✟89,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said in Matthew 23:

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
10% is a good rule of thumb. Paul did the 10% when he was a Pharisee. After his conversion, he was less legalistic and more flexible, 2 Corinthians 9:

7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
Generally, Jesus said in Matthew 6:

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
Take good financial care of your family. Pay down your debts. Give to your local church. Give to others as well. Look to your heart. Do you spend your money on your selfish purchases or on others who have needs?

Also, saving money in the bank or investing it in the stock market is okay until an opportune time. We are to give everything, our time and money, to Jesus. I have been practicing this since I called myself a Christian decades ago :)

Is tithing important?

Yes, but in the meantime, don't forget justice, mercy, and faithfulness.

Reactions: AlexB23

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟73,458.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say all we own is God's - so we're accountable to how we spend anything.

The 10% rule appeared in various forms as part of the Torah and technically was for Israel only. Paul does not mention tithing at all to Gentile believers - although I would encourage giving generously still because the principle is still that everything belongs to God.

I do find it quite hilarious that so many Evangelical churches are quite explicit and vocal on tithing (a Torah instruction) while completely ignoring the way more important Sabbath instruction which was even part of the 10 words/commandments.

Personally I don't have a problem which churches/congregations that encourage believers to give at least 10% to God, but it's outright suspicious when they do so while emphasizing those 10% should be given to them.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

10% is a good rule of thumb. Paul did the 10% when he was a Pharisee. After his conversion, he was less legalistic and more flexible, 2 Corinthians 9:

Take good financial care of your family. Pay down your debts. Give to your local church. Give to others as well. Look to your heart. Do you spend your money on your selfish purchases or on others who have needs?

Also, saving money in the bank or investing it in the stock market is okay until an opportune time. We are to give everything, our time and money, to Jesus. I have been practicing this since I called myself a Christian decades ago :)

Is tithing important?

Well, this afternoon after work, I will make a post about giving and tithing, using relevant Bible verses in the VERs/VESr format below (v = verse, e = explanation, rs = relevance to society). I am not sure if others have used this format before, but it helps me understand scripture better.

DateToday's date
VerseThe verses
ExplanationThe explanation
Societal RelevanceThe relevance to ourselves living in modern society, and to other believers.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is tithing important?

Alright, here is my Bible study on tithing. Hopefully it works.

Date
April 30, 2024​
Verse
Matthew 23:23 (NIV): "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."

2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV): "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."​
Explanation
Matthew 23:23 is a passage from the New Testament in which Jesus rebukes the teachers of the law and Pharisees for their hypocrisy. They were scrupulously following the minor aspects of the Jewish law, such as tithing spices, but neglecting the more important parts like justice, mercy, and faithfulness. Jesus was emphasizing the importance of prioritizing love, compassion, and righteousness over rigid adherence to rules and regulations.
2 Corinthians 9:7, on the other hand, is a passage that encourages giving to God and others willingly and joyfully. The emphasis here is not on the percentage or amount of the gift but rather on the attitude and motivation behind it. God loves a cheerful giver suggests that giving should be an expression of gratitude, joy, and generosity, not a duty or an obligation.

In summary, Matthew 23:23 encourages us to prioritize love, compassion, and righteousness over rigid adherence to rules, while 2 Corinthians 9:7 emphasizes the importance of giving willingly and joyfully. These verses do not prescribe a specific percentage or amount, but rather offer guidance for how we should approach giving in our daily lives.​
Societal Relevance
In modern society, these verses can serve as a reminder that our giving should be motivated by love and compassion, rather than legalistic adherence to rules or financial obligation. While the Old Testament law did require a tithe (10%), Jesus' teachings in Matthew 23:23 and other parts of the New Testament emphasize the importance of prioritizing love, mercy, and justice. Therefore, some people choose to tithe, while others give as they are able based on their personal circumstances and convictions.

