Upvote 0