• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Trump is US version of Yeltsin

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟43,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see the following parallels between Trump and Yeltsin:

1) Trump mobilizing crowd in January 6 is similar to Yeltsin mobilizing barricades to resist 1991 coup. Yeltsin stood at the top of the barricades. Trump wanted to do the same thing (by following the crowd into the capital), they just didn't let him.

2) Just like Yeltsin is accused of betraying Russia and collaborating with the US, similarly Trump is accused of betraying US and collaborating with Russia

3) Both Yeltsin and Trump wanted radical reforms. Yeltsin was more successful at them, because Trump was stopped. But their intentions were similar

4) Yeltsin was impeached in 1993, Trump was impeached too. In Trump's case they voted to impeach him but they didn't vote to remove him from power. In Yeltsin's case they decided to remove him from power too, thats why Yeltsin dismantled the parliament to stay in power.

5) If you are of the view that American leftism is communism, then both Yeltsin and Trump oppose communism. By the way, I don't agree American leftism is communism. Soviet Communists didn't support homosexuality. So I have a lot more respect for Soviet communists than for American leftists. But still, if you follow a tradition (that I disagree with) of equating the two, then both Yeltsin and Trump opposed those counterparts.

6) Yeltsin used to be part of communist party, then left to oppose it. Trump used to be a democrat, then left democratic party to oppose it.

7) Yeltsin was known for wild behavior (including being intoxicated), Trump is too (the only difference is that Trump doesn't drink).

8) Their body types are also similar, both are overweight.

9) Yeltsin refused privileges that were normally offered to Russian leaders, including fancy houses, etc. Trump refused presidential salary, and only accepted 1 dollar a year.

Last edited:

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟766,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
By the way, I don't agree American leftism is communism. Soviet Communists didn't support homosexuality. So I have a lot more respect for Soviet communists than for American leftists.

Says a lot about your own personal lack of moral direction and discernment than it does anything else.

Tolerating the existence of gay people is more offensive to you than an authoritarian regime that killed millions of people. That's a you problem, and you should get it sorted out with God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟43,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Says a lot about your own personal lack of moral direction and discernment than it does anything else.

Tolerating the existence of gay people is more offensive to you than an authoritarian regime that killed millions of people. That's a you problem, and you should get it sorted out with God.

-CryptoLutheran

Let me clarify: I wasn't referring to Stalin era, I was instead referring to Brezhnev era

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟313,438.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

-CryptoLutheran
That describes the USA rather perfectly no?

Upvote 0

Francis 1928

Jul 10, 2024
Simpsonville
✟17,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lets not jump down this persons throat too much . I do however find the message quite disturbing . Why compare the two to begin with . Grant as far as I am concerned, I am voting for the lesser evil so Trump all the way.I cannot bring myself to vote for a former segragationalist with dementia .

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟43,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You wrote "Why compare the two to begin with".

--- I wasn't doing it to discourage vote for Trump. Quite the opposite actually: I know some people who think that when Yeltsin went on barricades he was a hero but when Trump did January 6 he was a criminal. They don't realize they did the same exact thing. Also the similarity that Yeltsin refused fancy houses and Trump refused the salary is rather striking.

You wrote "I do however find the message quite disturbing"

--- Why do you find it disturbing? I didn't say I was trying to discredit Trump did I? In order to say this, you would have to assume that I think Yeltsin is incarnation of evil. Which is not entirely true. A lot of people actually admire him for what he did in 1991, which would be a good point to support Trump's action in January 6. Although Yeltsin is not an incarnation of good either: he was drunk as stated in this post. So am I pro-Trump with this post or anti-Trump? Neither. I am saying both their good qualities and bad qualities resemble each other which is ironic.

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟43,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, both wanted to be totalitarian dictators.

Thats up to interpretation. In both cases, some say they wanted to be dictators and others say they wanted to offer freedom. And, regardless, neither being a dictator nor offering freedom is unique, not by a long stretch.