For choosing between giving to a church or charity, both options can be valid depending on one's priorities and circumstances. Some people may feel called to support their local church through regular giving, while others may prefer to donate to charities that align with their values and address specific needs. If one feels uncomfortable giving to a church (as some churches may abuse the funds for monetary gain or have inadequate programs for serving the poor), there are a lot of charities with high ratings which can help those in need, both locally and globally.

For instance, One Tree Planted (One Tree Planted | Tree Planting Non-Profit: One Dollar, One Tree) helps plant trees in areas where deforestation has ruined the landscape, such as in Sub-Saharan Africa or Central America. Another organization, Keep Wisconsin Cool/Warm fund (Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund - HOME) keeps the lights, heat and A/C on for people in a tight financial situation who can not afford energy otherwise. Ultimately, the decision should be guided by a desire to make a positive impact on others and to give willingly and joyfully.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟71,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd say all we own is God's - so we're accountable to how we spend anything.

The 10% rule appeared in various forms as part of the Torah and technically was for Israel only. Paul does not mention tithing at all to Gentile believers - although I would encourage giving generously still because the principle is still that everything belongs to God.

I do find it quite hilarious that so many Evangelical churches are quite explicit and vocal on tithing (a Torah instruction) while completely ignoring the way more important Sabbath instruction which was even part of the 10 words/commandments.

Personally I don't have a problem which churches/congregations that encourage believers to give at least 10% to God, but it's outright suspicious when they do so while emphasizing those 10% should be given to them.
Many justify tithing on the basis of Abraham giving a tenth before the law, but it was not ongoing. I am glad Christ set us free, just give cheerfully as the Holy Spirit and NT leads. To others in need, to those that teach the word, and those that evangelize. 5% of church members tithe, more than 50% live under some sort of condemnation for a lack of giving. I once counseled someone that was under such duress on tithing from her church that she was contemplating suicide. Overcharging contemporary ministers are like Eli's sons in I Samuel 2. There is a point of excess.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many justify tithing on the basis of Abraham giving a tenth before the law, but it was not ongoing. I am glad Christ set us free, just give cheerfully as the Holy Spirit and NT leads. To others in need, to those that teach the word, and those that evangelize. 5% of church members tithe, more than 50% live under some sort of condemnation for a lack of giving. I once counseled someone that was under such duress on tithing from her church that she was contemplating suicide. Overcharging contemporary ministers are like Eli's sons in I Samuel 2. There is a point of excess.
Yeah, it is sad why people are forced to tithe. We must give out of our own volition and cheer. Thank you for counseling the woman who was under duress.

• Agree
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abraham "tithed" according to the secular law of the land, which was later codified in the Code of Hammurabi: When a man earned a profit on another man's land, he owned the landowner 10% of whatever he had gained on that land. Abraham tithed according to that law.

There is an important point to note about man's tithing law: Money flowed upward, from the man working the land to the landowner, from the poorer to the richer. Any time "tithing" has poorer people giving money to richer people, that is man's tithe law.

God redefined "tithe." God actually reversed the flow in His definition of the tithe. God's tithe was a giant national pot luck dinner. Those who had more were required to share with those who had less. The man who had 100 animals brought ten to the pot luck. The man who had ten animals brought one to the pot luck. The man who had fewer than ten animals brought nothing...he just came and ate. The Levites received tithes because they had no land of their own from which to make a gain...they were set to be "poorer" as an entire tribe.

When the Apostles were teaching and writing, remember that Jews were still tithing at the temple in Jerusalem according to the Law. If the Apostles had meant for Christians to tithe, they would have directed them to tithe in Jerusalem like the Jews were doing.

God has never redefined the tithe. The tithe is today exactly as God specified it in the Mosaic Law. He has never redefined it. Jews today understand that, which is why modern Jews do not tithe. They don't do anything called "tithing" because they know they can't do it according to the Law.

