Someone from the Tahoe region
Apr 6, 2010
✟15,368.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Few more questions,

1) My wife and I are reading a book about being an American coming over to Australia. One of the things they mention is not to drink and drive. I don't drink so its' a nil issue but I was curious what makes it so bad to drive intoxicated over there? We are supposed to have relatively strict DUI laws but they don't seem to be very effective.

2) Do visiting dignitaries gain any kind of "diplomatic immunity" when in Australia, or is that just an American thing?

3) Anyone have any suggestions for decent hotels in Sydney, also ones to avoid would just as welcomed.

Upvote 0

Victorium

Oct 21, 2009
Perth.
✟17,488.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Few more questions,

1) I don't drink so its' a nil issue but I was curious what makes it so bad to drive intoxicated over there? We are supposed to have relatively strict DUI laws but they don't seem to be very effective.

2) Do visiting dignitaries gain any kind of "diplomatic immunity" when in Australia, or is that just an American thing?

3) Anyone have any suggestions for decent hotels in Sydney, also ones to avoid would just as welcomed.

What makes it so bad to drive intoxicated over here is because it causes death and injury. Drink driving is almost a world wide problem and Australia is just proactive in trying to reduce accidents due to people who drive while intoxicated. According to Wikipedia the United States has more deaths per capita for drink driving than Australia. Personally I don't think the Australian Judiciary go far enough in dealing with repeat offenders.

Diplomatic Immunity is international law and recognized and adhered to by all members of the United Nations of which Australia is one.

Can't answer question 3 as I live in Perth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Australia actually changed the law so diplomatic immunity did not exist anymore. This was because of complaints about diplomatic vechiles breaking road rules and not being punished like everybody else. However while the law changed in practice it is only if they do something really bad that they are pulled up. That comes from a friend of mine who works at the american embassy here.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Few more questions,

1) My wife and I are reading a book about being an American coming over to Australia. One of the things they mention is not to drink and drive. I don't drink so its' a nil issue but I was curious what makes it so bad to drive intoxicated over there? We are supposed to have relatively strict DUI laws but they don't seem to be very effective.
Information about drink driving (as we call it) can be found here

However I'm not sure if there's a national standard.

Diplomats can claim diplomatic immunity. They don't have to. Visiting 'dignitaries' may not be able to claim it.

I remember an SMH article in the 80s that did a survey of the diplomatic missions and what they claimed immunity for. An Egyptian did so over rape. Some did over driving/traffic offences. The Vatican City made no claims of diplomatic immunity.

Thus you might even be a diplomat and your state might waive the right to claim diplomatic immunity.

There's a table here that concerns what the US grants. It could help as a guide. You'll note that not all staff of a mission are covered.

If you've a legal mind the Act concerned can be found here

Can't help you there

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟232,590.00
Faith
Christian
Few more questions,

1) My wife and I are reading a book about being an American coming over to Australia. One of the things they mention is not to drink and drive. I don't drink so its' a nil issue but I was curious what makes it so bad to drive intoxicated over there? We are supposed to have relatively strict DUI laws but they don't seem to be very effective..

The laws here are strict and there are a lot of random checks on drivers so people do get caught.

Depends on your price range and where you want to stay. If you're thinking of staying longer-term then serviced apartments might be a better option.

Here's a few websites to try - I can help with location, availability of transport etc. Not so much with quality as I don't use hotels here. I'd probably use the ratings on the site.

Sydney Accommodation - Holiday House & Apartment Rentals - Stayz

Last minute hotels: Compare & save up to 70% on 50,000+ hotels. at lastminute.com.au

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your help, Trogz I will probably be asking you a few more questions a little later. Especially about actual distance and travel time.
131500 Transport Infoline - Home is a govt website where you can type in your starting point and destination and it will give info on what bus or train to catch as well as how long it will take. Certainly ask Trogz as well for good local perspective. I have been gone too long from Sydney to be much help. Generally despite what many say the trains are very good so living close to a train line is helpful.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
131500 Transport Infoline - Home is a govt website where you can type in your starting point and destination and it will give info on what bus or train to catch as well as how long it will take. Certainly ask Trogz as well for good local perspective. I have been gone too long from Sydney to be much help. Generally despite what many say the trains are very good so living close to a train line is helpful.

I live in Sydney.

Trains are generally very good but tend to be city orientated, in that most lines take you into the city, or back again. So for instance I know people who live in the Sutherland Shire who work in Parramatta and they have to go into the city (at least to Redfern) before they can start heading back out again.*

The trains are very good except when it's very hot or it rains very heavily.

Not all train carriages have air conditioning. Air con might even be absent on the same train that has air con in other carriages. If it's hot I always avoid a train with open windows - open windows means no air-con. Air con carriages have either solid glass windows, or their windows have been fixed closed.

Trains are generally fast and prompt but can be exceptionally crowded in peak times. Crowded in the morning heading into the city. In the afternoons heading out.

There's a specialty Airport Line from the airport to the city - run as a private concern and slightly more expensive than the rest of the network, which is still owned by the people.

There's limited services late at night on all lines due to personal safety concerns.

There's heaps of ticket inspectors and it seems that CityRail's main concern is collections of monies rather than clean uncrowded trains.

