• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The “Greatest Commandment” was also not found in the ‘10 Commandments’ …

Deuteronomy 6:4-5 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
So the greatest commandments are not found in the Ten Commandments? To love God with all thy heart, thy soul and might.

So we can break this very first commandment in the Ten Commandments and this is obeying the greatest commandment by worshipping other gods and ignoring what He personally wrote and personally spoke? Exo 32:16 Exo 31:18

Exo 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

This is not how the apostles interpreted the greatest commandments- shall we have a look?

Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” [b]“You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

The greatest commandments are found right in the Ten Commandments

The first four how we are to Lord the Lord

Exodus 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor [b]serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting[c] the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The last six how we love our neighbor

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
13 “You shall not murder.
14 “You shall not commit adultery.
15 “You shall not steal.
16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

All of the law and prophets hangs on these two commandments- loving God and loving neighbor.

Hangs does not mean we delete; it means ALL of God's Word is about love. And love to man and love to God which is keeping God's commandments 1 John 5:2-3 is summarized in love. The summary does not delete the details.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Amen to your exegesis. Man, you did some good work on comparing the OT with the NT. :) In early June of this year, I found out that Jesus himself spoke six of the 10 commandments in Matthew 19:17-19.

Jesus taught the 10 Commandments. :) I never knew this. Matthew 19:17-19 (KJV): “And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
Jesus taught on all of the commandments of God. When Jesus said not to break or teach others to break the least of these commandments- He was quoting directly from the Ten Commandments Mat 5:19-30 that He said heaven and earth would pass before one dot of an i or cross of a t could pass (be changed) from God's law until all is fulfilled, and that is when Jesus comes on the clouds. Jesus taught when we keep our traditions over obeying God's commandments again teaching directly from the Ten Commandments Mat 15:3-14 our hearts are far from Him (opposite of the New Covenant Heb 8:10) and one worships in vain because no one has authority over God to change something as small as a dot of an i yet alone edit or remove an entire commandment. If we place our faith in God's Word- that is to be the light to our path Psa 119:105 He will only lead us on the narrow path. Jesus came to show us the WAY and led by example, our example 1 John 2:6 Follow the Lamb!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus taught on all of the commandments of God. When Jesus said not to break or teach others to break the least of these commandments- He was quoting directly from the Ten Commandments Mat 5:19-30 that He said heaven and earth would pass before one dot of an i or cross of a t could pass (be changed) from God's law until all is fulfilled, and that is when Jesus comes on the clouds. Jesus taught when we keep our traditions from obeying God's commandments again teaching directly from the Ten Commandments Mat 15:3-14 our hearts are far from Him (opposite of the New Covenant Heb 8:10) and one worships in vain because no one has authority of God to change something as small as a dot of an i yet alone edit an entire commandment. If we place our faith in God's Word- that is to be the light to our path Psa 119:105 He will only lead us on the narrow path. Jesus came to show us the WAY and lead by example. Follow the Lamb!
That is true, but remember that Jesus will forgive us if we stumble. So I agree with you. Anyways, I am off to watch a documentary about some National Parks, as those parks showcase God's creation.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is true, but remember that Jesus will forgive us if we stumble. So I agree with you. Anyways, I am off to watch a documentary about some National Parks, as those parks showcase God's creation.
Yes, we serve a longsuffering Savior, but when He heals us from sin- He says go and sin no more. True repentance means a sorry heart and a change in direction.

We are told we not only need to confess us our sins, we need to forsake them. Pro 28:13 our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21

While we can't do it in our own strength, we can through the power of Jesus Christ Matthew 19:26 and He doesn't make us do it alone John 14:15-18 but it does require our cooperation and love of God, that we would be willing to forsake our rules and traditions to be a servant of Christ, just like the apostles did. This requires a lifestyle change, which can be tough living in a world full of sin, but can be done through Christ.

God bless!

