Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,175.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was watching a documentary the other day when I noticed these Brits were talking about length and width and such in terms of feet and inches. Then I remembered that I think you still drink "pints". I found the video below which seems to say you guys use the imperial system more than I thought. So when do you use imperial vs. metric? I'm sure that metric is always used in the sciences, right?

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The wikipedia article Metrication in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia has pretty good info on the patchwork nature of metric vs imperial use in commerce and public use. UK made a lot of changes in the 1970's and 1980's, so I'm quite surprised if personal usage is as "old style" as suggested in the video.

I would have expected a person's height and temperature to be metric by now. I remember discussions of pints vs half-liters for beer; I has assumed that was long settled in favor of metric.

Weight in stones should certainly be a preserved historic artifact, though not for everyday use. As an American, where stones are normally never used, I enjoy someone quoting their weight in stones occasionally.

I

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Science works only in metric in the USA but in engineering they use both. This has led to some serious problems.

One was the loss of a $125 million Mars probe due to failure to convert properly between units.
https://www.simscale.com/blog/2017/12/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/

Another was the near loss of the Gimli Glider (Air Canada flight 143) in 1983 when it ran out of fuel and was forced to glide 70 miles to an abandoned airport.
https://www.simscale.com/blog/2017/12/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟784,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like to use the volume measurement gill when appropriate, it is fun. I started after seeing it used on the tv show "Archer". Kind of a forgotten imperial measurement in general use.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like to use the volume measurement gill when appropriate, it is fun. I started after seeing it used on the tv show "Archer". Kind of a forgotten imperial measurement in general use.

Would you like a firkin of ale?

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you like a firkin of ale?

OK, you're in the lead so far for most obscure imperial measure. I've heard the term before, and I'd be willing to guess it's more than a *gill* but less than a *stone*.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟784,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,175.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Weight in stones should certainly be a preserved historic artifact, though not for everyday use. As an American, where stones are normally never used, I enjoy someone quoting their weight in stones occasionally.

I like to state my age in scores. Two sounds a lot less than forty. ;)

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟217,796.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Officially the UK is (mostly) metric, but for everyday 'popular' usage, we are mixed. Speed and distance are miles per hour and miles, but shorter distances are metres. Most people know their heigh in feet and inches, and weight in stones and pounds (but not pounds only). I can think in both stones & pounds, or in kg. Obviously, a pint is a pint (imperial, not American) - milk or beer.

At work (engineering), I have always used metric, including when working for a major American electronics company (which was completely metric).

I expect that many people, like me, are equally happy using imperial or metric.

However, America does not use imperial measurements. An American ton is smaller than an Imperial ton (American ton is 2,000 lb, while an Imperial ton is 20 hundred weigh = 2240 lb - which is very close to one metric tonne = 2,204 lb). Likewise the American gallon and pint are both about 20% smaller than their Imperial counterparts.

Another confusion is what we call a 'thou' (1/000 in), Americans call a 'mil', which in the UK would be short for the metric mm. 1mm = 40 thou.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we're funny creatures here. When we're given our height or our weight we want to know what it is in feet and inches or stones and pounds. Somehow we coped with the change to decimal currency, although still the odd time I would convert an amount into old money.

Gillian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we're funny creatures here. When we're given our height or our weight we want to know what it is in feet and inches or stones and pounds. Somehow we coped with the change to decimal currency, although still the odd time I would convert an amount into old money.

Gillian
Hi @NIrelandGillian ; in the South it's been metric for years, right? they go by kilometres...

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,061,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @NIrelandGillian ; in the South it's been metric for years, right? they go by kilometres...

It depends what you've been brought up on, or what you're used to in your place of work.
I still talk about miles, feet and yards. But my youngest brother, who was born the year that we went decimal, would have grown up with the decimal/metric system.

Incidentally, as my name is Gill, I use it all the time.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It depends what you've been brought up on, or what you're used to in your place of work.
I still talk about miles, feet and yards. But my youngest brother, who was born the year that we went decimal, would have grown up with the decimal/metric system.

Incidentally, as my name is Gill, I use it all the time.
Over here in Canada it's mainly metric but sometimes Imperial measurements "persist", so to speak...

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It has, that's right, although I don't know which system they use in everyday conversation. When they went metric in the South - at the same time as the UK, I was sharing a flat in Dublin with a friend with the landlady on the premises and she was very suspicious of the new system - thought we were paying her less money for rent - or maybe it was the use of the phone - than we should have been. I know if I'm told a weight or distance or height in the imperial system I can automatically tell if it's heavy or light, far or near, tall or short. With metric it means nothing until I convert it. Gillian

Upvote 0