• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Pictures of the new Sanatana Dharma(Hindusim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwu

Sep 18, 2004
✟16,829.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
I thought we were doing the last 100 years...
That wasn't part of the question.

But ok, computers don't use the decimal system. Actually it was tried, but the concept of the decimal system was found to be unsuitable.

But the other postings are true technology demonstrators. Especially the KALI Beam weapon.
Very nice, but what part of their technology was taken from the Vedas, other perhaps the overall idea of "let's build a beam weapon"? Which specifics which helped the development?
If it's just the overall idea, then it isn't based on the Vedas anymore than it is based on a cheap sci-fi novel - a nice idea, but no actual scientific content came from them.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
That wasn't part of the question.

But ok, computers don't use the decimal system. Actually it was tried, but the concept of the decimal system was found to be unsuitable.

Very nice, but what part of their technology was taken from the Vedas, other perhaps the overall idea of "let's build a beam weapon"? Which specifics which helped the development?
If it's just the overall idea, then it isn't based on the Vedas anymore than it is based on a cheap sci-fi novel - a nice idea, but no actual scientific content came from them.

Actually computers convert to Hexadecimal which use the numbers 0-9 and A-F

Computers also use the number 0, which is an Indian invention.

Upvote 0

jwu

Sep 18, 2004
✟16,829.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Computers could internally work with the numbers 1 and 2 just as well, or -1 and 1. But that's beside the point.

The original question was this:
Name one modern western discovery outside the scope of the Indian numbering system. Name one meaningful discovery which doesn't utilize zero. Name one discovery with doesn't use the decimal system...
Fair is fair right?
Computers don't meet all of these criteria as they don't use the decimal system.

Actually computers convert to Hexadecimal which use the numbers 0-9 and A-F
...which is not a decimal system (based on the number 10) but a system based on the number 16 which merely includes the word "decimal" in its name just like any greek number from 10 to 19.

But anyway, no, computers don't do this internally. A hexadecimal representation is shown to the user in some cases because one can code a eight bit long signal as two hex characters without any excess, grouping four bits each to a hex character. This is purely a convenience feature for low level APIs.
The actual CPU and anything else in there works binary.

I'm off to work, i'll be back in about 7 hours.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Computers could internally work with the numbers 1 and 2 just as well, or -1 and 1. But that's beside the point.

The original question was this:

Computers don't meet all of these criteria as they don't use the decimal system.

...which is not a decimal system (based on the number 10) but a system based on the number 16 which merely includes the word "decimal" in its name just like any greek number from 10 to 19.

But anyway, no, computers don't do this internally. A hexadecimal representation is shown to the user in some cases because one can code a eight bit long signal as two hex characters without any excess, grouping four bits each to a hex character. This is purely a convenience feature for low level APIs.
The actual CPU and anything else in there works binary.

Your still using zero friend. Hex has the numbers 0-9, which are part of the decimal system. And 0 is a Indian concept. It stands for absence. Actually you have to use 0 and 1, because when you do computations you can't use 1 and 2. The concept of zero is the absence of voltage running through the circuit/logic diagram. You can't use 1 & 2 because it is based on base 2. Basically means 11001 represents 2^0*1 + 2^3*1 + 2^4*1 = 25.

So no you can't use 1 and 2. I'm sorry because you'd get different answers.

Upvote 0

Vainglorious

Jan 28, 2006
✟676.00
Faith
Atheist
Srev, I'll repeat my challenge which appears to have been misunderstood.

Nobody denies Indians do good science. However, the challenge was to show where so called Vedic Science has produced a technology or an industrial process within the last 100 years.

This question is specifically about Vedic Science, not what Indians do when they use "western science".

And for clarrity could you explain how any examples given relate directly back to Veda Science. "Inspired" doesn't count.

Upvote 0

Futuwwa

Feb 8, 2006
✟5,284.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Your still using zero friend. Hex has the numbers 0-9, which are part of the decimal system. And 0 is a Indian concept. It stands for absence. Actually you have to use 0 and 1, because when you do computations you can't use 1 and 2. The concept of zero is the absence of voltage running through the circuit/logic diagram. You can't use 1 & 2 because it is based on base 2. Basically means 11001 represents 2^0*1 + 2^3*1 + 2^4*1 = 25.

