• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

A&E is intolerant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Blind post as I am late to the party:

I have to agree with PreachersWife, I don't approve of silencing opinions that differ from your own. Such ideas need to be discussed openly and brought forward as a discussion point, not simply put aside.
I agree with this sentiment, but we're talking about a situation in which the company is supporting him through a multi-million dollar contract. Would you want to do that for a person who was using your platform to say things that go against your beliefs and harm your reputation?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In a way, yes. All sin is evil in God's eyes, regardless of its severity in ours. The upshot though, is that all of us can be saved from our sins through Jesus. If we deny that certain things are sinful for fear of offending them, we commit the ultimate hate speech. We insulate them from God's love.

Ok. So all people are on the exact same level of moral depravity as people wo have sex with animals? Ok.

So don't act surprised when the television execs don't find that particular rhetoric amicable with their agenda which is to provide entertainment.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟64,868.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I find the comments made by the Duck Dynasty star to be offensive, both the ones about Blacks and Gays. I don't think he should have been suspended for the comments, but that is for A&E to decide -- I often don't agree with the punishments corporations hand out to people they feel "represent" them.

OTOH, A&E has every right to suspend or fire him, if they feel that is in their best interest. Christians who are upset at the suspension have every right to boycott A&E and its sponsors. And this isn't some odd rule that A&E is using to persecute a good Christian. I remember working for a fast food joint, too many years ago, and they actually had a section in their employment papers about things you were not to do (at risk of firing) while wearing company apparel.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I agree, he could've said what he believed in a much more tactful way. Though it doesn't appear that tact is in his vocabulary! Lol!

Maybe this incident will serve as a reminder to others to pick their words a bit more carefully. I don't think anyone should have to hide their opinions, but it does no one any good to be trashy or rude about them.

Ah well, learn and move on :p

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find the comments made by the Duck Dynasty star to be offensive, both the ones about Blacks and Gays. I don't think he should have been suspended for the comments, but that is for A&E to decide -- I often don't agree with the punishments corporations hand out to people they feel "represent" them.

OTOH, A&E has every right to suspend or fire him, if they feel that is in their best interest. Christians who are upset at the suspension have every right to boycott A&E and its sponsors. And this isn't some odd rule that A&E is using to persecute a good Christian. I remember working for a fast food joint, too many years ago, and they actually had a section in their employment papers about things you were not to do (at risk of firing) while wearing company apparel.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok. So all people are on the exact same level of moral depravity as people wo have sex with animals? Ok.

So don't act surprised when the television execs don't find that particular rhetoric amicable with their agenda which is to provide entertainment.

Do all people sin? Yes. Does God say "Well, lying isn't quite as bad as stealing, which isn't quite as bad as murder..." No. He makes no distinction about one sin being worse than another. All sin is repugnant in His perfect sight. We as humans are guilty of moral equivalence, not God.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,549,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have to agree with PreachersWife, I don't approve of silencing opinions that differ from your own. Such ideas need to be discussed openly and brought forward as a discussion point, not simply put aside.

On their own dime...not on mine.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Great post! And as you can see by the picture in my avatar, I agree 100%.
How is A&E against his right to express his faith and his beliefs? They aren't bringing that into question.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,441.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Let me give you a hypothetical.

Lets say you owned a business (say a restaurant) and you had a manager who ran the business and was well known to your customers. Would you want that person to be making these same types of comments to your customers?

Upvote 0

Fireball1244

Dec 20, 2005
✟1,000.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
seems to e that the first amendment just got trampled. They have no problem showing the gay lifestyle so why not opposing opinions? That is now a dead channel to me

What is the gay lifestyle? Please, enlighten me. Explain, since you know so much about "the gay lifestyle," exactly what my life is like.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What is the gay lifestyle? Please, enlighten me. Explain, since you know so much about "the gay lifestyle," exactly what my life is like.

The gay lifestyle is doing everything a straight person would do, but with more randomly inserted musical numbers and a better wardrobe! :p

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
I agree with this sentiment, but we're talking about a situation in which the company is supporting him through a multi-million dollar contract. Would you want to do that for a person who was using your platform to say things that go against your beliefs and harm your reputation?

Yes... I actually value the free expression of ideas and the open market of discourse.

I also would not view it as harming my reputation. I would add a disclaimer stating that the views expressed are not those of my own. Perhaps donate or run a show in support of my views, but I would not silence him. I would encourage people to analyze it critically.

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
xwi8.jpg

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Let me give you a hypothetical.

Lets say you owned a business (say a restaurant) and you had a manager who ran the business and was well known to your customers. Would you want that person to be making these same types of comments to your customers?

I view the entertainment industry with 'reality tv' in a completely different light than running a restaurant. In my view, reality style tv is supposed to show the lifestyles of others, often portraying aspects many people would avoid in their own life, and I feel their political or moral views should be included.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.