Farmington
✟30,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know why I just got this alert today on my phone when it seems all the articles are from January, but it's cool nonetheless!

Scientists at the University of Central Lancashire have discovered a gigantic, ring-shaped structure in space.
It is 1.3bn light-years in diameter and appears to be roughly 15 times the size of the Moon in the night sky as seen from Earth.
Named the Big Ring by the astronomers, it is made up of galaxies and galaxy clusters.
They say that it is so big it challenges our understanding of the universe.
It cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is really distant and identifying all the galaxies that make up the bigger structure has taken a lot of time and computing power.

Such large structures should not exist according to one of the guiding principles of astronomy, called the cosmological principle. This states that all matter is spread smoothly across the Universe.
Although stars, planets and galaxies are huge clumps of matter in our eyes, in the context of the size of the universe they are insignificant - and the theory is that much bigger patches of matter should not form.
The Big Ring is by no means the first likely violation of the cosmological principle and so suggests that there is another, yet to be discovered, factor at play.
According to Dr Robert Massey, deputy director of the Royal Astronomical Society, the evidence for a rethink of what has been a central plank of astronomy is growing.
"This is the seventh large structure discovered in the universe that contradicts the idea that the cosmos is smooth on the largest scales. If these structures are real, then it's definitely food for thought for cosmologists and the accepted thinking on how the universe has evolved over time," he said.

The Big Ring was identified by Alexia Lopez, a PhD student at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), who also discovered the Giant Arc - a structure spanning 3.3bn light-years of space.
Asked how it felt to have made the discoveries, she said: "It's really surreal. I do have to pinch myself, because I made these discoveries accidentally, they were serendipitous discoveries. But it is a big thing and I can't believe that I'm talking about it, I don't believe that it's me
"Neither of these two ultra-large structures is easy to explain in our current understanding of the universe," she said.
"And their ultra-large sizes, distinctive shapes, and cosmological proximity must surely be telling us something important - but what exactly?"

The giant arcs that may dwarf everything
Both the Big Ring and the Giant Arc appear relatively close together, near the constellation of Bootes the Herdsman.
Professor Don Pollacco, of the department of physics at the University of Warwick, said the likelihood of this occurring is vanishingly small so the two objects might be related and form an even larger structure.
"So the question is how do you make such large structures?
"It's incredibly hard to conceive of any mechanism that could produce these structures so instead the authors speculate that we are seeing a relic from the early universe where waves of high and low density material are 'frozen' in to extragalactic medium."

There are also similarly large structures discovered by other cosmologists - such as the Sloan Great Wall, which is around 1.5 billion light-years in length, and the South Pole Wall, which stretches 1.4 billion light-years across.
But the biggest single entity scientists have identified is a supercluster of galaxies called the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, which is about 10 billion light-years wide.
While the Big Ring appears as an almost perfect ring on the sky, analysis by Ms Lopez suggests it has more of a coil shape - like a corkscrew - with its face aligned with Earth.
"The Big Ring and the Giant Arc, both individually and together, gives us a big cosmological mystery as we work to understand the universe and its development."
The findings have been presented at the 243rd meeting of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) in New Orleans."

(In the beginning GOD CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH !)
בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ. Bereshit bara Elohim et HaShamayim VeEt HaAretz Amen!

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟30,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟130,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why I just got this alert today on my phone when it seems all the articles are from January, but it's cool nonetheless!

Scientists at the University of Central Lancashire have discovered a gigantic, ring-shaped structure in space.
It is 1.3bn light-years in diameter and appears to be roughly 15 times the size of the Moon in the night sky as seen from Earth.
Named the Big Ring by the astronomers, it is made up of galaxies and galaxy clusters.
It cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is really distant and identifying all the galaxies that make up the bigger structure has taken a lot of time and computing power.

Such large structures should not exist according to one of the guiding principles of astronomy, called the cosmological principle. This states that all matter is spread smoothly across the Universe.
Although stars, planets and galaxies are huge clumps of matter in our eyes, in the context of the size of the universe they are insignificant - and the theory is that much bigger patches of matter should not form.
The Big Ring is by no means the first likely violation of the cosmological principle and so suggests that there is another, yet to be discovered, factor at play.
According to Dr Robert Massey, deputy director of the Royal Astronomical Society, the evidence for a rethink of what has been a central plank of astronomy is growing.
"This is the seventh large structure discovered in the universe that contradicts the idea that the cosmos is smooth on the largest scales. If these structures are real, then it's definitely food for thought for cosmologists and the accepted thinking on how the universe has evolved over time," he said.

The Big Ring was identified by Alexia Lopez, a PhD student at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), who also discovered the Giant Arc - a structure spanning 3.3bn light-years of space.
Asked how it felt to have made the discoveries, she said: "It's really surreal. I do have to pinch myself, because I made these discoveries accidentally, they were serendipitous discoveries. But it is a big thing and I can't believe that I'm talking about it, I don't believe that it's me
"Neither of these two ultra-large structures is easy to explain in our current understanding of the universe," she said.
"And their ultra-large sizes, distinctive shapes, and cosmological proximity must surely be telling us something important - but what exactly?"

Both the Big Ring and the Giant Arc appear relatively close together, near the constellation of Bootes the Herdsman.
Professor Don Pollacco, of the department of physics at the University of Warwick, said the likelihood of this occurring is vanishingly small so the two objects might be related and form an even larger structure.
"It's incredibly hard to conceive of any mechanism that could produce these structures so instead the authors speculate that we are seeing a relic from the early universe where waves of high and low density material are 'frozen' in to extragalactic medium."

There are also similarly large structures discovered by other cosmologists - such as the Sloan Great Wall, which is around 1.5 billion light-years in length, and the South Pole Wall, which stretches 1.4 billion light-years across.
But the biggest single entity scientists have identified is a supercluster of galaxies called the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, which is about 10 billion light-years wide.
While the Big Ring appears as an almost perfect ring on the sky, analysis by Ms Lopez suggests it has more of a coil shape - like a corkscrew - with its face aligned with Earth.
"The Big Ring and the Giant Arc, both individually and together, gives us a big cosmological mystery as we work to understand the universe and its development."
The findings have been presented at the 243rd meeting of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) in New Orleans."

בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ. Bereshit bara Elohim et HaShamayim VeEt HaAretz Amen!
Amen to this. Man, I love posting Psalm 111:2 everywhere. :) Also, it is cool that this ring of galaxies faces the Earth.

Psalm 111:2 "Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them." This verse expresses admiration for God's great creation and works. Scientists engage with these works through their research and discovery. Faith and science complement each other, as both can acknowledge God's presence and power in the natural world. Scientific inquiry can be driven by a belief in a deeper meaning to the universe and a recognition of God's involvement. The verse affirms that studying God's works deepens our appreciation for and connection to the LORD.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟151,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Our ignorance doth increase greatly!

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟30,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Our ignorance doth increase greatly!

Is that a confession? It is nonetheless true. I agree totally. There are things out there mere mortal man shall never figure out no matter how much science is applied, because Yahweh Elohim in Yeshua is the living God, who is a mystery but in plain sight, for the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament sheweth his handiwork as Psalm 19 declares.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟151,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Is that a confession? It is nonetheless true. I agree totally. There are things out there mere mortal man shall never figure out no matter how much science is applied, because Yahweh Elohim in Yeshua is the living God, who is a mystery but in plain sight, for the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament sheweth his handiwork as Psalm 19 declares.
It’s a truism. When we “know more” our ignorance increases as well.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟130,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, at Warp Factor 9, it will take the USS Enterprise about 857,000 years to travel from one end of the ring of galaxies to the other. :)

Source: https://www.st-minutiae.com/resources/warp/index.html
Enterprise top speed (Warp 9.2 or 9.6): Is the Orville really faster than the USS Enterprise? - Science vs Hollywood

1715556334887.png

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟30,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
It’s a truism. When we “know more” our ignorance increases as well.

