✟842,274.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi Student,

I'm Mark, I'm the moderator who looks after formal debate most of the time.

The best place to start is to pick a topic and state which side of the discussion you will be taking; post it here. Members come here to see what topics are up and they may decide to engage you in the discussion.

Once everyone agrees on the stipulations, then I will set up a debate thread in the forum specifically for these debates as well as setting up a peanut gallery for those who are not part of the debate but want to discuss the topic as well.

These are the guidelines, but keep in mind we are flexible and can tailor the stipulations to suit the opponents and the topic.

I'm on here morning and night so if you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer them for you.

God bless!

Mark
Area Supervisor

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am looking for someone to debate with me about something. But then also helps along with learning how to debate etiquette and what not. Who is willing to debate me and teach me? Thanks

Im willing to debate you on a mutually interesting subject (even if I have to try defending a position I don't believe in since im a Christian as you are --- it will still give you lots of good practice) . Id be willing to share with you what ive learned by trial and error over many years. David.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟842,274.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry for not being round for so long, I will PM david and see if we can chat first.

Maybe you can explain in your own words what 'natural ethics' means for you
Natural ethics for me is about "rational attraction to being", which means that we (ought to) live rationally (pursuing self interest as biological organisms), and this in turn is a form of attraction to being, in that it sustains our lives in a hopefully pleasing manner. So modern hedonism is flawed, because it all about the pleasure (which is part of attraction) rather than the objective side of adding adaptive, well adjusted extrenal actions. But it is an attempt at rational attraction to being, in that we are designed to pursue the ethical by evolution. Likewise I will argue that Christian ethics can be raitonal, but they may not be so self aware in the secular sense, just as there is discussion of life in the bible without modern scientific definitions of it.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for not being round for so long, I will PM david and see if we can chat first.

Natural ethics for me is about "rational attraction to being", which means that we (ought to) live rationally (pursuing self interest as biological organisms), and this in turn is a form of attraction to being, in that it sustains our lives in a hopefully pleasing manner. So modern hedonism is flawed, because it all about the pleasure (which is part of attraction) rather than the objective side of adding adaptive, well adjusted extrenal actions. But it is an attempt at rational attraction to being, in that we are designed to pursue the ethical by evolution. Likewise I will argue that Christian ethics can be raitonal, but they may not be so self aware in the secular sense, just as there is discussion of life in the bible without modern scientific definitions of it.

I got your PM. Thanks for this explanation. So, it sounds similar to the Humanism ideology of Moral Relativism and pursuing a variety of lifestyles so long as nobody gets hurt ? Would that be what youd like to discuss in a debate form ? Dave.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, thats similar to my view, but...you got me thinking now. How would you respond to a general claim that plato , aristotle etc are called moral philosophers by the authorities, ergo thay are moralists and have secular moralities?

Thanks for calling back in by the way, I am new to formal debates I would say that you go first if possible, and keep the word count lower rather than higher (but of course we have to debate).

I think that my main weakness is that I am an objective moralist, but I have to admit that conscious animals have a similar basis for "morality" as we do, and the psychopath has interests which need respecting just as ours do unless we are to special plead our own (normal, "morally upright") case.
]
Anyway lay down some parameters if you like, and I will try to abide. But, by the way I use internet at a library which will be closed soon until new year, so lets debate then if that sounds feasable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How about the standard Debate Rules by CF but 3 rounds each of up to 2500 words per post ? You go first and greatly elaborate on your positions so I know where youre coming from. We can hit multiple issues concerning morality if you wish. Ill respond to whatever you come up with. Let me know and let the Moderator in here know so he can set up a Debate Room just for the two of us. Dave.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry I may have to back out. I just remembered I have a issue with mental health and stress can cause a breakdown. In general I am so well it does not affect me on these forums, but sometimes the rhetoric can be... well you know. Stressfull. And I wouldnt want to either back out too rudely, half way through, or struggle onwards and wind up on more meds.

Thanks for understanding if you can, GS.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I may have to back out. I just remembered I have a issue with mental health and stress can cause a breakdown. In general I am so well it does not affect me on these forums, but sometimes the rhetoric can be... well you know. Stressfull. And I wouldnt want to either back out too rudely, half way through, or struggle onwards and wind up on more meds.

Thanks for understanding if you can, GS.

no prob

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.