• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Putting chaplains in public school is the latest battle in culture wars (Wapo)

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So do fornicators and adulterers. Should we teach our children that those "lifestyles" are OK too?

That certain lifestyles can no longer be discriminated against does not equate to being "acceptable". That fact can be taught in civics class. It seems the public-school teachers in their curricula often slip into "promoting" the LGBTQ agenda.

Government monies? The government does not have any money that it did not first take from taxpayers. Why should my money be used to promote the LGBTQ agenda in my public schools?
Fornication and adultery are not "lifestyles."

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟71,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prisoners can't leave their prison to attend religious services elsewhere. Service personnel often have almost as little freedom to travel in the local community and can be deployed in foreign countries or surrounded by water.

School children go home to their families each night and don't even go to school on weekends. School children have gotten along just fine without school chaplains for decades.

They are also completely unnecessary.

I let someone else explain the 14th amendment (again).
The 14th Amendment has little of anything to do with this issue

it is the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment that is at play here.

like I said, there could be a violation depending on what the chaplains do in the course of the school day, what the scope of their duties are, etc. Simply having a chaplain on staff is NOT a violation of the First Amendment

whether or not prisoners can leave the prison is totally irrelevant as well, as is the assertion that "chaplains are unnecessary"

drag-queens are just as unnecessary, but leftists want those in schools

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

like I said, there could be a violation depending on what the chaplains do in the course of the school day, what the scope of their duties are, etc. Simply having a chaplain on staff is NOT a violation of the First Amendment

whether or not prisoners can leave the prison is totally irrelevant as well, as is the assertion that "chaplains are unnecessary"

Not as paid employees replacing credentialed counselors.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟893,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sounds great. Where is it being taught? How often do they get taught it?

Now it's your turn to share rhe curriculum or evidence that's it's being taught and how often.
You really want to sealion this side discussion, huh? I don't care whether you believe it's being taught, or whether you're satisfied with how frequently it's being taught. But since it's easy enough to show state social studies curricula:

Texas Administrative Code
TITLE 19EDUCATION
PART 2TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY
CHAPTER 113TEXAS ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS FOR SOCIAL STUDIES

Students examine the history and impact of major religious and philosophical traditions

(1) History. The student understands traditional historical points of reference in world history. The student is expected to:

(B) identify major causes and describe the major effects of the following events from 500 BC to AD 600: the development of the classical civilizations of Greece, Rome, Persia, India (Maurya and Gupta), China (Zhou, Qin, and Han), and the development of major world religions;

(C) identify major causes and describe the major effects of the following important turning points in world history from 600 to 1450: the spread of major world religions and their impact on Asia, Africa, and Europe and the Mongol invasions and their impact on Europe, China, India, and Southwest Asia;

Now it's your turn, show us the state curricula for teaching about sexuality that you object to.

• Winner
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟218,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Funny, I bet you participated in other threads about this. Why don't you go look those up instead of demanding I do the work for you again.
There are no threads that actually support your claim.
Can we just dispense with rhe whole nu uh it'd not happening silliness.
It's not happening. Your links don't support your claim. Nobody's teaching an 'agenda'. Telling students not to murder or persecute LGBT people is not a gay agenda.
I.bet you all bent out of shape over the don't say gay bills or legislation banning CRT from schools.
CRT is not being taught in schools, either. Nobody on these forums has been able to provide any actual examples of curricula that contain it.
Why be upset over stuff that isn't happening?
I agree!

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟218,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The government does not have any money that it did not first take from taxpayers. Why should my money be used to promote the LGBTQ agenda in my public schools?
It's not. It also can't be used to promote religious belief.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's not happening. Your links don't support your claim. Nobody's teaching an 'agenda'. Telling students not to murder or persecute LGBT people is not a gay agenda.
Actually that is the "gay agenda." The one and only.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟71,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no threads that actually support your claim.

CRT is not being taught in schools, either. Nobody on these forums has been able to provide any actual examples of curricula that contain it.

I agree!
LOL!

"CRT isn't being taught in schools"

you continue with this lie on this site, and even you know your own propaganda and disinformation is just that

I pointed out in detail on other posts how CRT is used in education, and that education in the US is based largely on Critical Pedagogy (Pablo Freire and other theorists created this--and it is the dominant theory in schools of education in the US)

The nation's largest teacher's unions (NEA and ATF) specifically endorse the teaching of CRT to kids and call for an expansion of those efforts. In their literature, and public statements, they assert:

""It is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory,"

Many CRT texts and related projects are used in school curriculums (too many to count), including the 1619 Project, which has a whole site and materials dedicated to this

and don't even get me started about all the LGBT propaganda that ends up in schools ...

I could give you 1000 examples of CRT, Critical Pedagogy, etc. within the context of secondary (or below) education. You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and continue to spout out fake, left-wing talking points

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
LOL!

you continue with this lie on this site, and even you know your own propaganda and disinformation is just that

I pointed out in detail on other posts how CRT is used in education, and that education in the US is based largely on Critical Pedagogy (Pablo Freire and other theorists created this--and it is the dominant theory in schools of education in the US)

The nation's largest teacher's unions (NEA and ATF) specifically endorse the teaching of CRT to kids and call for an expansion of those efforts. In their literature, and public statements, they assert:

""It is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory,"

Many CRT texts and related projects are used in school curriculums (too many to count), including the 1619 Project, which has a whole site and materials dedicated to this

and don't even get me started about all the LGBT propaganda that ends up in schools ...

I could give you 1000 examples of CRT, Critical Pedagogy, etc. within the context of secondary (or below) education. You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and continue to spout out fake, left-wing talking points
Now, you guys can't have it both ways. Whatever happened to "CRT is teaching white kids that they have to feel personal guilt for being white?"

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

E pluribus unum
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟338,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I told you I'd let someone else explain (again) why the 14th amendment makes the 1st apply to states.
Someone "on staff" is an official of the school. Establishment clause applies.
No, no, no, no. You specifically wanted to know why prison chaplins were OK but school ones were not. And I made it clear that it is the inability of prisoners to leave prison that is critical. Students *CAN* and *DO* leave school every day.

So, yes, school chaplain are completely unnecessary. Religious "services" are available to them in the regular course of the day. Just like for their parents who don't have chaplains at work either. If kids can't go 7 hours without interaction with clergy, then the parents have a serious problem and should send their children to a religious school.
non-sequitor.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟218,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LOL!

And yet you provide no examples of it being taught or included in curricula.
By all means, get started. There are no examples of that, either.
You keep making these claims and ridiculous generalizations, while providing no examples of it actually happening.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟179,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually that is the "gay agenda." The one and only.
And if it’s “taught” in public schools, the mantra will then become “we don’t need public schools!”
Just watch in 3-5 years.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟248,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is summer vacation. But the battle goes on to stop the teaching of CRT in schools, despite passing a law to try and stop it in Arkansas the court rules it still can be discussed and taught in the classroom:

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟289,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What training would "properly trained" mental health professionals have? Would a Christian counselling degree qualify?

I would say that a professional can have the training and be christian and such, the issue comes up SO often, that there are no regulations and or actualy making sure they are properly trained when it comes to christian stuff. There is often in the US a presumption that if someone calls themselves a chritian x, they are trained and qualified, but often they aren't required to have the qualifications.

Heard so many horror stories of christian day cares and other things not having to follow laws on background checks, medical requirements and other things.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟92,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You specifically wanted to know why prison chaplins were OK but school ones were not. And I made it clear that it is the inability of prisoners to leave prison that is critical. Students *CAN* and *DO* leave school every day.
Logic problem!

The prisoners are not mandated to see any chaplain or attend his/her services. If you want to parallel prison policy to schools then all the CRT, BLM LGBTQ, etc. stuff should be offered only as extra-curricular activities after school hours for students who elect to attend instead of going home. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

E pluribus unum
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟338,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Logic problem!
Hardly.
The prisoners are not mandated to see any chaplain or attend his/her services.
Are we talking about manditory attendance for school children at services? (I don' think so.)

I was discussing why a prison might *need* a chaplain, where as a school never does.

If you want to parallel prison policy to schools then all the CRT, BLM LGBTQ, etc. stuff should be offered only as extra-curricular activities after school hours for students who elect to attend instead of going home. Good luck.
Not religion, so not at all related.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟362,001.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You really want to sealion this side discussion, huh? I don't care whether you believe it's being taught, or whether you're satisfied with how frequently it's being taught. But since it's easy enough to show state social studies curricula:

Texas Administrative Code
TITLE 19EDUCATION
PART 2TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY
CHAPTER 113TEXAS ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS FOR SOCIAL STUDIES

Students examine the history and impact of major religious and philosophical traditions

(1) History. The student understands traditional historical points of reference in world history. The student is expected to:

(B) identify major causes and describe the major effects of the following events from 500 BC to AD 600: the development of the classical civilizations of Greece, Rome, Persia, India (Maurya and Gupta), China (Zhou, Qin, and Han), and the development of major world religions;

(C) identify major causes and describe the major effects of the following important turning points in world history from 600 to 1450: the spread of major world religions and their impact on Asia, Africa, and Europe and the Mongol invasions and their impact on Europe, China, India, and Southwest Asia;

Now it's your turn, show us the state curricula for teaching about sexuality that you object to.
That's not a religious studies course that was claimed to be in schools.

See post 117

And

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

See post 117

And

Instruction in comparative world religions, including Christianity, is part of the required Social Studies curriculum in most states. Students will be exposed to the scriptures there. The Bible is also an object of study in Western Lit. especially AP classes. What more do you require?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟893,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
No, what I claimed was "Schools can teach about religion and sexuality, without teaching religion or sexuality."

In fact, this treatment is very much like what you're talking about. Sexuality is a line-item in social studies curricula.

Illinois, like California and Colorado, passed a law in 2019, focused primarily on history and social science. The law, which took effect beginning in the 2020-2021 school year, requires that history textbooks include the contributions of LGBTQ+ people.

Teaching about Harvey Milk is not 'teaching homosexuality'.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0