*-even 'cross-city' connections such as the Cumberland Line - linking Sydney's south-western suburbs (Campbeltown, Liverpool, Faifield) with the west (Parramatta, Blacktown) runs hardly any services at all. I think it's only 2 or four in the morning.

Another attempt at a 'cross-city' connection was meant to link Chatswood to Epping to Carlingford to Parramatta but only links Chatswood to Epping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Trains are generally very good but tend to be city orientated, in that most lines take you into the city, or back again. So for instance I know people who live in the Sutherland Shire who work in Parramatta and they have to go into the city (at least to Redfern) before they can start heading back out again.*
basically the same wherever you go. The majority do go into or close to the city that it makes sense to have trains going through there. Some lines have a 5 minute frequency in peak so you don't need a timetable.

The trains are very good except when it's very hot or it rains very heavily.

Not all train carriages have air conditioning. Air con might even be absent on the same train that has air con in other carriages. If it's hot I always avoid a train with open windows - open windows means no air-con. Air con carriages have either solid glass windows, or their windows have been fixed closed.
Yeah I noticed this on my recent trip to sydney

Trains are generally fast and prompt but can be exceptionally crowded in peak times. Crowded in the morning heading into the city. In the afternoons heading out.
This is true of all cities. While companies are obsessed with having people travel into work when they could easily work from home this will continue to happen. For some reason companies are stupid enough to think if you are in the office you can't sit around and do nothing while believing there is no way to track work at home. Both are very wrong beliefs.

There's limited services late at night on all lines due to personal safety concerns.
Lets not forget about nightride services where they have buses to replace trains between midnight and dawn (although the two do overlap especially on friday and saturday nights). These run along every suburban train line making every train line 24 hours. A return train ticket (from the day before) or a weekly will allow you to travel on these services

There's heaps of ticket inspectors and it seems that CityRail's main concern is collections of monies rather than clean uncrowded trains.
Although the number of people who did not buy tickets when I lived in sydney was staggering. It seems to be an acceptable part of the culture to dodge train fares which if tickets were purchased could add millions of dollars (almost $9 million last financial year). That money could be put to good use. I reckon they should do what they have done in queensland if they don't already. Fines are sent to state debt collection. They have the power to cancel your drivers license and vechile registration and seize assets to recover money if you don't pay.

Another attempt at a 'cross-city' connection was meant to link Chatswood to Epping to Carlingford to Parramatta but only links Chatswood to Epping.
because it was decided it was too expensive. Perhaps if they had done something about it when it was first mentioned then it would have been finacially feasable.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
basically the same wherever you go. The majority do go into or close to the city that it makes sense to have trains going through there. Some lines have a 5 minute frequency in peak so you don't need a timetable.
Various labor governments have implemented policies of decentralisation, thus for instance there's a justice precinct at Parramatta with the state's Attorney General's department moved there from the city.

The ATO built a large tax office at Parramatta too.

Liverpool and Fairfield are also areas of decentralisation.

If you live in the Shire, or the Northern Beaches and you want to go to work by public transport in any of these places you've got a long trip.

(This is apart from the regionalistic policies of decentralisation where government departments have moved out of Sydney)

I don't know which lines you think have a 5 minute service. The only thing I can think of is if you're at Town Hall and you want to go to Central, there'd be a train that frequent.

Yeah I noticed this on my recent trip to sydney
Trains are still my preferred way of travel, but I do look to which are air-conditioned first
This is true of all cities. While companies are obsessed with having people travel into work when they could easily work from home this will continue to happen. For some reason companies are stupid enough to think if you are in the office you can't sit around and do nothing while believing there is no way to track work at home. Both are very wrong beliefs.
They also encouraged companies to stager start-times, or to introduce flexible working hours so as to spread out when people arrive and leave the city
Lets not forget about nightride services where they have buses to replace trains between midnight and dawn (although the two do overlap especially on friday and saturday nights). These run along every suburban train line making every train line 24 hours. A return train ticket (from the day before) or a weekly will allow you to travel on these services
It takes a long time because Sydney's roads don't readily follow the train lines.

Just to travel from Clyde to Granville by road is difficult, but by train they're not even 1km apart

Although the number of people who did not buy tickets when I lived in sydney was staggering. It seems to be an acceptable part of the culture to dodge train fares which if tickets were purchased could add millions of dollars (almost $9 million last financial year). That money could be put to good use. I reckon they should do what they have done in queensland if they don't already. Fines are sent to state debt collection. They have the power to cancel your drivers license and vechile registration and seize assets to recover money if you don't pay.
I am not against ticket inspectors. However there's much more of them than there are people there to ensure a safe journey.

Did you know Vineyard still doesn't have a staff?

I always imagine that someone going to Vineyard's going to get a ticket to Wynyard

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Victorium

Oct 21, 2009
Perth.
✟17,488.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
...and since you're in Canberra in July - don't worry, it gets warmer. Much warmer....

My God, I remember when I slept in the park there in winter one night. I was fully dressed in my sleeping bag and still nearly froze to death. I can laugh about it now. :D

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
Nightride buses are a bit sad and lonely to travel on. Do yourself a favour and if you're going to get drunk at the pub, stop drinking before the trains stop running. :(

Upvote 0