• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟125,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was asking whether circumcision would also not be a work to you, since no one can circumcise himself.
Circumcision incorporated its recipients into the saving community of Israel. God's action in circumcision does this. Therefore, it can not be a "work."

Since circumcision is time bound and apart of the OT, I just don't study circumcision....there are many more on CF who knows more about this stuff than I do.

I am fully aware of Baptism reference to circumcision in Col. 2, and I don't fully understand Paul's statements as there is no parallel passage to explain it. Perhaps, due to the Judaizers in Galatians Paul is referring baptism in essence has taken the place of circumcision but this is only a guess.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟389,484.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Comparing circumcision with baptism is somewhat complicated. I don't hold a one for one correspondence. Circumcision does not share in the incarnation the way baptism does (Romans 6:2ff) and in the atonement the way the Lord's Supper does (I Cor 10 & 11, Matthew 26:28).
Nevertheless, those who believe in the baptism of infants frequently tie the rite of baptism to that of circumcision in order to defend the idea that infant Jewish males, who received the rite at eight days after birth, are comparable to Jewish and Gentile babies of church members who receive their rite within a short time after birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟233,460.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Circumcision incorporated its recipients into the saving community of Israel. God's action in circumcision does this. Therefore, it can not be a "work."

That was my original question to you.

Thanks for confirming. At least you are being consistent in your reasoning.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟125,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nevertheless, those who believe in the baptism of infants frequently tie the rite of baptism to that of circumcision in order to defend the idea that infant Jewish males, who received the rite at eight days after birth, are comparable to Jewish and Gentile babies of church members who receive their rite within a short time after birth.
This is clearly Reformed theology via their belief in covenant theology in the NT. Something I don't hold to.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟389,484.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is clearly Reformed theology via their belief in covenant theology in the NT. Something I don't hold to.
That is quite true. IMO Reformed theology sometimes (some might say frequently) stretches scripture to fit its theology - a problem which is hardly unique to Reformed theology BTW.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟125,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(some might say frequently) stretches scripture to fit its theology - a problem which is hardly unique to Reformed theology BTW.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. This should be a prayer that all who comment on CF to avoid.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟233,460.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't know that at all. What we have is a very brief summary of discussions which occurred over several days.

Just to clarify, do you share the same reasoning as him that since one cannot baptize himself, baptism is therefore not a work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟17,989.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey David. Thank you for actually using the scriptures.
It's not common to find many doing that, more than just stating what they believe.
Thanks! I try to back up what I write with the bible. This is essential, in my view. The Bereans were commended for checking the Scriptures:

“10 ¶ Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily [to find out] whether these things were so.” (Ac 17:10-11 NKJV)

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟123,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Baptism is not a work a Christian does. There are at least three basic elements to baptism: 1) Water applied to the human body 2) In the true name of God (Triune Formula) 3) Another Christian baptizing the recipient.

All Christians are passive in their baptism. No Christian baptizes himself. Baptism is always the work of another. In other words, NO CHRISTIAN CAN TAKE CREDIT FOR THEIR BAPTISM. No Christian can get credit for baptism anymore than they can take or get credit for open heart surgery. In open heart surgery, the recipient is in a passive state and does not contribute anything to it.

Some might say, "I consented to be baptized." However, consenting to be baptized is not baptism, it is consenting.... any more than consenting to open heart surgery is the actual surgery itself. Baptism is not a work the recipient does in "partnership" with God. It is not a public testimony, it is not an outward response to an inward reality....all these supposed definitions of baptism are not found in Scripture.

The Christian receives baptism...and that is it.

More on this later.
Well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. My view, however, is very different from this. I do see Water Baptism as a Christian "work," not designed to save but to express publicly that salvation has been received and embraced.

Jesus told his disciples, who we might call "Christians," to baptize those who had been lost and who had received the Gospel. So it was Christians who baptized and Christians who received baptism. This is very different from your approach. But again, you're welcome to your opinion.

Christians consent to baptize others, and Christians consent to be baptized. So they are obeying Jesus in this matter, and thus, doing a work *as Christians.*

Baptism, therefore, is for me a Christian work designed to make a public profession that faith has already been received. It is a valuable historical moment in which the believer can point back to when he or she made their 1st profession of faith to the world.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟123,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Works to get saved"?
Interesting. That's a first. Persons on here say that works cannot save you.
Can you please give me a list of those "works *to get saved.*"? Thank you.
Sure, Jesus said this...
John 6.27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

The reason you don't hear things expressed this way very often is because there is a language issue involved that can create confusion. And nobody wants to create confusion needlessly.

