Visit site
✟232,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a useless sign because it doesn't point to anything.
It's like putting a roadsign somewhere out in the middle of the desert with a city's name on it, without a distance, or even a direction just "hey it exists out there somewhere"

When God did give indications of something still a ways off, He gave time, like Daniel's 70 weeks.
when there's something an unknown distance away, as in Jesus didn't know when the day or hour would be, only the events would happen in quick succession, He gave signs to watch for, rather than a timeline, and those signs were to be close to the event so that people could watch for them and know what was coming next.
It was "when you see this, know it's close, even at the door"
not "when you see this, generations of people will live and die and something will happen someday"
It points to the times we live in and exposes the harlot Babylon, the love of simplicity and lack of knowledge,

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. (Hosea 4:6)​

Protestantism rejected the law when they secularized society, which enriched the merchants. I leave simplicity and lack of knowledge to its reward. I'm done correcting you.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟210,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It points to the times we live in and exposes the harlot Babylon, the love of simplicity and lack of knowledge,

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. (Hosea 4:6)​

Protestantism rejected the law when they secularized society, which enriched the merchants. I leave simplicity and lack of knowledge to its reward. I'm done correcting you.
That's as useful as saying people sinning is a sign of the end.

and considering how often you attack "protestants" should I be attacking Catholicism? Cause I could, in detail, even in regards to this topic.
Catholics went full on stupid and embraced Greek Dualistic Philosophy and poisoned the Church for centuries and centuries.
They abandoned the Early Church and Apostolic Teachings in favor of some Stoic Philosopher "converts"

Upvote 0

TheCabinetGuy

May 2, 2024
Lewiston
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Or.. maybe the person who was closer to John who wrote Revelation, has a better idea of how it's calculated than you, and you're wrong.
Let's examine what Irenaeus had to say:

Such, then, being the state of the case, and this number being found in all the most approved and ancient copies [of the Apocalypse], and those men who saw John face to face bearing their testimony [to it]; while reason also leads us to conclude that the number of the name of the beast, [if reckoned] according to the Greek mode of calculation by the [value of] the letters contained in it, will amount to six hundred and sixty and six...
So he confirms that 616 was a scribal error, and the real number is 666. And then a warning:

For if these men assume one [number], when this [Antichrist] shall come having another, they will be easily led away by him, as supposing him not to be the expected one, who must be guarded against.
Just because a false prophet or tyrant's name or title doesn't calculate to 666 (or 616) doesn't mean we can relax...

But, knowing the sure number declared by Scripture, that is, six hundred sixty and six, let them await, in the first place, the division of the kingdom into ten; then, in the next place, when these kings are reigning, and beginning to set their affairs in order, and advance their kingdom, [let them learn] to acknowledge that he who shall come claiming the kingdom for himself, and shall terrify those men of whom we have been speaking, having a name containing the aforesaid number, is truly the abomination of desolation.
Already fulfilled. Vicarius Filii Dei.

Jeremiah does not merely point out his sudden coming, but he even indicates the tribe from which he shall come, where he says, “We shall hear the voice of his swift horses from Dan..."
The final Antichrist or False Prophet will most likely be a Jew, and most likely from the tribe of Dan.

It is therefore more certain, and less hazardous, to await the fulfilment of the prophecy, than to be making surmises, and casting about for any names that may present themselves, inasmuch as many names can be found possessing the number mentioned; and the same question will, after all, remain unsolved. For if there are many names found possessing this number...
We should wait until the fulfillment of the prophecy- which was when Rome divides into ten. This has already happened...

And besides this, it is an ancient name, one worthy of credit, of royal dignity, and still further, a name belonging to a tyrant.
Seems like he is hinting that its a title given to this person rather than the name given to him at birth. He then suggests the word "Titan."

Inasmuch, then, as this name “Titan” has so much to recommend it, there is a strong degree of probability, that from among the many [names suggested], we infer, that perchance he who is to come shall be called “Titan.”
Skipping down...

For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian’s reign.
This statement alone disproves Preterism (the idea that Revelation was written before the diaspora in 70AD and only applicable in the 1st century).

But when this Antichrist shall have devastated all things in this world, he will reign for three years and six months, and sit in the temple at Jerusalem...
Indicating that the temple at Jerusalem will be rebuilt, and desecrated by the Antichrist. It's not just the Jews that want the temple rebuilt. I'll give you a hint: IHS

and then the Lord will come from heaven in the clouds, in the glory of the Father, sending this man and those who follow him into the lake of fire; but bringing in for the righteous the times of the kingdom, that is, the rest, the hallowed seventh day...
He confirms that the millenial reign is to be taken literally as a 1000 year sabbath of peace on the earth.

Nowhere in here does it contradict what I teach on this subject. If anything, it confirms some aspects of it. But Irenaeus was only given a few pieces of the puzzle. When I gathered all the pieces togethor, the picture became very clear as what is going to happen in the near future...

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟210,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Let's examine what Irenaeus had to say:

So he confirms that 616 was a scribal error, and the real number is 666. And then a warning:

Just because a false prophet or tyrant's name or title doesn't calculate to 666 (or 616) doesn't mean we can relax...

Already fulfilled. Vicarius Filii Dei.

The final Antichrist or False Prophet will most likely be a Jew, and most likely from the tribe of Dan.

We should wait until the fulfillment of the prophecy- which was when Rome divides into ten. This has already happened...

Seems like he is hinting that its a title given to this person rather than the name given to him at birth. He then suggests the word "Titan."

Skipping down...

This statement alone disproves Preterism (the idea that Revelation was written before the diaspora in 70AD and only applicable in the 1st century).

Indicating that the temple at Jerusalem will be rebuilt, and desecrated by the Antichrist. It's not just the Jews that want the temple rebuilt. I'll give you a hint: IHS

He confirms that the millenial reign is to be taken literally as a 1000 year sabbath of peace on the earth.

Nowhere in here does it contradict what I teach on this subject. If anything, it confirms some aspects of it. But Irenaeus was only given a few pieces of the puzzle. When I gathered all the pieces togethor, the picture became very clear as what is going to happen in the near future...

I'm going to disagree with "has already been fulfilled" for the same reason I dispute partial preterism and historicism in general: Jesus gave signs that would all be seen within 1 generation, 1 lifetime. If they were hundreds or thousands of years ago they are non functional as signs. They don't do anything, but if they're close to His return then those signs actually do something, they wake people up who were asleep an get people anticipating what comes next based on what scripture says.

Hundreds of years? There's no urgency, "it won't even happen in our lifetime anyway"
like to give an extreme example.. scientists will tell you that the sun will one day consume its hydrogen fuel and begin fusing Helium, and become a red giant, in the process completely engulfing the inner planets and utterly destroying them.
Do we worry about the signs that the sun will do that now?

No
because it's billions of years away, we'd be long dead and it is irrelevant
they claim climate change will ruin the planet in 100 years or even shorter, but a lot of people simply don't care because it's beyond their expected lifespan anyway.

Same thing happens with prophecy, if you tell someone the end of the world is soon for 2000 years.. it puts everyone to sleep, but Jesus said there would be signs that one they started, they'd see the end of all prophecy within that lifespan.

Upvote 0