May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,175.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Agsin

Again, this is another case of art telling you more about where you are at right now. I liked it. It’s very dramatic and the butterfly representing Charles metamorphosis from Prince to King was a nice touch. The artist, Jonathan Yeo, has done other portraits of those within the family. There was nothing negative about it. It’s a matter of taste.

The artist could have used a royal blue but it would not of had the same impact. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone saw it. It’s quite eye catching and different than the usual staid portraits usually presented.
Oh Michie. How can you possibly like this? A painter who made a portrait of a monarch like this a few hundred years ago would have had his lopped off.

It's obviously a condemnation of Western civilization. He's holding a sword. The man is awash in blood, and is himself made of the same blood. This is exactly what certain types claim - that Western civilization is made of the blood of others. And I haven't seen a photo of Charles recently, but his face and hands make him look dead. I've attended open casket funerals where the corpse looked better than Charles does here.

The butterfly approaching him obviously represents the change which is coming.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh Michie. How can you possibly like this? A painter who made a portrait of a monarch like this a few hundred years ago would have had his lopped off.

It's obviously a condemnation of Western civilization. He's holding a sword. The man is awash in blood, and is himself made of the same blood. This is exactly what certain types claim - that Western civilization is made of the blood of others. And I haven't seen a photo of Charles recently, but his face and hands make him look dead. I've attended open casket funerals where the corpse looked better than Charles does here.

The butterfly approaching him obviously represents the change which is coming.
Lol!! :D well there are some that say it looks like he is Hades. I guess that could tie in with the corpse thing. ;)

I’m just waiting for someone to come in and point out the satanic symbolism... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jonathan Yeo's portrait of Prince Philip from 2006 (detail).

Jonathan Yeo's portrait of Prince Philip from 2006 (detail). Courtesy the artist

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Lol!! :D well there are some that say it looks like he is Hades. I guess that could tie in with the corpse thing. ;)

I’m just waiting for someone to come in and point out the satanic symbolism... :p
A friend of mine who used to work in a gallery told me that, on average, art works with red in them sell better.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend of mine who used to work in a gallery told me that, on average, art works with red in them sell better.
I have no experience with that given my work in galleries but that does not surprise me. Many are looking for pieces that draw the viewer in. Red is one of those colors.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The King has unveiled the first completed official portrait of himself since the coronation. The portrait, by British artist Jonathan Yeo, was commissioned in 2020 to celebrate the then Prince of Wales’s 50 years as a member of The Drapers’ Company in 2022. Discussing the controversial bold colours used across the canvas, Yeo conceded that “there will always be people who disagree with you, people that don’t agree with how you’ve done it.”

One minute and 47 seconds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Talk’s Kevin O’Sullivan is joined by art critic Estelle Lovatt as King Charles unveiled the first completed official portrait of himself since the coronation. The portrait, by British artist Jonathan Yeo, was commissioned in 2020 to celebrate the then Prince of Wales’s 50 years as a member of The Drapers’ Company in 2022. Estelle says the painting is “a bit grey, desolate and washed out” and suggests this could portray “how he is feeling”.

Twenty minutes 38 seconds.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agsin

Again, this is another case of art telling you more about where you are at right now. I liked it. It’s very dramatic and the butterfly representing Charles metamorphosis from Prince to King was a nice touch. The artist, Jonathan Yeo, has done other portraits of those within the family. There was nothing negative about it. It’s a matter of taste.

The artist could have used a royal blue but it would not of had the same impact. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone saw it. It’s quite eye catching and different than the usual staid portraits usually presented.
Not being a professional artist, I would have used different, darker, colors in the back ground. Not as dark as the famed The Night Watch, but enough to make the foreground pop. Then Charles III in his red uniform with a brightly colored butterfly in red tones. A Monarch butterfly may seem smart-alec and over the top, but the colors would work. The point is that the butterfly colors should mimic what Charles III is wearing, to strengthen the analogy.

As to traditional portraits, they were lifelike because photography has only been around maybe about 200 years. Images so subjects may know their sovereigns were first were stamped on coins, and photographs arguably served the same purpose. Now that lifelike photos are plentiful, there's really no reason a painted portrait should only be lifelike.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not being a professional artist, I would have used different, darker, colors in the back ground. Not as dark as the famed The Night Watch, but enough to make the foreground pop. Then Charles III in his red uniform with a brightly colored butterfly in red tones. A Monarch butterfly may seem smart-alec and over the top, but the colors would work. The point is that the butterfly colors should mimic what Charles III is wearing, to strengthen the analogy.

The butterfly in the painting is a Monarch butterfly. Red is a regal color. The butterfly was King Charles’ suggestion. The color blends with the uniform of the Welch Guards King Charles is wearing. The portrait amply meet its goal imo.

Upvote 0