That concept simply doesn't apply to Christians. Paul identifies the giving concept that applies to Christians:

For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. It is not our intention that others may be relieved while you are burdened, but that there may be equality. At the present time, your surplus will meet their need, so that in turn their surplus will meet your need. Then there will be equality. As it is written:

“He who gathered much had no excess, and he who gathered little had no shortfall.”
-- 2 Corinthians 8

Notice a couple of things: First, the guiding principle is equality. Paul even says it twice. Then, second, Paul maps the economy of the Church to the economy of Israel in the wilderness.

Not Israel in the Promised Land, which is when the Mosaic tithe law was applied. Israel did not tithe until they were in the Promised Land. While they were in the wilderness, they were on the "manna economy." God provided them overall with a day's amount of food (the "daily bread" referenced by Jesus). God had stipulated that each would get a specific equal amount...God had commanded equality. They all gathered the manna, some individuals gathering more than that amount, some individuals gathering less than that amount, but then they measured it out so that each got the equal amount God had stipulated, despite the differing amounts individuals had gathered.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abraham "tithed" according to the secular law of the land, which was later codified in the Code of Hammurabi: When a man earned a profit on another man's land, he owned the landowner 10% of whatever he had gained on that land. Abraham tithed according to that law.

There is an important point to note about man's tithing law: Money flowed upward, from the man working the land to the landowner, from the poorer to the richer. Any time "tithing" has poorer people giving money to richer people, that is man's tithe law.

God redefined "tithe." God actually reversed the flow in His definition of the tithe. God's tithe was a giant national pot luck dinner. Those who had more were required to share with those who had less. The man who had 100 animals brought ten to the pot luck. The man who had ten animals brought one to the pot luck. The man who had fewer than ten animals brought nothing...he just came and ate. The Levites received tithes because they had no land of their own from which to make a gain...they were set to be "poorer" as an entire tribe.

When the Apostles were teaching and writing, remember that Jews were still tithing at the temple in Jerusalem according to the Law. If the Apostles had meant for Christians to tithe, they would have directed them to tithe in Jerusalem like the Jews were doing.

God has never redefined the tithe. The tithe is today exactly as God specified it in the Mosaic Law. He has never redefined it. Jews today understand that, which is why modern Jews do not tithe. They don't do anything called "tithing" because they know they can't do it according to the Law.

That concept simply doesn't apply to Christians. Paul identifies the giving concept that applies to Christians:

For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. It is not our intention that others may be relieved while you are burdened, but that there may be equality. At the present time, your surplus will meet their need, so that in turn their surplus will meet your need. Then there will be equality. As it is written:

“He who gathered much had no excess, and he who gathered little had no shortfall.”
-- 2 Corinthians 8

Notice a couple of things: First, the guiding principle is equality. Paul even says it twice. Then, second, Paul maps the economy of the Church to the economy of Israel in the wilderness.

Not Israel in the Promised Land, which is when the Mosaic tithe law was applied. Israel did not tithe until they were in the Promised Land. While they were in the wilderness, they were on the "manna economy." God provided them overall with a day's amount of food (the "daily bread" referenced by Jesus). God had stipulated that each would get a specific equal amount...God had commanded equality. They all gathered the manna, some individuals gathering more than that amount, some individuals gathering less than that amount, but then they measured it out so that each got the equal amount God had stipulated, despite the differing amounts individuals had gathered.
By the way, for those who haven't brushed up on history, the Code of Hammurabi was an ancient set of laws written ~1700 BC for Babylon: https://f5webserv.wright.edu/~christopher.oldstone-moore/Hamm.htm

Some of the laws in that code are a little harsh for modern standards.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, for those who haven't brushed up on history, the Code of Hammurabi was an ancient set of laws written ~1700 BC for Babylon: https://f5webserv.wright.edu/~christopher.oldstone-moore/Hamm.htm

Some of the laws in that code are a little harsh for modern standards.
One of the most significant differences between the Code of Hammurabi and the Mosaic Law (there are a number of similar points) is that the Mosaic Law introduces the concept of "equality of persons under the law."

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the most significant differences between the Code of Hammurabi and the Mosaic Law (there are a number of similar points) is that the Mosaic Law introduces the concept of "equality of persons under the law."
Interesting stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums