• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

FLAT or ROUND Earth?

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,264,648.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟981,170.00
Faith
Atheist
I suspect that you'll be acutely embarrassed when the reality of the stationary, flat earth is released to the public. But perhaps not.
You'll be on your death bed and this will not have happened just like you'll be wondering why the 2nd coming hadn't happened.

I'd bet you if there was a way to collect.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟301,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Show me the data.
I don’t have to show you any data because I don’t need to reinvent physics for your benefit which in this case states an object moving in a curved path is subject to real centripetal and fictitious centrifugal forces.

You introduced tangential velocity into this thread so by definition the flight path of the aircraft is curved and using your example of the NY Bogota route which is a straight line means the flight path is in a plane perpendicular to your flat earth.
Here lies the problem in your example, how does an aircraft maintain a constant cruising altitude when the flight path is curved when the earth below it is supposedly flat?
The problem disappears for a spherical earth and the aircraft travels along a great circle on the NY Bogota route.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟289,674.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your web page claims about South American/Australian flights have been comprehensively debunked. By people who have actually made the flight. And by showing you routes on an app that we were specifically told to investigate.

Your response? 'Hey, ribosomes!'

What a joke. And again, where's the map that shows that Sydney to Santiago goes via (wait for it)...Los Angeles? We need to see why flight times to Santiago are 50% longer via LAX when you say it's the shortest route.

Please address what has been posted. And show us the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Your web page claims about South American/Australian flights have been comprehensively debunked. By people who have actually made the flight. And by showing you routes on an app that we were specifically told to investigate.

Your response? 'Hey, ribosomes!'

What a joke. And again, where's the map that shows that Sydney to Santiago goes via (wait for it)...Los Angeles? We need to see why flight times to Santiago are 50% longer via LAX when you say it's the shortest route.

Please address what has been posted. And show us the map.
You're confusing time and distance. Have you ever heard of stopovers?

Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear a lot of Christians saying that we live on a flat earth and nobody can go in or out the earth. Is the Bible clear on this subject?
When then if some believe the earth is flat and the sun rises in the east and sets in the west does Alaska have 6 months of nights and six months of darkness?

Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You'll be on your death bed and this will not have happened just like you'll be wondering why the 2nd coming hadn't happened.

I'd bet you if there was a way to collect.
I see that you're struggling with this. Thank you for your interest in Plane Geodesy. Take care.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟289,674.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't talk nonsense. Two of the three flight times I have personally experienced. From Sydney to LA and from Sydney to Santiago. Saying that going from Sydney to Santiago via LA (and I simply mean overflying it) is quicker than flying from Sydney to Santiago is absolutely preposterous. Monstrously so. It's galactically nonsensical.

Show me the map from which you have proposed this fantasy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don’t have to show you any data because I don’t need to reinvent physics for your benefit which in this case states an object moving in a curved path is subject to real centripetal and fictitious centrifugal forces.

You introduced tangential velocity into this thread so by definition the flight path of the aircraft is curved and using your example of the NY Bogota route which is a straight line means the flight path is in a plane perpendicular to your flat earth.
Here lies the problem in your example, how does an aircraft maintain a constant cruising altitude when the flight path is curved when the earth below it is supposedly flat?
The problem disappears for a spherical earth and the aircraft travels along a great circle on the NY Bogota route.
The REAL flight path is (for the most part) parallel to the flat earth. You would probably not want to be on a plane whose flight path was perpendicular to the flat earth. In any case, in terms of the FICTITIOUS heliocentric flight path, the issue under discussion was the latitude-dependent tangential velocity resulting from the earth's (alleged) rotation, not the (alleged) curvature of the earth per se. It's a pity that you find this so confusing.

Upvote 0

Edwin Wright

Mar 23, 2023
Nova Scotia
Visit site
✟19,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't talk nonsense. Two of the three flight times I have personally experienced. From Sydney to LA and from Sydney to Santiago. Saying that going from Sydney to Santiago via LA (and I simply mean overflying it) is quicker than flying from Sydney to Santiago is absolutely preposterous. Monstrously so. It's galactically nonsensical.

Show me the map from which you have proposed this fantasy.
The following (non-armchair) flat earth testimony from someone who actually works in the aviation industry may serve to quell the "absolutely preposterous" ("monstrously so") and "galactically nonsensical" heliocentric fantasy":

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Stopovers are irrelevant. We can look just at the flight times and distances.

