Visit site
✟357,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First of all, you have to know what the Greek definition of the word "salvation" is, and it is salvation=deliverance, saved=delivered, and save=deliver.

The scriptures teach that we are delivered one time eternally. The person who has been delivered eternally has the promise of God to inherit heaven.

Those who have the promise of heaven, as they live their lives here on earth, can be delivered by God many times by the choices they make as they sojourn here on earth, such as repenting of a sin they have committed and God delivers (saves) them from the results of that sin.

When we follow his commandments he delivers (saves) us from leading an unfruitful life. This is a salvation (deliverance) that is obtained by our good works.

If you, mistakenly, apply all of the salvation (deliverance) scriptures to eternal deliverance, the scriptures will tend to teach eternal deliverance obtained by your good works.

All of the scripture references that you have given require an action (work) to gain deliverance's that a child of God receives as he sojourns here on earth.

The inspired scriptures are written as instructions to God's children as to how God wants them to live their lives as they sojourn here on earth, It also informs them how that God promised to deliver them to their inheritance of heaven.

We are saved by a faith, and that Gospel Faith is manifested by a commitment to be disciples of Lord Jesus, for that is what Baptism represents (Matthew 28:19-20; Romans 6). As the believer continues in this authentic faith, evidenced by walking or sowing to the indwelling Spirit, then the Spirit, who indwells those who believe in Lord Jesus (John 7:37-39) continues to give the believer Eternal Life.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB)
Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man Sows, that he will also Reap.
8 For he who Sows to his own flesh will from the flesh Reap corruption. But he who Sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} Reap Eternal Life. 9 {{{Let us}}} not be weary in doing good, for {{{we}}} will Reap in due season, {{{if we}}} {{{do not give up}}}.

To sow to the Spirit is to walk in the light, which is the only kind of faith by which the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 6:7 (WEB) 6 If {{{we}}} say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But {{{if we}}} walk in the light, as he is in the light, {{{we}}} have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

The Faith that God accepts to receive the Spirit (John 14:15-24; Acts 5:32) and to possess eternal life (John 3:16) and by which God loves us, is a faith manifested by obedience to Lord Jesus (John 10:26-29), to follow him, which is what Baptism represents (Matthew 28:19-20):

John 15:10 (WEB) 10 If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love; even as I {{have kept my Father’s commandments, and remain in his love}}.

A true Christian is necessarily a follower (disciple) of Lord Jesus - dead to the old master, and rise to a new life as obedient followers of Lord Jesus - these are the only believers who belong to Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB) 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Acts 11:26 (WEB) The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

"Matthew 28:19-20" is the Great Commission of Lord Jesus to make disciples of all nations teaching them to obey all things the Lord commands of us. If that represents your faith, then your baptism is a confession of that Faith - to submit to Jesus as Lord whom you now live for and serve - dead to the old life, and risen to a new life as obedient followers of Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We are saved by a faith, and that Gospel Faith is manifested by a commitment to be disciples of Lord Jesus, for that is what Baptism represents (Matthew 28:19-20; Romans 6). As the believer continues in this authentic faith, evidenced by walking or sowing to the indwelling Spirit, then the Spirit, who indwells those who believe in Lord Jesus (John 7:37-39) continues to give the believer Eternal Life.

Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man Sows, that he will also Reap.
8 For he who Sows to his own flesh will from the flesh Reap corruption. But he who Sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} Reap Eternal Life. 9 {{{Let us}}} not be weary in doing good, for {{{we}}} will Reap in due season, {{{if we}}} {{{do not give up}}}.

To sow to the Spirit is to walk in the light, which is the only kind of faith by which the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 6:7 (WEB) 6 If {{{we}}} say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But {{{if we}}} walk in the light, as he is in the light, {{{we}}} have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

The Faith that God accepts to receive the Spirit (John 14:15-24; Acts 5:32)

The godhead consists of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. These three have different functions. The Holy Spirit also has different functions, The quickening Spirit, the revelator and the comforter. Those apostles and disciples already have the indwelling of the quickening Holy Spirit. This in John 14 is another Comforter, even the Spirit of truth, which the "world cannot receive", which takes us to John 3:16 and tells us that the world under consideration in this verse is a different world than the world that cannot receive the Spirit of truth, witch means the world in John 3:16 is the world of believers.