But some other things ARE unique to those two. Such as Yeltsin going on barricades in 1991 and Trump going to the capital in January 6, or Yeltsin refusing presidential houses and Trump refusing presidential salary. Those similarities are rather striking.

Upvote 0

Francis 1928

Jul 10, 2024
Simpsonville
✟17,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You wrote "Why compare the two to begin with".

--- I wasn't doing it to discourage vote for Trump. Quite the opposite actually: I know some people who think that when Yeltsin went on barricades he was a hero but when Trump did January 6 he was a criminal. They don't realize they did the same exact thing. Also the similarity that Yeltsin refused fancy houses and Trump refused the salary is rather striking.

You wrote "I do however find the message quite disturbing"

--- Why do you find it disturbing? I didn't say I was trying to discredit Trump did I? In order to say this, you would have to assume that I think Yeltsin is incarnation of evil. Which is not entirely true. A lot of people actually admire him for what he did in 1991, which would be a good point to support Trump's action in January 6. Although Yeltsin is not an incarnation of good either: he was drunk as stated in this post. So am I pro-Trump with this post or anti-Trump? Neither. I am saying both their good qualities and bad qualities resemble each other which is ironic.
I just dont to read about the man we are trying to get elected compared to Russian leader in general. We have tried hard for years to keep him and them out the same conversations whenever the liberals try to connect them. I do however think it was well thought out thesis

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟43,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just dont to read about the man we are trying to get elected compared to Russian leader in general. We have tried hard for years to keep him and them out the same conversations whenever the liberals try to connect them. I do however think it was well thought out thesis

Yeltsin and Putin arent the same. In fact they are opposite to each other since Putin is trying to undo what Yeltsin did. So compating Trump to Yeltsin is a brand new topic never discussed before which is why its so interesting.

It seems like, instead of reading the ideas for themselves, you are trying to map them to what was said before. Liberals compare Trump to Putin to criticize him? So me comparing Trump to Yeltsin must have the same agenda! But I am not like others, i dont like to parrot what others say (on either side). I like to have my own original thoughts. Yet i get accused of things simply because a part of my thought reminds them of something so everything else i say must be whatever they were reminded of.

I will be honest. I did have agenda. But not anywhere close to the one you were thinking of. Back in Yeltsins days i was a kid (I was 11 when he stood on baricades and i was 20 at the time of his resignation). So a desperate part of me thinks "if only we were to get back those old political figures i would be young again". And thats why the idea of Trump being like Yeltsin feels so good. Another such example is that people compare Putin to Brezhnev in order to criticize him. But i am like "I hope they are right: Brezhnev died when i was 2 years old, would be nice to start life all over again".

Edited to add: I am from Russia and I immigrated to US in 1994, when I was 14. Thats why a lot of my nostalgy is Russia-themed. Although i miss some of the US things too. I miss the 90s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟216,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it interesting that when Trump said we need to "fight" for our country it is taken as promoting
the violence that happened on Jan 6, but when BLM use the word "fight," it was not taken as
promoting violence despite the cities burning down in the BLM protest?

Also, Biden has used the phrase "we need to keep fighting" but he mis not accused of promoting violence. :D

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟43,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Isn't it interesting that when Trump said we need to "fight" for our country it is taken as promoting
the violence that happened on Jan 6, but when BLM use the word "fight," it was not taken as
promoting violence despite the cities burning down in the BLM protest?

Also, Biden has used the phrase "we need to keep fighting" but he mis not accused of promoting violence. :D

I agree with you. And your comparison of reaction to words logically parallels the comparison of reaction to actions. BLM in summer 2020 physically destroyed a lot more than Jan 6, yet Jan 6 got stronger reaction.

And both of this parallels what i talked about in OP. Jan 6 is basically exactly what Yeltsin did in 1991 on barricades (and then what Yeltsin did in 1993 dismantling parliament way surpasses it). But liberals view Yeltsin in more favorabke light than Trump because they see Yeltsin as a liberal.

Upvote 0