• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this a panic attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin'Eagle

Fighting communism...one mermaid at a time.
Jul 4, 2004
✟29,765.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It has happened to me a few times. I start thinking about death and then i think i have heart problems and stuff, even though i was never diagnosed with any problems. Then all of the sudden my heart starts beating hard and irregular and my breathing becomes irregular. I get really scared when this happens, and i lash out at anyone who tells me im ok and nothing is wrong because i seriously think im dying when it occurs. Am i crazy or something? lol

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds very much like a panic attack. A panic attack (like that) is not necessarily a product of a serious mental problem, but a normal physical response to a really great fear. Of course, it becomes a problem when the fear is irrational, or much greater than the thing you are afraid of. I really think you should talk to a professional counselor about your fear. I truly believe that if you can get the thoughts (and more importantly, the instinctual panic response) under control, you will never need to be medicated. If you let it go and just deal with it in your own way, however, you will end up like me three years down the road -- randomly panicing about random things and needing to work VERY hard to keep yourself under control at the most inopportune times.

Your problem isn't stupid or weird or even just because you're crazy. You are simply PHYSICALLY over-reacting, and you should get help to keep it from becoming a really deep habit that can turn into really bad problems.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're not crazy...panic attacks are a serious illness...getting on some meds might be able to help reduce the amount of anxiety you are having. The fast heartbeat and irregular breathing are due to the anxiety...but don't worry, that only makes it worse. But then...that's easier said than done isn't it???

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2004
Visit site
✟148.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah, that sounds a lot like a panic attack. I started getting them myself about a year and a half ago, but mine seemed to come on for no reason atall.. The doctor said the symtoms were stress-related, and I needed to rest. I quit college and over time, the more I rested the less I had the attacks. But funny enough I do still get them occasionally, although not usually so bad as they were (maybe because I know what they are now and that it doesn't mean I'm going to die whenever I have one) -but I guess I also still fear death -and heart problems as you mentioned, even though I really want to trust in God enough to overcome that fear.
Different people suffer from panic attacks for different reasons. But if you can get to a doctor that would probably help put your mind at ease, and you can ask for some advice. And most importantly, pray to God about it. He understands what you're going through. (I also find drinking cold water helps when it happens!)
Feel free to message me!

Upvote 0

troymartin

Jul 23, 2004
Manchester, Cape town
✟7,671.00
Faith
Baptist
Yep thats a panic attack alright. Ive had enough of them to know what one is. The one thing that will help you above all is that you do not die from panic attacks, your heart will not burst, your getting more oxygen than you need and all you have to worry about is calming down. Ive got very good at managing panic attacks and mine have almost gone away. If you need help pm me and ill give you some good ways to prevent and manage these attacks.

Upvote 0

troymartin

Jul 23, 2004
Manchester, Cape town
✟7,671.00
Faith
Baptist
Here are some ways to stop them once theve hit you:
Breath into a brown paper bag for a while ( that really helps) It restores the oxygen balance.
Force yourself to slow your breathing down (you wont die)
Try not to move too much as that will get your heart rate up along with your breathing.
Get some green tea and drink it whenever you have a panic attack. It really calms you done and gives you a sense of euphoria.
Try to focus on something else like someone or the tv and really try to focus on it, this will take attention away from yourself and how your feeling.
If youve got some anxiety medication then take it when the panic attack starts and only take what youre prescribed,
Listen to some christian worship music and try to remember how much god loves you and he will never give you more than you can bear. Above all know that your heart can withstand extraordinary pressure and will not collapse no matter how bad the panic attack. And the more and harder you breath the worse the panic attack will be.

Ive been on some medication that virtaully killed my panic attacks altogether. It also slows the heart and breathing rate and removes the adrenalin from flowing in your system . Its called propranolol and use it wisely, 80mg at the most. That was enough for me and my panic attacks were so bad that my whole body went rigid and i couldnt move hardly any of my muscles, i had to be rushed to hospital and given a intra-musclular injection to allow me to move again.

Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

MrsGnomeCrusher

Veteran
Mar 17, 2004
Manitoba, Canada
✟10,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It sounds like you had a panic attack. And having a panic attack doesn't mean that you're crazy. You feel like your heart's pounding out of your chest, you can't catch your breath. One time I even tried to get from point A to point B and ended up in point C. To this day, I'm not sure how I got there (I knew I was walking, but I didn't know why I ended up in point C--it's all blank). I think you're body/brain is just short circuiting. :D

I really don't have much of a problem with panic attacks since I've started dealing with my issues and facing them head on. I'm a person who thinks that you should attack the problem head on rather than taking meds to help (although some people really do need them to function).

What is it about death that scares you and why do you think you have heart problems?

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm, panic attack indeed. Though that is not the only thing it can be. I have so many acronyms for disorders it is not even funny, but I do know that as scary as this can be, you need to see your doctor right away. They might refer you to a counselor or something but will probably just make sure all is ok in the phsycial body before prescribing medication, which trust me, helps a lot, though often many switches are necessary.

What you describe could also be mild hypochondria or an onset of cardiac arrest ( I AM NOT A DOC! SEE YOURS AT ONCE< I AM JUST GOING THROUGH POSSIBILITIES!)

Yeah perhaps and most likely it is a panic disorder which can be harmlessky treated with a prescription. Um ,heres a good thing to inquire about though, Paxil is often the 'quick fix' for Drs but if you have thoughts of death at all, then avoid Paxil, as it has been caused to increase risk of suicide, I took it for a while, my dose is quite high and I only take it because I dont want to try to come off it and risk severe panic attacks.

Go ahead and PM me or IM me...I am usually available.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Screamin'Eagle

Fighting communism...one mermaid at a time.
Jul 4, 2004
✟29,765.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yeah i think it was just a panic attack, ive been really stressed lately...and if it was heart problems...ive had this for a few years, not often, but if it was heart problems i probobly would have died by now...heh. But yeah i used to be on paxil, but i dont buy that whole chemical imbalance thing causing panic attacks...personally i think its satan trying to get me to not have faith in God, because as soon as i run to him while its happening i feel an overwhelming peace. Thats if i remember to pray when thats happening, because like someone said, when this happens i dont know what im doing half the time :D. Like i just start walking for no reason...ahh well as long as it goes away when i run to God, im not worried.

Upvote 0

Godlovesusall

Apr 12, 2004
St. John
✟7,916.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yup, sounds like a panic attack to me. A panic attack often feels like a mild heart attack. What makes you think about death? Is it a suicidal feeling, or is it a fear, that you are afraid to die? Panic attacks are not fun, and you need to get some help for them if they are indeed panic attacks, if they aren't you need to see your doctor about your rapid heart rate. I wish you the best of luck, and take care!! Get some help if you can. Panic attacks can lead to serious health risks down the road, and there is no reason why you have to suffer through those, talk to your doctor, and tell him/her all the symptoms you are having and when and he/she can determine whether or not you are having panic attacks or heart problems and it can be treated once they know what it is.

Your sis in Him,
D.

Upvote 0
B

Bevlina

Yes...that was a panic attack. Sometimes you can feel as though you are smothering.
Sometimes you feel as though you can't swallow. Sometimes you feel so strange you think you are dying.
But the fact is, your body is playing tricks on you with panic attacks. They are horrific things. There are many good books on the market describing panic attacks. It might be wise to have a good one on this subject in your collection.
Breathe into a brown paper bag. This helps when one comes on. It stops hyperventilation because sometimes you can feel as though you can't get a deep breath too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.