What are your views regarding the Revival movement ?

Mr Pickles

Feb 2, 2012
✟449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What are your views on the revival movement ,

On you tube you can see Todd Bentley saying he kicked an old women who was worshiping the Lord in the face , in the nose, as instructed by God, with his motor bike boot, then he claims the holy spirit fell. ?

and how he punched a man, knocking his tooth out,

is this really from God, is this the holy spirit you know , or a another spirit.

like wise Kennith Copeland Benni hinn and their multi million dollar business empires, private jets,

again is it the holy spirit behind this movement or another spirit,

like wise the Toronto blessing , this said to be Holy laughter, people rolling and writhing around .

Mr Pickles

Feb 2, 2012
✟449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
We are told to test the spirit, we do not want to say some thing that is of God, or his Holy spirit is of satan,

but neither do we want to be deceived by another spirit, and say it is the Holy spirit.

satan can appear as an angel of light, many will believe the anti christ is the messiah, they have been waiting for,

We see Jesus to being accused falsely of being satan,

We see Paul casting a spirit out of a Girl , who was proclaiming they were servants of the most high.

what she was saying was true, what the spirit in her , had revealed to her was true,

but Paul casts this familiar spirit out of the girl.

we see to the world goes after the beast , worships his image, receives his mark,

and the anti christ can perform lying wonders,

what is the spirit behind such men, manifesting in their meetings, is the spirit , really the Holy spirit,

or indeed a counterfeit spirit, another spirit, and Christians are being led into deception by it, believing it is the holy spirit.

you shall know them by their fruits, we see to the fruit of the spirits in the scriptures, the Gifts of the Holy spirit.

like Paul who was troubled by the spirit in this girl, i to am troubled by what i am seeing and hearing.

and seeking the Lord in prayer, and asking for discernment

johnny .

Upvote 0

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

On you tube you can see Todd Bentley

I was never a fan of Todd Bentley's excessive behaviours, it doesn't seem right to me.

That said, Smith Wigglesworth used to punch people with cancer, in the cancer and healing would happen. (If you don't know of Smith he is worth reading about).

like wise the Toronto blessing , this said to be Holy laughter, people rolling and writhing around .

I think the Toronto blessing was from God. It is still affecting the church. The men involved are completely different to Todd Bentley. Randy Clark and John Arnott are humble men of God. That they stood with Todd Bentley was not so much to endorse what was happening, but to support him against the criticism from the church.

The Holy laughter is not unique to Toronto and wasn't first seen there. In fact I was in meetings some years before Toronto where people were falling over, laughing, crying etc.

I don't remember the full details, but there was a famous revival in the Baptist Church. And there is a book out about it describing what happened. In the first issue of the book it describes the same phenomena as happened at Toronto. When the second edition came out, the descriptions of those phenomena had been removed. Interesting clean up.

I'm all for it. I can't imagine that a God like ours who comes and dwells within wouldn't overflow from time to time with emotions and phenomena that we humans simply can't contain.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr Pickles

Feb 2, 2012
✟449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TozerBGood

Everything costs more and takes longer.
Oct 21, 2012
Oregon
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well we may as well share part 2 of this documentary. I have not seen this documentary before, but it echoes the things I have been saying about the "signs and wonders" generation of people who look for spiritual experiences (without discernment and careful biblical scrutiny) rather than the true relationship with God. These people lack the true fruits of the Spirit as defined in Gal Ch.5. And they use personal experiences to justify whatever they want to be correct. Yep...false prophets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcGaTRwG_4&feature=relmfu

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Based on any definition of "revival" , I look at any festival with that word as being illegitimate . If what is occurring is indeed from the Lord , they should either refrain from labeling it or , at the very east , stay away from including "revival" .

Upvote 0

TozerBGood

Oct 21, 2012
Oregon
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do we need revival when this should be the normal not some special event.

Well regardless of what should be the norm, mankind has historically had this funny tendency to drift away from God, hence the need for TRUE revival.

I agree with Mr. Pickles in that this thing that has been going on … labeled the “Charismatic Revival” is not true revival, and we do need to test the spirits against the word of God.

But let’s be honest…TRUE revival is a good thing, and this country desperately needs it.

It's been my observation, that TRUE revival usually comes out of desperation...where people are broken hearted over sin. True revival brings repentance, and drawing near to God. It causes people to break free from bad habits, and to live uprightly. I don't see this in the “Charismatic Revival” as pointed out by the videos.

… men ought always to pray, and not to faint… Luke 18.1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
It's been my observation, that TRUE revival usually comes out of desperation...where people are broken hearted over sin. True revival brings repentance, and drawing near to God. It causes people to break free from bad habits, and to live uprightly. I don't see this in the “Charismatic Revival” as pointed out by the videos.

Well, my testimony is that I came back to God as a result of the Lakeland happenings. There was a church in Bath in England where people had been to Lakeland and had "brought back the fire". That church then held meetings nearly every night for months. I live about 80 miles away and I was traveling there 2 or 3 times a week because I was meeting God there.

What you describe: "broken hearted over sin. True revival brings repentance, and drawing near to God. It causes people to break free from bad habits, and to live uprightly" all happened to me and I am still living in the good of it.

I clearly remember the meetings prostrate before the Almighty confessing and repenting. 10 years of backsliding dealt with. It wasn't easy and it was costly.

I also went with friends - many of them have testimonies of how God touched them in significant ways during those meetings. Some of them received physical healing. One teenaged lad had wrecked his wrists falling off a bike. They were instantly healed in the meeting during the worship.

I'm not seeking to justify Todd Bentley, his lad-ish behaviour and outlandish claims, but I would say that what I experienced was truly God.

I would say similar things about the Toronto events. Behind all the laughter and the falling over, behind the media reports and the hype were people whose lives were being touched and changed for the better by a loving God. And this still goes on today. Did not the whole father's heart "movement" come out of Toronto? Heidi Baker's involvement in Mozambique was ignited at a Toronto meeting.

I posted this earlier in the thread - laughter and falling over and all that stuff was not invented in Toronto. It has been seen before in non-Charismatic revivals. The Baptists amended their history to remove it. Oddly, the Baptists also closed down what may have been the start of what became the Azuza Street revival after 3 weeks of continuous meetings.

And I was in meetings way before the Toronto thing happened where people were falling about laughing when they were prayed for to receive the Holy Spirit. We even had some healing during those meetings - one lady was deaf in one ear and had her ear healed. She and I are still inthe same church and she is still healed.

Randy Clark and John Arnott came under immense criticism during Toronto. I feel huge rejection when someone has a go at me on-line for saying God heals today - what they must have gone through personally I can't imagine and, to be honest, I'm surprised they coped. I've met each of them on a number of occasions and I can only say that I have found them to be humble quietly spoken men.

One other thing about revivals is that they are not usually understood by existing churches. John Wesley was not allowed to preach in churches because it was considered his theology was heresy. Now it is accepted as mainstream.

I hope and pray that should another revival come that I will not be judgemental about its origins or shape, but that I will recognise God in it and enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Kind regards,

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟16,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

On you tube you can see Todd Bentley saying he kicked an old women who was worshiping the Lord in the face , in the nose, as instructed by God, with his motor bike boot, then he claims the holy spirit fell. ?

and how he punched a man, knocking his tooth out,

is this really from God, is this the holy spirit you know , or a another spirit.

like wise Kennith Copeland Benni hinn and their multi million dollar business empires, private jets,

again is it the holy spirit behind this movement or another spirit,

Did Moses honor God in the miracle of bringing water from the rock, we see that it is very possible to do miracles by the power of God, yet be in error............even Jesus addresses this issue in Mathew 7:1-3

I believe that it is very possible to misuse the gifts of the Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟16,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, my testimony is that I came back to God as a result of the Lakeland happenings. There was a church in Bath in England where people had been to Lakeland and had "brought back the fire". That church then held meetings nearly every night for months. I live about 80 miles away and I was traveling there 2 or 3 times a week because I was meeting God there.

What you describe: "broken hearted over sin. True revival brings repentance, and drawing near to God. It causes people to break free from bad habits, and to live uprightly" all happened to me and I am still living in the good of it.

I clearly remember the meetings prostrate before the Almighty confessing and repenting. 10 years of backsliding dealt with.

I also went with friends - many of them have testimonies of how God touched them in significant ways during those meetings. Some of them received physical healing. One teenaged lad had wrecked his wrists falling off a bike. They were instantly healed in the meeting during the worship.

I'm not seeking to justify Todd Bentley, his lad-ish behaviour and outlandish claims, but I would say that what I experienced was truly God.

I would say similar things about the Toronto events. Behind all the laughter and the falling over, behind the media reports and the hype were people whose lives were being touched and changed for the better by a loving God. And this still goes on today. Did not the whole father's heart "movement" come out of Toronto? Heidi Baker's involvement in Mozambique was ignited at a Toronto meeting.

I posted this earlier in the thread - laughter and falling over and all that stuff was not invented in Toronto. It has been seen before in non-Charismatic revivals. The Baptists amended their history to remove it. Oddly, the Baptists also closed down what may have been the start of what became the Azuza Street revival after 3 weeks of continuous meetings.

And I was in meetings way before the Toronto thing happened where people were falling about laughing when they were prayed for to receive the Holy Spirit. We even had some healing during those meetings - one lady was deaf in one ear and had her ear healed. She and I are still inthe same church and she is still healed.

Randy Clark and John Arnott came under immense criticism during Toronto. I feel huge rejection when someone has a go at me on-line for saying God heals today - what they must have gone through personally I can't imagine and, to be honest, I'm surprised they coped. I've met each of them on a number of occasions and I can only say that I have found them to be humble quietly spoken men.

One other thing about revivals is that they are not usually understood by existing churches. John Wesley was not allowed to preach in churches because it was considered his theology was heresy. Now it is accepted as mainstream.

I hope and pray that should another revival come that I will not be judgemental about its origins or shape, but that I will recognise God in it and enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Kind regards,

Mike

again I will say the water issued from the rock by the power of God quenched the thirst of the people, although the prophet Moses striking the rock was in error and did not follow God's command in bringing the miracle of water to the people in a correct manner. yet the people were still blessed with what they needed "THE WATER"

In the same way people go to be touched by God receive what they are searching for, because they go in faith and they receive by faith

Upvote 0

TozerBGood

Oct 21, 2012
Oregon
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
again I will say the water issued from the rock by the power of God quenched the thirst of the people, although the prophet Moses striking the rock was in error and did not follow God's command in bringing the miracle of water to the people in a correct manner. yet the people were still blessed with what they needed "THE WATER"

In the same way people go to be touched by God receive what they are searching for, because they go in faith and they receive by faith

YES Mr.Bigg...whatuetothe word said,,,I must agree.

Because someone gets healed at a "revival:, doesn't justify the means.

Many people claim to be healed through Benny Hinn, but what Benny teaches is incorrect, and strays from the word of God.

Upvote 0

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you are saying.

In the case of Toronto, then, what teaching was in error?

I'm also unsure that every experience we have as humans and as Christians needs to be in the Bible. I certainly don't want my God to be limited by a thousand odd pages of mixed poetry and prose.

Kind regards,

Mike

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm also unsure that every experience we have as humans and as Christians needs to be in the Bible. I certainly don't want my God to be limited by a thousand odd pages of mixed poetry and prose.

Kind regards,

Mike

So, would it be ok with you if you are told during a church service that God spoke saying we are all commanded to lie to our families every chance we get, cheat on our taxes, and randomly murder three strangers a week?

If not, why not, and by what standard of judgment did you come to that conclusion?

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟16,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, would it be ok with you if you are told during a church service that God spoke saying we are all commanded to lie to our families every chance we get, cheat on our taxes, and randomly murder three strangers a week?

If not, why not, and by what standard of judgment did you come to that conclusion?

a bit extreme......not sure I've encountered any crazy charismatics telling their parishners to commit such acts

Upvote 0

TozerBGood

Oct 21, 2012
Oregon
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Kind regards,

Mike

Poetry and prose? Have you actually READ the bible? If you don't test it against the bible, you have no way to know if it is wrong or right. This is how cults and false doctrines start. For example, Mormonism teaches The Father Son and Holy Ghost, but when you dig deeper, and examine the doctrine of Covenants, and other literature, they teach that Jesus is the 1/2 brother of Satan, They teach that you can become you own god and have your own planet. With that reasoning, Adam is our God, and indeed that was even suggested and taught by Brigham Young. (if you doubt this click HERE).

Now does that mean ALL Mormons don't have a relationship with God? No...of course it doesn't. I am sure that there are probably people who are Mormon's who are saved, and have a real relationship with God, but the doctrine itself is evil, and legalistic to say the least.

So when you say...
"I'm also unsure that every experience we have as humans and as Christians needs to be in the Bible. I certainly don't want my God to be limited by a thousand odd pages of mixed poetry and prose"...

...I say...apply that logic to Joseph Smith who says the angel Moroni gave him the Book Of Mormon, which the Smithsonian institute says there is not one shred of any archaeological evidence of the places mentioned in it.

And if you do apply your reasoning to Joseph Smith and Mormonism, then maybe you can answer your own question, because where in the bible does it ever indicate anything about making animal sounds, "crunching/vomiting in the Spirit", Holy Laughter, etc etc etc??? Is God the author of confusion?

Please look up the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5, and compare it.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1st John 1:4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr Pickles

Feb 2, 2012
✟449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
For my self i was once caught up into heaven in the spirit, and found my self sitting in a palace room, it was a mint green color, i knew it was not of this world, realm, no one eles was in the room, and i was filled with such a fullness of Gods spirit flowing through me over me, upon me, like a fountain deep with in being released, filling myself, i had never experienced such a full ness of spirit and so much love, as Jesus speaks in the scriptures , out of my inner most being , flowed rivers of living water.

Even when i was returned to this realm, this fullness remained for a while, and then the spirit lifted , but i knew within God had imparted a priceless Gift, and my life would never be the same again.

During this fullness, for me it was like experiencing the eternal the fullness of spirit we will know and walk in, when we exchange the mortal for the immortal.
Receive our heavenly bodies.

During this fullness of Gods spirit, did i speak in tongues no, i did latter, but not at this time, was there any other manifestation from my self no.

I have some good friends , i would say they are very genuine people, who went to a Graham Kendrick meeting , when he was praying for people to receive the Toronto anointing , here in the UK , these two friends, Paul and Mary, had both moved in the spirit been filled with the holy spirit on occasions before this meeting,

Paul told me the spirit imparted to him, in this meeting was not the Holy spirit, it caused him all kinds problems. and really called him to question what was going on around him.

I experienced once to in a dream, all i heard was behold the prince of darkness comes,

this very power full spirit entered myself, i was shocked how can this be, how can this spirit gain entrance, i have the holy spirit,

i was then lifted up into the air four or five feet, and then thrown at full force towards a wall, stopping just a few inches of the wall, remained there a moment, then dropped ,
this demonic spirit departing.

i have heard people share about gurus, that during their gatherings power full spirits would manifest, and the people gathered would really be caught up in what was taken place, through these gurus, spirits.

i am also aware satan counterfeits the things of God,

so we have accounts in scripture of what happened when believers where filled with the Holy Spirit,

And God says in the end times he will pour out his spirit,

and what may take place during these out pourings of Gods spirit,

though as mentioned to, God sending a strong delusion, during this time, many will be deceived who have not believed , rejected Gods truth and priceless Gift of salvation,

through our Lord Jesus Christ.

but so strong is the delusion, even the elect could be taken in, if they are not aware, alert, on guard.

