Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟832,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See Ro 6:3-8.
Those verses do not say, anything about circumcision. Circumcision is not a death, burial and resurrection, but immersion baptism is. Circumcision of the heart replaces physical circumcision, plus the indwelling Holy Spirit replaced physical circumcision. Circumcision showed you where an heir to the promise and the indwelling Holy Spirit allows Christians to know they are heirs to a home in heaven, but baptism itself does not mean you are an heir to anything.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
And in Acts 19:4 says , and Paul said , John indeed BAPTIZED with a BAPTISM // and that Greek here in the Greek text is BAPTISMA , of Repentance , sayings to the people , in order that they should believe in the ONE , COMING AFTER him ( him means John ) that is , in the Jesus .

Verse 5 And having heard this , they were BAPTIZED ( WATER // HUDOR is not mention here AT ALL , IN the name of the Lord Jesus ,

Way different from Matt 28: 19 and 20 .

And under the DISPENSATION of the MYSTERY there is NO , WATER BAPTISM , and no PRIESTS , PERIOD !!

dan p

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This argument takes place a lot. But it's not like there's a bunch of Christians who were never baptized and refuse to do so. There are those who argue that it's not necessary for salvation, but most likely they were all baptized early on.
John 3:3-3:5

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟832,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And in Acts 19:4 says , and Paul said , John indeed BAPTIZED with a BAPTISM // and that Greek here in the Greek text is BAPTISMA , of Repentance , sayings to the people , in order that they should believe in the ONE , COMING AFTER him ( him means John ) that is , in the Jesus .

Verse 5 And having heard this , they were BAPTIZED ( WATER // HUDOR is not mention here AT ALL , IN the name of the Lord Jesus ,

Way different from Matt 28: 19 and 20 .

And under the DISPENSATION of the MYSTERY there is NO , WATER BAPTISM , and no PRIESTS , PERIOD !!

dan p
Paul said in 1 Cor. 1 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)
and in context this would be water baptism, so why did he baptize this family?

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟616,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I might have been unclear. What I meant is probably all those who argue that baptism is unnecessary for salvation, have been baptized and get their children baptized nonetheless. I guess it's that I don't see any point whatsoever in arguing that it's not necessary, when virtually all Christians have been baptized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I might have been unclear. What I meant is probably all those who argue that baptism is unnecessary for salvation, have been baptized and get their children baptized nonetheless. I guess it's that I don't see any point whatsoever in arguing that it's not necessary, when virtually all Christians have been baptized.
Oh! I see now. Yes, many non-denominational Churches and Baptist Churches believe Baptism is a sign a person has been saved already, not necessarily a grace filled Sacrament. Now, I know where you are getting at.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said in 1 Cor. 1 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)
and in context this would be water baptism, so why did he baptize this family?
And I first will explain 1 Cor 1:15 , reads LEST // ME , is a Greek word that means ( THAT if Paul did BAPTIZED for my name

# 2 Also notice that the Greek word for WATER //HUDOR is not in the TEXT .

# 3 Will anyone explain why NOT ??

# 4 The reason why Paul could NEVER BAPTIZE anyone is because he was not the Lord Jesus Christ , for one .

#5 Nor Paul could not use Matt 28:19 to baptize in the name of the FATHER , SON or HOLY SPIRIT

# 6 Looking at Acts 2:38 its BAPTISM is without WATER // HUDOR , as that Greek word is not in the Greek text , PERIOD .

# 7 Acts 2:38 BAPTISM , happened if any Jew REPENTED and then if they REPENTED they would RECEIVE the GIFT of the HOLY SPIRIT .

# 8 If anyone believes in WATER BAPTISM , pleas explain 1 Cor 10:2 and reads , And all were BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO unto Moses in the CLOUD and in the SEA . How were they baptized unto to MOSES ???

#9 In 1 Cor 15: 29 How are DEAD BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

dan p

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟832,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And I first will explain 1 Cor 1:15 , reads LEST // ME , is a Greek word that means ( THAT if Paul did BAPTIZED for my name

# 2 Also notice that the Greek word for WATER //HUDOR is not in the TEXT .

# 3 Will anyone explain why NOT ??

# 4 The reason why Paul could NEVER BAPTIZE anyone is because he was not the Lord Jesus Christ , for one .

#5 Nor Paul could not use Matt 28:19 to baptize in the name of the FATHER , SON or HOLY SPIRIT

# 6 Looking at Acts 2:38 its BAPTISM is without WATER // HUDOR , as that Greek word is not in the Greek text , PERIOD .

# 7 Acts 2:38 BAPTISM , happened if any Jew REPENTED and then if they REPENTED they would RECEIVE the GIFT of the HOLY SPIRIT .

# 8 If anyone believes in WATER BAPTISM , pleas explain 1 Cor 10:2 and reads , And all were BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO unto Moses in the CLOUD and in the SEA . How were they baptized unto to MOSES ???

#9 In 1 Cor 15: 29 How are DEAD BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

dan p
Scholars and even those who know Greek do not have an issue for the word "water" not being used all the time. Baptism means immersion in something: the cloud and water on the sides when the Jews went through the Red Sea, the immense rain and flood around Noah's Arch, the water Jesus went down into and came out of when John the Baptist Baptized Him, the water the Eunuch went down into to be baptized and the Spirit on Pentecost.
Which "baptisms" are you saying Paul did do for a few people and avoid doing for others in Corinth (but obviously could have since he did for some)?

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟263,344.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism can have many fold meanings.

Basically it's a self-delaration under witness that one chooses to follow Jesus Christ, or a self-nomination to be under the New Covenant. That's how John the Baptist started it, while it is said that Law and Prophets are proclaimed till John the Baptist. Since then the New Covenant takes effect.