But in this matter the words cannot be avoided, and I'm not afraid to bring them. The confusion exists over the matter of *earning one's own Salvation,* and that certainly is not what I mean by "working for Salvation."

So let me be clear by using other words, as well. In the matter of "atonement," only Christ could make atonement for our sins. His work of atonement is the exclusive basis of our Salvation. So any work we do in the matter of achieving Salvation is not the same thing as "earning Salvation!"

So then, what do we mean by "working for Salvation?" It is choosing to believe God's word, which itself contains the virtue and atonement necessary for us to obtain, by our choice, Eternal Life.

We obtain Salvation by a *choice,* and not by God simply choosing for us. God chooses to offer Salvation, and we choose to receive it.

This then is the "work for Salvation." It is the choice we make to believe God's word so that we obey it and obtain the Salvation that God would give us.

Once we are saved, we can go on choosing to believe God's word, and enter into His virtue and into the life of Salvation. Christians do continue to work in partnership with God, via obedience to His word, after we've been saved, ie after choosing Salvation.
Can you please show me where you read Apollos "had not yet learned how to live in the Spirit of Jesus".
You already have the passage available to you! Apollos had not fully known the way of Christ, but had only known truths about Christ that he could faithfully teach others about.

To know fully the way of Christ he had to be taught about the Baptism that Jesus came to bring. It concerned matters of repentance, like John's Baptism, but it contained the necessity of conforming to Jesus, which comes by adherence to his Spirit.

And this is different from conformity to the Law, which sometimes consisted of no more than perfunctory performances. At times Israel completely lost the understanding of the spiritual value inherent in the Law. They sometimes lost the spiritual values that had been present in keeping the Law and therefore had become "blind."

Both OT and NT baptisms spoke of more than perfunctory performances. They required *spiritual understanding." The Prophet Isaiah spoke of this necessity in regard to the Law here...

Isa 35.3 Strengthen the feeble hands,
steady the knees that give way;
4 say to those with fearful hearts,
“Be strong, do not fear;
your God will come,
he will come with vengeance;
with divine retribution
he will come to save you.”
5 Then will the eyes of the blind be opened
and the ears of the deaf unstopped.

Isaiah was suggesting that lack of adherence to the word of God brought about an empty reliance upon the Law that had created a spiritual blindness. It is obedience to God's word that brings about a full knowledge of Him, resulting in a full understanding of the ways of God.

This is the Spirit Baptism that Jesus came to bring--a full knowledge of God, His word, and the means of transformative obedience. It was not any longer adherence to the Law, but even better, it was conformity to Christ who had already fulfilled the Law. (I'm in particular referring to the Law of Redemption, which required Christ's atonement for our sins.)
Forgive me please. I'm still trying to get used to the many things people say, which I have never read.
Can you explain please, what you mean by "living in the Spirit in accordance with the Law".
The full knowledge of God can be lost with religion. It was that way with me for the 1st couple of decades of my Christian life. I performed what I thought was Christian adherence to the religion. But I lacked the knowledge of God in any depth. I knew God, but certainly not well enough to be aware of His guidance in matters of testifying about Him to others with any great effectiveness.

I had to learn that it requires a greater sensitivity to God's word that enables us to know God better. It is when we specifically obey His impulses to righteous living that we come to appreciate Him better, and understand how we are to live differently than this pagan world. Our testimony, then, consists of this adherence to God's word in contrast to how the world has chosen to live.

So when Israel lived by the Law of Moses, and had lost sensitivity to God's word in their heart, this compromise resulted in a loss of knowing God and His word. The same thing had happened to Apollos, who had converted to Christ, but who had not yet come to recognize more than a rote acceptance of the truths of Christianity.

He had to learn a greater sensitivity to the Spirit of God in his soul so that in living his message he showed the contrast between his renewed life and the pagan life of the world. This was more "exhibiting Jesus" than conformity to rules and a teaching of knowledge.
You don't see?
There were twelve disciples, who were baptized in John's baptism.
They got baptized after Paul explained to them that John's baptism was a baptism of repentance in preparation for the one that was to come, in whom they should believe in.
When the people heard this, they got baptized, after which Paul laid his hands on them and they received holy spirit.

Acts 19:1-7...
1 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”
“John’s baptism,” they replied.
4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

Were these persons required to be baptized in the name of Jesus, even thought baptized by John? Why, or why not?
Please consider John 1:35-37; John 3:22-4:3
John's Baptism was pre-Christian, and designed to instigate a better obedience to the Law. Yet it was a baptism of repentance.

In Christian baptism, the "repentance" element remains for those who were pagans or who had been living in sin. They were to show their full conversion from the pagan world by publicly displaying their "death" to the world, and new life in the Spirit.

