✟94,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 2:

9 When the master of the feast tasted the water now become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants [G1249] who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom.
Strong's Greek: 1249. διάκονος (diakonos) — 29 Occurrences

The English word "deacon" came from G1249.

BDAG διάκονος:

gener. one who is busy with someth. in a manner that is of assistance to someone
A G1249-servant worked for a boss for a specific service/task. There was a more common word G1401 δοῦλος (126 occurrences) that meant servant or slave

NIV, 1 Tim 3:

8 In the same way, deacons [G1249]
i.e., male and female deacons/servants who were tasked by a local church for its service

are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons [G1247].
11 In the same way, the women
i.e., female deacons

are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
12 A deacon [G1249]
i.e., a male deacon

must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well. 13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
The term could be applied to male or female. BDAG διάκονος:

① one who serves as an intermediary in a transaction, agent, intermediary, courier (cp. Jos., Ant. 1, 298 of Rachel who brought Jacob to Laban
② one who gets someth. done, at the behest of a superior, assistant to someone (the context determines whether the term, with or without the article ὁ, οἱ is used inclusively of women or exclusively)
When Paul was alive, did he allow a woman to be a dG1249-deacon?

I think so. NIV, Romans 16:

1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon [G1249] of the church in Cenchreae.
See also Did Paul allow a woman to be an elder?.

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟75,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly, but we have to realise that the word 'diakonos' was just a plain Greek word meaning 'servant' in those days that also non-believers would use and know, without necessarily referring to a recognised office. So in Romans 16:1 Paul could very well simply be saying Phoebe was serving the church in Cenchreae; i.e. helping out, assisting others, handing out food, etc.. The verse does not necessarily refer to Phoebe holding the office of 'deacon' (as in a church organisation).

Nowadays we may overlook that difference because in this day and age the term 'deacon' is exclusively used by Christians to refer to a recognised office; no one uses this term in daily life in non-church circles anymore.

Having said that, I woudn't rule out the possibility Paul might allow a woman to hold such an appointed office role as long as she would not hold authority over or teach men. I'm just not sure.

If a women is responsible for childcare at a church - she could be called the childcare deacon/servant, if another counts the weekly offering she could be called the gifts collection deacon/servant. Another might make perfect church cappuccino's and might be a recognised coffee deacon/servant. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0