• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does anyone on here suffer from Fibromyalgia?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have it. I recently started Cymbalta and that is helping a lot! I stopped using my cane and can even go for short easy hikes now.
That is really encouraging. I have been taking Cymbalta for many years now and it has really helped me, too.

Upvote 0

Teresa W.

May 22, 2024
Harpers Ferry
✟1,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ironically, I was given Cymbalta for depression. The Dr. told me it could help with my fibromyalgia too. Why couldn't they have given this to me years ago?! Anyway, I have it now. Cymbalta also helped tremendously with my anxiety, but also ironically, it doesn't do much for my depression. Go figure.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ironically, I was given Cymbalta for depression. The Dr. told me it could help with my fibromyalgia too. Why couldn't they have given this to me years ago?! Anyway, I have it now. Cymbalta also helped tremendously with my anxiety, but also ironically, it doesn't do much for my depression. Go figure.
Curiously, Cymbalta was intended to treat depression, of which fibromyalgia was considered to be a subset because patients with fibromyalgia were depressed (go figure). They discovered in the process that although Cymbalta actually is not at all effective in treating depression, it is effective with fibromyalgia. However, I discovered that there is a stigma associated with Cymbalta. Because it is considered to be a treatment for mental illness (depression) anyone who takes it is branded as being mentally ill (i. e. an old-fashioned lunatic).

Upvote 0

Teresa W.

May 22, 2024
Harpers Ferry
✟1,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Curiously, Cymbalta was intended to treat depression, of which fibromyalgia was considered to be a subset because patients with fibromyalgia were depressed (go figure). They discovered in the process that although Cymbalta actually is not at all effective in treating depression, it is effective with fibromyalgia. However, I discovered that there is a stigma associated with Cymbalta. Because it is considered to be a treatment for mental illness (depression) anyone who takes it is branded as being mentally ill (i. e. an old-fashioned lunatic).
Very interesting indeed. I've tried so many anti-depressants that they're running out of meds for me to try. Before Cymbalta they had me try an anti-psychotic called Abilify. Never before have I had so many side effects with a single med. I was miserable, then they titrated me down off it ,and was ever MORE miserable from the withdrawal effects. Never again!

I don't care about stigma, I care about getting better. The more I study the Bible and pray, the more I talk with my Christian therapist, the more I get involved with church, the more friends I make, the less I am depressed. That's what I'm concentrating on now.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Very interesting indeed. I've tried so many anti-depressants that they're running out of meds for me to try. Before Cymbalta they had me try an anti-psychotic called Abilify. Never before have I had so many side effects with a single med. I was miserable, then they titrated me down off it ,and was ever MORE miserable from the withdrawal effects. Never again!

I don't care about stigma, I care about getting better. The more I study the Bible and pray, the more I talk with my Christian therapist, the more I get involved with church, the more friends I make, the less I am depressed. That's what I'm concentrating on now.
That is an excellent plan. Other than the therapist, that is precisely what I have been doing.

I had a sister-in-law who was truly amazing. I discovered that she told people the most titillating stories about me that were completely bizarre. After living through her gossip, having a stigma attached to me because of Cymbalta was totally meaningless for me.

I have had some terrible side effects from meds and can sympathize with you on that.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟200,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had it, try body meditation relaxing

"

Exercise II​

Heaviness and Warmth. Just imagine that your feet and legs are getting heavier and heavier and warmer and warmer. It's almost as if you are wearing some lead boots. Feet and legs, heavy and warm, heavy and warm. Now, imagine your stomach and the whole central portion of your body getting warm. . . warm and relaxed. My forehead is cool. . . cool. . . relaxed and cool. And my breathing is regular. . . easy and regular. Just feel the warm and heaviness spread all over the body. (Arouse gently.)"

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I had it, try body meditation relaxing

"

Exercise II​

Heaviness and Warmth. Just imagine that your feet and legs are getting heavier and heavier and warmer and warmer. It's almost as if you are wearing some lead boots. Feet and legs, heavy and warm, heavy and warm. Now, imagine your stomach and the whole central portion of your body getting warm. . . warm and relaxed. My forehead is cool. . . cool. . . relaxed and cool. And my breathing is regular. . . easy and regular. Just feel the warm and heaviness spread all over the body. (Arouse gently.)"
If you had it and recovered from it, then you never had it in the first place. You probably suffered from a myofascial pain syndrome, which, although it has the extreme pain of fibromyalgia, passes away in time - sometimes a matter of weeks and sometimes months, but it does go away. Fibromyalgia does not.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟200,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you had it and recovered from it, then you never had it in the first place. You probably suffered from a myofascial pain syndrome, which, although it has the extreme pain of fibromyalgia, passes away in time - sometimes a matter of weeks and sometimes months, but it does go away. Fibromyalgia does not.
I had it

Upvote 0