SYD-SCL - 7086 miles (12.5 hours)

SYD-LAX - 7536 miles (15.75 hours)
LAX-SCL - 5615 miles (10.75 hours)

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟301,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The REAL flight path is (for the most part) parallel to the flat earth. You would probably not want to be on a plane whose flight path was perpendicular to the flat earth. In any case, in terms of the FICTITIOUS heliocentric flight path, the issue under discussion was the latitude-dependent tangential velocity resulting from the earth's (alleged) rotation, not the (alleged) curvature of the earth per se. It's a pity that you find this so confusing.
I suggest you go back and read my post #909 which clearly explains how your example also inadvertently provides the case against a flat earth.

Since the story now involves flying parallel to a flat earth let’s look at the science and maths here and consider a commercial aircraft cruising at an altitude of 10,000 m.
In the case of the aircraft flying around a spherical earth, the gravitational field has a spherical symmetry and the acceleration ‘a' is directed radially downwards and varies with height according to the formula;

a.gif

where:

G is the gravitational constant (6.67430×10⁻¹¹ N⋅m²/kg²)
M is the mass of the Earth (5.972×10²⁴ kg)
R is the mean radius of the Earth (6.371×10⁶ m)
h is the altitude above the Earth's surface.

At 10,000 m altitude;

a = 9.75 m/s².

This result is confirmed by accelerometer measurements.

For a flat earth gravity does strange things, it is only at the centre of a flat earth the gravitational field accelerates objects vertically downwards.
Since flat earthers are not terribly helpful on the physical shape of the flat earth such as its thickness, we mathematicians have had to make some assumptions.

(1) The flat earth is in the shape of a disk of radius R and has an infinitesimally small thickness.
(2) The mass of the earth is uniformly distributed throughout the disk.
(3) The disk sits in the x-y plane and the aircraft on the z axis which passes through the centre of the disk, in other words it is directly above the flat earth’s centre at a vertical distance or height z.

The acceleration equation is:

c.gif

The acceleration for the aircraft at 10,000 metres is found to be;

a = 19.6 m/s² nowhere near the value of 9.75 m/s².

Things get worse if that was possible when the aircraft is off-axis where the equation becomes horrendously more complicated and requires the use of elliptic functions.

As one moves away from the centre, there is a horizontal component of acceleration which becomes stronger as the vertical component weakens.
At the edge acceleration is a purely horizontal and an accelerometer on the aircraft would read zero at the edge as it measures acceleration purely in the radial (vertical) direction.

flat_earth.png

Gravity is yet another example which destroys this flat earth nonsense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,086,998.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
But wouldn't we fall off at the end if it's flat?

No because the rim is protected by 12 million polar bears who"s job it is is to stop people from going over the edge.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟289,674.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The following (non-armchair) flat earth testimony from someone who actually works in the aviation industry may serve to quell the "absolutely preposterous" ("monstrously so") and "galactically nonsensical" heliocentric fantasy":

Some guy talking about your debunked coriolus affect. Not interested. And incidentally, the guy said at 5:40 (yeah, I wasted 8 minutes of my life watching it) that there is no GPS signals mid ocean. That is simply wrong. You can even use the Google Earth app on your phone to see where you are on any trans oceanic flight. And I honestly did this two days ago on a flight across the South China Sea coming back to Australia after a holiday. So that two apps on your mobile that show you're wrong.

But we're talking about flight time to Santiago. And how your route (via LA) is nonsensically wrong.

Show us the map.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,086,998.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some guy talking about your debunked coriolus affect. Not interested. And incidentally, the guy said at 5:40 (yeah, I wasted 8 minutes of my life watching it) that there is no GPS signals mid ocean. That is simply wrong. You can even use the Google Earth app on your phone to see where you are on any trans oceanic flight. And I honestly did this two days ago on a flight across the South China Sea coming back to Australia after a holiday. So that two apps on your mobile that show you're wrong.

But we're talking about flight time to Santiago. And how your route (via LA) is nonsensically wrong.

Show us the map.

'The map' only exists in cartoon form.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,264,648.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Poor deluded guy. He needs to go on a few flights between Australia and Africa or South America to cure himself of this delusion.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0