Is the Eucharist the body and blood of Christ?

Is the Eucharist the body and blood of Christ?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No, absolutely not

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Sort of but not really

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What on earth are you saying?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jhn 6:53 - Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.

Jhn 6:54 - “Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Luk 22:19 - And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

1Co 11:24 - and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My bodywhich is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

1Co 11:27 - Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the bodyand blood of the Lord.

1Co 11:28 - But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

1Co 11:29 - For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

1Co 11:30 - For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

• Winner
Reactions: Not David

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians belong to churches that believe its the body and blood of Christ, but as we have seen, the lack of specificity in the poll question has already made it look like a question about the Roman Catholic Church's doctrine.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As soon as I figure out how so-called "priests" with all their side activities with children are supposed to work some hocus pocus given to them by God on the bread and wine to "change" it, I'll let you know the answer to that question.

A priest in a state of mortal sin still holds his office. But aside from that, what of the vast majority of priests who are not guilty of anything of the kind?

Further still, what of all that written in the new testament describing it?

Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians belong to churches that believe its the body and blood of Christ, but as we have seen, the lack of specificity in the poll question has already made it look like a question about the Roman Catholic Church's doctrine.

It is not only the Roman doctrine , but is also the doctrine of the Eastern Churches, the Oriental Churches, and the Assyrian Church.

All of the original Churches have held to the same belief regarding the Eucharist since the beginning.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is not only the Roman doctrine , but is also the doctrine of the Eastern Churches, the Oriental Churches, and the Assyrian Church.

and the Lutheran, the Anglican, the Methodist, and some others.

IOW, yes, it's easy to answer the poll question AS THE QUESTION WAS WRITTEN. But how will that be interpreted? As a vote for transubstantiation?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟738,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

All of the original Churches have held to the same belief regarding the Eucharist since the beginning.

That the Holy Eucharist is the very and real body and blood of our God and Savior Jesus Christ is also the Lutheran teaching, a point of confession that Lutheranism stands upon absolutely and without question. Indeed, if it is not Jesus Christ Himself here in His Supper, then we Lutherans are idolators. The bread and wine of the Eucharist is God Himself, and if that were not true, then I am an idolator.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As soon as I figure out how so-called "priests" with all their side activities with children are supposed to work some hocus pocus given to them by God on the bread and wine to "change" it, I'll let you know the answer to that question.
If you get baptized by a pastor but later you realized the pastor was an atheist, would your baptism be nullified?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

IOW, yes, it's easy to answer the poll question AS THE QUESTION WAS WRITTEN. But how will that be interpreted? As a vote for transubstantiation?
O.P is Orthodox, how will it be related to transubstantiation?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
O.P is Orthodox, how will it be related to transubstantiation?
It was seen as a question about Roman Catholicism by the time we got to post #2, wasn't it? And even the followup clarification by the author of the OP cut out about half the churches that believe the elements are the body and blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was seen as a question about Roman Catholicism by the time we got to post #2, wasn't it?
It's not O.P's fault that a lot of people associate Real Presence with Catholicism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A priest in a state of mortal sin still holds his office. But aside from that, what of the vast majority of priests who are not guilty of anything of the kind?

Further still, what of all that written in the new testament describing it?
Every single bit of that talk meaning some bread and wine (foods they all ate every single day of the week) were actual meaty, warm flesh, and thick blood, are dependent upon this supposed "power" that a hired man has to physically "change" it...… Though, if he turned his back, and you switched it for some similar food that he had not worked his magic on, HE WOULD NEVER SUSPECT THAT IT WAS NOW JUST PLAIN OLD BREAD AND WINE. (Don't you think God would tip him off to the switch?)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,260,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I didn't take it that way at all. Especially since the one asking the question was Orthodox, not Catholic.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not O.P's fault that a lot of people associate Real Presence with Catholicism.

Indeed. The problem with most evangelicals is they will not study history but thinks everything must be spelled out in the Bible and anything that is from historic Traditional Churches that it must be Catholic. Ignorance of Christianity

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Every single bit of that talk meaning some bread and wine (foods they all ate every single day of the week) were actual meaty, warm flesh, and thick blood, are dependent upon this supposed "power" that a hired man has to physically "change" it...… Though, if he turned his back, and you switched it for some similar food that he had not worked his magic on, HE WOULD NEVER SUSPECT THAT IT WAS NOW JUST PLAIN OLD BREAD AND WINE. (Don't you think God would tip him off to the switch?)

I'm sure someone would notice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,260,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It was seen as a question about Roman Catholicism by the time we got to post #2, wasn't it? And even the followup clarification by the author of the OP cut out about half the churches that believe the elements are the body and blood of Christ.
Seen as a question about the Catholic Church by someone who probably hasn't a clue that the Orthodox even exist or that some Lutherans and other Christians also believe in some form of the Real Presence.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree. However, the wording of the poll question is what I was referring to.

The wording of the question is Christian. Entirely Christian. It is not particular to the Roman Church.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟207,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I partake, it is in acknowledgment that Christ came in the flesh and was crucified as a sacrifice for sin according to the requirement of the law, so that mankind could be saved from death. To me the bread and wine does not become the body and blood of Jesus, but rather the body and blood of Jesus becomes the bread and the wine because it is consumed in memory of him.

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Re: Is the Eucharist the body and blood of Christ?

Yes it is—in Spirit (as God sees it) for the purpose for which it was given. The molecules do not change into human flesh and blood. Note that a person can eat it in the physical realm without doing so spiritually (from their heart).

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0