Paperwork filed for gold-mine exploration near North Star Nature Preserve as county eyes land exchange

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟113,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Once again, big companies are at it again, defiling our one planet we live on. Seems that the curse in Isaiah 24:4-6 is from greedy corporations wrecking our planet. Article link: Paperwork filed for gold-mine exploration near North Star Nature Preserve as county eyes land exchange - Aspen Journalism

Isaiah 24:4-6: "The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers, the heavens languish with the earth. The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt. Therefore earth’s inhabitants are burned up, and very few are left."

Short summary of the open-access article by Apen Journalism (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

In an article published on April 28, 2024, in Aspen Journalism by Elizabeth Stewart-Severy, land near the North Star Nature Preserve is being evaluated as a potential site for a gold mine. The area's management plan is being updated by Pitkin County Open Space and Trails, who are also considering a land exchange with the U.S. Forest Service. A local family, the Boyles, have held a mining claim on Forest Service land near the Wildwood Lane put-in for decades and recently filed a notice of intent to conduct mineral exploration for gold. The claim sits on public land used by thousands of paddleboarders and boaters to access the Roaring Fork River and North Star Nature Preserve. If mineral exploration moves forward, a plan of operations and NEPA review would be required. The Boyles family's primary concern is that any land exchange or management changes may not adequately protect the nature preserve, as commercial use has increased and concerns have been raised about the conservation easement's compliance. The county maintains that management plans have been in line with founding documents, but some argue commercial use conflicts with the conservation easement and resource management plan from 2000.

Pitkin County Open Space and Trails is gathering data to update the management plan, which will include public input, and is considering a land exchange with the US Forest Service to improve management efficiency. The Forest Service owns the land at the put-in but may not limit access due to resource limitations, while the county is considering limiting commercial operators and all use to reduce congestion. The Boyles family, who own a mining claim near the put-in, want to ensure they are included in discussions on the land exchange and believe the Forest Service is best suited to manage the area due to potential environmental review requirements. The mining claim, which covers sand and gravel containing gold or other minerals, may undergo exploration using sonic drilling and will include plans for revegetation. The potential land exchange and mining claim developments come as North Star Nature Preserve experiences increased use and concerns about impacts on wildlife habitat and a delicate riparian ecosystem.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,116,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once again, big companies are at it again, defiling our one planet we live on. Seems that the curse in Isaiah 24:4-6 is from greedy corporations wrecking our planet. Article link: Paperwork filed for gold-mine exploration near North Star Nature Preserve as county eyes land exchange - Aspen Journalism

Isaiah 24:4-6: "The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers, the heavens languish with the earth. The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt. Therefore earth’s inhabitants are burned up, and very few are left."

Short summary of the open-access article by Apen Journalism (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

In an article published on April 28, 2024, in Aspen Journalism by Elizabeth Stewart-Severy, land near the North Star Nature Preserve is being evaluated as a potential site for a gold mine. The area's management plan is being updated by Pitkin County Open Space and Trails, who are also considering a land exchange with the U.S. Forest Service. A local family, the Boyles, have held a mining claim on Forest Service land near the Wildwood Lane put-in for decades and recently filed a notice of intent to conduct mineral exploration for gold. The claim sits on public land used by thousands of paddleboarders and boaters to access the Roaring Fork River and North Star Nature Preserve. If mineral exploration moves forward, a plan of operations and NEPA review would be required. The Boyles family's primary concern is that any land exchange or management changes may not adequately protect the nature preserve, as commercial use has increased and concerns have been raised about the conservation easement's compliance. The county maintains that management plans have been in line with founding documents, but some argue commercial use conflicts with the conservation easement and resource management plan from 2000.

Pitkin County Open Space and Trails is gathering data to update the management plan, which will include public input, and is considering a land exchange with the US Forest Service to improve management efficiency. The Forest Service owns the land at the put-in but may not limit access due to resource limitations, while the county is considering limiting commercial operators and all use to reduce congestion. The Boyles family, who own a mining claim near the put-in, want to ensure they are included in discussions on the land exchange and believe the Forest Service is best suited to manage the area due to potential environmental review requirements. The mining claim, which covers sand and gravel containing gold or other minerals, may undergo exploration using sonic drilling and will include plans for revegetation. The potential land exchange and mining claim developments come as North Star Nature Preserve experiences increased use and concerns about impacts on wildlife habitat and a delicate riparian ecosystem.
I live in CO and I hadn't heard about this thanks for posting.

There's a really clever wildlife photo in the article. The photographer got lucky on that one. :)

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟113,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I live in CO and I hadn't heard about this thanks for posting.

There's a really clever wildlife photo in the article. The photographer got lucky on that one. :)
You are welcome. It is fun to cover news that is not in my area. Yes, the photographer for the article seemed patient and skilled from looking at the photos.

Upvote 0