• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Did Pope Francis Just Insinuate President Trump Is a Nazi

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
Northern California
✟453,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't feel my imagination is running away with me , why would Pope Francis make the statement that he wants to wait and see with President Trump then segue into speaking about Adolf Hitler and populist leaders. he has done this before but never seems to want to hold leaders of China or other non-western nations to the same standard. I am really disappointed in his not so subtle insinuations.

Read for yourself, I would like to hear your opinions.

Pope: I'll judge Trump after we see what he does

That may not have been what the Pope said/meant. I've read elsewhere that El Pais has really lost it's journalistic integrity in recent years.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
but never seems to want to hold leaders of China or other non-western nations to the same standard
I feel very strongly about human rights abuses in China, by the way. I too, would like to see Francis comment on that. Prisoners getting unscheduled taps on the shoulder "hey mate, we need your kidney, come with us." And then the Chinese government actually getting paid instead of the organ donors. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

saulfactuspaul

Jan 21, 2017
australia
✟21,801.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do all young people dismiss folks with Parkinson's disease so readily? If so, I'd expect nothing good for the future. I find your dismissal of him as ageist and a slight to anybody with a chronic disease or a disability.

He was intellectually vibrant to his last days, although difficult to understand as most Parkinson's patients are towards the end of the disease. He was one of the most significant philosophers of the last half of the 20th centuries and into the 21st century. He radically changed the lives of tens of thousands of young people, sending many of them on a trajectory to become priests and nuns. Informed Christians still read his encyclicals to great benefit. Including the last one when he was quite sick. See 'Ecclesia de Eucharistia' at Ecclesia de Eucharistia (17 April 2003) | John Paul II

If pope Francis is to your liking, run with it. But I could easily assemble a list of quotes from Francis, Benedict, and John Paul and watch you misattribute most of the quotes.

Actually there is a quiz asking you to differentiate quotes from Francis and Benedict. Let me know how you do.
Who Said It: Pope Benedict Or Pope Francis

Well me misattributing the quotes would be nothing for you to brag about,I have a social life so can't digest every word that has been spoken by the last three popes.Where are these tens of thousands of inspired priests and nuns i am not saying they don't exist but I'm sure there has been a steady decline. Memorising quotes shouldn't give people the right to act holier than thou. You are to sensitive, I lived with a relative 89 years of age who has Parkinsons so I'm sure i know a lot more about it than you do thank you.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟207,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did anyone bother to read the Pope's actual words rather than what Fox News says ?

The same is happening in CAF.

Pope Francis never compared Donald Trump to Hitler, lets get that straight up front.

Pope Francis, we after talk about the US election results, spoke about populism in Europe and it was how Hitler came into power. He never mentioned Donald Trump in his words on this issue.

Jim

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Apparently there were phrases from Hitler ' political speeches in Trump's inaugural speech, so Pope Francis was very astute to make this observation.

I'm guessing that this was true to the extent that Trump "plagiarized from The Dark Knight Rises."

That is, not at all, except in the minds of people who are addled when thinking about Trump.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟316,501.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
That may not have been what the Pope said/meant. I've read elsewhere that El Pais has really lost it's journalistic integrity in recent years.

Ahh, "he didn't mean it like that."
"He fell victim to some mean journalists", "quoted out of context yet again".

How this type of defence of his scandals brings me back...
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟791,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ahh, "he didn't mean it like that."
"He fell victim to some mean journalists", "quoted out of context yet again".

How this type of defence of his scandals brings me back...
:rolleyes:

Actually yes. Like I said over 3000 almost 4000 words and 14 questions divide the two statements. This is people reporting on the Church poorly. The only difference is in the lack of trust for the Pope era...even Catholics jump on him.

But if you look, the question he is answering when he talks about Hitler...the interviewer says about Populism and how Trump is only one example but goes on to ask about Europe and how it has often worked there.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟791,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I really do think the news just went for shortened and soundbite journalism. Like usual. People should not have to go levels deep looking for sources. Its just sad. And you should see the one translation on the Vatican Radio site where the report says Paul VI is Pope Francis successor. I think they fixed it late last night.

• Agree
Reactions: Jared R
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,542.00
Faith
Christian
Actually yes. Like I said over 3000 almost 4000 words and 14 questions divide the two statements. This is people reporting on the Church poorly. The only difference is in the lack of trust for the Pope era...even Catholics jump on him.

But if you look, the question he is answering when he talks about Hitler...the interviewer says about Populism and how Trump is only one example but goes on to ask about Europe and how it has often worked there.

But where are the examples of these "populist" Nazi like leaders?

There are dozens of examples of Islamic countries and their leadership that embody the idea of what it means to be facist

Countries like China and North Korea certainly are countries who's leaders have horrifically treated their populace.

