• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

‘Patently Anti-Religious’: Tim Walz Has History Of Restricting Faith-Based Institutions

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,195,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
“We are grateful that Governor Walz entered into respectful dialogue with us, recognized the spiritual needs of our faithful, and agreed that it is possible to resume worship services safely and responsibly,” said Archbishop Bernard Hebda, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. “Hopefully, our experience of constructive dialogue can serve as a roadmap for churches across the country suffering from similar inequities, whether intended or unintended, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are grateful that Becket and Sidley Austin LLP helped us to guard our first freedom—religious freedom—so that Catholics can receive the Eucharist and be strengthened in their response to the challenges of this trying time.”

The Archbishop is a wise man. Hopefully, many people will adopt his Christian attitude and his capacity to foster constructive relationships.
The Archbishop was fortunate to have a governor whose strong point is constructive relationships. A teacher, coach, military leader who was one of the most bipartisan members of Congress. What a wonderful VP he will make.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,161,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You do know we are talking about preventing the spread of a pandemic, don't you?
And that his safety regulations gave Minnesota the fourth lowest death rate in the country?
Hardly a "bad thing."
North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Montana also had low death rates and didn't require Stasi methods to do so. Some of it is simply geography.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,161,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Archbishop was fortunate to have a governor whose strong point is constructive relationships. A teacher, coach, military leader who was one of the most bipartisan members of Congress. What a wonderful VP he will make.
And yet the archbishop had to play hardball with Walz to get the churches opened up again. The reference to 'Becket' was that the archdiocese had to bring in powerhouse religious liberty attorneys to come up with a plan to force Walz to belatedly do the right thing. In the end the archdiocese opened the churches against orders and Walz backed down because he realized they would sue the pants off the state if the state started arresting priests.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,161,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
“We are grateful that Governor Walz entered into respectful dialogue with us, recognized the spiritual needs of our faithful, and agreed that it is possible to resume worship services safely and responsibly,” said Archbishop Bernard Hebda, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. “Hopefully, our experience of constructive dialogue can serve as a roadmap for churches across the country suffering from similar inequities, whether intended or unintended, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are grateful that Becket and Sidley Austin LLP helped us to guard our first freedom—religious freedom—so that Catholics can receive the Eucharist and be strengthened in their response to the challenges of this trying time.”

The Archbishop is a wise man. Hopefully, many people will adopt his Christian attitude and his capacity to foster constructive relationships.
You are giving Walz credit for being forced by lawsuits to allow these churches to open up. Yes, there was 'respectful dialogue' once Walz realized he had no other option but to give in and accept that there was such a thing as religious liberty. Archbishop Hebda is merely being gracious to Walz, who finally had to recognize the spiritual needs of Christians in Minnesota.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟308,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes it did. But someone I went to grade school with had both parents die from Covid within a week of each other and another woman I went to grade school with lost her mom to Covid around that same time.
How very sad!

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,176,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are giving Walz credit for being forced by lawsuits to allow these churches to open up. Yes, there was 'respectful dialogue' once Walz realized he had no other option but to give in and accept that there was such a thing as religious liberty. Archbishop Hebda is merely being gracious to Walz, who finally had to recognize the spiritual needs of Christians in Minnesota.
I didn't give Walz credit for anything. I only quoted what the Archbishop said. My post was about his Christian attitude and wisdom and not about Walz at all.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟176,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I prayed for your two friends' parents.

That is why I wore my mask in public indoor spaces a lot even into 2024, not to protect myself, but to protect others (my immune system is so strong, I can barely tell when I am sick). On January 2025, I will no longer wear my mask at work, except on planes and in grocery stores.
Thanks

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟176,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I both got Covid….i was vaccinated, he hadn’t gotten his vaccination yet. My symptoms were like having a cold, his were severe enough that I wanted to take him to the hospital but he refused. Usually he doesn’t get very sick when he catches something. We were wearing masks but not always.
Now, when the CDC makes recommendations we listen.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟163,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that the Metaxis biography by chance?
Yes. I got it for Christmas a few years ago, and am just getting around to reading it now. About Half-way through. My husband read it already and recommended it to me! I'm enjoying it.( Well there are some tough things in it to read, but it's a good book.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,161,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes. I got it for Christmas a few years ago, and am just getting around to reading it now. About Half-way through. My husband read it already and recommended it to me! I'm enjoying it.( Well there are some tough things in it to read, but it's a good book.)
I just picked it up at a used bookstore two weeks ago. Learning a lot.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟272,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

‘Patently Anti-Religious’: Tim Walz Has History Of Restricting Faith-Based Institutions​

Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Walz has faced multiple lawsuits for allegedly infringing on religious liberty during his time as Minnesota governor.

