• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Politico's post-debate analysis says that Vance's beard is representative of aggression

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
✟166,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im advocating a system where we the people choose our leaders based on the principle that each individual vote has identical equal value.

So you are advocating for a few highly populated cities to dictate the results of the national vote. You might not choose to state it that way, but that is the inevitable result of what you are advocating for.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
✟166,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not the aggregated power of each whole state. The relative power of an individual vote in each state.

No matter how you try to spin it, it's still a laughable contention that someone living in Wyoming somehow has more "power" in their vote than someone living in California.

• Agree
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟472,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No matter how you try to spin it, it's still a laughable contention that someone living in Wyoming somehow has more "power" in their vote than someone living in California.
One WY elector represents appx 150k voters
One CA elector represents appx 500k voters.

Your individual WY vote is worth over 3X an individual CA vote.
Its basic math.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
✟166,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One WY elector represents appx 150k voters
One CA elector represents appx 500k voters.

Your individual WY vote is worth over 3X an individual CA vote.
Its basic math.

This would only be true if each state had an equal number of electoral votes, which they do not. Here is the math.

15110880_914657932000067_6533853077554988352_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟301,362.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
People in those states have preferences that would. not. matter.

They would not. The electoral college helps to ensure that the entire country is represented in the election instead of just a handful of population centers.
There are pros and cons with both systems. The biggest problem that you guys have now is that the election will be decided by just 4 or 5 battleground states. Votes in solidly Democratic or Republican states are wasted votes. It's literally the case that a handful of counties may well decide who has access to the nuclear codes.

I'm a long way from being a fan of your methods of representation.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not worried about the look at my age lol. I have mostly been well groomed and shaven. I just let it all grow as I really could not be bothered. Plus I am preparing for going off grid into the bush when the next Covid, disease or disaster hits. So I will look the part lol.

But instead of grizzley Adams I will be Koala Steve lol. Not very intimidating. And not crocodile Steve either lol. I would be running for dear life if I spotted a croc.
Bro, I just watched Grizzly Adams tonight. It was a wholesome movie. :) 1970s films were classy, something we do not get as much in 2024. Thank you for inadvertently recommending this one to me. This movie might be at least twice my age, but it is a classic. Sadly, it was VHS quality on YouTube on my 43 inch flat screen (in other words, the picture quality was trash, same with the buzzing sound of the VHS to digital YouTube recording), but the plot was great.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟122,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, t's not "one way to look at it". The rules of our elections and the role of the electoral college are well-established. Those rules permit for a candidate to legitimately win the electoral vote while losing the popular vote. When a candidate does this, they have not "stolen" the election, and anyone who suggests they have is simply not dealing in facts.
Exactly. They're voicing an opinion. They have that right, don't they?

Just as Trump has the right to voice the opinion that he actually won the 2020 election and it was stolen. No one's indicting him for doing that. The problem came when he tried to coerce an election official in Georgia to "find" enough votes to turn the state's election his way, and when he organized fake electors to supplant the actual results of various state elections, and when he riled up his base to disrupt the certification of the votes. Those actions went well beyond voicing an opinion...and Hilary Clinton did none of those things.

I can't speak for how Trump supporters would react, but whoever wins the electoral vote wins the election, regardless of the outcome of the popular vote.
True enough. I just wonder how they might react if the same thing happens to him as happened with Hilary Clinton in 2016. But, we probably shouldn't worry about it...we all know how reasonable and aware of the facts of law MAGA supporters are.

-- A2SG, don't we?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟184,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bro, I just watched Grizzly Adams tonight. It was a wholesome movie. :) 1970s films were classy, something we do not get as much in 2024. Thank you for inadvertently recommending this one to me. This movie might be at least twice my age, but it is a classic. Sadly, it was VHS quality on YouTube on my 43 inch flat screen (in other words, the picture quality was trash, same with the buzzing sound of the VHS to digital YouTube recording), but the plot was great.
It was a series too

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was a series too
Yeah, it was a series as well, but I watched the movie, as typically movies are better done compared to TV series. Maybe I could try the series, though I have a whole bunch of movies and other shows to get through.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟122,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Entire states' preferences would be completely disregarded without the electoral college. It's not a perfect system, but at least it doesn't entirely disregard the preferences of smaller states as would be the case if only a few major cities got to decide the outcome of elections.
That's the inherent problem with a "one person, one vote" system. More people mean more votes, simple as that. States with less people, or cities and towns with less people will have less votes.