We see Jesus to approached by people proclaiming all manner of things they have done in his name.

and Jesus telling them to depart, from him, you wicked and accursed,

I never knew you.

so on this whole question of what i am seeing hearing, many Christians caught up in this movement, or the emerging churches,

i am seeking God for his wisdom, his discernment, asking for under standing,

because some of what i am seeing hearing not all, i may add, is troubling me,

i do not know if i could at this time endorse, to family friends people i care about,

and say this is from God, these men, these ministries are from God.

this spirit is from God.

it may well be im missing some thing , lacking in insight under standing, as to what God is doing in these days.

or it may be , im not and what im seeing hearing is not of God, and is a counterfeit spirit, a deception, that many are being taken in by.

believing its of God.

and having the discernment, to see the wood from the trees, as it were.

Mr Pickles.

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟109,917.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
For my self i was once caught up into heaven in the spirit, and found my self sitting in a palace room, it was a mint green color, i knew it was not of this world, realm, no one eles was in the room, and i was filled with such a fullness of Gods spirit flowing through me over me, upon me, like a fountain deep with in being released, filling myself, i had never experienced such a full ness of spirit and so much love, as Jesus speaks in the scriptures , out of my inner most being , flowed rivers of living water.

Even when i was returned to this realm, this fullness remained for a while, and then the spirit lifted , but i knew within God had imparted a priceless Gift, and my life would never be the same again.

During this fullness, for me it was like experiencing the eternal the fullness of spirit we will know and walk in, when we exchange the mortal for the immortal.
Receive our heavenly bodies.

During this fullness of Gods spirit, did i speak in tongues no, i did latter, but not at this time, was there any other manifestation from my self no.

I have some good friends , i would say they are very genuine people, who went to a Graham Kendrick meeting , when he was praying for people to receive the Toronto anointing , here in the UK , these two friends, Paul and Mary, had both moved in the spirit been filled with the holy spirit on occasions before this meeting,

Paul told me the spirit imparted to him, in this meeting was not the Holy spirit, it caused him all kinds problems. and really called him to question what was going on around him.

I experienced once to in a dream, all i heard was behold the prince of darkness comes,

this very power full spirit entered myself, i was shocked how can this be, how can this spirit gain entrance, i have the holy spirit,

i was then lifted up into the air four or five feet, and then thrown at full force towards a wall, stopping just a few inches of the wall, remained there a moment, then dropped ,
this demonic spirit departing.

i have heard people share about gurus, that during their gatherings power full spirits would manifest, and the people gathered would really be caught up in what was taken place, through these gurus, spirits.

i am also aware satan counterfeits the things of God,

so we have accounts in scripture of what happened when believers where filled with the Holy Spirit,

And God says in the end times he will pour out his spirit,

and what may take place during these out pourings of Gods spirit,

though as mentioned to, God sending a strong delusion, during this time, many will be deceived who have not believed , rejected Gods truth and priceless Gift of salvation,

through our Lord Jesus Christ.

but so strong is the delusion, even the elect could be taken in, if they are not aware, alert, on guard.

We see Jesus to approached by people proclaiming all manner of things they have done in his name.

and Jesus telling them to depart, from him, you wicked and accursed,

I never knew you.

so on this whole question of what i am seeing hearing, many Christians caught up in this movement, or the emerging churches,

i am seeking God for his wisdom, his discernment, asking for under standing,

because some of what i am seeing hearing not all, i may add, is troubling me,

i do not know if i could at this time endorse, to family friends people i care about,

and say this is from God, these men, these ministries are from God.

this spirit is from God.

it may well be im missing some thing , lacking in insight under standing, as to what God is doing in these days.

or it may be , im not and what im seeing hearing is not of God, and is a counterfeit spirit, a deception, that many are being taken in by.

believing its of God.

and having the discernment, to see the wood from the trees, as it were.

Mr Pickles.
Interesting post , has me thinking

Upvote 0