On a scale of 1 to 10 how pointless is this conversation?

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟792,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1 being pointless, 10 being productive.
(or is it 1 being productive, 10 being pointless?)

This is based on a real conversation I had with my dad (I didn't start it by the way. I wouldn't dream of it)

Dad: How can Jesus be GOD?! He never SAID he was God!!!

Me: Well, OK. Suppose Jesus came out and said it directly. Would you believe him?

Dad: No.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well - OK, what's the point of even going back and forth about it then?!

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 being pointless, 10 being productive.
(or is it 1 being productive, 10 being pointless?)

This is based on a real conversation I had with my dad (I didn't start it by the way. I wouldn't dream of it)

Dad: How can Jesus be GOD?! He never SAID he was God!!!

Me: Well, OK. Suppose Jesus came out and said it directly. Would you believe him?

Dad: No.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well - OK, what's the point of even going back and forth about it then?!
Well, as your dad is a Muslim, it is pointless to debate with him, and it is best that you leave him. Show him the Eucharistic miracles, and maybe he will then believe.

Eucharistic miracle article (For ages 15-18+, as flesh from Jesus is shown): Blessed Carlo Acutis Listed 32 Eucharistic Miracles — Here Are the Top 5

• Informative
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟792,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, as your dad is a Muslim, it is pointless to debate with him, and it is best that you leave him. Show him the Eucharistic miracles, and maybe he will then believe.

Eucharistic miracle article (For ages 15-18+, as flesh from Jesus is shown): Blessed Carlo Acutis Listed 32 Eucharistic Miracles — Here Are the Top 5
To be honest, he doesn't qualify as a Muslim. He says he was "born into a Muslim home" and he calls himself Muslim because of that, but he doesn't believe that Muhammad is a true prophet. He even doesn't believe that there is such a thing as prophets. I'm starting to wonder how much he's been faking being a professing Muslim in front of me because of image issues. He still wants me to tell other Muslims that I'm Muslim. He tells others he's a Muslim too.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, he doesn't qualify as a Muslim. He says he was "born into a Muslim home" and he calls himself Muslim because of that, but he doesn't believe that Muhammad is a true prophet. He even doesn't believe that there is such a thing as prophets. I'm starting to wonder how much he's been faking being a professing Muslim in front of me because of image issues. He still wants me to tell other Muslims that I'm Muslim. He tells others he's a Muslim too.
Sounds like your dad is a flaky man. But he is not good for you to be around.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,249,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Call his bluff and tell him he's no Muslim. Does he pray on a prayer mat facing Mecca five times a day? Nope? Not a Muslim. Has he been on the Hajj? Could he afford to go? Not a Muslim if he could afford it but hasn't gone at his age. Did he fast during Ramadan? Nope? Not a Muslim. He doesn't think Mohammad is a prophet? Nope? He's no Muslim. Does he give alms? Nope? He's no Muslim. You are a better Muslim than he is. You are part of the people of the Book. A believer. He's a failed Muslim. An infidel. His relatives might not be pleased to learn what a bad Muslim he is. You aren't the problem as a Catholic. Tell him he can be a Christian. He may as well because he sure isn't a Muslim if he won't practice the five pillars.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟69,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't know if this is going to help:

If your father was raised in a Muslim home he no doubt has a Muslim view of God since that's the view that was modeled in his household.

This makes a difference. Islam has a view of monotheism very closely related Judaism. There is a single God, the God is One.

Islam views the Trinity (and more to the point Christ) as polytheistic blasphemy. The Trinity is a really difficult subject in Monotheistic thought and it took Christians almost 400 years to figure the whole thing out. A Muslim doesn't stand a chance of understanding it unless they are actually studying from an intellectual/historical point of view and your father isn't doing that.

He's going to reject Jesus as God on spec.

Which, to answer your question, makes the conversation beyond pointless, it's contexual-less which may not even be a word but by that I mean you're talking past each other and don't have a common framework to discuss the situation.

I would have time for a conversation like this.

Upvote 0