• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Sound doctrine

standardlion

Jun 20, 2024
temuco
✟9,947.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If “pure sound doctrine” means without error, then according to me none of us has it.

I would have to be very arrogant to think I had perfect theology. I am so limited and God is soooooooo big. Even though He is generous with the Holy Spirit, the bible and creation, our ability to receive and understand is highly flawed.
I disagree

Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,655.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The older Bibles have more than 66 books.
Older than what? A Gospel Coalition website says:

While Augustine (which Augustine isn't specified) was the first significant theologian to argue for their full inclusion in the canon, it was not until the Council of Trent that the Roman Church officially declared the OT Apocrypha to be fully canonical. The NT apocryphal books, with one exception, were never contenders for inclusion in the Christian canon.

Anyway, I was answering a statement by someone who said, in response to a previous post of mine on this thread, that there were many different ideas about what constitutes the Word of God. I was just making clear what I meant by "the Word of God".

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟881,153.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

While Augustine (which Augustine isn't specified) was the first significant theologian to argue for their full inclusion in the canon, it was not until the Council of Trent that the Roman Church officially declared the OT Apocrypha to be fully canonical. The NT apocryphal books, with one exception, were never contenders for inclusion in the Christian canon.

Anyway, I was answering a statement by someone who said, in response to a previous post of mine on this thread, that there were many different ideas about what constitutes the Word of God. I was just making clear what I meant by "the Word of God".
For the Catholic Church, there was no need to define what books of the OT were considered scripture until Protestants removed some from the Bible. The Orthodox Churches didn't define this as the CC did. They had always used the Septuagint.

The Septuagint was the OT scripture used by the Apostles and is the text used by the NT writers for the quotes which Jesus used when quoting OT Scripture.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟254,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The process of the Catholic Church choosing the 73 books of the Bible spanned centuries. In the early centuries the Gospels were widely accepted as readings at Catholic mass, but the mass readings from other books varied from region to region. The Catholic Church set out to determine what was God-breathed text and what was not. There were a number of lists before the NT list of Saint Athanasius. The Catholic Church kept getting closer to this final list as time progressed., with Revelation being the last NT book decided upon. ALL APOCRYPHAL BOOKS WERE REJECTED. Saint Athanasius is credited with the first New Testament Biblical canon, his list is contained in his Thirty-Ninth Festal Letter of 367 A.D. This list was approved by Pope Damasus, and formally approved of by Councils at Hippo and Carthage in the late 300s. Pope Innocent I wrote a letter to the Bishop of Toulouse in 405 A.D. containing the list. The list was re-affirmed at Carthage in 419 A.D., by the Council of Florence 1442 A.D., and by the Council of Trent in 1546 A.D.

As to the Word of God, the Catholic Church considers both Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture to be the Word of God.

Upvote 0

Dead Eye

Jul 18, 2024
Prairieton
✟10,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luther wasn't an instrument of God?
No one in denominationalism instructed by human minds in there schools, churches, strudies, or books produced for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,655.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No one in denominationalism instructed by human minds in there schools, churches, strudies, or books produced for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Are you really saying that Luther held his beliefs in order to make money?

Upvote 0

Dead Eye

Jul 18, 2024
Prairieton
✟10,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you really saying that Luther held his beliefs in order to make money?
There is a difference in holding personal beliefs and taking and receiving money in the name of Jesus. For example tv preachers.

Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,655.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not Luther and his beliefs, seperate,
but those individuals receiving money for their religious works.
That makes a bit more sense. However, in my country (UK), at least, authors who write books based on reformed doctrines don't tend to make loads of money out of it.

Upvote 0