• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Some Evangelical Leaders Speaking Out Against Separating Child/Parent Migrates

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When and why did they move away from those? I remember seeing such a facility in an article a few years ago and thought that they were still in use.

We housed Japanese families together for several yrs.....
At least that was during a war. Since when were we at war with the Honduras?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟360,364.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Not all arrested persons go to jail. Many await their trial in other circumstances, sometimes in the bosom of their families. The shoplifter, in your example, would probably not be held in jail pending trial. Why is it so important to deal so harshly with perpetrators of what amounts to a victimless crime?
A person is given bail based upon circumstances. One of the largest is the persons likely hood of appearing for hearings. Knowing the situation of those coming here the odds are really high that if we let them go they will disappear.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,519,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then they should present themselves at a port of entry or the proper designated post at the border, as opposed to unlawfully entering the country and then alleging an asylum claim after be apprehended for unlawful entry.

Perhaps this is due to capacity, but there reports like the one below indicating the Trump Administration is literally blocking entry on border bridges:

Under a new policy, federal border agents stationed in the middle of international bridges are turning away asylum seekers like the Berduos, telling them there is no room in U.S. Customs and Border Protection stations for them.

Since arriving on Monday, the family said they had tried three times to cross into the U.S., and three times border agents turned them back.

Christina Patiño Houle, director of the Rio Grande Valley Equal Voice Network, says the administration is giving a mixed message. Federal officials are telling asylum applicants to stop wading across the river and entering unlawfully. Rather, they should come through an official port of entry.

"A message is being broadcast across the nation that migrants should be seeking asylum through official channels, and it's just not possible," Patiño Houle says. "What we're seeing on the ground is that people are being turned away. They're being told that either there's no room or they cannot enter the bridge."

After Traveling 2,000 Miles For Asylum, This Family's Journey Halts At A Bridge

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟519,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you think that's where they take people into Custody too?

I’ve said from the beginning people arrested are taken to a jail.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟519,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree. Stopping people from speeding protects people, property, and maintains order. Yet we obviously don't arrest every single person who speeds. You've stated an important premise, but it's not sufficient to justify arrest. I need more of an argument.

Really if possible, can we keep these posts in one back and forth? (*edit not meant in a badgering way, just don't want to get too sidetracked)

Bad analogy. Speeding isn’t a crime in many jurisdictions, but it’s an infraction and considered a civil action. People aren’t arrested for non-crimes. Where it’s considered criminal it’s not arrestable and treated differently because it is demonstrably a very low risk and threat to properly, order, and life.

And speeding isn’t always a potential threat to those interests I mentioned and doesn’t always implicate those interests we discussed, but illegally entering the country potentially does implicate those interests every time.

Regardless, you haven’t shown arresting people unlawfully entering as unjust and I did present the argument why it’s just.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟519,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The day after the standoff with the gangmembers, Rosa and her granddaughter fled. Fifteen days later, on November 18, 2016, they presented themselves at the Port of Entry in El Paso and asked for asylum. The granddaughter was released to her mother (who was living in the Houston area). Rosa, meanwhile, has been in Immigrations and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) EPPC detention center ever since—18 months and counting.
ICE Is Sending a Message to the World’s Asylum Seekers: The US Is No Place of Refuge

In this case there was family the granddaughter could go to stay with. If this had been a mother with small children they would have been separated.

I’m gonna look into this more but what they did seems to be impermissible under the law.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, afaik, people with strong asylum cases ask for asylum at the border. In that case, no crime is committed.

In 2016, 115,399 asylum applications were lodged at the border (but only 10.2% of those succeeded), while 65,218 asylum applications were made after deportation processes had started (and 13.4% succeeded).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In this case there was family the granddaughter could go to stay with. If this had been a mother with small children they would have been separated.

The Office of Refugee Resettlement handles children of detained adults on the same basis as unaccompanied children. They do their best to find relatives in the USA, I understand, and look for foster families otherwise.

The big question, I guess, is: should children be detained with their parents? Those countries that do that cop a lot of criticism.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,172,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My point was that we could afford to do it and found a way to do it (keeping families together). We should be able to find a way to keep these families together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟895,168.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My point was that we could afford to do it and found a way to do it (keeping families together). We should be able to find a way to keep these families together.

Let's be clear. It against the law to have an innocent child in jail for more than 21 days.

Yes, Trump could have decided not to arrest those with children who come over illegally. After all, these children come with their parents SOME of the time (less than 20%).

Trump could let Congress off the hook. Congress can INDEED pass a bill this week and put it on his desk. The policy wioul change since the law would change. Or Trump won't sign and the fight will be out int he open.

Obama and the courts have dealt with the fact that Congress won't act. Now Trump has refused to accept all this working around Congress.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟519,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We housed Japanese families together for several yrs.....

I gave this some thought, and they didn’t “house” people there arrested for a crime, charges, and facing prosecution.

There are legitimate safety concerns housing that many adults with minor children. It’s not wise or prudent to place in a detention center that many children with so many adults. It’s a recipe for disaster.

The Obama administration family detention centers were, if I recall correctly, for women with children who were 1 year of age or younger.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟519,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Why should this be done though?

It’s not done for U.S. citizens who are arrested and separated from the kids. Should it also be done for U.S. citizens? Should we just begin building family jails for U.S. parents arrested for a crime?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,172,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are legitimate safety concerns housing that many adults with minor children. It’s not wise or prudent to place in a detention center that many children with so many adults. It’s a recipe for disaster.

The Obama administration family detention centers were, if I recall correctly, for women with children who were 1 year of age or younger.
If it just families all the adults are parents of these children. I don't think that would be especially dangerous for the kids.

I can't say for sure but I pretty sure I saw photos of much older children than babies. I can't imagine what my 2 1/2 yr. old grandson would do if you took him away from his mom.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟640,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps this is due to capacity, but there reports like the one below indicating the Trump Administration is literally blocking entry on border bridges:

Under a new policy, federal border agents stationed in the middle of international bridges are turning away asylum seekers like the Berduos, telling them there is no room in U.S. Customs and Border Protection stations for them.

Since arriving on Monday, the family said they had tried three times to cross into the U.S., and three times border agents turned them back.

Christina Patiño Houle, director of the Rio Grande Valley Equal Voice Network, says the administration is giving a mixed message. Federal officials are telling asylum applicants to stop wading across the river and entering unlawfully. Rather, they should come through an official port of entry.

"A message is being broadcast across the nation that migrants should be seeking asylum through official channels, and it's just not possible," Patiño Houle says. "What we're seeing on the ground is that people are being turned away. They're being told that either there's no room or they cannot enter the bridge."

After Traveling 2,000 Miles For Asylum, This Family's Journey Halts At A Bridge

I was coming to post this. Reporting I saw said they are denying the ability to apply for asylum, causing people who feel they have no choice to cross illegally.

It was reported on Rachel Maddows show today that one father said to send him back to be killed as long as his daughter can stay and be safe.

The youngest a child is supposed to be and separated is 4, but we know that it is happening to younger kids, a breastfeeding child was taken from his mother's arms.

The agents aren't allowed to care for the kids in any manner. Other kids are being taught how to change diapers because agents aren't allowed to so it.

Even people who do enter legally and request asylum are having their kids snatched.

There is no method to track the kids and reunite them with their families.

I'm starting to get stressed and worn out. Feeling angry and helpless. Praying for the families and I will be donating next week. The recording of the children crying today sent me over the edge. The WH simultaneously lying about this being an intentional new policy, while doing their strut walk to take credit and brag is unbelievable. The fact that Trump has so successfully brainwashed his base to distrust media is allowing them to disregard reporting and having Kirstjen lying with dead eyes saying reports are false.

Something has to give.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟640,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Office of Refugee Resettlement handles children of detained adults on the same basis as unaccompanied children. They do their best to find relatives in the USA, I understand, and look for foster families otherwise.

The big question, I guess, is: should children be detained with their parents? Those countries that do that cop a lot of criticism.

It was reported the other day that they aren't handling all the children anymore. ICE is taking over part of it, if not all, and relatives are not coming to claim the children due to fear of being deported.

It was also reported that there is about 10,000 kids in our custody. At this rate of creating unaccompanied kids it will be 20,000 by August. Yet I'm expected to believe nothing has changed.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,519,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 2016, 115,399 asylum applications were lodged at the border (but only 10.2% of those succeeded), while 65,218 asylum applications were made after deportation processes had started (and 13.4% succeeded).

...and after Jeff Sessions precluded applicants who have suffered from gang or domestic violence, that number will go still lower.

It's a decision that has no basis in asylum guidelines.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,519,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm starting to get stressed and worn out. Feeling angry and helpless. Praying for the families and I will be donating next week. The recording of the children crying today sent me over the edge. The WH simultaneously lying about this being an intentional new policy, while doing their strut walk to take credit and brag is unbelievable. The fact that Trump has so successfully brainwashed his base to distrust media is allowing them to disregard reporting and having Kirstjen lying with dead eyes saying reports are false.

Yes, the blatant lying and finger pointing by Trump and his HHS Secretary today was hard to stomach.

This is the 2nd time Trump has exploited immigrant minors to further his political agenda. First it was DACA...and now this. In either case, Trump or his AG could end it with the stroke of a pen.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Since when are we at war with Canada? or Mexico? or China?

...Since Donald says so.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟39,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we are at war with mexican drug lords....

164,000 have died in the drug war in Mexico in the last few years.....
The Staggering Death Toll of Mexico's Drug War
thats more americans that died in veitnam

doesnt count all the inner city drug war deaths going on in America......
600 a year in chicago alone.....

there is only one solution....
BUILD THE WALL.....ASAP

Last edited:
Upvote 0