Personally, I don't see a problem with that. I'm not sure why a less populated state needs their citizens' votes to count for more than a larger populated one. States don't vote for President, voters do.

-- A2SG, but unless we change that, it's the reality of the situation....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟122,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They would not. Every single person in multiple states could vote one way, and a single population center in a state more than a thousand miles away from them would still decide the election.

The electoral college ensures that smaller states have input into the election result, while not diminishing the impact of larger states.

For example, the population of California is roughly 39 million. That's roughly 10-11% of the entire US population. They also have 54 electoral votes. That's roughly 10% of the electoral votes.

US elections are 50 separate contests. Without the electoral college, candidates could campaign in just a few big cities and win the entire country. They could completely ignore smaller states.
As it now stands, candidates focus their attention only in certain battleground states, the rest are ignored. While, I have to admit, that can be kind of nice for those of us who don't live in a battleground state. A friend who lives in Pennsylvania says he's been getting a ton of election mail and ads, while here in Massachusetts, I barely hear a peep from either candidate. The votes of Trump voters here don't matter, just as those of Harris voters don't matter in Indiana or other solidly red states. Same problem you complain about, except it's certain states, rather than urban vs rural populations.

So, how does the electoral college solve the problem for Trump voters here in Massachusetts, for example?

-- A2SG, and we do have some...believe it or not.....

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟275,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There you go someone should digialise them and make them great quality again. I watched the Titanic in color and it completely changes the perspective.

But yes Grizzly Adams is a classic. I watched some of the Alone series. Some of the contestants were like Grizzly Adams but they could not last. But towards the end of their stay the longer they survived the more all the blokes began to look like Grizzley Adams lol. They had beards, longer hair, but instead of handling the bears like Grizzly they were running for their lives understandably. lol.

• Agree
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟122,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I couldn't watch the Grizzly Adams tv show when it was on...my mother had a massive crush on Dan Haggerty and some of the stuff she said about him during the show made me waaaay uncomfortable.

-- A2SG, wound up having to watch Nicholas Hammond's SpiderMan tv show instead on the small black and white tv in my room....ah, life in the 1970s....

• Haha
Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,869,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How is that different from now, except that its currently 4 wolves winning the lunch election against 5 sheep?
Only if the sheep vote to get eaten.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,869,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Im advocating a system where we the people choose our leaders based on the principle that each individual vote has identical equal value.

Other considerations such as your ethnic status, what opinions you hold, your wealth or lack thereof, where you live, etc, dont accrue to you any more or less power to your individual vote. Thats the principle I appeal to.
You do understand that the electoral college is just for electing the president, right?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There you go someone should digialise them and make them great quality again. I watched the Titanic in color and it completely changes the perspective.

But yes Grizzly Adams is a classic. I watched some of the Alone series. Some of the contestants were like Grizzly Adams but they could not last. But towards the end of their stay the longer they survived the more all the blokes began to look like Grizzley Adams lol. They had beards, longer hair, but instead of handling the bears like Grizzly they were running for their lives understandably. lol.
Yeah, someone should digitize these films. I did not try "Alone".

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't watch the Grizzly Adams tv show when it was on...my mother had a massive crush on Dan Haggerty and some of the stuff she said about him during the show made me waaaay uncomfortable.

-- A2SG, wound up having to watch Nicholas Hammond's SpiderMan tv show instead on the small black and white tv in my room....ah, life in the 1970s....
Haha, that is alright. He is a fine looking guy, I agree. Your mother seemed to like the bearded guys. In other words, if your mom found Dan Haggerty handsome, let her, though she went a little overboard on crushing on him. No harm, no foul. ;)

I have not watched the Spider-Man TV-film, but I did enjoy the 2000s movies in 2019.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟275,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, someone should digitize these films. I did not try "Alone".
Alone is OK. I got board and there was nothing else to watch. I don't usually like reality TV but I was also interested in off grid living and adventure.

I would imagine back in a time when people were nomads and living as hunters and gatherers all the men would have had beards and fairly long hair. The Vikings did and I know early Persians and Assyrians throughout the Middle East would have beards but also for religious reasons. Of course many Jews had beards. Jesus had a beard.

It was the fashion. Well there was little choice as they didn't have all the barbers available and electric razors which make it a lot earier. They probably would have knives. I remember seeing westerns where they had the barbers blade. It would have been a big event having to go to town for a shave and bath and happen only occassionally.

• Agree
Upvote 0