✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you attend a same sex marriage?
I would hope that those close to the ' couple ' or them, themselves would be aware of what I believe and would not invite me.

Would I go, no, but I would write to them to say I did not agree with what they were doing and that even though I disagreed I did pray for there health and happiness, even if we had major differences of views .

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,417,414.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. And if we are close friends or relatives, they would know why I did not attend. I would continue to love them and pray for them.

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

I am called to be salt & light
Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would hope that those close to the ' couple ' or them, themselves would be aware of what I believe and would not invite me.

Would I go, no, but I would write to them to say I did not agree with what they were doing and that even though I disagreed I did pray for there health and happiness, even if we had major differences of views .
Agreed.
No. And if we are close friends or relatives, they would know why I did not attend. I would continue to love them and pray for them.
good to know I am not the only one.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟784,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Conscientious objection or approval of same sex marriages is not going to stop them from happening.

If I had a friend who was going to get married to a same sex partner, even if I made a decision not to attend, the wedding would still go ahead anyway. The only difference is that I would not be there.

Would I be missed? Probably, yes, but not necessarily for the right reasons. I very much doubt I would be seen as a person of virtue, but as someone who abandoned their friend at an important time. It is easy to think that by declining their invitation we are telling them that we do not care about their relationship. In reality, the message they will likely get from us is that we do not care about them at all.

For some, the idea of attending a same sex marriage might feel uncomfortable or objectionable. For the friend getting married, it is an important milestone in their life. They wish to tie the knot with someone they love very deeply. It is not something that can be downplayed or trivialised. I think at times our desire for righteousness and justice can so easily cause us to lose sight of the needs and feelings of others.

A Christian should never be expected to do something that is against their beliefs or conscience. In this case, they are not being expected to. They are not attending the wedding to give their conscientious approval or to solemnise the relationship. If they felt uncomfortable with the ceremony, they can still sit and watch, even if they were not actively taking part.

They are going so they can be there for their friend.

The true value of friendship is the constancy and continuity of being there for someone during the highs and lows of life, when things go right and when they go wrong. Though we may sometimes not agree with our friends, or understand what they are doing, we are nevertheless always there for each other.

Friendship is a two way street. At times our friends may have come out of their own comfort zone to be there for us when we need them. Is it not right that we should do the same for them?

If I objected to same sex marriage, then it is quite likely my friend would already know this anyway. If I turned up to the wedding, it is very likely that my friend would perceive, all the more, that I have acted with maturity, dignity and kindness and shown that I genuinely care about them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

I am called to be salt & light
Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Conscientious objection or approval of same sex marriages is not going to stop them from happening.

If I had a friend who was going to get married to a same sex partner, even if I made a decision not to attend, the wedding would still go ahead anyway. The only difference is that I would not be there.

Would I be missed? Probably, yes, but not necessarily for the right reasons. I very much doubt I would be seen as a person of virtue, but as someone who abandoned their friend at an important time. It is easy to think that by declining their invitation we are telling them that we do not care about their relationship. In reality, the message they will likely get from us is that we do not care about them at all.

For some, the idea of attending a same sex marriage might feel uncomfortable or objectionable. For the friend getting married, it is an important milestone in their life. They wish to tie the knot with someone they love very deeply. It is not something that can be downplayed or trivialised. I think at times our desire for righteousness and justice can so easily cause us to lose sight of the needs and feelings of others.

A Christian should never be expected to do something that is against their beliefs or conscience. In this case, they are not being expected to. They are not attending the wedding to give their conscientious approval or to solemnise the relationship. If they felt uncomfortable with the ceremony, they can still sit and watch, even if they were not actively taking part.

The true value of friendship is the constancy and continuity of being there for someone during the highs and lows of life, when things go right and when they go wrong. Though we may sometimes not agree with our friends, or understand what they are doing, we are nevertheless always there for each other.

Friendship is a two way street. At times our friends may have come out of their own comfort zone to be there for us when we need them. Is it not right that we should do the same for them?

If I objected to same sex marriage, then it is quite likely my friend would already know this anyway. If I turned up to the wedding, it is very likely that my friend would perceive, all the more, that I have acted with maturity, dignity and kindness and shown that I genuinely care about them.

Attending a wedding is saying you approve and sit as a witness and celebrate with them.

you said "It is easy to think that by declining their invitation we are telling them that we do not care about their relationship." I wonder if God thinks you are caring more about the approval of man than of God? You can't please the world and God, you can only serve one master.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟784,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Attending a wedding is saying you approve and sit as a witness and celebrate with them.

you said "It is easy to think that by declining their invitation we are telling them that we do not care about their relationship." I wonder if God thinks you are caring more about the approval of man than of God? You can't please the world and God, you can only serve one master.
It's not about getting approval from anyone. It is not even necessarily agreeing with the decision they are taking. It is about showing friendship and care and doing things in a respectful and dignified way.

Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No i wouldn't because going means i support what they are doing. We do not only go to hell for our own actions but also what we support.
May God Bless You

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not about getting approval from anyone. It is not even necessarily agreeing with the decision they are taking. It is about showing friendship and care and doing things in a respectful and dignified way.
Some things cross the line, even for friends. Attending a wedding is giving approval, or appearing to. That appearance could hurt your Christian witness or have any number of effects. There are other ways to show friendship.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have already not attended one in my family.

It's about approval of what Scripture reveals God does not approve.

Christ loved sinners and healed their sin, but which he clearly and explicitly did not approve ("Go, and sin no more.") nor did he condone by participation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,699.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Attending the wedding is participating in their sin by showing that you approve of what they are doing and celebrating their union. This is against what God tells us when He says, "Come out from among them and be separate." Showing approval of sin is the same as sinning yourself and you will be accountable to God for it.

Upvote 0

BOW2me

Sep 12, 2022
Stockton
✟54,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

My moto: Neither condone what God condemns nor condemn what God condones.

As has been stated in other posts, by attending your are giving approval of their sinful act.

This passage comes to mind:
(2Jo 1:9 KJV) Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
(2Jo 1:10 KJV) If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed:
(2Jo 1:11 KJV) For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Don't even wish them well!

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟516,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day,

I would suggest that people who choose to redefine marriage that know me and where I stand. That even considering inviting me are being selfish, self centered and disrespectful.

I know I should not be surprised when pagans act like pagans, but there is need to be dimwitted at the same time.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0