Televangelist Jesse Duplantis calls poverty a ‘curse,’ says his wealth is because he’s ‘blessed’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Televangelist and prosperity gospel preacher Jesse Duplantis, who has an estimated net worth of around $20 million, has called poverty a "curse" and says his wealth — which includes a private jet and a 40,000-square-foot mansion in Louisiana — comes from being "blessed" by God.

"Let me give you a prime example why I don't care what people think about me, about what I have. Now look at me. Look at me. I am a very blessed man," Duplantis said in an online "Boardroom Chat" session with his wife, Cathy, earlier this month.

"Me and Cathy are very blessed. I'm spiritually, physically, and financially [blessed]. I've had more people criticize me over that jet. They still can't get over it. Criticize me over my house. They didn't pay for it. I paid for it. Do you understand what I say?" he asked.

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟764,479.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He's not the only one.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Logically speaking,.... to be broke, to be in poverty,...... is certainly not a blessing.

"but what about St. Francis'.

A.) You are not St. Francis

Also.....and Spiritually speaking, the Bible teaches that "poverty, is the destruction of the poor".

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,484,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Logically speaking,.... to be broke, to be in poverty,...... is certainly not a blessing.

"but what about St. Francis'.

A.) You are not St. Francis

Also.....and Spiritually speaking, the Bible teaches that "poverty, is the destruction of the poor".
The very next verse, however, teaches:

The wages of the righteous is life, but the earnings of the wicked are sin and death.

So, the spiritual righteousness of how that wealth was gained counts.

Scripture also teaches:

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, the spiritual righteousness of how that wealth was gained counts.

If we spiritualize all of God's blessings then we can't pay our electric bill.
We can't buy food.
We can't support our family.
We can't get that Iphone and that Macbook or that Car or that Gas to run it.

We can't be HERE, if that internet is not being paid for......

The NT teaches that if you do not take care of your family, you are worse then an unbeliever.

You can't take care of your wife, kids, without enough Money.

This is why the scriptures teach that its GOD who "gives you the power to get wealth".

Consider that if you believe that you should 'tithe and offer",.. that this takes money.

And Jesus said....to help the poor, and they need more then a hug and a "have a nice day".
They need to eat, and to have some clothes.

All of this takes MONEY.

The Church you attend, or will... they need some money to pay that power bill and keep those light on and that AC or Heat on to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

So, MONEY is not the problem, as money is just a tool.

The problem is WITHIN the Heart.... of the person who can't handle money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,484,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we spiritualize all of God's blessings then we can't pay our electric bill.
We can't buy food.
We can't support our family.
We can't get that Iphone and that Macbook or that Car or that Gas to run it.

We can't be HERE, if that internet is not being paid for......

The NT teaches that if you do not take care of your family, you are worse then an unbeliever.

You can't take care of your wife, kids, without enough Money.

This is why the scriptures teach that its GOD who "gives you the power to get wealth".

Consider that if you believe that you should 'tithe and offer",.. that this takes money.

And Jesus said....to help the poor, and they need more then a hug and a "have a nice day".
They need to eat, and to have some clothes.

All of this takes MONEY.

The Church you attend, or will... they need some money to pay that power bill and keep those light on and that AC or Heat on to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

So, MONEY is not the problem, as money is just a tool.

The problem is WITHIN the Heart.... of the person who can't handle money.
None of that addresses my post or the subject of the thread. That's all a response to a different discussion.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of that addresses my post or the subject of the thread. That's all a response to a different discussion.

Thats true.

You posted a Thread that is quoting JDP.
Do you only want responses that say....... "prosperity gospel is bad"?

Ok..

The "prosperity gospel", can be harmful because it can be abused.
Many in the Charismatic-Pentecostal-Word of Faith , movement, have abused an aspect of God's Grace, by teaching it exclusively, and that is harmful, as it can literally created GREED in the heart of a Believer.

What can be equally harmful, is a teaching that is the "Poverty Gospel", which is the teaching that God wants you broke so that your spirituality can be developed.

So, in BOTH cases, this type of Theological pandering to the FLESH<..... is capable of corrupting your understanding of Salvation.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟71,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Televangelist and prosperity gospel preacher Jesse Duplantis, who has an estimated net worth of around $20 million, has called poverty a "curse" and says his wealth — which includes a private jet and a 40,000-square-foot mansion in Louisiana — comes from being "blessed" by God.

"Let me give you a prime example why I don't care what people think about me, about what I have. Now look at me. Look at me. I am a very blessed man," Duplantis said in an online "Boardroom Chat" session with his wife, Cathy, earlier this month.

"Me and Cathy are very blessed. I'm spiritually, physically, and financially [blessed]. I've had more people criticize me over that jet. They still can't get over it. Criticize me over my house. They didn't pay for it. I paid for it. Do you understand what I say?" he asked.

Continued below.
Wealth is more often a curse than a blessing. It enables one to do what our fallen nature wants rather than do what Christ tells us we ought.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,484,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats true.

You posted a Thread that is quoting JDP.
Do you only want responses that say....... "prosperity gospel is bad"?
I quoted Jesus Christ.
The "prosperity gospel", can be harmful because it can be abused.
Many in the Charismatic-Pentecostal-Word of Faith , movement, have abused an aspect of God's Grace, by teaching it exclusively, and that is harmful, as it can literally created GREED in the heart of a Believer.

What can be equally harmful, is a teaching that is the "Poverty Gospel", which is the teaching that God wants you broke so that your spirituality can be developed.

So, in BOTH cases, this type of Theological pandering to the FLESH<..... is capable of corrupting your understanding of Salvation.
For sure, asceticism for the sake of asceticism is fleshly vanity that ultimately has no power. Scripture says as much:

“Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

But we're really talking about greed, gluttony of money. A Christian should be at the head of the blessings chain, not at the tail...the blessings should not end with him.

No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they owned.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟19,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I quoted Jesus Christ.

I quoted Deut 8:18

(He wrote it), and someone wrote it down.

No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they owned.

Do you have a home?
A Car.
Food?
Do you have bills you pay?
Do you have the Internet? Netflix, Cable Tv? A Laptop? A Cell Phone?

See all that ?

You paid money for it.

A.) MONEY

Was it EVIL when you bought all your stuff?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums