WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Man, seems like Germany has issues with the far-right as well just as the US has the MAGA and fascist groups. The article is from a Guardian collaboration with the Associated Press: German far-right leader in court charged with using Nazi slogan

Any Germans here on Christian Forums, such as @Nithavela ? What are your thoughts on this news?

Short summary of the open-access article by The Guardian (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

Björn Höcke, a prominent far-right figure in Germany's Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) party, stands trial on charges of using a Nazi slogan, "Everything for Germany!," during a speech in May 2021. Prosecutors claim Höcke, the leader of AfD's eastern state branch in Thuringia, was aware of the phrase's Nazi origins as a slogan of the SA stormtroopers. The trial began on April 18, 2024 and Höcke maintains his innocence, insisting he was unaware of the slogan's history. Demonstrators gathered outside the court to protest against Höcke and the AfD party. With Thuringia's state election approaching on September 1, 2024, and the AfD in first place in polls with around ~30% support, the party's strength complicates coalition formation. The AfD has been criticized for radicalization and extremist views, with its Thuringia branch under official surveillance as a "proven right-wing extremist" group. The party's leader in Berlin once called the Holocaust memorial a "monument of shame," and Höcke has been influential in moving the AfD further to the right.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,779.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Man, seems like Germany has issues with the far-right as well just as the US has the MAGA and fascist groups. The article is from a Guardian collaboration with the Associated Press: German far-right leader in court charged with using Nazi slogan

Any Germans here on Christian Forums, such as @Nithavela ? What are your thoughts on this news?

Short summary of the open-access article by The Guardian (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

Björn Höcke, a prominent far-right figure in Germany's Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) party, stands trial on charges of using a Nazi slogan, "Everything for Germany!," during a speech in May 2021. Prosecutors claim Höcke, the leader of AfD's eastern state branch in Thuringia, was aware of the phrase's Nazi origins as a slogan of the SA stormtroopers. The trial began on April 18, 2024 and Höcke maintains his innocence, insisting he was unaware of the slogan's history. Demonstrators gathered outside the court to protest against Höcke and the AfD party. With Thuringia's state election approaching on September 1, 2024, and the AfD in first place in polls with around ~30% support, the party's strength complicates coalition formation. The AfD has been criticized for radicalization and extremist views, with its Thuringia branch under official surveillance as a "proven right-wing extremist" group. The party's leader in Berlin once called the Holocaust memorial a "monument of shame," and Höcke has been influential in moving the AfD further to the right.
What are my thoughts on what exactly? That Höcke would use such a phrase? The guy isn't even pretending to be anything but a neo-nazi. It's a shame for the whole country that his party is still raking in votes. So much for never again. Once the AfD seizes power in germany, I'll be vacating the premises before they start gassing jews and queers again.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I feel like the pot of petunias from H2G2.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are my thoughts on what exactly? That Höcke would use such a phrase? The guy isn't even pretending to be anything but a neo-nazi. It's a shame for the whole country that his party is still raking in votes. So much for never again. Once the AfD seizes power in germany, I'll be vacating the premises before they start gassing jews and queers again.
Yeah, this Höcke dude needs to be put in prison, for life without parole. It is sad how the AfD even exists in 2024. I am a brown guy, and am so glad to not be living in East Germany. Why hasn't the the German government shut the AfD down yet? I would have shut that extremist group down years ago.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like the pot of petunias from H2G2.
Ooh, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is top-tier sci-fi. :) Read it for a sci-fi class in 2016.

From some artist named
1713757809473.png

1713757773099.jpeg

Anyways, it is getting late here, but man, we got to discuss our favorite sci-fi books/movies one of these days.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,779.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, this Höcke dude needs to be put in prison, for life without parole. It is sad how the AfD even exists in 2024. I am a brown guy, and am so glad to not be living in East Germany. Why hasn't the the German government shut the AfD down yet? I would have shut that extremist group down years ago.
Because for all that blovating about "defensive democracy" our teachers have blovated in school, germanys political system is just as vulnerable to populist as all others.

Besides, the problem isn't Höcke. The problem are the people who are willing to vote for him, either because they are far right themselves or they are willing to tolerate the far right to get what they want. Thüringen was the biggest voter base for Hitlers party when he got into power, too. Nothing has changed. Soon, the CDU, our current supposedly centrist party, will start going into coalitions with the AfD to get into power, and then they'll quickly become the junior partner, then sidelined and finally forbidden with all the other non-afd parties.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ooh, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is top-tier sci-fi. :) Read it for a sci-fi class in 2016.

From some artist named View attachment 346371
View attachment 346369

Anyways, it is getting late here, but man, we got to discuss our favorite sci-fi books/movies one of these days.
Venus on the Half-shell by Kilgore Trout (pseudonym for Philip José Farmer, with permission of Kurt Vonnegut Jr), used to be a hard find, but these days, who knows?
It’s quirky.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because for all that blovating about "defensive democracy" our teachers have blovated in school, germanys political system is just as vulnerable to populist as all others.

Besides, the problem isn't Höcke. The problem are the people who are willing to vote for him, either because they are far right themselves or they are willing to tolerate the far right to get what they want. Thüringen was the biggest voter base for Hitlers party when he got into power, too. Nothing has changed. Soon, the CDU, our current supposedly centrist party, will start going into coalitions with the AfD to get into power, and then they'll quickly become the junior partner, then sidelined and finally forbidden with all the other non-afd parties.
It seems as if history repeats itself. Yeah, the same problem is here in the US, the far-right, especially from places in the deep south where the Confederates existed during the Civil War.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Venus on the Half-shell by Kilgore Trout (pseudonym for Philip José Farmer, with permission of Kurt Vonnegut Jr), used to be a hard find, but these days, who knows?
It’s quirky.
I will try that one out, after getting Greg Bear - Darwin's Radio finished. My local library has everything.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟885,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems as if history repeats itself. Yeah, the same problem is here in the US, the far-right, especially from places in the deep south where the Confederates existed during the Civil War.
Which far-right politicians in the South do you think are the most serious threats?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DJWhalen

Do your best and let God do the rest.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟17,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican

Well, this is a thread about Germany, not the US.

Why did you bring the US up.

Upvote 0

DJWhalen

Do your best and let God do the rest.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟17,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Well, just to say that we have similar issues from extremists. I can make a separate post about this later today after work.
Huh... thought so.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

It seems like alot of the reactionary sentiment is strongest in Bavaria and eastern Germany?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,779.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It seems like alot of the reactionary sentiment is strongest in Bavaria and eastern Germany?
East germany, mostly, with the exception of Berlin.

Bavaria is still strongly in the hand of the CSU, the more conservative sister party of the CDU which has been ruling Bavaria since the beginning of the republic. Mostly because the CDU needs the power of the CSU to rule and thus gives the CSU and thus Bavaria an inordinate amount of weight in federal politics. And also because people in Bavaria tend to be more conservative in general.

As I said it's always been this way. Hitlers NSDAP liked to call Thuringia it's "Schutz- und Trutzgau" (Protection and Fortress District).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
East germany, mostly, with the exception of Berlin.

Bavaria is still strongly in the hand of the CSU, the more conservative sister party of the CDU which has been ruling Bavaria since the beginning of the republic. Mostly because the CDU needs the power of the CSU to rule and thus gives the CSU and thus Bavaria an inordinate amount of weight in federal politics. And also because people in Bavaria tend to be more conservative in general.

As I said it's always been this way. Hitlers NSDAP liked to call Thuringia it's "Schutz- und Trutzgau" (Protection and Fortress District).

It's interesting that the strongest support for the far right occurs in the least religious part of Germany. East Germany is the Atheist belt, from what I understand.

Perhaps economic insecurities have something to do with the support? I get the sense alot of East Germans feel left behind.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,779.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting that the strongest support for the far right occurs in the least religious part of Germany. East Germany is the Atheist belt, from what I understand.

Perhaps economic insecurities have something to do with the support? I get the sense alot of East Germans feel left behind.
The atheist part comes from the russian occupation, but the far right sentiments predate the second world war, so I don't think there's much causation.

Upvote 0