Hades is visually like under seas. The deeper you dive into, it darker it becomes. Baptism signifies that you are burried (in Hades) and resurrected later and to be saved. When you die you shall see how your own spirit behaves, which takes the form of a "flying pigeon". It adds the fold of meaning of what happened when Jesus was baptized, that is, "you are baptized in the presence of the Spirit" and you are with God.

While circumcision is for the Jews to self-declare to be under the Jewish covenants signifying a switch from the previous gentile covenant (possible the Rainbow covenant) to a Jewish covenant, Baptism signifies a switch from an older gentile covenant (possibly the Rainbow covenant) to the New Covenant.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scholars and even those who know Greek do not have an issue for the word "water" not being used all the time. Baptism means immersion in something: the cloud and water on the sides when the Jews went through the Red Sea, the immense rain and flood around Noah's Arch, the water Jesus went down into and came out of when John the Baptist Baptized Him, the water the Eunuch went down into to be baptized and the Spirit on Pentecost.
Which "baptisms" are you saying Paul did do for a few people and avoid doing for others in Corinth (but obviously could have since he did for some)?
And here is just ONE for you ?

And in , 1 Cor 10:2 reads thus :

And all were BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO in the Greek unto to MOSES in the CLOUD and in the SEA >

If anyone believes in WATER BAPTISM , how were the million of Jews that left EYGPT be BAPTIZED unto to MOSES .

And how were the CLOUD and SEA , BAPTIZED .

Also , notice that the Greek , WATER // HUDOR is not in the Greek text !!

dan p

And

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew's gospel ends with what many people call the great commission which reads as follows:
Matthew 28:16-20 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. (17) When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. (18) And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'​
So, what does baptism do? It seems to be associated with making disciples. And after baptism comes teaching, or so it seems.

Jesus was water immersed, what did it do for Him?

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟832,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And here is just ONE for you ?

And in , 1 Cor 10:2 reads thus :

And all were BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO in the Greek unto to MOSES in the CLOUD and in the SEA >

If anyone believes i WATER BAPTISM , how were the million of Jews that left EYGPT be BAPTIZED unto to MOSES .

And how were the CLOUD and SEA , BAPTIZED .

Also , notice that the Greek , WATER // HUDOR is not in the Greek text !!

dan p

And
The question still is: What "Baptism" did Paul do for a few people but not a lot of people?

Upvote 0
May 2, 2024
Kentucky
✟874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, what does baptism do?

Baptism is a second birth, a regeneration.
Baptism is the means by which we enter into the covenant Family of God.
Baptism takes away the "stain" of original sin, and forgives any sin committed up to that point.
Baptism is one of the Seven Sacraments

Jesus said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God” (John 3:5). And St. Paul tells us that this new birth through baptism is salvific, stating that God “saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5). And again in 1 Peter 3:21: “Baptism . . . now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

This washing of regeneration (re-birth) through the waters of baptism was instituted by Christ as an instrument of salvation. God also used water as the instrumental cause of salvation for the eight people aboard Noah’s ark (1 Peter 3:20-21).

St. Thomas Aquinas explains:

It was fitting that through the visible things themselves the remedies of salvation be applied to men.

Regarding the spiritual generation which takes place in baptism, one must consider that the generation of a living thing is a kind of change from non-living to life. But man in his origin was deprived of spiritual life by original sin and still every single sin whatever which is added draws him away from life. Baptism, therefore, which is spiritual generation, had to have the power to take away both original sin and all the actual, committed sins.

Now, because the sensible sign of a sacrament must be harmonious with the representation of its spiritual effect, and since washing away filth in bodily things is done more easily and more commonly by water, baptism is, therefore, suitably conferred in water made holy by the Word of God
” (Saint Thomas Aquinas—On the Truth of the Catholic Faith Summa Contra Gentiles Book Four: Salvation p. 250).

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is a second birth, a regeneration.
Baptism is the means by which we enter into the covenant Family of God.
Baptism takes away the "stain" of original sin, and forgives any sin committed up to that point.
Baptism is one of the Seven Sacraments

Jesus said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God” (John 3:5). And St. Paul tells us that this new birth through baptism is salvific, stating that God “saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5). And again in 1 Peter 3:21: “Baptism . . . now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

This washing of regeneration (re-birth) through the waters of baptism was instituted by Christ as an instrument of salvation. God also used water as the instrumental cause of salvation for the eight people aboard Noah’s ark (1 Peter 3:20-21).

St. Thomas Aquinas explains:

It was fitting that through the visible things themselves the remedies of salvation be applied to men.

Regarding the spiritual generation which takes place in baptism, one must consider that the generation of a living thing is a kind of change from non-living to life. But man in his origin was deprived of spiritual life by original sin and still every single sin whatever which is added draws him away from life. Baptism, therefore, which is spiritual generation, had to have the power to take away both original sin and all the actual, committed sins.

Now, because the sensible sign of a sacrament must be harmonious with the representation of its spiritual effect, and since washing away filth in bodily things is done more easily and more commonly by water, baptism is, therefore, suitably conferred in water made holy by the Word of God
” (Saint Thomas Aquinas—On the Truth of the Catholic Faith Summa Contra Gentiles Book Four: Salvation p. 250).
Here is what MANY refuse to see or refuse to check the Greek text of 1 Peter 3:21

# 1 1 Peter 3:21 begins : The like figure whereunto { in the KJV , the word EVEN was Added to the Greek text , just check the Greek text } and the next Greek word is BAPTISMA and is Not BAPTISM , just check and SEE !!

#2 And doth now save us , it does read and people read this verse and Then Believe that BAPTISM saves us and GLOSS over the next few words , { not the putting AWAY the FILTH of the Flesh , and they still believe that BAPTISM will save them ??

dan p

Upvote 0