Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Pennsylvania priest was arrested this week after police say he misused tens of thousands of dollars in parish funds to purchase video games.

Father Lawrence Kozak has been on administrative leave in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia since November 2022. The archdiocese told CNA his leave “followed a review of St. Thomas More Parish’s financial activity by the Archdiocesan Office for Parish Services and Support.” Kozak had previously been pastor at the Pottstown, Pennsylvania, parish.

The archdiocesan review “resulted in certain expenses and expenditure levels utilizing parish funds being questioned,” the archdiocese said. After placing the priest on leave, the archdiocese “referred the matter to law enforcement.”

Pennsylvania law enforcement arrested Kozak last week in connection with the allegations. A criminal complaint filed by Pennsylvania State Police alleges that Kozak “used credit cards for the purpose of obtaining property or services using parish funds valued at” more than $41,000.

Continued below.

• Wow
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A Pennsylvania priest was arrested this week after police say he misused tens of thousands of dollars in parish funds to purchase video games.

Father Lawrence Kozak has been on administrative leave in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia since November 2022. The archdiocese told CNA his leave “followed a review of St. Thomas More Parish’s financial activity by the Archdiocesan Office for Parish Services and Support.” Kozak had previously been pastor at the Pottstown, Pennsylvania, parish.

The archdiocesan review “resulted in certain expenses and expenditure levels utilizing parish funds being questioned,” the archdiocese said. After placing the priest on leave, the archdiocese “referred the matter to law enforcement.”

Pennsylvania law enforcement arrested Kozak last week in connection with the allegations. A criminal complaint filed by Pennsylvania State Police alleges that Kozak “used credit cards for the purpose of obtaining property or services using parish funds valued at” more than $41,000.

Continued below.
I have no words to describe how sickening this is, except that churches should never abuse funds, but this is one of the reasons why I do not give to the church cos of lack of transparency, and instead give to charities that are verified to use 80% or more of received donations to help people (and charities that line up with Christian values, such as stewardship or helping the poor).

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟163,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The article does have him claim he didn't realize he was taking it from the parish:

In an interview with law enforcement as part of the investigation, Kozak said he “didn’t realize when he went past the balance on his Apple Card [that] the charges were kicked over to the parish card,” the complaint said.

The priest “expressed that he’s disappointed that he let it get like this and that there’s no excuse except that he wasn’t paying attention and should have been.”

Law enforcement in 2023 met with the new pastor of the Pottstown parish who said that Kozak had paid the parish roughly $41,000 in “reimbursement” after he was put on leave.

“I am so sorry that I made this mistake which has been any source of stress for you,” the priest wrote to the pastor at the time.

Not being familiar with the case outside of what's in the article, I can't say how plausible this explanation actually is. Though apparently he's facing felony theft charges, which I would assume would indicate the police did not find his explanation adequate. At least it looks like he gave the money back.

For those curious, the article says "Among the games purchased using parish funds were Candy Crush, Pokemon GO, and several “slots” games". It's an incredibly large amount; even if I had that kind of money to burn, I don't know if I'd be able to spend all of it on in-game transactions before I ended up getting everything I wanted. Some have spent more, though; there was a video about a guy in Japan who spent more than $70,000 on a single mobile game:

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The article does have him claim he didn't realize he was taking it from the parish:

In an interview with law enforcement as part of the investigation, Kozak said he “didn’t realize when he went past the balance on his Apple Card [that] the charges were kicked over to the parish card,” the complaint said.

The priest “expressed that he’s disappointed that he let it get like this and that there’s no excuse except that he wasn’t paying attention and should have been.”

Law enforcement in 2023 met with the new pastor of the Pottstown parish who said that Kozak had paid the parish roughly $41,000 in “reimbursement” after he was put on leave.

“I am so sorry that I made this mistake which has been any source of stress for you,” the priest wrote to the pastor at the time.

Not being familiar with the case outside of what's in the article, I can't say how plausible this explanation actually is. Though apparently he's facing felony theft charges, which I would assume would indicate the police did not find his explanation adequate. At least it looks like he gave the money back.

For those curious, the article says "Among the games purchased using parish funds were Candy Crush, Pokemon GO, and several “slots” games". It's an incredibly large amount; even if I had that kind of money to burn, I don't know if I'd be able to spend all of it on in-game transactions before I ended up getting everything I wanted. Some have spent more, though; there was a video about a guy in Japan who spent more than $70,000 on a single mobile game:
Still, no excuse for his actions. He needs addiction counseling.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have no words to describe how sickening this is ….
On the scale of sickening this is way down the list. Not at all endorsing it but way down the list.
… except that churches should never abuse funds …
Of course. And the priest should be removed, and convicted, and made to do restitution, and be counseled and reformed, and maybe re-established in ministry.

… but this is one of the reasons why I do not give to the church cos of lack of transparency, and instead give to charities that are verified to use 80% or more of received donations to help people (and charities that line up with Christian values, such as stewardship or helping the poor).

You are supposed to contribute to your parish. It’s not optional if you can at all afford it. And they are supposed to use the money well.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the scale of sickening this is way down the list. Not at all endorsing it but way down the list.

Of course. And the priest should be removed, and convicted, and made to do restitution, and be counseled and reformed, and maybe re-established in ministry.

You are supposed to contribute to your parish. It’s not optional if you can at all afford it. And they are supposed to use the money well.
Yeah, a pervert priest would be the most sickening. At least we both agree that the priest should be convicted and reformed. About contributing to my parish, I should, but I prefer helping people in much more dire circumstances, such as those without electricity or food. But hey, if my parish is transparent, I might start giving some money to them. I will have to do some research.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah, a pervert priest would be the most sickening. At least we both agree that the priest should be convicted and reformed. About contributing to my parish, I should, but I prefer helping people in much more dire circumstances, such as those without electricity or food. But hey, if my parish is transparent, I might start giving some money to them. I will have to do some research.
You should. Kudos about your other giving, but your parish is an obligation if you have any to give.

And if you have concerns you should demand accountability. They have a duty to use contributed money wisely. Most parishes have annual reports filed by CPAs.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You should. Kudos about your other giving, but your parish is an obligation if you have any to give.

And if you have concerns you should demand accountability. They have a duty to use contributed money wisely. Most parishes have annual reports filed by CPAs.
Thanks for the helpful tips.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums