Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would just like to go on record and once more state that I think Genesis 24 tells the story of the greatest arranged-marriage love story of all time. Sure Abraham's servant was sent out to find a wife for Isaac in his place, but did Rebekah not come along willingly and seemingly quite happily, and it seemed that the instant the two's eyes met in the field when the servant's party returned with Rebekah, they were bonded for life. ^-^

DAY 14
Genesis 28
Genesis 29
Matthew 8
There's some good sermons out there on that for singles, even in a non-arranged marriage culture!

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,011,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 11
Psalms 131

I would venture that the thematic connection of these last two readings is of general humility, such that one is driven to seek the Lord, anyway. Where Jesus says at the end of Matthew 11, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (NIV), we must trust in that to the end, in spite of every storm that may come at us. Over the years I couldn't help but come to think that even the most seemingly shallow, callous, and boorish among our fellow humans, are too actually seeking something beyond themselves, but may not even be self-aware of the fact enough to admit it, but they just know, somewhere in a small part of their hearts, that something in life is wrong or missing, and they want to find it. They want to make things right, but they just don't know how and where to go ... yet. Perhaps, one day, they shall find that peace and fulfillment in Jesus Christ, too. Some humans - and I say this with genuine reflection and no personal judgment upon anyone else - just may not see what we believers have seen yet. But one day, perhaps we all will. May the Lord make it so. Where everyone will find the one, true, ultimate Source of peace, to right all of the wrongs that exist within all of us.

I never before made heads or tails of this earlier passage, either, at 11:16-24, where Jesus says,
"To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:
"`We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.'
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, `He has a demon.'
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, `Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."
Then Jesus began to denounce the cities in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent.
"Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you.
And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.
But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you."

And now I wonder if this was an indictment against those who exhibited and have the spirit of the exact opposite of the kind of humility that I mentioned earlier.
Where He said, "To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:
"`We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.'
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, `He has a demon.'
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, `Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."' But wisdom is proved right by her actions"
, I wonder if Jesus was saying that such folk as these are the type who are determined to see evil in every action of those humans who are different than them, outside of their box, their circle, their world, even if said actions are opposed to one another (for example, here John came "neither eating nor drinking", and then Jesus came doing just that, and yet some people still apparently saw both men as doing evil in some way), and at least one of them is obviously an action of pure good. There were people like the Pharisees, after all, who refused to see even the fundamental good in Jesus' miracles of healing that He'd already performed for many by this point in the gospel according to Matthew. No, instead, they believed that somehow, some way this Man was up to no good (some even said to themselves that He was harnessing the power of demons! How absurd!), and certainly that there was no way He could be the prophesied Son of God come to save mankind. And really, that must be the strongest and most vile form of pride, to be determined to see absolutely no form of Good no matter what.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,011,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep up the good work @SarahsKnight and the good fight! I hope your day is fantastic whatever it has in store for you.

Your encouragement will always be appreciated, Miss Sampa. *salutes*

• Friendly
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,011,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you all will allow me another "day" to catch up, we will skip today.

But right quick, while I am in the middle of the story of Joseph and his brothers reuniting in Genesis 42 through 45, while I never had a guess as to why Joseph played along with them not recognizing him for three whole chapters (even considering their grievous sin against him in both wanting to kill him and actually selling him into slavery to Egypt, I cannot imagine Joseph with being the kind of person to play around with them for a while in the harsh manner that he did before revealing himself, as an act of revenge), I do love how he forgave Reuben, Simeon, and the rest of his brothers and all this time had actually seemed overjoyed to the point of tears in seeing them again during their first meeting when they all came to him in Egypt to buy from his surplus of food/grain during the years of famine ... when the last time he had seen them years before, they'd thrown him in a well and nearly left him to die, settling on selling him as a slave!

4 And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt.

5 And now be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.

6 For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and there are yet five years, in which there shall be neither plowing nor harvest.

7 And God sent me before you to preserve you a remnant in the earth, and to save you alive by a great deliverance.

8 So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and ruler over all the land of Egypt.

9 Haste ye, and go up to my father, and say unto him, Thus saith thy son Joseph, God hath made me lord of all Egypt: come down unto me, tarry not; 10 and thou shalt dwell in the land of Goshen, and thou shalt be near unto me, thou, and thy children, and thy children's children, and thy flocks, and thy herds, and all that thou hast: 11 and there will I nourish thee; for there are yet five years of famine; lest thou come to poverty, thou, and thy household, and all that thou hast.

12 And, behold, your eyes see, and the eyes of my brother Benjamin, that it is my mouth that speaketh unto you.

13 And ye shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that ye have seen: and ye shall haste and bring down my father hither.

14 And he fell upon his brother Benjamin's neck, and wept; and Benjamin wept upon his neck.

15 And he kissed all his brethren, and wept upon them: and after that his brethren talked with him.

16 And the report thereof was heard in Pharaoh's house, saying, Joseph's brethren are come: and it pleased Pharaoh well, and his servants.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟126,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
DAY 28

Genesis 48
Genesis 49
Matthew 22
May your Bible readings edify and bless you! End of Genesis is probably my favorite part of the book. It's amazing how God used Joseph.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0