✟1,383,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 1:1-7 ESV

“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
“To Timothy, my true child in the faith:
“Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
“As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.”

This is a letter that the apostle Paul wrote to Timothy who was a fellow laborer in the work of the Lord. Not everything in this letter is going to specifically apply to our lives because this was a specific letter to just one person, with particular instructions, in some cases, for him alone. But, with all Scripture, there are lessons that we can learn from this to apply to our lives, especially when the biblical principles may be applied more broadly.

Now, we are not all in the same position as Timothy. We are not all in positions of authority over other people to where we can charge anyone to do or to not do anything. Nonetheless, we can all teach or share these biblical principles with others. For I can say to you, although I have no authority over you, that you must not teach any different doctrine other than the one that Jesus taught and that his NT apostles taught, in context.

So, what did Jesus teach? He taught that if anyone would come after him that he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and to self), and follow (obey) him. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin and for self, we will lose them for eternity. But if for the sake of Jesus we deny self, die daily to sin, and follow him in obedience, then we have the hope of eternal life with God (see Luke 9:23-26; cf. Romans 6:1-23).

And what were his instructions to the apostle Paul when he was still Saul? Jesus sent him to open (spiritually) blinded eyes, and to turn them from darkness (sin, wickedness, rebellion against God) to light (Jesus, truth, the gospel, righteousness), and from the power (and control) of Satan (over their lives) to God (to follow him with their lives in obedience to his commands), that they might receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those sanctified by faith in Jesus Christ (see Acts 26:18; Romans 6:1-23).

For, we who believe in Jesus Christ with God-given and God-persuaded faith are those who have been crucified and buried with Christ in death to sin, and who have been raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but now as slaves to God and to his righteousness. Thus, we are not to let sin continue to reign in our mortal bodies, to make us obey its passions. For if sin is what we obey, it will lead to death. But if obedience is what we obey, it will lead to righteousness, and its end is eternal life (see Romans 6:1-23; cf. Ephesians 4:17-24; Titus 2:11-14; Galatians 5:16-21).

And then we read in Titus 2:11-14 that the grace of God, which is bringing us salvation, trains us to renounce (say “No” to) ungodliness and fleshly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For Jesus Christ gave himself up for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works (cf. Ephesians 2:10; Ephesians 4:17-24).

And what else did Jesus teach? He said that not everyone who says to him, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one DOING the will of God the Father who is in heaven. For many will stand before him on that day professing him as Lord, and claiming all that they did in his name, but he is going to say to them, “I never knew you. Depart from me you workers of lawlessness,” for they refused to obey the Lord’s commands (see Matthew 7:21-23; cf. 1 John 1:5-10; 1 John 2:3-6; 1 John 3:4-10).

But what is the gospel message that is permeating the American church today? It is that we can “believe” (not usually biblically defined) in Jesus Christ, have all our sins forgiven (past, present, and future), be on our way to heaven (guaranteed), and be confident that nothing can take that away from us, but while we continue in deliberate and habitual sin against our Lord. But the Scriptures teach that if sin is what we practice, and if righteousness and obedience to God are not our practice, that we will not inherit eternal life with God.

[Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-11; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Co 10:1-22; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; 1 Pet 1:17-21; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

So, if you are being convinced that your sins no longer matter to God once you “believe” in Jesus, and that your sins will not be charged against you, so you continue in deliberate and habitual sin against God, then please read through these passages of Scripture referenced above, for that is not the gospel that Jesus and his NT apostles taught. That is a “different gospel” from what they taught, and it is a false gospel, and if that is the gospel you follow, it will end for you just the way that these Scriptures describe. So…

Seek the Lord

An Original Work / July 20, 2012
Based off Isaiah 55

“Come to Me all you who thirst; come to waters.
Listen to Me, and eat what’s good today,
And your soul will delight in richest of fare.
Give ear to Me, and you will live.
I have made an eternal covenant with you.
Wash in the blood of the Lamb.”

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him.
Let the wicked forsake his way, in truth.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will receive mercy.
Freely, God pardons him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,”
declares the Lord, our God.

“My word that goes out of My mouth is truthful.
It will not return to Me unfulfilled.
My word will accomplish all that I desire,
And achieve the goal I intend.
You will go in joy and be led forth in peace.
The mountains will burst into song… before you,
And all of the trees clap their hands.”