Does ignorance of evolution mean you are an ignorant person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As both a Christian and as a scientist and with respect to creation I believe that the first four words in the Bible are the truest ---- Genesis 1:1"In the beginning God ...... " All the evidence is that what happened after that is well explained by evolution.

Then you don't think God made man, then and there, from the dust of the earth, done deal, just the way he remains today? You know, like the bible claims? Are you one of those that are too "smart" to believe the word of God as it's written? You are beyond on that, and you understandings are higher and what should be made fact over the bible?

As to what you believe...that's completely up to you, but can you give me some explanation of how you get evolution from scripture, or is all scripture after the "In the beginning God" not of concern for you? Or do you cherry pick what it to be believed and where you can do better than the bible?

How bout "In the beginning, God" and lets forget all about Jesus, and make up whatever else we choose to follow the term "God"? Isn't that basically what you're doing at your own discrepancy? See what I'm getting at? How do you draw the line between biblical and traditions of man? Where do you stop adding your own and go back to what's written? Or do you just sort of throw it all together, and create a version of the bible that suits you and pretend it's still Christianity? A version based on theories, and whatever ideas you personally want to throw in there, like how it should all be arranged and what part of the bible is to be believed and what is not?

"In the beginning God", might sound to you/others like a deep, and mighty statement, but all you're doing is cutting out the part of the bible you choose to substituent with man made ideas that aren't even proven...not much depth in that?

Actually, if I were doing that, I doubt I'd tell anyone, yet you seem not only proud of that way of thinking but you seem to think it's smart on top of that?

So, no, I personally won't be stopping at, "In the beginning, God".

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

I'm assuming that's a verse you tossed, or reworked.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Then you don't think God made man, then and there, from the dust of the earth, done deal, just the way he remains today? You know, like the bible claims? Are you one of those that are too "smart" to believe the word of God as it's written? You are beyond on that, and you understandings are higher and what should be made fact over the bible?

As to what you believe...that's completely up to you, but can you give me some explanation of how you get evolution from scripture, or is all scripture after the "In the beginning God" not of concern for you? Or do you cherry pick what it to be believed and where you can do better than the bible?

How bout "In the beginning, God" and lets forget all about Jesus, and make up whatever else we choose to follow the term "God"? Isn't that basically what you're doing at your own discrepancy? See what I'm getting at? How do you draw the line between biblical and traditions of man? Where do you stop adding your own and go back to what's written? Or do you just sort of throw it all together, and create a version of the bible that suits you and pretend it's still Christianity? A version based on theories, and whatever ideas you personally want to throw in there, like how it should all be arranged and what part of the bible is to be believed and what is not?

"In the beginning God", might sound to you/others like a deep, and mighty statement, but all you're doing is cutting out the part of the bible you choose to substituent with man made ideas that aren't even proven...not much depth in that?

Actually, if I were doing that, I doubt I'd tell anyone, yet you seem not only proud of that way of thinking but you seem to think it's smart on top of that?

So, no, I personally won't be stopping at, "In the beginning, God".

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

I'm assuming that's a verse you tossed, or reworked.
Do you really think that the theory of evolution is the only reason not to believe that Genesis is 100% accurate literal history? It's not even at the top of the list. And why should it cause us to
"forget all about Jesus?"

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you really think that the theory of evolution is the only reason not to believe that Genesis is 100% accurate literal history? It's not even at the top of the list.

I didn't say nor indicate, one way or another. It's of no concern to me at the moment.

And why should it cause us to "forget all about Jesus?"

I think you missed the point...while you all are at tossing parts of the bible, why not toss the Jesus part too, or any other part you choose to for that matter?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think you missed the point...while you all are at tossing parts of the bible, why not toss the Jesus part too, or any other part you choose to for that matter?
Who is "tossing parts of the Bible?" The Bible is, in its entirety, the inspired Word of God. We have no business tossing any of it out.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you really think that the theory of evolution is the only reason not to believe that Genesis is 100% accurate literal history? It's not even at the top of the list. And why should it cause us to
"forget all about Jesus?"

no, because the real reason is the devil who has deluded millions into believing that the Truth of the Word of God, is not that. He is the original deceiver who deceived Adam and Eve, with his LIE, "hath God said", and continues to deceive, by making people believe that the Bible is not Infallible and Inerrant, that that it cannot fully be trusted.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who is "tossing parts of the Bible?" The Bible is, in its entirety, the inspired Word of God. We have no business tossing any of it out.

Where do you get evolution from over Creation? Or, a better question, since you believe it's all the inspired word of God, or something, because you don't sound like you know what you believe, but for the sake of argument, if you do believe all the bible is the inspired word of God, then what part of it so much as suggests evolution?

And didn't you not, 2 posts back, just say this?:

Do you really think that the theory of evolution is the only reason not to believe that Genesis is 100% accurate literal history?

That's confusing as all get out, Dude. Do you believe Genesis is literally accurate or not?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I confess ignorance of many things, but I don't consider myself an ignorant person. Does belief in creation deem a person as 'ignorant'?
Certainly not, Evolution is a scientific theory and ultimately this theory will never be proven. Though the theory of Evolution is supported by an enormous field of evidence.

You can be ignorant of a scientific theory, but that does not make you an ignorant person. There are many scientific theories that are next to impossible to understand, for example; String theory proposes that there are multiple universes. I don't think I will ever understand String theory, it is the current popular theory of everything, the grand answer.

I believe in creation also but I am not a strict fundamentalist. I see Genesis as theological overview of everything. Genesis is not an exact scientific or historical text. Genesis especially in the early chapters is an approximation, the events occurred but not in the specified time frame.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Certainly not, Evolution is a scientific theory and ultimately this theory will never be proven. Though the theory of Evolution is supported by an enormous field of evidence.

You can be ignorant of a scientific theory, but that does not make you an ignorant person. There are many scientific theories that are next to impossible to understand, for example; String theory proposes that there are multiple universes. I don't think I will ever understand String theory, it is the current popular theory of everything, the grand answer.

I believe in creation also but I am not a strict fundamentalist. I see Genesis as theological overview of everything. Genesis is not an exact scientific or historical text. Genesis especially in the early chapters is an approximation, the events occurred but not in the specified time frame.

"Genesis is not an exact scientific or historical text"? so Genesis is not the Infallible, Inerrant Perfect Word of God, and probably a myth?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Where do you get evolution from over Creation? Or, a better question, since you believe it's all the inspired word of God, or something, because you don't sound like you know what you believe, but for the sake of argument, if you do believe all the bible is the inspired word of God, then what part of it so much as suggests evolution?
None of it. The Bible does not address the topic in any way. The theory of evolution is merely a scientific theory, subject to being overturned at any time. The Bible is concerned with higher truths.

And didn't you not, 2 posts back, just say this?:

That's confusing as all get out, Dude. Do you believe Genesis is literally accurate or not?
No. I don't think that's why God inspired those stories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"Genesis is not an exact scientific or historical text"? so Genesis is not the Infallible, Inerrant Perfect Word of God, and probably a myth?
A divinely inspired myth, which is worth taking seriously. ;)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You interpret the bible, correct?

Everyone without exception has an interpretation of the Bible. It is well to remember that the Bible itself is also an interpretation.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of it. The Bible does not address the topic in any way. The theory of evolution is merely a scientific theory, subject to being overturned at any time. The Bible is concerned with higher truths.

No. I don't think that's why God inspired those stories.

OK, if you think the bible is just stories or you can pick out whatever part you choose and call them stories, that's certainly up to you, but that pretty much ends my ability to take you seriously in some areas. Just like Jack, what a bizarre outlook of the Bible.

I'm reminded of the old Burger King commercial/logo..."Have It Your Way"

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I take the Bible very seriously. I approach the Bible like a prospector would approach his claim. I am prepared to spend a lot of time and effort searching for the shining nuggets of wisdom and insight but I am also prepared to have to shift a lot of rubble in order to find them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
OK, if you think the bible is just stories or you can pick out whatever part you choose and call them stories, that's certainly up to you, but that pretty much ends my ability to take you seriously in some areas. Just like Jack, what a bizarre outlook of the Bible.

I'm reminded of the old Burger King commercial/logo..."Have It Your Way"
Do you think it's just personal choice? Is that the way you do it? Do the teachings of your church have nothing to do with what you believe about the Bible?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,152,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think that it is at all possible that the word 'Day/Yom' is not a 24 hr. period of time but a longer period of time, an 'age'?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I confess ignorance of many things, but I don't consider myself an ignorant person. Does belief in creation deem a person as 'ignorant'?

Everyone has their specialties.
My specialty is never considering anyone ignorant.
I've seen children die at birth and refuse to disregard the less schooled.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.