It's because of the infiniteness of God. Like when the James Webb telescope revealed all those far flung distant galaxies which destroyed that 14 point something billion years estimation. Still we are not seeing what's beyond that and there is more.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟130,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's because of the infiniteness of God. Like when the James Webb telescope revealed all those far flung distant galaxies which destroyed that 14 point something billion years estimation. Still we are not seeing what's beyond that and there is more.
Amen to this. :) Even the Bible told us to appreciate God's creation, as his handiwork. The universe is billions of years old, and billions of light years across.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟30,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen to this. :) Even the Bible told us to appreciate God's creation, as his handiwork. The universe is billions of years old, and billions of light years across.

I don't believe it's billions of years old, but believe that it is TRILLIONS or more light years across. Funny, I'm reading on another page and just this very moment came across this I thought would go well here,

"Even though divine mysteries exist, this is not a sufficient plea to be ignorant of God’s ways and will. William Bridge (1600-1670)"

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟130,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe it's billions of years old, but believe that it is TRILLIONS or more light years across. Funny, I'm reading on another page and just this very moment came across this I thought would go well here,

"Even though divine mysteries exist, this is not a sufficient plea to be ignorant of God’s ways and will. William Bridge (1600-1670)"
So, you are a YEC, if I may ask? Yes, the universe might be trillions of light years across. I am an OEC. God made a massive cathedral of space that is billions of years old, with beauty in every corner.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟30,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
So, you are a YEC, if I may ask? Yes, the universe might be trillions of light years across. I am an OEC. God made a massive cathedral of space that is billions of years old, with beauty in every corner.

I'm basically YEC but with a catch. When God created in the beginning, He was speaking and creating from eternity. Eternity is timeless: it goes forever back and forever forward. "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." (Isaiah 57:15)

Now grasp if you can the omnipresence of God, that He is everywhere that ever was and ever will be. He also created time, and there will come a "time" when there shall be time no longer (Revelation 10:6) Though there are different translations that say, "that time shall no more be." (Wycliffe), "that there should be delay no longer," (NKJV - one of the places it differs from the KJV), "that time should be no more." (1599 Geneva)

But what we had at creation was God who inhabits eternity and is everywhere, creating, so there is no need for light "travelling" at the beginning, but that it was manifest everywhere at once and then began its motions in the linear time line. Heavy stuff!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟130,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm basically YEC but with a catch. When God created in the beginning, He was speaking and creating from eternity. Eternity is timeless: it goes forever back and forever forward. "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." (Isaiah 57:15)

Now grasp if you can the omnipresence of God, that He is everywhere that ever was and ever will be. He also created time, and there will come a "time" when there shall be time no longer (Revelation 10:6) Though there are different translations that say, "that time shall no more be." (Wycliffe), "that there should be delay no longer," (NKJV - one of the places it differs from the KJV), "that time should be no more." (1599 Geneva)

But what we had at creation was God who inhabits eternity and is everywhere, creating, so there is no need for light "travelling" at the beginning, but that it was manifest everywhere at once and then began its motions in the linear time line. Heavy stuff!
Well, regardless of being OEC or YEC or in between, we both believe God made the universe, and that is all that matters.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

It did not. The Universe is still 13.7 Gyr old. JWST hasn't changed that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟130,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It did not. The Universe is still 13.7 Gyr old. JWST hasn't changed that.
Agreed 100%. The James Webb telescope has not disproven the 13.8 billion year age of the universe.

By the way, speaking of astronomy, this astronomer Dr. David K. be looking fine like a Hollywood star (get it, as space has stars), pun intended. :) He studies exoplanets: Home

1715566956947.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟151,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

That’s the smart move: building a universe where the light is just like it would be as if billions of seconds had already whisked by for us to witness but in reality it’s only a few tho years old, to prove how eternal One is.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,276,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Christian orthodoxy doesn't suggest there was an eternity before the universe existed, as an infinite succession of temporality, rather God creates out of a timeless state. If one were to conceive of something outside our universe, it would necessarily be timeless, because all the evidence is that time itself began billions of years ago.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,416,034.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some wisdom imputed to King Solomon.
Ecc. 3:9 What profit has the worker from that in which he labors? 10 I have seen the God-given task with which the sons of men are to be occupied. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.(NKJV)

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0