So no you can't use 1 and 2. I'm sorry because you'd get different answers.

Yes, you can use 1 and 2, or A and B or TRUE and FALSE for that matter. You need to make a difference between algebra done with a base 2 number system (which your calculation above does) and Boolean algebra used by logic circuits, which is entirely two-valued. If you'd call your bit-string AABBA instead of 11001, it wouldn't make any difference for how a digital circuit works, just as physics wouldn't change if you'd start using other letters than F for force or p for momentum.

The binary system is fundamentally different from a decimal system in that it lacks a decimal point.

Look srev, nobody denies the fact that the Indians have made their contributions to the development of science. But to credit every modern technological development to the work of ancient Indian scientists is absurd. Hellooooo, other civilizations have also contributed. So, since ancient India is simply one contributor among very many, why credit it in particular? It'd be like giving Ibn Sina all the credit for the work of Leibniz and Euler.

Upvote 0

LadyGarnetRose

Frum Reconstructionist (pm me for details)
Nov 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
✟16,258.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm trying to understand the providence here.

Srev, you are saying that the Vedas invented mathematics, yet Vedic Mathematics didn't come to the world until the 1960's. My father was an student of engineering in the 1940's he wanted to build planes.

Also, Vedic mathematics are loosely based on the Trachtenberg system.

Yes we got 0 from the Brahmi, a Semetic language that was born out of Aramaic in the 6th century bc.

Computers do not use the concept 0 in it's computations. They use a figure placer that is a 0.

Also, the Indians didn't invent the decimal system. They tweeked it. The decimal system was invented by the Egyptians (Circa 3100bc). The Vedic civilization didn't even come about until 1500 years later. Francesco Pellos (Pelizzati) of Nice perfected it adding in the Decimal Point.

The mathematics we use today, the base was invented by the multiple cultures, tweeked by multiple cultures, and perfected by Europeans.

Calculus was invented by an Englishman and a German, Newton and Leibniz. And the list goes on with what they invented.

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Some examples

Air breathing technology
Electrogravitics
Directed energy weapons
Fusion and anti-matter energy generation
Zero point energy physics
Nanotechology and smart materials
Quantum computing
Psychotronics
EM pulse weapons
superluminal and string theoretical physics
Plasma and BEC physics
Artificial Intelligence
Holography
One cannot help but feel sorry for the Pakistani military. What's a lowly nuke or two against ray guns and "air breathing technology"?

Seriously, srev, where do you get this stuff from? Reads like Civilization 4 fanfiction.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you can use 1 and 2, or A and B or TRUE and FALSE for that matter. You need to make a difference between algebra done with a base 2 number system (which your calculation above does) and Boolean algebra used by logic circuits, which is entirely two-valued. If you'd call your bit-string AABBA instead of 11001, it wouldn't make any difference for how a digital circuit works, just as physics wouldn't change if you'd start using other letters than F for force or p for momentum.

The binary system is fundamentally different from a decimal system in that it lacks a decimal point.

Look srev, nobody denies the fact that the Indians have made their contributions to the development of science. But to credit every modern technological development to the work of ancient Indian scientists is absurd. Hellooooo, other civilizations have also contributed. So, since ancient India is simply one contributor among very many, why credit it in particular? It'd be like giving Ibn Sina all the credit for the work of Leibniz and Euler.

Actually binary does have floating point numbers, they are just divided by two. 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 1/64

The 1 stands for positive and 0 stands for absence of current. You cannot use 1 & 2 in a binary system. Because 2^2 *2 is not binary anymore. Mathematically only 0 and 1 work for binary.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
One cannot help but feel sorry for the Pakistani military. What's a lowly nuke or two against ray guns and "air breathing technology"?

Seriously, srev, where do you get this stuff from? Reads like Civilization 4 fanfiction.

AVATAR would take off horizontally like conventional airplanes from conventional airstrips using turbo-ramjet engines that burn air and hydrogen. Once at a cruising altitude, the vehicle would use scramjet propulsion to accelerate from Mach 4 to Mach 8. During these cruising phases, an on-board system will collect air from which liquid oxygen will be separated. The liquid oxygen collected then would be used in the final flight phase, when the rocket engine burns the collected liquid oxygen and the carried hydrogen to attain orbit. The vehicle will be designed to permit at least a hundred re-entries into the atmosphere.

It's called a scramjet engine. The 'Aerobic Vehicle for hypersonic Aerospace TrAnspoRtation' (AVATAR) is a hyperplane concept from India.
http://www.geocities.com/spacetransport/spacecraft-avatar.html

The prototype is under trail runs this year.

The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (Barc) here is in the final stages of assembling a powerful electron accelerating machine named ''Kali-5000``which, its scientists say, can potentially be used as a beam weapon.
Bursts of microwaves packed with gigawatts of power (one gigawatt is 1000 million watts) produced by this machine, when aimed at enemy missiles and aircraft, will cripple their electronics systems and computer chips and bring them down.
According to scientists, ''soft killing`` by high power microwaves has advantages over the so called laser weapon which destroys by drilling holes through metal.
Kali-5000 will be ready for testing by the end of this year, according to Mr P H Ron, head of the accelerator and
internal.gif
pulse power division at Barc and chief designer of India`s first star wars weapon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think they shoot one photon? Light carries septillionth of photons.

I think you mean "septillion." A septillion photons is less than two moles of photons. Still not detectable according to the "mass of a photon" that you pulled out of nowhere.

I'd also appreciate it if you would stop with the personal attacks and bigotry.

What bigotry? It isn't bigoted to say that the Vedas are utterly worthless as a scientific texts. As for personal attacks, you seem to be misinterpreting my lack of regard for your ideas. Your beliefs are nonsense. They are demonstrably false. Moreover they are lies. This doesn't constitute a personal disrespect, but you can't ask us to praise foolishness.

Do you agree with the concept of energy conservation? Do you agree that the universe has no beginning and no end? Do you agree matter cannot be created out of thin air?

Yes, no, and no. The universe has a beginning which can be calculated quite easily. As for the spontaneous creation of matter, you seem to be unaware of particle pair production.

These are all vedic concepts. Vedas believe universe is immersed in an eight fold shell and it will expand and collapse on itself. And this cycle is repeated.

None of these ideas are Vedic, but even if they were, that would just go to show that the Vedas contain falsehood.

Yeah Arunma, I'm sure you invented Newtonian and Einstein physics...... I don't use my own work.... Right?

Your comparison of my scientific competence to your cut 'n paste jobs is as laughable as Vedic "science."

Contributions of Vedic Science:...

Uh, no. These are more invented facts.

Rig Veda says, “Neither the south nor left (north) do I distinguish, neither the east nor yet the west, Adityas. Simple and guided by your wisdom, Vasus! may I attain the light that brings no danger.”(6) This passage from the Rig Veda clearly establishes a central position of the sun where there is no east or west, north or south.

Seeing as how the four cardinal directions have no meaning away from the earth's surface, your Vedas fail.

Need I post more contributions?

I've got a better idea. Convince us that the "contributions" you've listed so far aren't lies.

The first is based upon the anti gravity. Check it out.

No, because there's no such thing as anti-gravity. And even if there were, it sure as heck wouldn't come from your Vedas.

However, if light is trapped in a box with perfect mirrors so the photons are continually reflected back and forth in both directions symmetrically in the box, then the total momentum is zero in the box's frame of reference but the energy is not. Therefore the light adds a small contribution to the mass of the box. This could be measured--in principle at least--either by the greater force required to accelerate the box, or by an increase in its gravitational pull.

Also false. To say that light will increase the mass of a box is absurd. The very idea of trapping light in a box demonstrates extremely naive scientific understanding. Earlier you practically said that I can do this experiment in my garage. Now you're portraying it as a thought experiment. Which is it?

india is also leading the world in Nuclear technology. India will soon have 6 heavy water thorium reactors.

Congratulations: you're forty years behind America.

Name one modern western discovery outside the scope of the Indian numbering system. Name one meaningful discovery which doesn't utilize zero. Name one discovery with doesn't use the decimal system...

The number zero isn't even an Indian discovery. The Native Americans and the Greeks employed the number zero independently of India. And even if it were an Indian discovery, it still has nothing to do with your Vedas.

That is not the experiment which you described. It's neither a glass box, nor is something weighted in it. And moreover this experimental box trapped only a single photon, not "septillions".

Which experiment are we talking about? Is this one from Srev's endless supply of videos?

What we have here is a serious inferiority complex. Inspired by these threads I've done some background reading on Veda Science as as far as I can tell it is a Hindu nationalist response to being (a) colonised by the British (b) being outclassed by "western science" in terms of technological productivity.

My thoughts exactly. You might as well put these guys in white hoods, because Vedic pseudoscience is founded in nationalism and racism. The funny thing is that at the same time, many Indians come to America for their college and graduate education in the sciences. Looks like the Vedic "scientists" can't even get a following even back home.

Once upon a time India did produce some interesting science but it science techniques stagnated. Hindu mystic remained stuck in their ancient texts and didn't progress.

So what? It would be hard to name even one ancient civilization that didn't contribute to modern science. There's nothing remarkable about a scientific discovery that happens to have come from India. The funny thing is that legitimate Indian science is obfuscated by all the Vedic quackery on this thread.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I think you mean "septillion." A septillion photons is less than two moles of photons. Still not detectable according to the "mass of a photon" that you pulled out of nowhere.

What bigotry? It isn't bigoted to say that the Vedas are utterly worthless as a scientific texts. As for personal attacks, you seem to be misinterpreting my lack of regard for your ideas. Your beliefs are nonsense. They are demonstrably false. Moreover they are lies. This doesn't constitute a personal disrespect, but you can't ask us to praise foolishness.

Yes, no, and no. The universe has a beginning which can be calculated quite easily. As for the spontaneous creation of matter, you seem to be unaware of particle pair production.

None of these ideas are Vedic, but even if they were, that would just go to show that the Vedas contain falsehood.

Your comparison of my scientific competence to your cut 'n paste jobs is as laughable as Vedic "science."

Uh, no. These are more invented facts.

Seeing as how the four cardinal directions have no meaning away from the earth's surface, your Vedas fail.

I've got a better idea. Convince us that the "contributions" you've listed so far aren't lies.

No, because there's no such thing as anti-gravity. And even if there were, it sure as heck wouldn't come from your Vedas.

Also false. To say that light will increase the mass of a box is absurd. The very idea of trapping light in a box demonstrates extremely naive scientific understanding. Earlier you practically said that I can do this experiment in my garage. Now you're portraying it as a thought experiment. Which is it?

Congratulations: you're forty years behind America.

The number zero isn't even an Indian discovery. The Native Americans and the Greeks employed the number zero independently of India. And even if it were an Indian discovery, it still has nothing to do with your Vedas.

Which experiment are we talking about? Is this one from Srev's endless supply of videos?

My thoughts exactly. You might as well put these guys in white hoods, because Vedic pseudoscience is founded in nationalism and racism. The funny thing is that at the same time, many Indians come to America for their college and graduate education in the sciences. Looks like the Vedic "scientists" can't even get a following even back home.

So what? It would be hard to name even one ancient civilization that didn't contribute to modern science. There's nothing remarkable about a scientific discovery that happens to have come from India. The funny thing is that legitimate Indian science is obfuscated by all the Vedic quackery on this thread.

Arunma do you have any idea what a thorium reactor is? Do you know the difference between a Fast Breeder Heavy Water reactor and the 1960's junk being used in the USA? India has 62% of the thorium supply in the world. The reactor will be run on thorium, not one country has successfully implemented this. The last countries to try this were Japan and the USA and they failed miserably. Why do you think that the USA wants a nuclear deal with India?

Kali-5000, Agni missile, Astra missile, Arjun tank, Tejas fighter jet. All use vedic technologies such as metallurgy for carbon composites, Indian RAM coatings derived from vedic scriptures, and avionic suites inspired by the Vedas. The RAM coatings and the carbon composites are both directly from the Vedas. This is my field of expertise Arunma, I worked in the defense field for India for 2 years.

The largest steel companies in the world are Indian. Ever heard of Lakshmi Mittal? Tata steel? How is saying Vedic science is true, racist? That is so silly. If you can't prove me wrong, don't resort to personal attacks.

You can see the carbon composites being created Indian style.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4503725423837794418&q=lca

Upvote 0

jwu

Sep 18, 2004
✟16,829.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Your still using zero friend.
Yes, but so what? You listed a number of criteria which supposedly all developments share. Computers don't share all of them as they don't use the decimal system.

The 1 stands for positive and 0 stands for absence of current. You cannot use 1 & 2 in a binary system. Because 2^2 *2 is not binary anymore. Mathematically only 0 and 1 work for binary.
Huh? It is as much binary as 1^1*1 would be if the set of digits is 1 and 2. These are merely representations; anything is fine there. Happy and sad smileys would work as well.

And as you already said - the 0 and 1 in the binary system as implemented in a computer are merely representations of current and no current. One could just as well use negative and positive current and avoid "no current" altogether. Or one could have chosen any representation for this. Like circles and lines or whatever. The use of the digit "0" as a representation of "no current" is completely arbitrary here.

All use vedic technologies such as metallurgy for carbon composites, Indian RAM coatings derived from vedic scriptures, and avionic suites inspired by the Vedas. The RAM coatings and the carbon composites are both directly from the Vedas.
So in what way are those RAM coatings derived from the Vedas? Do they give clues about the actual composition of the material or do they merely mention aircraft which cannot be detected? If so, then their contribution is practically nil. They didn't help that development along any more than Jules Verne's stories helped the Americans to land on the moon.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but so what? You listed a number of criteria which supposedly all developments share. Computers don't share all of them as they don't use the decimal system.

Huh? It is as much binary as 1^1*1 would be if the set of digits is 1 and 2. These are merely representations; anything is fine there. Happy and sad smileys would work as well.

And as you already said - the 0 and 1 in the binary system as implemented in a computer are merely representations of current and no current. One could just as well use negative and positive current and avoid "no current" altogether. Or oOne could have chosen any representation for this. Like circles and lines or whatever. The usage of the digit "0" is completely arbitrary here.

Actually it doesn't work like that. Computers can only add and if you use 1 & 2 that is two positive states mathematically, which cannot be implemented physically. You are talking to a computer engineer here... Only 0 and 1. The concept of nothing being represented mathematically was invented by Vedic Mathematics. YOu can't use negative current on the same circuit, because it would flow in the opposite direction and short circuit everything. Ever heard of the right hand rule? The angular momentum would be opposite to the positive current. So every time you go from 1 to -1 you'd short circuit. Try putting power to ground and ground to power. You'll see smoke shortly.

Here is a simple question.

represent a binary form of 255 in 1's and 2's. Convert it to hex and convert back to decimal. See if you get the same answer.

The digit 0 is invented by Vedic civilization. So the inventors of the computer should credit the Vedas. Also the pentium chip the computer is running is also thanks to Indian invention.

Upvote 0

jwu

Sep 18, 2004
✟16,829.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Actually it doesn't work like that. Computers can only add and if you use 1 & 2. That is two positive states mathematically, which cannot be implemented physically.
You're still missing the point. These are mere representations. But implementing two positive states isn't that difficult either...it's how the early decimal computers worked. Or one can use positive and negative currents as representations.

You are talking to a computer engineer here...
Same here...except that you seem to believe that computers use hex internally, which kind of makes me question your qualifications. How do you reconcile an internal operation on hex with the MIPS instruction sets? Or primitive ALU components such as RCAs? These have nothing to do with hex.

represent a binary form of 255 in 1's and 2's. Convert it to hex and convert back to decimal. See if you get the same answer.
22222222. In hex FF. In decimal 255.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
You're still missing the point. These are mere representations. But implementing two positive states isn't that difficult either...it's how the early decimal computers worked. Or one can use positive and negative currents as representations.

Same here...except that you seem to believe that computers use hex internally, which kind of makes me question your qualifications. How do you reconcile an internal operation on hex with the MIPS instruction sets? Or primitive ALU components such as RCAs? These have nothing to do with hex.

22222222. In hex FF. In decimal 255.

wait wait. lol how did you get from 22222222 to FF? Show me the mathematic transition.

I can show you with 0's and 1's.

1111=15 1111=15
15=F 15=F
FF=255

now 22222222 (according to you equals 255) = 2^0*2 + 2^1*2+ 2^2*2+ 2^3*2+ 2^4*2 + 2^5*2 + 2^6*2 + 2^7*2=480

40 equals 1E0

1E0 = 480 != 255

Try doing 455 - 344 using binary notation... good luck getting the two's complement. You have to use 16 bits.

Have fun with that overflow. Anyways that's besides the point, Computers use an Indian concept. Give credit where it's due.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to understand the providence here.

Srev, you are saying that the Vedas invented mathematics, yet Vedic Mathematics didn't come to the world until the 1960's. My father was an student of engineering in the 1940's he wanted to build planes.
Vedic Mathematics became mainstream in the 1960's. The vedas always had them inside it, it's just that someone simplified the vedic mathematics into 16 slokhas in 1960.

Also, Vedic mathematics are loosely based on the Trachtenberg system.
Vedic matheamtics are based on the vedas. Because it's over 5000 years old.

Yes we got 0 from the Brahmi, a Semetic language that was born out of Aramaic in the 6th century bc.
Hahaha.

The Brahmi numerals are an indigenous Indian numeral system attested from the 3rd century BCE (somewhat later in the case of most of the tens). They are the direct graphic ancestors of the modern Indic and Hindu-Arabic numerals. However, they were conceptually distinct from these later systems, as they were not used as a positional system with a zero. Rather, there were separate numerals for each of the tens (10, 20, 30, etc.). There were also symbols for 100 and 1000 which were combined in ligatures with the units to signify 200, 300, 2000, 3000, etc.

Computers do not use the concept 0 in it's computations. They use a figure placer that is a 0.

No computers do use zero in their computations. For example 1011 = 1^3 * 1 + 1^2 * 0 + 1^1*1 + 1^0*1 = 11

Also, the Indians didn't invent the decimal system. They tweeked it. The decimal system was invented by the Egyptians (Circa 3100bc). The Vedic civilization didn't even come about until 1500 years later. Francesco Pellos (Pelizzati) of Nice perfected it adding in the Decimal Point.

Most of the positional base 10 numeral systems in the world have originated from India, which first developed the concept of positional numerology. The Indian numeral system is commonly referred to in the West as Hindu-Arabic numeral system, since it reached Europe through the Arabs.

The mathematics we use today, the base was invented by the multiple cultures, tweeked by multiple cultures, and perfected by Europeans.
Of course it has to be perfected by Europeans...

Calculus was invented by an Englishman and a German, Newton and Leibniz. And the list goes on with what they invented.

It has been suggested that Indian contributions to mathematics have not been given due acknowledgement in modern history and that many discoveries and inventions by Indian mathematicians are presently culturally attributed to their western counterparts, as a result of Eurocentrism. According to G. G. Joseph:
[Their work] takes on board some of the some of the objections raised about the classical Eurocentric trajectory. The awareness [of Indian and Arabic mathematics] is all too likely to be tempered with dismissive rejections of their importance compared to Greek mathematics. The contributions from other civilizations - most notably China and India, are perceived either as borrowers from Greek sources or having made only minor contributions to mainstream mathematical development. An openness to more recent research findings, especially in the case of Indian and Chinese mathematics, is sadly missing"[43]
The historian of mathematics, Florian Cajori, suggested that she "suspect that Diophantus got his first glimpse of algebraic knowledge from India."[44]
More recently, as discussed in the above section, the infinite series of calculus for trigonometric functions (rediscovered by Gregory, Taylor, and Maclaurin in the late 17th century) were described (with proofs) in India, by mathematicians of the Kerala School, remarkably some two centuries earlier. Some scholars have recently suggested that knowledge of these results might have been transmitted to Europe through the trade route from Kerala by traders and Jesuit missionaries.[45] Kerala was in continuous contact with China and Arabia, and, from around 1500, with Europe. The existence of communication routes and a suitable chronology certainly make such a transmission a possibility. However, there is no direct evidence by way of relevant manuscripts that such a transmission actually took place.[45] Indeed, according to David Bressoud, "there is no evidence that the Indian work of series was known beyond India, or even outside of Kerala, until the nineteenth century."[33][46]
Both Arab and Indian scholars made discoveries before the 17th century that are now considered a part of calculus.[34] However, they were not able to, as Newton and Leibniz were, to "combine many differing ideas under the two unifying themes of the derivative and the integral, show the connection between the two, and turn calculus into the great problem-solving tool we have today."[34] The intellectual careers of both Newton and Leibniz are well-documented and there is no indication of their work not being their own;[34] however, it is not known with certainty whether the immediate predecessors of Newton and Leibniz, "including, in particular, Fermat and Roberval, learned of some of the ideas of the Islamic and Indian mathematicians through sources were are not now aware."[34] This is an active area of current research, especially in the manuscripts collections of Spain and Maghreb, research that is now being pursued, among other places, at the Centre National de Recherche Scientifique in Paris.[34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Maths#Aryabhata_I

Upvote 0

LadyGarnetRose

Frum Reconstructionist (pm me for details)
Nov 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
✟16,258.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Serv,

Quoting a Wiki entry that starts off with
This article or section does not adequately cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. (help, get involved!)
Any material not supported by sources may be challenged and removed at any time. This article has been tagged since March 2007.
The neutrality and factual accuracy of this article are disputed.
Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page.

This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page or replace this tag with a more specific message.
This article has been tagged since March 2007.

Doesn't hold much water.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Serv,

Quoting a Wiki entry that starts off with

Doesn't hold much water.

Okay I'll post another source.

While some of the ideas of calculus were developed earlier, in ancient Greece and in India, the modern use of calculus began in Europe, during the 17th century, when Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz built on the work of earlier mathematicians to introduce the basic principles of calculus. This work had a strong impact on the development of physics.

Indian mathematics, largely unknown in the west until the 20th century, produced a number of works with some ideas of calculus. The mathematician-astronomer Aryabhata in 499 CE used a notion of infinitesimals and expressed an astronomical problem in the form of a basic differential equation.[2] Manjula, in the 10th century, elaborated on this differential equation in a commentary. This equation eventually led Bhaskara in the 12th century to develop a proto-derivative representing infinitesimal change, and describe an early form of "Rolle's theorem".[3] In the 14th century, Madhava, along with other mathematician-astronomers of the Kerala School, described special cases of Taylor series[4] which are treated in the text Yuktibhasa.[5][6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus
  1. ^ Archimedes, Method, in The Works of Archimedes ISBN 978-0-521-66160-7
  2. ^ Aryabhata the Elder
  3. ^ Ian G. Pearce. Bhaskaracharya II.
  4. ^ Madhava. Biography of Madhava. School of Mathematics and Statistics University of St Andrews, Scotland. Retrieved on September 13, 2006.
  5. ^ An overview of Indian mathematics. Indian Maths. School of Mathematics and Statistics University of St Andrews, Scotland. Retrieved on July 7, 2006.
  6. ^ Science and technology in free India. Government of Kerala — Kerala Call, September 2004. Prof.C.G.Ramachandran Nair. Retrieved on July 9, 2006.
It is without doubt that mathematics today owes a huge debt to the outstanding contributions made by Indian mathematicians over many hundreds of years. What is quite surprising is that there has been a reluctance to recognise this and one has to conclude that many famous historians of mathematics found what they expected to find, or perhaps even what they hoped to find, rather than to realise what was so clear in front of them.
We shall examine the contributions of Indian mathematics in this article, but before looking at this contribution in more detail we should say clearly that the "huge debt" is the beautiful number system invented by the Indians on which much of mathematical development has rested. Laplace put this with great clarity:-

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/Indian_mathematics.html

ac.uk is European domain name :p

This is the result of European underestimation of India's will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BeVGAOiZQc

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.