Is the Holy Trinity similar to the three parts of God's being?

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I caution the wording here, because it leads to error. “parts” is what concerns me because:
  • Human beings have three [parts] body, soul, spirit (two opposites with a buffer or bridge between the two) making one tripartite human being.
  • God is three [individuals] Father, Son, Holy Spirit (three equal persons) making one triune God.
An example is the universe:
  • three spatial dimensions length, depth, height
  • none of which is “part” of the universe but a triunity of equal dimensions = one universe
  • the absence of any one of the dimensions makes the existence of the other two impossible
Could this be true of God? I ask, because I do not know nor have any evidence to back the suspicion I have. Why is God triune? Possibly because that is what it takes for God to exist.

Human beings can exist as disembodied spirits (2 Corinthians 5:8) a state of being further evidenced in Luke 16:19–31 and:

Mark 9:43–48 (KJV)
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

You get the idea.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟945,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I caution the wording here, because it leads to error. “parts” is what concerns me because:
  • Human beings have three [parts] body, soul, spirit (two opposites with a buffer or bridge between the two) making one tripartite human being.
  • God is three [individuals] Father, Son, Holy Spirit (three equal persons) making one triune God.
  • none of which is “part” of the universe but a triunity of equal dimensions = one universe
  • the absence of any one of the dimensions makes the existence of the other two impossible
Could this be true of God? I ask, because I do not know nor have any evidence to back the suspicion I have. Why is God triune? Possibly because that is what it takes for God to exist.

Human beings can exist as disembodied spirits (2 Corinthians 5:8) a state of being further evidenced in Luke 16:19–31 and:

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

You get the idea.
Isaiah makes it clear that the One has several names. Blessings.

Isaiah 9:6​

6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.​

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God's existence depends on nothing. God is existence.
Human beings can exist as disembodied spirits (2 Corinthians 5:8)
They exist, but are incomplete without their immortal human spirit.
a state of being further evidenced in Luke 16:19–31 and:

You get the idea.

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah makes it clear that the One has several names. Blessings.

Isaiah 9:6​

6 For unto us a Child is born,​

Unto us a Son is given;​

And the government will be upon His shoulder.​

And His name will be called​

Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,​

Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.​

Indeed and several offices...

Isaiah 11:2 (KJV)
2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

The Spirit of the LORD
  • the spirit of wisdom
  • and understanding,
  • the spirit of counsel
  • and might,
  • the spirit of knowledge
  • and of the fear of the LORD;

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God's existence depends on nothing. God is existence.

They exist, but are incomplete without their immortal human spirit.

Not to get in a spitting contest over words...

#1 God exists because God exists (I AM BECAUSE I AM) Exodus 3:14-15

#2 Human spirits longed to be clothed with immortal BODIES (2 Corinthians 5) not spirits

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not to get in a spitting contest over words...

#1 God exists because God exists (I AM BECAUSE I AM) Exodus 3:14-15

#2 Human spirits longed to be clothed with immortal BODIES (2 Corinthians 5) not spirits
Must've had a senior moment there.

I meant that immortal human spirits exist, but are incomplete without their human bodies.

Thanks!

Reactions: JohnD70X7
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟496,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

You get the idea.

The traditional churches correctly insist that God is not divided into parts nor compounded. This violates the theological principle of Divine Simplicity.

The three Persons of the Holy Trinity are just that - Persons, each with their own Hypostasis, united in one essence with the Father. The Only begotten Son and Word of God is also united in essence with the humanity, having put on our humanity, thus hypostatically uniting deity and humanity in one prosopon (person).

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0