• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

My time machine

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
What I find antagonizing is you young people say these things as if they are proven facts.

They are facts, as in "observations made so many time that it is ludicrous to treat them as anything other than fact". The constancy of the speed of light is as established as the existence of the Great Pyramids or the wetness of water.

But if any of us ever gain immortality you'll then learn time isn't a real thing.

That same argument could be used to ignore any fact, which is probably why creationists use the argument so often. Reality is a problem for them, so they need some made up excuse to ignore reality.

Would you say the same thing about a murder trial? If a defense attorney used the same argument, would you buy it?

"If the members of the jury will notice, if they were to gain immortality they would learn that just because the DNA, fingerprint, fiber, shoe print, and all of the other forensic evidence clearly matches my client, it doesn't mean that any of that evidence is trustworthy. Therefore, I ask that you find my client innocent because facts don't matter."

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nobody is trying to be antagonising - we're trying to explain what has been found experimentally. Have a look at this, there's also plenty of other information out there: Time dilation of moving particles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very basically, particles called muons are created when cosmic rays collide with the upper atmosphere. Muons have incredibly short lifetimes. Even though they are travelling near the speed of light very few of them should reach the ground. However, scientists measure that a large number of muons actually reach the ground which could not happen unless there is time dilation.

Plenty of time dilation experiments have been carried out, even by undergraduates.
I agree that time is involved. Time may not be involved in deep space, not as we know time! Time is for man. Space is for man and angels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"If the members of the jury will notice, if they were to gain immortality they would learn that just because the DNA, fingerprint, fiber, shoe print, and all of the other forensic evidence clearly matches my client, it doesn't mean that any of that evidence is trustworthy. Therefore, I ask that you find my client innocent because facts don't matter."
What does how long we live have to do with making a fingerprint unreal all of a sudden? Work on those parables.

Upvote 0

olderguy

Dedicated Follower of Lord Jesus
Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟15,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They are facts, as in "observations made so many time that it is ludicrous to treat them as anything other than fact". The constancy of the speed of light is as established as the existence of the Great Pyramids or the wetness of water.

That same argument could be used to ignore any fact, which is probably why creationists use the argument so often. Reality is a problem for them, so they need some made up excuse to ignore reality.

Would you say the same thing about a murder trial? If a defense attorney used the same argument, would you buy it?

Whoa boy, I never said light speed is not a constant.

But a hypotheses isn't a fact. The Pyramids are facts because they can be seen, touched, and detected by other means, such as photographs etc. If anyone said the Pyramids weren't real, I wouldn't even respond to him. I'd consider him psychotic.

Upvote 0

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Whoa boy, I never said light speed is not a constant.

But a hypotheses isn't a fact. The Pyramids are facts because they can be seen, touched, and detected by other means, such as photographs etc. If anyone said the Pyramids weren't real, I wouldn't even respond to him. I'd consider him psychotic.

Then what exactly is your problem/point? It's been shown that time is not constant and that time dilation happens all the time.

Upvote 0

olderguy

Dedicated Follower of Lord Jesus
Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟15,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then what exactly is your problem/point? It's been shown that time is not constant and that time dilation happens all the time.

Did I not explain this already. First, don't refer to theories as facts. Secondly, I'm certain that time, as a place you can go to, doesn't exist.

Maybe you can slow down the Now between you and the Earth, and it will appear as if you traveled into the future. Maybe. But you will never go back to the past because there is no past place to go to. Time is how we measure the changes in the Now because we're mortal and we live in a temporal area of the universe. Time, as changes in the Now, are as real as aging is. And I assure you that as we live and breathe, we sure do age.

Another issue is all that's involved in trying to move at light speeds. It's not just a problem in propulsion. Although I tend to doubt we'll ever find a form of propulsion to move that fast. But maybe. However, even at near light speed a small amount of space debris will rip through our ship like a bullet through butter. Two huge problems. I think there are more problems too, but I'm hardly an astrophysicist so I don't know what they are.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did I not explain this already. First, don't refer to theories as facts. Secondly, I'm certain that time, as a place you can go to, doesn't exist.
Ha. Funny how many claim time really doesn't exist.

Time is useful to science apparently to explain what is NOT there any more.

“It was strange, because that part of the sky's been surveyed lots of times - and then something really bright and new appears.”

Then, the pulsar vanished. Its wheeling beams of radio waves now pass us by, and the researchers have calculated that this can be explained by “precession”: the dying star wobbling into the dip in space-time that its own orbit created.

BBC News - ?Bent time? tips pulsar out of view

Upvote 0