• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My scrupulosity and others. Its debilitating. Don't know how to fix it.

Joe P.

Jul 21, 2023
Pennsylvania
✟2,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I first started it was just out of the blue. The pope was on Christmas Eve and there it went. Inside a very nasty thing came out about the pope.

For the next 3 months, it was on. My mind would just blurt out nasty things about God and Jesus. I felt so bad. I remember just crying for hours because i did not know what was happening and how to handle it. I fought this for about 17 years before i said a word to anybody about it.

Fast forward to today. I can not go ten minutes without saying something disrespectful about God, Jesus,Heaven,other religious figures and my family. I dont even want to say what comes out. You get the idea. I also do not mean or want to say the disrespectful stuff at all. So now, I am apologizing to God and Jesus and during the apology i either splurge out more bad thoughts, images, bad numbers, comments etc and i have to start over. Man, some days I can do it basically the whole day. Rarely getting a break. If i dont apologize i kinda get the bad stomach feeling and my nerves goes through my body making me a nervous wreck. Only saying the apology right will stop that. My brain knows this and it goes all out to stop me from doing the apology right.

For example, about 10 years ago there was a hockey player named mirslov satan. At the time i was a big hockey fan but not even a saber fan in which he played for. Im from the philly subrubs and like the flyers. Point is it got to the point where it evolved to were I was apologizing and could not get through it bcuz the picture of this guy and uniform would not leave my head. Ohh some long days here apologizing over n over. Then it evolved to i had to say another players name when i was done apologizing to prevent that player to come into my head.

Fast forward to now and this is a mess bcuz now i have all these hockey players in my head that i am no longer allowed to use. For ex, if a players has played or play for the nj devils is elimnated for obvious reasons. A team like the Calgary flames players past or present elimnated for obvious reasons. Anyone who wore number 66 elimnated. Etc. Through the years this began as a way to avoid that first players name and has evolved to almost no nhl player can be used bcuz if i go down the line i find something wrong. Its weird, i have a horrible memory but if i see this negative stuff once I suddenly become a genius remembering what were now against the rules. I do this with nfl players. If a wr ever had a 6 catch for 66 yards i will remember it at some point out of the blue diring apologizing. Songs, i remember i had that song i think its called chop suey, where they say angels must die or something close to that. It was always on the mainstream radio. Also, the ac/dc songs and I don't know who sings it but the songs called running with devil. Now the songs got to the point where i have to play a positive song just so these wont come into my head during apologizing. It helps but its still a battle. As funny as this sounds the song i use alot is who let the dogs out. I need something catchy.

As you can imagine after I blurt out disrespectful things inside like i have turret syndrome, i immediately apologize and something from this post will constantly come into my head making me start over and having a long day. There is even more things that i battle with. I can write a book there so many.

Lastly, and im skipping alot of things, my head is messing with me in a weird way. Whatever I think, it takes the opposite view. The big one is if theres God, Jesus and Heaven and I believe in that but if something bad is on the news my head will start with theres no God. Then, i have to go to google and write why do bad things happen. Eventually, ill get a good answer and can close the case. Then, I see scientists say some things on how the universe was made and im like theres no way the universe could of had all these laws and things randomly happening like I believe an electron and a neutron are the exact weight to make stars and if its a bit more or less there would be nothing in the universe. Dont quote me on that. But my head starts playing with me and says " this is how it started and not from God." More research to do until i find a good answer that convinces me. I also been through it with the multiverse, simulation theory and hawkings saying theres no God. My head has a field day. Now, im researching until i get the right answers that convince me. You cant really find info on hawkings bcuz that was his belief. What scares me with him was i know he was pretty smart. My head has a field day. Theres more but you get the idea. Funny thing is, these things repeat. I have looked up all of this stuff so many times to sooth my mind. What happens is after i find convincing evidence a few months down the road ill see something again about what i looked up and the whole process starts over. Never ending story.

I dont know how i forgot to put this in but any religious pictures, bibles, tv shows about religion and any religious item is an absolute field day for my head. I go off again for no reason whatsoever and i have to stand st the picture and apologize to it. Problem is with all these things i already mentioned and even more that I haven't, one of them goes through my head at the time. This is tough bcuz you have to hide it from the people you live with.

