Oregon
✟18,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I am in need of some guidance. Our adult daughter is not following Jesus right now and has developed quite a fowl vocabulary which is so shocking to me as it was not something she grew up with but I know that their friends are bad influences in this area. One thing that has really become quite offensive to me is when she will say "Jesus" or "Oh my God", it has really brought me to tears at night just thinking about it and just her walk with God. I feel like I need to say something to her but she is an adult and I pray for her constantly for God to intervene in her life. However is it inappropriate for me to ask her not to say it in our home? She always says it but catches herself because she knows how we feel about it. I'm so hurt.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's appropriate for you to ask her not to use the name of God in swearing in your presence. I suggest "I" language: "The name of God is really important to me, it's sacred to me. I feel really uncomfortable when I hear God's name used like that. Could you avoid doing that around me?"

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Her language use is only symptomatic of her heart condition. You might ask her not to swear in your own home, but it is like asking her not to smoke in the house. It is for your convenience.

The larger problem is that she is probably not a Christian. Most parents who have a child who has rejected their faith knows the pain and heartache you feel.

James says the even just friendship with the world makes one an enemy of God. The key to opening her heart to God will be with prayer and if she can see the value of truth.

Upvote 0