Catholic bishops say abortion can ‘never be a fundamental right’ ahead of EU charter vote

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,777,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic bishops in the European Union on Tuesday reiterated that a right to abortion can never be a “fundamental” right ahead of a Thursday vote related to the insertion of a “right to abortion” in the European Union’s Charter of Fundamental Rights.

A draft resolution set to be voted on April 11 would amend the EU’s charter, which first came into force in 2009, to include the assertion that “everyone has the right to bodily autonomy, to free, informed, full, and universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights, and to all related health care services without discrimination, including access to safe and legal abortion.”

The Commission of the Bishops’ Conferences of the European Union (COMECE), based in Brussels and made up of bishops delegated by the bishops’ conferences of the more than two dozen member states of the European Union, speaks frequently in support of Catholic values in Europe, particularly against abortion and for the protection of persecuted Christians in other countries.

“The promotion of women and their rights is not related to the promotion of abortion,” COMECE said in an April 9 statement.

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟157,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Catholic bishops in the European Union on Tuesday reiterated that a right to abortion can never be a “fundamental” right ahead of a Thursday vote related to the insertion of a “right to abortion” in the European Union’s Charter of Fundamental Rights.

A draft resolution set to be voted on April 11 would amend the EU’s charter, which first came into force in 2009, to include the assertion that “everyone has the right to bodily autonomy, to free, informed, full, and universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights, and to all related health care services without discrimination, including access to safe and legal abortion.”

The Commission of the Bishops’ Conferences of the European Union (COMECE), based in Brussels and made up of bishops delegated by the bishops’ conferences of the more than two dozen member states of the European Union, speaks frequently in support of Catholic values in Europe, particularly against abortion and for the protection of persecuted Christians in other countries.

“The promotion of women and their rights is not related to the promotion of abortion,” COMECE said in an April 9 statement.

Continued below.
We will have to see what April 11th brings. I will be ready to summarize the April 11th news, just as I did for the Vatican human rights document released on April 8th. I am pro-life, unless both mother and unborn are at risk of dying. If an abortion can prevent two lives from passing away, and save one life, then that might happen. In my opinion, scientists should work on artificial wombs, so a fetus can be transferred into a mechanical womb.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,777,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We will have to see what April 11th brings. I will be ready to summarize the April 11th news, just as I did for the Vatican human rights document released on April 8th. I am pro-life, unless both mother and unborn are at risk of dying. If an abortion can prevent two lives from passing away, and save one life, then that might happen. In my opinion, scientists should work on artificial wombs, so a fetus can be transferred into a mechanical womb.
When a mother is at risk of dying, which is extremely rare. It’s not considered abortion but a life saving procedure. Where both are trying to be saved but not purposely exterminated.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟157,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When a mother is at risk of dying, which is extremely rare. It’s not considered abortion but a life saving procedure. Where both are trying to be saved but not purposely exterminated.
Agreed. Some politicians in the US want to ban all abortions, even those that prevent both from dying. So, a soft ban on abortions would make more sense. We will have to see what the EU does, if a ban will happen, and if the ban will allow exceptions.

Maybe the law could be written like this below.

Abortions are prohibited, except in cases where the following conditions are met:
a) The life or health of the mother is at risk.
b) The pregnancy resulted from rape or incest and the mother is at risk for health complications.

Upvote 0

DJWhalen

Do your best and let God do the rest.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟18,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I hope they are pro-life

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0