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟119,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the greatest commandments are not found in the Ten Commandments? To love God with all thy heart, thy soul and might.
Nope ... When Jesus was asked what was the Greatest Commandment, he responded with a quote that was NOT from the Ten Commandments. The "Shema" (Deuteronomy 6:4-5) is not the 10 commandments. It was not part of the words written on the stone tablets. I am surprised that you don't know that with all the emphasis and research you place on the 10 commandments. I would have thought you would know EXACTLY what they say, verbatim.

So we can break this very first commandment in the Ten Commandments and this is obeying the greatest commandment by worshipping other gods and ignoring what He personally wrote and personally spoke? Exo 32:16 Exo 31:18
YOU can do whatever YOU please. Neither I nor Jesus ever suggested any such thing. Many people have broken the first Commandment and ALL MEN have broken the Greatest Commandment (except Christ, and he is fully God and fully man) ... that is why "No one is good except God." [Matthew 19:17]

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nope ... When Jesus was asked what was the Greatest Commandment, he responded with a quote that was NOT from the Ten Commandments. The "Shema" (Deuteronomy 6:4-5) is not the 10 commandments. It was not part of the words written on the stone tablets. I am surprised that you don't know that with all the emphasis and research you place on the 10 commandments. I would have thought you would know EXACTLY what they say, verbatim.

YOU can do whatever YOU please. Neither I nor Jesus ever suggested any such thing. Many people have broken the first Commandment and ALL MEN have broken the Greatest Commandment (except Christ, and he is fully God and fully man) ... that is why "No one is good except God." [Matthew 19:17]
Yes, the greatest commandment is loving God with everything we have. Why would you think that would not include obeying His commandments. The scripture tells us it is, I'm sticking with that.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we serve a longsuffering Savior, but when He heals us from sin- He says go and sin no more. True repentance means a sorry heart and a change in direction.

We are told we not only need to confess us our sins, we need to forsake them. Pro 28:13 our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21

While we can't do it in our own strength, we can through the power of Jesus Christ Matthew 19:26 and He doesn't make us do it alone John 14:15-18 but it does require our cooperation and love of God, that we would be willing to forsake our rules and traditions to be a servant of Christ, just like the apostles did. This requires a lifestyle change, which can be tough living in a world full of sin, but can be done through Christ.

God bless!
Amen to that. I am already slowly getting over a few of my own sins.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Amen to that. I am already slowly getting over a few of my own sins.
Give it to Jesus, keep your eyes on Jesus and He will give us the power to overcome. God is good and loves us so much, He doesn't make us do it alone, but we do have to cooperate John 14:15-18

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Give it to Jesus, keep your eyes on Jesus and He will give us the power to overcome. God is good and loves us so much, He doesn't make us do it alone, but we do have to cooperate John 14:15-18
I have given my sins to Jesus. He has helped me with my bisexual tendencies, and has always kept me celibate.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have given my sins to Jesus. He has helped me with my bisexual tendencies, and has always kept me celibate.

I will keep you in my prayers!

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟211,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FACT CHECK: The Fourth Commandment

• Exodus 20:8-11 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. For six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the LORD your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

• Matthew 12:8 "For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."
  • Mark 2:27-28 Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord, even of the Sabbath."
  • Luke 4:16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

… I am going to stop here. This NT support is not even CLOSE to presenting a command like the Fourth Commandment. It just proves that “Saturday” still existed and Jesus kept the 10 commandments like all practicing Jews. This comes as a surprise to no one.
And Paul by the Holy Spirit wrote Col 2:16 , Therefore , do NOT // ME is a Disjuncative Particle Negative , means ley anyone

EVERRRRRRRRRRRR, EVER , let anyone JUDGE you in eating or in drinking or in respect of a feast day ro a New Moon

or SABBATHS ,

dan p

• Winner
Upvote 0

TheWayOfHoliness

Christian
Apr 26, 2024
Adelaide
✟12,722.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The seventh day Sabbath is God’s gift to humanity. It was blessed and sanctified by God after He had created the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them. It was written into the Ten Commandments by His finger, was kept, and taught by Jesus Christ, and was observed by the apostolic church. A memorial of both creation and redemption, it should be faithfully celebrated by believers now as a day of rest, worship, and well-doing.

The Sabbath, as outlined in Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:8-11, falls on the seventh day of the week, which is Saturday. However, it's important to note that according to Genesis 1:5, God declared that a new day begins at sundown, not at midnight. Therefore, the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday.

Here’s where the Sabbath was first instituted by God:​

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation. (Genesis 2:1-3 ESV)

Here God defines when a day commences and finishes, from evening to morning:​

God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day. (Genesis 1:5 ESV)

Here’s the fourth commandment:​

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11 ESV)

Upvote 0

TheWayOfHoliness

Christian
Apr 26, 2024
Adelaide
✟12,722.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I thought the Sabbath was on Sunday?​

The key to this one can be found in the very name… [Sun]day. From the beginning to the end of the Bible there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of the Sabbath from the seventh day of the week to the first. True Christians have always maintained obedience to the fourth commandment and kept the seventh day Sabbath. History shows the official day change began with the Roman Emperor Constantine on March 7, 321 AD, when he passed an edict requiring Sunday, “the venerable day of the Sun”, to be kept as a day of rest in favour of Sun worship as was customary in ancient Babylon and with the pagans. This change was finalized by the Papacy of the Roman Catholic church in 363-364 AD, for which they still claim credit for.

The Sabbath was almost murdered out of existence throughout the terrible 1260 years (538-1798 AD) of the “dark ages”, when the Roman Catholic church ruled as church and state. Many Christians were tortured and killed by the Roman Catholic church for keeping the seventh day Sabbath. Even to this day the Roman Catholic church claims authority to be able to change both “the times” and “the law” (see Daniel 7:25) – this is clearly manifested in their changing of the Ten Commandments (the complete removal of 2nd commandment on idolatry, the changing of the 4th commandment to “The Lord’s Day” meaning [Sun]day, and to maintain 10, the splitting the 10th commandment in two, becoming the 9th and 10th).

Ultimately, the seventh day is the only day blessed and made holy by God as the Sabbath. “So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.” Hebrews 4:9-13.

"Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change (Saturday Sabbath to Sunday) was her act... And the act is a MARK of her ecclesiastical authority in religious things." H.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons. Nov. 11, 1895

"Sunday is our MARK or authority. . .the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact" Catholic Record of London, Ontario Sept 1,1923.

"Sunday is founded, not of scripture, but on tradition. As there is no scripture for the transfer of the day of rest from the last to the first day of the week, Protestants ought to keep their Sabbath on Saturday and thus leave Catholics in full possession of Sunday." - Catholic Record, September 17, 1893.

"Some have suffered torture because they would not rest when others kept Sunday, for they declared it to be the holiday and law of Antichrist." - Sebastian Frank, AD 1536. By this time in history the Seventh day Sabbath was severely under attack.

"Sunday...It is the law of the Catholic Church alone..." American Sentinel (Catholic) June 1893

"The Catholic church," declared Cardinal Gibbons, "by virtue of her divine mission changed the day from Saturday to Sunday." Catholic Mirror Sept. 23 1983. (Official organ of Cardinal Gibbons)

"The Bible says, Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day. The Catholic church says, No! By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day, and command you to keep the first day of the week. And lo, the entire civilized world bows down in reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic church!" Father Enright, C.S.S.R. of the Redemptoral College, Kansas City, History of the Sabbath, p. 802

Many more quotes can be found here: Words of the Beast

1722046620004.png

Upvote 0

TheWayOfHoliness

Christian
Apr 26, 2024
Adelaide
✟12,722.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Catechism of the Catholic Church – II. The Lord’s Day:

