• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

savinghopexx

Feb 24, 2024
Atlanta
✟13,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

I have been having severe anxiety over wether or not I need to fast. Recently I felt like I love food too much. Specifically in regards to going out to eat or ordering out. I sometimes have felt like food is something I really desire and something that I also look forward to, to bring me satisfaction which I know is a sin and is wrong. I repented of my idolatry and I am trying to re-frame my mind around food being what it is, just food. However, I am not sure if God is calling me to fast or not. I feel like I am not fully repenting if I am not fasting. I was thinking about fasting from restaurants but I have two events coming up that require going to one and I am not sure if I should not go to them or not since all this worry started after I had made these plans. I just need advice on what to do. I never struggled with gluttony or overeating, I know my limits. The idol is more an idol of the heart, thinking that food will bring me satisfaction when it wont. I also have never fasted before so I have no idea where to start.

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟89,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I pray you have peace. I think God designed us to enjoy eating. If you think it is an idol though perhaps limit your first fast to something not too enjoyable, like bread and water? Here is a free booklet that was worthwhile to me. Fasting can be powerful, as it reduces the flesh and highlights the spirit. If you direct your fast for a particular person the get saved or delivered, I have seen it work. I would just put it in your mind to fast a day and then let God take it from there. If you feel an urgency though it is good to even skip a meal right away and pray. God Bless! Kenneth E. Hagin - A Common Sense Guide to Fasting.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟51,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

I have been having severe anxiety over wether or not I need to fast. Recently I felt like I love food too much. Specifically in regards to going out to eat or ordering out. I sometimes have felt like food is something I really desire and something that I also look forward to, to bring me satisfaction which I know is a sin and is wrong. I repented of my idolatry and I am trying to re-frame my mind around food being what it is, just food. However, I am not sure if God is calling me to fast or not. I feel like I am not fully repenting if I am not fasting. I was thinking about fasting from restaurants but I have two events coming up that require going to one and I am not sure if I should not go to them or not since all this worry started after I had made these plans. I just need advice on what to do. I never struggled with gluttony or overeating, I know my limits. The idol is more an idol of the heart, thinking that food will bring me satisfaction when it wont. I also have never fasted before so I have no idea where to start.
Hey Saving Hope,

What timing! I'm on Day 2 of my first prayer and fast, and it's awesome, many more benefits than just overcoming eating for comfort - #1 being drawing closer to God, discerning His will, and intercessory prayer for others, ect.

Here's a link to a great study about biblical fasting (by David Diga Hernandez of Spirit Church), which I have faith will confirm to you that it is indeed Him calling you to it.

Also, I learned that there are different kinds of fasting, not just from food but other dependences and neccessities in our lives, too. I didn't realize that I was or had already done some of them without knowing I was fasting! What joy to discover!

He also segues into, about 3/4 of the way thru the vid, insight about the Holy Spirit, Jesus' provision of neccessities despite our unneccessary worries, living in faith rather than living in fear, God's faithfulness to His promises (100%!), placing God's priorities over our priorities, and participating in growing His Kingdom.

Hope this blesses you!

Joseph

Upvote 0