Walz encountered legal challenges for lockdown policies that religious organizations argued were discriminatory, placing stricter requirements on churches than businesses. He also encountered pushback after signing a law that stripped faith-based schools of funding for a program that offers free college credits to high school students.

Walz determined in a May 13, 2020, executive order that retailers would be allowed to reopen at 50% capacity, but left religious gatherings capped at ten people. After Catholic and Lutheran churches in the state announced plans to resume meeting in-person regardless of the governor’s order, he negotiated to allow religious groups to operate at 25% capacity, according to the Star Tribune.

Two churches nevertheless moved forward with their lawsuit over discriminatory treatment. Walz settled in May 2021 after the state’s motion to dismiss was denied, agreeing to treat religious gatherings the same as “the least restricted secular business regulated by the order.”

Three churches backed by the Thomas More Society also filed a lawsuit in August 2020 arguing Walz violated their religious liberties by mandating masks, limiting capacity and requiring social distancing.

“Governor Walz, a former teacher, gets an F in religious liberties,” Thomas More Society special counsel Erick Kaardal said in a press release at the time.

The Minnesota Supreme Court upheld in May Walz’s declaration of a peacetime emergency in response to COVID-19, according to the Upper Midwest Law Center.

Becket senior counsel Diana Thomson called the state’s decision to exclude faith-based schools “patently anti-religious.”

This is concerning. Between Waltz and Harris if they get in the US will have one of the most radical Leftist governments in the west. I have been following the US election from afar. But I have been following US politics for some time especially relating to Leftist ideology which is not just restricted to the US. In my country Australia similar is happening but not as extreme, 'yet'. But the same is happening in other western nations in Surope, Canada and Brtiain.

This example of the use of government position and power to control people seems to be a common theme with the Left and especially with the current Biden administration and the nominees for the upcoming election.

I notice issues like how the Biden/Harris adminstration through the FBI were spying on the Catholic church. I notice how Harris has relentlessly persued certain people for political reasons such as the protestors on Jan 6 while trying to excuse the protestors who caused millions of $$$ damage, looting and assulting. There seems to be a number of individual cases like this. I see the manipulation of media by government to censor information that they don't want and manipulation headlines to push their false narratives.

If we step back and take a look whats happening, the bigger picture or rather whats the underlying motivation and ideology behind all this we can see how this is an evolution of greater State interference and control over the years.. In otherwords the evolution of a totalitarian State. But I think the current situation is the culmination of ideology that has been cultivated in academia and into the institutions and onto mainstream society.

So its not something that just happened to happen. The rise of radical Leftist ideology and now having the prospect of having a radical Leftist government in the US is the symptom of the underlying ideology. The underlying ideology is like any political ideology be it Marxism, Feminism, Neo, Libralism or Facism. Its a belief, an assumption about how society is and should be ordered.

Basically I think its a mixture of ideas that have come before like cultural Marism, Postmodernism, Social Constructionism and the end result is what we call Woke, PC and Identity politics.

Theres also a moral basis and I think since God has been taken out of the public square other moral systems will fill the void. Thats being PC or Woke. Compassion in the form of protecting people and upholding their rights is used as the Trojan Horse to bring in the ideology and enforce it in schools, in the public institutions and the wider society.

But I think there is some hope. As this ideology has been going for a while now enough time has passed where we are seeing the reality of this ideology being exposed for what it is, an unreal belief and not fact or reality. We seen this with the winding back of Trans ideology in health, DEI in corporations though still an ongoing issue.

But also with episodes like the Olympic games opening ceremoney mocking Christians. France is an example of how the extreme end of this ideology can take over. Canada is another. But many episodes of good people being cancelled, crazy antisemetic protestors, males in womens sports, millions of illegal immigrants flooding into many western nations and now resulting in chaos and violence.

A big part of this takeover I think is the destruction of the family institute. They say that in totalitarian nations one of the first institutions to go to allow the State to creep further into all areas of life is the family as the family hold a lod of independent power. Also marriage and then religion. It seems that is exactly what we are seeing and another red flag for a coming total control by government.

Upvote 0