• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

The Origin of Souls: Traducianism and Creationism

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟926,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
scripture please.
Huh?
I am saying the poster you addressed does NOT agree with the part you challenged there. He disagrees with it.

He spelled out both views on the subject, and only holds to one of those views.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟926,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟877,761.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I hope you are not marshaling an argument for the pre-existence of human souls....that before the foundation of the world God created a warehouse full of souls and them plots them into a person at conception? Multiple problems here. Multiple.

That's Platonism and clearly is gnostic (soul/good.... body/bad). Contrast this to Genesis....God's creation was good.

The pre-existent of course comes from Plato's theory of ideals. It Plato’s dialogue between Socrates and Pheado, he says,

The Fifth Ecumenical council also known as the Second Council of Constantinople condemned the teaching and Anathematized it as heresy.

Pre-existence solves nothing about the problem of evil because even if we were souls with properties and personalities, God would know each of those personalities "before" creating them (even without time, souls are still ontologically reliant on God for their existence and properties), so he would know who would rebel. I don't know why a loving God wouldn't simply just not create that soul. If God did create that soul this would de facto make God the author of evil and liable for sins continuance.

Creationist have a bear of a time with the problem of evil. You will notice when studying this issue....the problem of evil is clearly ignored. They run away from it always.

My advice to my fellow CF'ers....push the problem of evil. Make them solve two issues at the same time. Is God the author of evil and responsible for its continuance?

Jesus had a pre-existent divine nature, but a created body and soul......this is the only example we have in Scripture.

Well, there is this:

Ephesians 1:4

English Standard Version Anglicised

4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love

English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)
Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟122,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,328,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Traducianism seems to be more straightforward.

I tend to think about these things in terms of process metaphysics or qualified nondualism, and Traducianism seems more congruent with those assumptions.

I have never thought that Traducianism precluded the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. One doesn't seem to follow from the other. Traducianism could be true, and Mary could still be conceived without original sin through a special act of divine providence (though personally, this is a doctrine that I very much doubt, at least in the Augustinian conceptualization, but just for the sake of argument, I will concede it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟122,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mary could still be conceived without original sin
IMO, it is just as easy for the HS to allow Mary to concieve without Joseph as it is for Jesus to be born sinless from Mary who isn't. Neither is a greater miracle.

Upvote 0