They were choosing to follow not the Law of Moses but the example and Spirit of Jesus, whose righteousness transcended and fulfilled all that the Law represented on behalf of our redemption. If these people had only been baptized with the Baptism of John, they were still living under the Law, and needed to convert to the Baptism of Jesus, where the Law had already been fulfilled.

We are not talking about a particular baptismal formula in which names are used in a specific liturgical manner. Rather, it is a matter of understanding what the Baptism represents.

Death by immersion to what? We are dying to a sinful lifestyle, to paganism, and rising up to follow Jesus--not the 613 requirements of the Law of Moses. We are changing from conformity to the world to allowing Jesus to exhibit conformity to his word in us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟125,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but to express publicly that salvation has been received and embraced.
I have been searching for years trying to find where Scripture says this specifically. You also stated this is post #56. Baptists and American Evangelicals are supposed to be real big on Sola Scriptura and use Scripture as their only source for their theology. Is it possible this is just a "made up" definition and added to Scripture?

So I will ask you ONE MORE TIME. Where does Scripture state Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change or a public proclamation and testimony of God's work in a believers life?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟563,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes. Thank you for pointing out my error.

No worries - I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying. I myself have made similiar and at times even more embarassing slips.

For example, I have always been a fan of Ricardo Montalban, to the extent that I am deeply upset at Chrysler for not only discontinuing the LX-platform 300/Charger/Challenger, but for not developing a luxurious Chrysler branded version with a Hemi callled the Cordoba, available even with soft corinthian leather. Yet, in 2009, I blurted out “Carl Montalban” when commenting on his repose. :doh:

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟389,484.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No worries - I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying. I myself have made similiar and at times even more embarassing slips.

For example, I have always been a fan of Ricardo Montalban, to the extent that I am deeply upset at Chrysler for not only discontinuing the LX-platform 300/Charger/Challenger, but for not developing a luxurious Chrysler branded version with a Hemi callled the Cordoba, available even with soft corinthian leather. Yet, in 2009, I blurted out “Carl Montalban” when commenting on his repose. :doh:
That is really funny. Likewise, I have had many similar, embarrassing slip ups.

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟123,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been searching for years trying to find where Scripture says this specifically. You also stated this is post #56. Baptists and American Evangelicals are supposed to be real big on Sola Scriptura and use Scripture as their only source for their theology. Is it possible this is just a "made up" definition and added to Scripture?

So I will ask you ONE MORE TIME. Where does Scripture state Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change or a public proclamation and testimony of God's work in a believers life?

I could care less how many times you give me to answer--I will answer the best I know how. I'm not a Baptist, and not all truth is contained in Scriptures.

Sometimes, what is said in Scriptures must be translated or explained for us to explain in our own culture and language. So enough of: "one last time," alright? You don't have to believe a word I have to say! This is just a conversation.

When others like me indicate that Baptism is an act not of "getting saved," but rather, of public profession after salvation, that appears to be pretty obvious. In other words, it's one of those things you don't need a verse to prove--it's that self-explanatory.

When I go get a glass of water, I don't need to have proof that the water is real, and not some metaphorical "water" that I'm drinking. When a person gets baptized who has already confessed Christ and received him as Savior, I don't need Scriptural proof that he got saved.

I'm not that kind of "Sola Scriptura," although I do place Scriptural authority above Papal authority. Some things are just plain common sense--sorry you've been around the world looking for something that is simply "common sense" to me! ;)

1 Pet 3.21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.

Water Baptism is symbolic of Spirit Baptism, which is the acceptance of believers into the Church community. Being baptized into somebody's name means you're willing to be identified with him. This is a common sense definition of "baptism." (see 1 Cor 1.13; 10.2)

John's Baptism was associated with John in his call to bring Israel to repentance. Jesus' Baptism was commonly known as "Spirit Baptism," but was actually baptism into the name of Jesus. Being batized in Jesus' name could fall short of what it meant, however, since people could perform the ritual and still not identify, spiritually, with Jesus.

And so, Jesus' Baptism is also called "Spirit Baptism," because in identifying with Jesus we should identify with Jesus spiritually. But even John's Baptism was supposed to be spiritual. We just don't call it "Spirit Baptism" until Jesus' Baptism, because his Spirit Baptism is distinct from the Law, and relies solely on a spiritual connection to Jesus, as opposed to works men did under the Law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
The South
✟42,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Pet 3.21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.

Water Baptism is symbolic of Spirit Baptism, which is the acceptance of believers into the Church community.
That's a non sequitur - Peter is saying that the water of the Flood is symbolic of baptism. He says nothing about water baptism itself being symbolic of anything.

Upvote 0