But it does no one any good to create false narratives designed for political expediency.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟791,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But where are the examples of these "populist" Nazi like leaders?

There are dozens of examples of Islamic countries and their leadership that embody the idea of what it means to be facist

Countries like China and North Korea certainly are countries who's leaders have horrifically treated their populace.

But it does no one any good to create false narratives designed for political expediency.

You mean populist leaders in Europe with a neo-nazi vibe?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟791,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes and in the US.

For Europe there are a few. Without digging examples would be the Golden Dawn party in Greece that is using populism to push a nazi like agenda. There are serious issues of Populism and racism in Hungary. And issues with Norbert Hofer in Austria.

The Pope also answered the question by focusing on the difference in populism historically in Europe, America and the Global South. The question was far later in the interview than the fox article implied and less about Trump and more about populism gone wrong in general.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,170,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well me misattributing the quotes would be nothing for you to brag about,
I'm not bragging. Just noting that quite a few people who think Francis is the bee's knees in comparison to John Paul and Benedict would usually not be able to attribute quotes to the one who actually said them. You would find, if you bothered, that Benedict said Francisey things and Francis says Benedicty things quite often.
I have a social life so can't digest every word that has been spoken by the last three popes.
You were the one who made a comparison between Francis and his two immediate predecessors. So I expected that you might have an actual basis for your comparison.
Where are these tens of thousands of inspired priests and nuns i am not saying they don't exist but I'm sure there has been a steady decline.
My parish has two such priests and four such nuns. Depends on where you are looking, I guess.
Memorising quotes shouldn't give people the right to act holier than thou.
It's not about memorizing quotes, but having a clue at least who might have said them before judging them.
You are to[o] sensitive,
Maybe, but you seem insensitive to the old and disabled.
I lived with a relative 89 years of age who has Parkinsons so I'm sure i know a lot more about it than you do thank you.
You are welcome. I took care of my Father with Parkinson's disease and watched his long decline and eventual death. I learned how to decode his communication when his body failed him more and more. Now I have a tremor that is not definitively diagnosed.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟791,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the US Populism have often taken the form of Anti-Catholic Nativism. And extreme groups latch onto the movement to push. I don't think Trump is a racist and I would 100 percent argue he is not an anti-Semite. But I think some of those groups are using his momentum. And I hope they get smacked down as they try to gain legitimacy. I would bet that any anti-jewish group has a short life on his side. No matter what the press says. But the Pope was talking in a much broader way and, I think, was misrepresented in most stories.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,542.00
Faith
Christian
In the US Populism have often taken the form of Anti-Catholic Nativism. And extreme groups latch onto the movement to push. I don't think Trump is a racist and I would 100 percent argue he is not an anti-Semite. But I think some of those groups are using his momentum. And I hope they get smacked down as they try to gain legitimacy. I would bet that any anti-jewish group has a short life on his side. No matter what the press says. But the Pope was talking in a much broader way and, I think, was misrepresented in most stories.

Then they will be quite upset when they find out that Trumps son in law is an Orthodox Jew and is his closest confidante and holds a prominent position in the Administration.

Jared Kushner

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟791,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Then they will be quite upset when they find out that Trumps son in law is an Orthodox Jew and is his closest confidante and holds a prominent position in the Administration.

Jared Kushner

Yep. Jared and Ivanka practice their faith too. They had to get special permission to ride in a car for safety reasons after sundown inauguration night. I did not vote for Trump, I went American Solidarity Party. But he is not an Anti Semite.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

saulfactuspaul

Jan 21, 2017
australia
✟21,801.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not bragging. Just noting that quite a few people who think Francis is the bee's knees in comparison to John Paul and Benedict would usually not be able to attribute quotes to the one who actually said them. You would find, if you bothered, that Benedict said Francisey things and Francis says Benedicty things quite often.

You were the one who made a comparison between Francis and his two immediate predecessors. So I expected that you might have an actual basis for your comparison.

My parish has two such priests and four such nuns. Depends on where you are looking, I guess.
It's not about memorizing quotes, but having a clue at least who might have said them before judging them.
Maybe, but you seem insensitive to the old and disabled.

You are welcome. I took care of my Father with Parkinson's disease and watched his long decline and eventual death. I learned how to decode his communication when his body failed him more and more. Now I have a tremor that is not definitively diagnosed.

My grandmother was fortunate to of got the disease later in life, having the disease at the age of 50 would be much more horrible. She never really accepted she had parkinsons, her mentality has always been to die with her boots on.It's a horrible illness

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,170,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's a horrible illness
It takes a lot of courage to face it. That's why pope John Paul was such a wonderful example, struggling on and contributing almost to the end of his life, even as he looked awkward. He died with his boots on.

Upvote 0