• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Biden unveils radical plan to overhaul Supreme Court — but one major question throws a wrench in his narrative

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

One major question
While Biden's first two proposals will likely never become law, that Biden is choosing this moment to demand Supreme Court reform raises a major question.

Would Biden and Democrats be demanding change if the Supreme Court had ruled the way they wanted on abortion, presidential immunity, executive-branch power, student-loan forgiveness, the Second Amendment, and a host of additional issues?

The answer to that question likely reveals the motive for their demands.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,544,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to see an amendment for an "elected official code of conduct" over all three branches, same rules for them all.

I could agree to a mandatory retirement age for all three branches as well, but not a limit of term for the Supreme Court.

Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟302,114.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to see an amendment for an "elected official code of conduct" over all three branches, same rules for them all.

I could agree to a mandatory retirement age for all three branches as well, but not a limit of term for the Supreme Court.

The house and senate have an official code of conduct and so does the executive branch.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

E pluribus unum
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟338,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

One major question
While Biden's first two proposals will likely never become law, that Biden is choosing this moment to demand Supreme Court reform raises a major question.

Would Biden and Democrats be demanding change if the Supreme Court had ruled the way they wanted on abortion, presidential immunity, executive-branch power, student-loan forgiveness, the Second Amendment, and a host of additional issues?

The three proposals are:

1. Enforcable ethics reform
2. Term limits (18 years)
3. Ending presidential criminal immunity

I don't know which of these are "first", but, no it is clear that if the SC was sane and didn't find total criminal immunity for presidents hidden in the text of the Constitution somewhere between the words that indicate that the Senate can't apply criminal penalties (and only a criminal court could) no one would need to ask for a legal rejection of that doctrine.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟604,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

One major question

Terms limits for SCOTUS have been kicked around as an idea for a while now if, for no other reason, then to try to mute some of the heat and incentives surrounding nominations. Sure, that may have taken on some new salience in light of the last few years, but it's not a new idea. The ethics rules weren't perceived as needed until it came out that a few judges, with one in particular, had been doing things that would get normal justices in trouble.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,544,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know which of these are "first", but, no it is clear that if the SC was sane and didn't find total criminal immunity for presidents hidden in the text of the Constitution somewhere between the words that indicate that the Senate can't apply criminal penalties (and only a criminal court could) no one would need to ask for a legal rejection of that doctrine.
I'm not sure I understood what you said. Too many negatives.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,544,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Terms limits for SCOTUS have been kicked around as an idea for a while now if, for no other reason, then to try to mute some of the heat and incentives surrounding nominations. Sure, that may have taken on some new salience in light of the last few years, but it's not a new idea. The ethics rules weren't perceived as needed until it came out that a few judges, with one in particular, had been doing things that would get normal justices in trouble.
I'd rather see age limits than term limits.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

One major question

This would be the ideal Supreme Court in my opinion:

Part 1:
3 Democrats

3 Independents
3 Republicans

Part 2:
1̶2̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶1̶8̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶s̶.̶
Edited: 75 year age limit, no term limit

Part 3:
Follow a code of professional conduct, and have justices stay off of social media, and not endorse any political candidate over another.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,544,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This would be the ideal Supreme Court in my opinion:

Part 1:
3 Democrats

3 Independents
3 Republicans

Part 2:
12 or 18 year term limits.

Part 3:
Follow a code of professional conduct, and have justices stay off of social media, and not endorse any political candidate over another.
Term limits is a bad idea. The entire point of lifetime service was that justices would not have to give any consideration to post-Court employment. With a 12-year term limit, they'd be just as susceptible to lobbies as Congresscritters. I'd be okay with an age limit of 75.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Term limits is a bad idea. The entire point of lifetime service was that justices would not have to give any consideration to post-Court employment. With a 12-year term limit, they'd be just as susceptible to lobbies as Congresscritters. I'd be okay with an age limit of 75.
I do agree with that, and I can change my post.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟292,845.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Likewise that age limit for presidents.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟179,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Amen, brother. 75 year age limit for all politicians, including presidents. :)
Some politicians don’t reach their peak until after 75, like Chuck Grassley when he turned 75, 200 years ago!

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟337,329.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
With a 12-year term limit, they'd be just as susceptible to lobbies as Congresscritters.
They already clearly are. That Clarence fellow has been shown accepting ‘gifts’ for decades.

With term limits they would be able to receive ‘gifts’ for a limited period of time.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟507,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Depends. In this hypothetical, are the far left justices getting millions in undisclosed "gifts"?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,544,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They already clearly are. That Clarence fellow has been shown accepting ‘gifts’ for decades.

With term limits they would be able to receive ‘gifts’ for a limited period of time.
We've had a lot of justices in 250 years. You want to break the system so that it will never work again because it didn't work once.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟337,329.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You want to break the system so that it will never work again because it didn't work once.
'Once' that we know of. And would you fly on a plane with a newly discovered fundamental flaw rendering completely unfit for purpose? Would you trust the future of your nation in said plane?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟604,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We've had a lot of justices in 250 years. You want to break the system so that it will never work again because it didn't work once.
It’s pretty clear that the lack of term limits has been an issue more than once. It raises the stakes for each presidential election, incentivizes older justices to hang on past their prime to game the system, and incentivizes presidents to nominate younger and younger judges.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Conservative activist Leonard Leo says President Biden's efforts to overhaul the Supreme Court may be an effective way to energize his political base, but he should also watch out for less progressive voters being reminded of what's at stake in November.
"It's a good political ploy. It certainly will help to energize a Democrat base that's reeling from a lot of disorder and uncertainty lately," Leo told Fox News Digital. "But ultimately, these are the kinds of proposals that, I think, not likely to be adopted, but if ever adopted, they would really politicize the institution."
The influential fundraiser and legal activist known for his work with the Federalist Society has helped shape the conservative judiciary over several decades. Leo said in an interview Monday that Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the presumptive 2024 Democratic nominee who endorsed the radical overhaul efforts, could just as easily motivate conservatives.
"President Biden putting the Supreme Court into play does have the potential to energize conservatives in the presidential election," he said. "We know from experience that the court issue has always motivated conservatives and Republicans more than it motivated Democrats and liberals. So there's a good chance that by putting this issue in full view, it just allows the Trump campaign and Republican candidates for the Senate and House to talk about the successes we've had with the Constitution and the rule of law, the Supreme Court over the past several years, and that we should want more of the same. So it could potentially backfire."

Upvote 0