We all gather on the day of the sun, …”

Then he said to me, "Have you seen this, O son of man? You will see still greater abominations than these." And he brought me into the inner court of the house of the LORD. And behold, at the entrance of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men, with their backs to the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east, worshiping the sun toward the east. Then he said to me, "Have you seen this, O son of man? Is it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations that they commit here, that they should fill the land with violence and provoke me still further to anger? Behold, they put the branch to their nose. Therefore I will act in wrath. My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity. And though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, I will not hear them." (Ezekiel 8:15-18 ESV)

And beware lest you raise your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, you be drawn away and bow down to them and serve them, things that the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven. (Deuteronomy 4:19 ESV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟248,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We all gather on the day of the sun, …”

Then he said to me, "Have you seen this, O son of man? You will see still greater abominations than these." And he brought me into the inner court of the house of the LORD. And behold, at the entrance of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men, with their backs to the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east, worshiping the sun toward the east. Then he said to me, "Have you seen this, O son of man? Is it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations that they commit here, that they should fill the land with violence and provoke me still further to anger? Behold, they put the branch to their nose. Therefore I will act in wrath. My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity. And though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, I will not hear them." (Ezekiel 8:15-18 ESV)

And beware lest you raise your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, you be drawn away and bow down to them and serve them, things that the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven. (Deuteronomy 4:19 ESV)
It's worthwhile to read the complete text:

II. The Lord's Day

This is the day which the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.103

The day of the Resurrection: the new creation

2174 Jesus rose from the dead "on the first day of the week."104 Because it is the "first day," the day of Christ's Resurrection recalls the first creation. Because it is the "eighth day" following the sabbath,105 it symbolizes the new creation ushered in by Christ's Resurrection. For Christians it has become the first of all days, the first of all feasts, the Lord's Day (he kuriake hemera, dies dominica) Sunday:

We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.106

Sunday - fulfillment of the sabbath

2175 Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ's Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ:107

Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.108

2176 The celebration of Sunday observes the moral commandment inscribed by nature in the human heart to render to God an outward, visible, public, and regular worship "as a sign of his universal beneficence to all."109 Sunday worship fulfills the moral command of the Old Covenant, taking up its rhythm and spirit in the weekly celebration of the Creator and Redeemer of his people.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Vambram, as Valletta and I are Catholic and the fact that the Catholic church uses a Catechism, what does the Baptist church use as a guide for their denomination? I know that the Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry is used somewhat amongst theologians. I have the 2009 edition on my computer, hooked up to a locally run, private AI, so I can chat with the document. Also, I have chatted with a smaller version of the Catholic Catechism and a book on 2000 years of Christian history.

Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry (2009 Edition)
1722096917639.png

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟7,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
@Vambram, as Valletta and I are Catholic and the fact that the Catholic church uses a Catechism, what does the Baptist church use as a guide for their denomination? I know that the Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry is used somewhat amongst theologians. I have the 2009 edition on my computer, hooked up to a locally run, private AI, so I can chat with the document. Also, I have chatted with a smaller version of the Catholic Catechism and a book on 2000 years of Christian history.

Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry (2009 Edition)
View attachment 352290
I could be wrong, and @Vambram is welcome to correct me, but as long as Vambram's specific identifier is void of any point of Calvinism, which would denote extra biblical input... My money is on Vambram being 100% B-I-B-L-E only in conjunction with the utterings of the Holy Spirit within.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I could be wrong, and @Vambram is welcome to correct me, but as long as Vambram's specific identifier is void of any point of Calvinism, which would denote extra biblical input... My money is on Vambram being 100% B-I-B-L-E only in conjunction with the utterings of the Holy Spirit within.
Amen, I think Vambram and I trust the Bible and the Holy Spirit over any theologian. :) Catholics also trust the Bible, Holy Spirit and also centuries of tradition as well, such as the Nicene Creed of 325 AD.

Upvote 0