• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

If our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit then...

cocolovelord

Jul 9, 2013
USA
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have had some thoughts coming about my mind, being totally in love with Jesus.

I am not completely sure if my ways of thinking are eating disorder-oriented, or simply a hunger/thirst for righteousness. or both. I would like some input.

If our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, then of course, what we put into our bodies should matter, as what we eat affects our minds and souls. I sometimes struggle with demonic forces and temptations to eat junk, but I am a strong believer in mostly eating non-processed foods created by God.

I am trying to live my life simply gaining things for my life and getting closer to Jesus.

The one particular verse I will mention is

Proverbs 23:2 KJV: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite
:preach:

That couldn't be more direct. Therefore, what is wrong with eating ONLY when you are hungry, even if it is just a small amount such as fruit or vegetables? The recommended caloric intake is around 2000 calories. Some days I may have no hunger or appetite. Why are there so many fearmongers when it comes to eating little/less?

Do you think Jesus counted calories? Something in me tells me that he didn't eat nearly as much as what is reccomended today. I highly doubt he entered his meals in MyFitnessPal, and none of the NON-food/processed junk was available in that time. There are raw foodists who eat huge amounts of fruits/vegetables, but do you think Jesus planned it out like that? He says not to think of what you will eat or drink. American diets are so focused on pre-planning and everything. What's wrong with going with the flow of my day, and if I actually get hungry, I can just have an apple and be content? It sounds easy and I definitely know that binging is much easier to do than having self-control. If I get very thin for the sake of being close to God in my human life, then what's the big deal? I am going to heaven nonetheless, and here on earth I am trying to build up my inheritance in heaven... he will always protect me...so I don't see what the problem is. I feel like the less my temple (internal being/stomach) is filled, the closer I feel to God and so in love with him. When I eat too much, I feel like I have defiled my Holy Spirit temple and betrayed him and dirtied up his dwelling place. Why does it matter if I become very thin, as long as I know I have a place in the Kingdom of God and can become closer to him in this life by fasting and eating very little? It is diffcult to be this honest with myself but sometimes I feel like the thinner I am, the closer to God I will be, because my temple will not be defiled and my body will not have any extra toxins that could get in the way of our love, and I can feel light and floating with the angels.. I hope someone can understand my viewpoint because I am really having a soul confliction. I just want a very clean place for Jesus to dwell so I can get that divine communication, love, and healing. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

AnthonyMichaelPraisesGod

blessedandtotallyworthy
Sep 6, 2012
in a mystery
Visit site
✟8,219.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I have been eating less progressively over the last year now and I have to say that I also entirely agree that what we put into our bodies is essentially important as we build our physical bodies from ingesting various particle participations, but I do believe that we could in turn train our physical bodies through yoga and pranic breathing and muscle-building techniques to ingest proper nutrients with detailed observation of stimuli progressively over time and prayer to our God. . . . <3
He d i d promise us living waters after all, did He not? :3
*swishes tail*

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it, it's an excuse to become way to thin, to the point of being in heaven with Jesus!
If your body is the Holy temple then we are to take care of it, not starve it!

This is what defiles
Mark 7:20-23
New International Version (NIV)
20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

Be careful with scripture, sometimes it gets all twisted especially if we have not eaten enough!
God Bless

Upvote 0

Kayeliz

Oct 5, 2012
✟16,710.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I get very thin for the sake of being close to God in my human life, then what's the big deal? I am going to heaven nonetheless, and here on earth I am trying to build up my inheritance in heaven... he will always protect me...so I don't see what the problem is. I feel like the less my temple (internal being/stomach) is filled, the closer I feel to God and so in love with him. When I eat too much, I feel like I have defiled my Holy Spirit temple and betrayed him and dirtied up his dwelling place. Why does it matter if I become very thin, as long as I know I have a place in the Kingdom of God and can become closer to him in this life by fasting and eating very little? It is diffcult to be this honest with myself but sometimes I feel like the thinner I am, the closer to God I will be, because my temple will not be defiled and my body will not have any extra toxins that could get in the way of our love, and I can feel light and floating with the angels..

These are thoughts which I used to have a lot and which pulled me deeper into Anorexia nervosa. I kept telling myself it was actually a Christian thing to starve myself, that God could not possibly mind that. Still, my life fell apart eventually. And at a certain point, being extremely thin will destroy the organs and if you keep going then, it is essentially a very slow suicide. And God does not approve of suicide.

The reason we have to plan meals today, in my opinion, is because there is so much unhealthy food around. If I'm at university and at work for a day and don't take my own food (fruit, rice cakes, maybe one sandwich and vegetables) I will be forced to buy the processed takeaway stuff. That wasn't an issue in the times when Jesus was alive. We count calories today because there is too much high-calorie food, otherwise we wouldn't have to.

However, there is nothing in the Bible that says Jesus was constantly starving himself.

Yes, we should not be slaves to food and our body is a temple, so we should not put nasty things in it that will destroy it from the inside. At the same time, putting so little in it it will be destroyed is just as wrong. And you can also become a slave to food if you pay too much attention to eating little or to eating healthy, just in a different way.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Fasted regularly and Our Lady Mary wants us to pray and fast at least three times a week if at all possible.

I agree with the author of this Thread and remember too that Jesus travelled hundreds of miles during His day(s) visiting and preaching through the Middle East with scarce food or a meal during a 24 hour period available; ditto for His Disciples, Apostles and Followers.

Fish from the Sea, olives, figs, some grapes, bread, some red meat, some fruits as a luxury I would think, from those who offered hospitality. Not many regularly consumed vegies as a result of Jesus (a) not having time to consume these during His travels and (b) the climate and (c) being poor from His choice, giving up all for the Heavenly Father and for Mankind.

Yet never poor in Spirit!

Kindest wishes

Upvote 0

Kayeliz

Oct 5, 2012
✟16,710.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So does that mean it is basically essential for a Christian to be Anorexic or severley underweight?

I'm getting doubts and feeling extremely sinful and anxious now because I have a low, yet healthy weight. Do you think I should try to deliberately starve myself and get malnourished? Am not sure how my family would react since I used to be anorexic, I'd have to isolate myself from them.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Gaililee,

Can you show me that Bible reference on Mary telling us to fast 3xs a week? I looked myself, and i could not find it anywhere...
Just because Jesus fasted daily, does not mean we are required to do it. we can but not required.

And Do you think Jesus, GOD in the Flesh, did not eat if He needed to or if HUNGRY?
what you are doing in this post is TRIGGERING people trying to recover from anorexia.
That i do not think is Glorifying to God, would you say so?

Kayeliz

Do not listen to that nonsense, God is a God of LOVE, not of do's and don'ts. Do you really believe that God knowing all would want you to fast...BE TEMPTED? Jesus came for the sick, us...Praise God because without Him, i would be buying that stuff they are posting.
God did it all, that's why He said IT IS FINISHED....
Believe in HIM and NOT man.
Read your Bible and stick to what you know the TRUTH is.
If you need me pm me anytime.

God Bless you sweetie.

Jesus Fasted regularly and Our Lady Mary wants us to pray and fast at least three times a week if at all possible.

I agree with the author of this Thread and remember too that Jesus travelled hundreds of miles during His day(s) visiting and preaching through the Middle East with scarce food or a meal during a 24 hour period available; ditto for His Disciples, Apostles and Followers.

Fish from the Sea, olives, figs, some grapes, bread, some red meat, some fruits as a luxury I would think, from those who offered hospitality. Not many regularly consumed vegies as a result of Jesus (a) not having time to consume these during His travels and (b) the climate and (c) being poor from His choice, giving up all for the Heavenly Father and for Mankind.

Yet never poor in Spirit!

Kindest wishes

Upvote 0

Kayeliz

Oct 5, 2012
✟16,710.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kayeliz

Do not listen to that nonsense, God is a God of LOVE, not of do's and don'ts. Do you really believe that God knowing all would want you to fast...BE TEMPTED? Jesus came for the sick, us...Praise God because without Him, i would be buying that stuff they are posting.
God did it all, that's why He said IT IS FINISHED....
Believe in HIM and NOT man.
Read your Bible and stick to what you know the TRUTH is.
If you need me pm me anytime.

God Bless you sweetie.

Thanks for writing this. I think this is hard for me because back then my Anorexia started because Christians I knew hat put so much emphasis on suffering and neglecting oneself for God. It is one of the things I find very hard to get out of my head and to this day I feel like I need to be severely undwerweight just to show God that I'm willing to neglect my body.

Admittedly, the heatlhy part of me does say what has been said about Jesus and fasting is very triggering and I have experienced that. Not sure what could be done about it. I just know for a fact that I'm not the only one who has or had Anorexia because she felt like it was actually a good thing to starve oneself as a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show me where God said you must neglect yourself to the point of death to show you love Him?
Acts nine sixteen: I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."

maybe this is where they were thwisting? ^^^^^^^

Because we are followers of Christ Jesus, we are going to have suffer because of Him but consider it pure JOY....I love that
James 2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 5But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.…

2 Corinthians 6:4
Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses;

Thanks for writing this. I think this is hard for me because back then my Anorexia started because Christians I knew hat put so much emphasis on suffering and neglecting oneself for God. It is one of the things I find very hard to get out of my head and to this day I feel like I need to be severely undwerweight just to show God that I'm willing to neglect my body.

Admittedly, the heatlhy part of me does say what has been said about Jesus and fasting is very triggering and I have experienced that. Not sure what could be done about it. I just know for a fact that I'm not the only one who has or had Anorexia because she felt like it was actually a good thing to starve oneself as a Christian.

Reactions: Yoseft
Upvote 0