✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Anybody else a fan of this TV series?

I became curious about the background of the creator of this series, Rod Serling, since many of the episodes he wrote had moral or religious themes. It turns out he was a Jew who converted to Unitarianism at a time when church membership was normative in the US, because his wife wasn't Jewish and they needed a church to go to together (his wife had been Protestant). The preaching at his Unitarian church had an influence on his appreciation of the value of religious symbolism. He also was a WWII veteran (Marine) and saw fierce combat in the Pacific on the Filipino island of Luzon, something that made him detest war and nationalism the rest of his life, and which lead him to seek to become a writer as an outlet for his trauma.

My favorite episode is Night of the Meek, written by Rod Serling in one of the later seasons, and aired December 23, 1960. It's sort of like a much less cynical version of"Bad Santa". Art Carney plays a drunk, Henry Corwin, who lives surrounded by poverty and once a year gets a job as a department store Santa Claus. Drunk at a bar, he makes a wish that "just one Christmas... the meek would inherit the Earth", and then he finds a magic bag that gives people whatever they want. He gives away so many toys, the police end up suspecting he must have stolen them, but then is exonerated when he gives one of the police detectives a bottle of brandy out of the bag. At the end of the episode, he laments having to go back to his ordinary life, and wishes he could be Santa every year. Which of course leads to a Rod Serling type of ending where the camera pans to show a sleigh appearing, pulled by reindeer, upon which Mr. Corwin boards the sleigh and rides away.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Petros2015

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nice! Thanks for the background. I used to watch the old episodes but it has been awhile. I did love the movie which had the child who could do basically anything, thought that was great. Pretty sure it was a remake of an old classic episode that I have never seen in full... found a clip though...

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Nice! Thanks for the background. I used to watch the old episodes but it has been awhile. I did love the movie which had the child who could do basically anything, thought that was great. Pretty sure it was a remake of an old classic episode that I have never seen in full... found a clip though...

That's another great episode, also written by Serling. That particular episode is unnerving because it goes against the notion that children are innocent, but Serling is questioning that by making a child nearly omnipotent, as a result he transforms a small midwestern town into a private hell.

There are two episodes with William Shatner, both are very good. One episode Shatner plays a superstitious man who encounters a fortune telling machine. The other, a nervous flyer who sees a gremlin on the wing of an airplane (and it features a classic Shatner scream).

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's another great episode, also written by Serling. That particular episode is unnerving because it goes against the notion that children are innocent, but Serling is questioning that by making a child nearly omnipotent, as a result he transforms a small midwestern town into a private hell.

There are two episodes with William Shatner, both are very good. One episode Shatner plays a superstitious man who encounters a fortune telling machine. The other, a nervous flyer who sees a gremlin on the wing of an airplane (and it features a classic Shatner scream).
In the movie, John Lithgow reprises Shatner's role. Then for reasons, in the TV series, Third Rock from the Sun, Shatner is Lithgow's boss, the Giant Big Head...

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟616,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Often when a villain shows up "you're a bad man! You're very bad man!" goes through my head. They actually made a sequel to that episode in the new Twilight Zone series with Anthony as an adult played by the same actor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0