What do you think. Do you consider my scrupulosity really bad. Its really debilitating. Im at the point in life were all my happiness has been drained with this battle. I also suffer from other stuff like noticing every breath you take and your afraid your gonna mess it up, back when the mayans supposedly predicted the end of the world (that was a tough 6 years thinking theres no future left) plus other end of the world stuff too, and I also suffer from other stuff. I have been diagnosed with ocd, anxiety and depression. I go to therapy but this stuff is so hard to talk about face to face that i dont even bring up the scrupulosity but now it has a name and i can bring it up next time. I doubt they can do anything for me. I think im way too far gone. Putting all this stuff together in this last paragraph i think at times i suffer from something like miltary ps and i forget the rest. My body is in constant shock and nervousness. I was scared to death so many times that im jumpy and nervous.

Thats my depressing story. I haven't told but a couple people. Any suggestions to get better. Thanks. Joe

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Any suggestions to get better.
Put it under the Blood of Jesus. Be washed and cleansed in the Blood. Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb: that they may have a right to the tree of life, and may enter in by the gates into the city.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟145,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I first started it was just out of the blue. The pope was on Christmas Eve and there it went. Inside a very nasty thing came out about the pope.

For the next 3 months, it was on. My mind would just blurt out nasty things about God and Jesus. I felt so bad. I remember just crying for hours because i did not know what was happening and how to handle it. I fought this for about 17 years before i said a word to anybody about it.

Fast forward to today. I can not go ten minutes without saying something disrespectful about God, Jesus,Heaven,other religious figures and my family. I dont even want to say what comes out. You get the idea. I also do not mean or want to say the disrespectful stuff at all. So now, I am apologizing to God and Jesus and during the apology i either splurge out more bad thoughts, images, bad numbers, comments etc and i have to start over. Man, some days I can do it basically the whole day. Rarely getting a break. If i dont apologize i kinda get the bad stomach feeling and my nerves goes through my body making me a nervous wreck. Only saying the apology right will stop that. My brain knows this and it goes all out to stop me from doing the apology right.

For example, about 10 years ago there was a hockey player named mirslov satan. At the time i was a big hockey fan but not even a saber fan in which he played for. Im from the philly subrubs and like the flyers. Point is it got to the point where it evolved to were I was apologizing and could not get through it bcuz the picture of this guy and uniform would not leave my head. Ohh some long days here apologizing over n over. Then it evolved to i had to say another players name when i was done apologizing to prevent that player to come into my head.

Fast forward to now and this is a mess bcuz now i have all these hockey players in my head that i am no longer allowed to use. For ex, if a players has played or play for the nj devils is elimnated for obvious reasons. A team like the Calgary flames players past or present elimnated for obvious reasons. Anyone who wore number 66 elimnated. Etc. Through the years this began as a way to avoid that first players name and has evolved to almost no nhl player can be used bcuz if i go down the line i find something wrong. Its weird, i have a horrible memory but if i see this negative stuff once I suddenly become a genius remembering what were now against the rules. I do this with nfl players. If a wr ever had a 6 catch for 66 yards i will remember it at some point out of the blue diring apologizing. Songs, i remember i had that song i think its called chop suey, where they say angels must die or something close to that. It was always on the mainstream radio. Also, the ac/dc songs and I don't know who sings it but the songs called running with devil. Now the songs got to the point where i have to play a positive song just so these wont come into my head during apologizing. It helps but its still a battle. As funny as this sounds the song i use alot is who let the dogs out. I need something catchy.

As you can imagine after I blurt out disrespectful things inside like i have turret syndrome, i immediately apologize and something from this post will constantly come into my head making me start over and having a long day. There is even more things that i battle with. I can write a book there so many.

Lastly, and im skipping alot of things, my head is messing with me in a weird way. Whatever I think, it takes the opposite view. The big one is if theres God, Jesus and Heaven and I believe in that but if something bad is on the news my head will start with theres no God. Then, i have to go to google and write why do bad things happen. Eventually, ill get a good answer and can close the case. Then, I see scientists say some things on how the universe was made and im like theres no way the universe could of had all these laws and things randomly happening like I believe an electron and a neutron are the exact weight to make stars and if its a bit more or less there would be nothing in the universe. Dont quote me on that. But my head starts playing with me and says " this is how it started and not from God." More research to do until i find a good answer that convinces me. I also been through it with the multiverse, simulation theory and hawkings saying theres no God. My head has a field day. Now, im researching until i get the right answers that convince me. You cant really find info on hawkings bcuz that was his belief. What scares me with him was i know he was pretty smart. My head has a field day. Theres more but you get the idea. Funny thing is, these things repeat. I have looked up all of this stuff so many times to sooth my mind. What happens is after i find convincing evidence a few months down the road ill see something again about what i looked up and the whole process starts over. Never ending story.

I dont know how i forgot to put this in but any religious pictures, bibles, tv shows about religion and any religious item is an absolute field day for my head. I go off again for no reason whatsoever and i have to stand st the picture and apologize to it. Problem is with all these things i already mentioned and even more that I haven't, one of them goes through my head at the time. This is tough bcuz you have to hide it from the people you live with.

What do you think. Do you consider my scrupulosity really bad. Its really debilitating. Im at the point in life were all my happiness has been drained with this battle. I also suffer from other stuff like noticing every breath you take and your afraid your gonna mess it up, back when the mayans supposedly predicted the end of the world (that was a tough 6 years thinking theres no future left) plus other end of the world stuff too, and I also suffer from other stuff. I have been diagnosed with ocd, anxiety and depression. I go to therapy but this stuff is so hard to talk about face to face that i dont even bring up the scrupulosity but now it has a name and i can bring it up next time. I doubt they can do anything for me. I think im way too far gone. Putting all this stuff together in this last paragraph i think at times i suffer from something like miltary ps and i forget the rest. My body is in constant shock and nervousness. I was scared to death so many times that im jumpy and nervous.

Thats my depressing story. I haven't told but a couple people. Any suggestions to get better. Thanks. Joe
Thank you so much for reaching out, and sharing your struggles! May I ask what kind of therapy you are getting? There are specific therapies for OCD, which I can explain more about if you haven't heard of them.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Joe P.

Jul 21, 2023
Pennsylvania
✟2,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the prayers and quotes from the Bible. I definitely don't feel worthy because I do not know if I deserve it.

One of the problems with scrupulosity is that its in my head for so much of the day and has been for so many years, that I need a break. I'm overwhelmed and I usually never get one. For ex, not your bible quotes but in general, when there available to read and I see them, i dont feel like it because im already so overworked in my head and i dont want to add any more. Its like if you play a song over and over everyday for 20 yrs and you can hit the song again online, you probably won't want to. I know its a bad example. I hope you know wbat I mean. I dont want to be like that.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,008,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To @Joe P. ,

I know this might not seem like much help, but, this song from my collection came up on my phone a little while ago and it made me think of you and the struggle you have revealed in this thread. I hope it can at least do something to easy your burdens if you happen to be feeling them strongly today, even if just for today (because unfortunately, OCD being what it is by its very nature, your scrupulosity will always manage to return with a fresh vengeance :( ) ->

Remember, as hard as it is to feel like you believe this when suffering from scrupulosity: God is for you, and not against you. I really am sorry that you carry this burden, especially for seventeen years as I believed you said in your OP post. I know from experience myself how hurtful and debilitating it is. But even so, I believe He is with you.

One of the problems with scrupulosity is that its in my head for so much of the day and has been for so many years, that I need a break. I'm overwhelmed and I usually never get one. For ex, not your bible quotes but in general, when there available to read and I see them, i dont feel like it because im already so overworked in my head and i dont want to add any more. Its like if you play a song over and over everyday for 20 yrs and you can hit the song again online, you probably won't want to. I know its a bad example. I hope you know wbat I mean. I dont want to be like that.

I definitely hear that.

Upvote 0

Joe P.

Jul 21, 2023
Pennsylvania
✟2,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sarahknight, thank you for your post and video. I watched the video and again i wanna say thank you.

Scrupulosity is tough. Especially, coming from a person (me) who will grind my teeth to the last second until i would get help. Thank you so much again for your time and effort.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My scrupulosity and others. Its debilitating. Don't know how to fix it.
  1. Get under the care of a psychiatrist (not just a psychologist).
  2. Visit a church that is good at dealing with mental illnesses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟145,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of these thoughts and fears are actually quite typical for someone with OCD/scrupulosity. I'm sorry that it is so debilitating for you right now! There is a lot you can do to work on OCD even by yourself, though professional help can also be beneficial, especially if your OCD is affecting your quality of life. Here are some resources that might be helpful. Please let me know if you would like more, or if you have more questions about OCD! I've struggled with it for a long time, so I know how hard it can be, but there is definitely hope for gaining some victory and peace!

Christianity and Anxiety Disorders - Let's Talk | Facebook
Scrupulosity Articles - Scrupulosity.com
OCD & CHRISTIANITY – CHRISTIANITY
OCD and Scrupulosity Archives - ACCFS

• Winner
Upvote 0