• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

my take on what would be helpful with guns

Bradskii

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟293,880.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is a such thing as the reasonable person standard in cases like self defense.
But we're not talking about self defence. We're talking about securing your guns.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟976,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But we're not talking about self defence. We're talking about securing your guns.
I know and there are plenty of reasonable people who would see no reason to secure their guns if the kids are taught proper gun safety or even just securing them out of reach. For eample, my late father kept his gun on the top shelf of his and mother's cloest, but not locked up just out of reach of my sister and me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟1,007,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was thinking a few days ago

How would we enforce gun safety locks and things short of something happening?

In other words, the law is not allowed in people's homes unless either A someone in the home is "on paper" that is on probation or parole or B they have REASON to believe someone is breaking the law otherwise it violates the forth amendment and guess what if that is the case it would not matter what happened the person could not be charged.

Even not withstanding the forth amendment there is NO way the government could reasonably check up on everyone to ensure they are keeping their guns locked up. There are MILLIONS of gun owners most of whom's guns will never be used in a shooting they have other things to address unless they plan on having officers that went around doing just that which forth amendment forbids.
Again, you don't even have to lock them up if you don't want to, and would only face the same kind of punishment as a shooter in an incident only if something happens with them, etc, but since this law would go way, way beyond just your own children, but anyone under the legal age limit, the big question would then be are you really willing to take that risk just because you don't want to have to practice the inconvenience of locking them up, etc. I guarantee you the outcry/ostracism from the public would be very, very great if you did choose not to lock them up as well if something happened, along with prison time you'd probably be doing just because you didn't want the very, very minor inconvenience of keeping them locked up according to the just only minimum requirements of the law, etc. They would be demanding that you face the full penalty of the law, as well they should, and as well you should, etc. But no one is going to be checking up on you to see if your doing it or is going to be forcing you to do it, etc, but you'll only face consequences like that only if something happens only, etc.

Say whatever else you will, and while you will still have the option of not keeping them secure or locked up, it would be way, way beyond unreasonable and irresponsible, and flat out lazy, and it can be anyone under the age limit getting a hold of them, and any much more reasonable or responsible person would keep them secured or locked up to what was just at least the minimum requirements of the law, especially in light of the potential risks and/or consequences if something happens, etc.

I guarantee you it would eliminate around 85-90-95% of all school shooting incidents, etc. But if your too lazy/irresponsible, then I guess you're just too lazy/irresponsible I guess, and I guess you just don't care enough to be only minorly inconvenienced or something.

You're not even using them most of the time, so why wouldn't you keep them locked up, etc?

And it doesn't even have to be a fancy expensive safe either, but just some plain old action or trigger locks will do, etc.

Just lazy and irresponsible, etc, and shows you just don't care enough, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟293,880.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I know and there are plenty of reasonable people who would see no reason to secure their guns if the kids are taught proper gun safety or even just securing them out of reach. For eample, my late father kept his gun on the top shelf of his and mother's cloest, but not locked up just out of reach of my sister and me
But you're back to suggesting that there should be a law for securing your guns - unless you think you're a reasonable person. In which case you can excuse yourself. Laws don't work like that. Do you really imagine someone finds out about the law and thinks 'Well gee, I better get a safe, because I'm not a reasonable person'.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟1,007,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Again, you don't even have to lock them up if you don't want to, and would only face the same kind of punishment as a shooter in an incident only if something happens with them, etc, but since this law would go way, way beyond just your own children, but anyone under the legal age limit, the big question would then be are you really willing to take that risk just because you don't want to have to practice the inconvenience of locking them up, etc. I guarantee you the outcry/ostracism from the public would be very, very great if you did choose not to lock them up as well if something happened, along with prison time you'd probably be doing just because you didn't want the very, very minor inconvenience of keeping them locked up according to the just only minimum requirements of the law, etc. They would be demanding that you face the full penalty of the law, as well they should, and as well you should, etc. But no one is going to be checking up on you to see if your doing it or is going to be forcing you to do it, etc, but you'll only face consequences like that only if something happens only, etc.

Say whatever else you will, and while you will still have the option of not keeping them secure or locked up, it would be way, way beyond unreasonable and irresponsible, and flat out lazy, and it can be anyone under the age limit getting a hold of them, and any much more reasonable or responsible person would keep them secured or locked up to what was just at least the minimum requirements of the law, especially in light of the potential risks and/or consequences if something happens, etc.

I guarantee you it would eliminate around 85-90-95% of all school shooting incidents, etc. But if your too lazy/irresponsible, then I guess you're just too lazy/irresponsible I guess, and I guess you just don't care enough to be only minorly inconvenienced or something.

You're not even using them most of the time, so why wouldn't you keep them locked up, etc?

And it doesn't even have to be a fancy expensive safe either, but just some plain old action or trigger locks will do, etc.

Just lazy and irresponsible, etc, and shows you just don't care enough, etc.

God Bless.
I live alone, and have a home security system, and no minors or children around, and not even very many friends or people I know or have around, or in my home, etc, and I keep a loaded pistol in my dresser drawer next to my bed, and now I think I'm going to take the next step and put a trigger lock on it now, etc. And I have two rifles, and one is in a locked gun case already, and I'm thinking about putting action locks on both of them in addition to that now, just as an added security measure, even though I live alone, and no one comes in here basically, and I have a home security system and no minors around and all of that, etc. I still think I'm going to get those in addition to that soon now, and start doing that soon now, etc. I'm putting it on my list now the next time I get paid, and I'm going to start doing that soon, etc.

God Bless.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟1,007,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I live alone, and have a home security system, and no minors or children around, and not even very many friends or people I know or have around, or in my home, etc, and I keep a loaded pistol in my dresser drawer next to my bed, and now I think I'm going to take the next step and put a trigger lock on it now, etc. And I have two rifles, and one is in a locked gun case already, and I'm thinking about putting action locks on both of them in addition to that now, just as an added security measure, even though I live alone, and no one comes in here basically, and I have a home security system and no minors around and all of that, etc. I still think I'm going to get those in addition to that soon now, and start doing that soon now, etc. I'm putting it on my list now the next time I get paid, and I'm going to start doing that soon, etc.

God Bless.
Set of three keyed alike masterlock trigger locks on Amazon, 30 dollars, and a set of three keyed alike cable locks, or what I call action locks, 15 dollars on Amazon. I'm getting both the next time I get paid, and I'm going to start using them. You can get more than that that are all keyed alike, but I only own three guns, so...? Oh, and you also have the choice between keyed alike, or combination locked alike, etc. I'm going with the keyed though, etc.

God Bless.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟1,007,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Set of three keyed alike masterlock trigger locks on Amazon, 30 dollars, and a set of three keyed alike cable locks, or what I call action locks, 15 dollars on Amazon. I'm getting both the next time I get paid, and I'm going to start using them. You can get more than that that are all keyed alike, but I only own three guns, so...? Oh, and you also have the choice between keyed alike, or combination locked alike, etc. I'm going with the keyed though, etc.

God Bless.
Trigger locks are generally more secure than cable locks, so I'm going to try and use those on all three of my guns, but there is just one of them that a trigger lock might not work on though, but if it doesn't work on just that one, it will be the one that is already locked up in it's own individual carrying case, and so I will just put a cable lock on that one in addition to it's already being locked up in it's own case.

Even though I don't have minors/children around, live alone, hardly have anyone over, have my own home security system, and all of that, etc. I still feel like I should do it anyway, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0