John 15:18-19 that if the world in John 3:16 were of the other world, the world would love them, but because they are not of the other world, but he has chosen them out of the world, therefore the world hates them.

and to possess eternal life (John 3:16) and by which God loves us, is a faith manifested by obedience to Lord Jesus (John 10:26-29), to follow him, which is what Baptism represents (Matthew 28:19-20):

John 15:10 (WEB) 10 If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love; even as I {{have kept my Father’s commandments, and remain in his love}}.

A true Christian is necessarily a follower (disciple) of Lord Jesus - dead to the old master, and rise to a new life as obedient followers of Lord Jesus - these are the only believers who belong to Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB) 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Acts 11:26 (WEB) The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

"Matthew 28:19-20" is the Great Commission of Lord Jesus to make disciples of all nations teaching them to obey all things the Lord commands of us. If that represents your faith, then your baptism is a confession of that Faith - to submit to Jesus as Lord whom you now live for and serve - dead to the old life, and risen to a new life as obedient followers of Lord Jesus.

Jacob whose name was changed by God to be no more called Jacob, but to be called Israel is God's elect people and consists of those that have been redeemed from every kindred , and tongue, and people and NATION (Rev 5:9).

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟357,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The godhead consists of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. These three have different functions. The Holy Spirit also has different functions, The quickening Spirit, the revelator and the comforter. Those apostles and disciples already have the indwelling of the quickening Holy Spirit. This in John 14 is another Comforter, even the Spirit of truth, which the "world cannot receive", which takes us to John 3:16 and tells us that the world under consideration in this verse is a different world than the world that cannot receive the Spirit of truth, witch means the world in John 3:16 is the world of believers.

Lord Jesus is the Counselor, having the Spirit in Him without measure (John 3:34) while he was with them. When he ascended to heaven, he sent the Spirit to be IN them, and all believers, "another Counselor," which began on the Day of Penecost.

John 7:37-39 (WEB) 37 Now on the last and greatest day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink! 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive. For the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus wasn’t yet glorified.

According to "John 14:14-24," the {{{Counselor}}} is the {{{Spirit of Truth,}}} and the Spirit of Truth was living "with" the Disciples, because Christ was {{with}} them, but when Lord Jesus rose from the dead, he sent the Spirit from the Father to be in {{IN}} them (the Disciples), and to {{{all}}} those who believe in him, evidenced by keeping his commands.

John 14:15-24 (WEB)
15 If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, that he may be with you forever: 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world can’t receive; for it doesn’t see him and doesn’t know him. You know him, for he lives {{with}} you, and will be {{in}} you. 18 I will not leave you orphans. I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more; but you will see me. Because I live, you will live also. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 One who has my commandments and keeps them, that person is one who loves me. One who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will reveal myself to him.”

22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, what has happened that you are about to reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?”

23 Jesus answered him, “If a man (anyone) loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him.
24 He who doesn’t love me doesn’t keep my words. The word which you hear isn’t mine, but the Father’s who sent me.

John 15:18-19 that if the world in John 3:16 were of the other world, the world would love them, but because they are not of the other world, but he has chosen them out of the world, therefore the world hates them.

There is no "other" world. Not in Scripture. Lord Jesus came to save out of the world those who believe in him.

Jacob whose name was changed by God to be no more called Jacob, but to be called Israel is God's elect people and consists of those that have been redeemed from every kindred , and tongue, and people and NATION (Rev 5:9).

All those who believe in Lord Jesus evidenced by keeping his commands.

Matthew 28:19-20 (WEB) 19 Go[a] and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Hebrews 5:7 (WEB) Having been made perfect, he became to all of those who obey him the author of eternal salvation

Revelation 3:1-5
(WEB) “I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If therefore you won’t watch, I will come as a thief, and you won’t know what hour I will come upon you. 4 Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that didn’t defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟18,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In today's world where churches and different beliefs are popping up on every corner, not to mention the years of churches preaching a watered down Bible and God. What does the Bible say and not say concerning salvation? Seems to me that if one is going to endeavor to be a Christian, one would be concerned with God's word more so than anything else!!! 1. No where does the NT say or imply that anyone has ever been saved by praying "the sinners prayer".
2. The Bible does however say specifically that obedience IS involved in salvation.
2 Thessalonians 1:6-8
since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you,and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. -
The Bible says what the Bible says, regardless of what anyone believes. Sure, there are prophetic areas of the Bible where I may be right in the interpretation or you may be or we both may be wrong, but I submit to you that anything pertaining to salvation is straight forward requiring zero interpretation. Would God want us to be saved and not tell us how to be saved? Would God be a just God by requiring this for salvation from one person and something different from another thus making it impossible to know? Not according to the Word of God. For those who will argue the "sinner prayer" i have but one more verse for ponderance.

Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. - John 9:31
Can a sinner pray him/her self to heaven?
Not according to God's word.
In Him
I agree with your statement. It is God who grants to us repentence to come to a knowledge of Him. (2 Timothy 2:25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth) He then substains us and helps us to grow. All of "our" good works are a result of the Father through Christ (Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.) The only reason we are obedient is because God is constantly conforming us to the image of His Son through His Word.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟357,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with your statement. It is God who grants to us repentence to come to a knowledge of Him. (2 Timothy 2:25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth) He then substains us and helps us to grow. All of "our" good works are a result of the Father through Christ (Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.) The only reason we are obedient is because God is constantly conforming us to the image of His Son through His Word.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 (EWEB) 24 The Lord’s servant must not quarrel, but be gentle toward all, able to teach, patient, 25 in gentleness correcting those who oppose him: perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to a full knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may recover themselves out of the devil’s snare, having been taken captive by him to his will.

"2 Timothy 2:24-26" is written by Paul to Timothy, who is a Bishop of a church, instructing Timothy to correct those who oppose him in the church so that, perchance, God may still allow/grant them repentance so that they may recover themselves from the Devil's snare.

To "recover themselves" means they were already Christians in good standing, but they started to oppose sound instruction. You cannot recover from something you never had to begin with. So Christians can fall away. All Christians can sin, and so oppose the instruction of Scripture in one or more topics. God, who sees the heart, may still allow repentance to those Christians who oppose, but if the Christian continues to deliberately sin and oppose, then God will not grant/allow them repentance so they may recover themselves (Hebrews 10:24-31).

Regarding the Gospel
Lord Jesus is calling all sinners to repent, showing us that Lord Jesus has already granted repentance to all sinners, but it us up to the sinner to now repent as Lord Jesus called us to do.

Mark 2:17 (WEB) When Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are healthy have no need for a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Acts 17:31 (WEB) The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked, but now God commands all people everywhere to repent.

Regarding "Ephesians 2:10," who does God create for good works? Answer: The believer.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (WEB) 8 for by grace you [believers] have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, that no one would boast. 10 For we [believers] are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

As we [believers] are faithful to walk in the light, to walk in the Spirit dwelling in us, then God, by the Spirit, does his work in us.

Galatians 2:8-10 (WEB) For you were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, 9 for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth, 10 proving what is well pleasing to the Lord.

Galatians 5:16 (WEB) 16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

God’s workmanship:
Those who already believe we (plural) in “Ephesians 2:10,” are God’s workmanship. Faith itself is not God’s workmanship. “Faith” is not plural, and faith is not a person; therefore, “we” cannot refer to faith. And “faith” is not a work. “We” are those who believe. Christians (believers) are God’s workmanship. As the Spirit of God leads, the believer is to follow – walking by the Spirit to possess eternal life (Galatians 6:7-9).

The Spirit gives Eternal Life only to those Christians who continually sow to the Spirit without giving up.

Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟18,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 2:24-26 (EWEB) 24 The Lord’s servant must not quarrel, but be gentle toward all, able to teach, patient, 25 in gentleness correcting those who oppose him: perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to a full knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may recover themselves out of the devil’s snare, having been taken captive by him to his will.

"2 Timothy 2:24-26" is written by Paul to Timothy, who is a Bishop of a church, instructing Timothy to correct those who oppose him in the church so that, perchance, God may still allow/grant them repentance so that they may recover themselves from the Devil's snare.

To "recover themselves" means they were already Christians in good standing, but they started to oppose sound instruction. You cannot recover from something you never had to begin with. So Christians can fall away. All Christians can sin, and so oppose the instruction of Scripture in one or more topics. God, who sees the heart, may still allow repentance to those Christians who oppose, but if the Christian continues to deliberately sin and oppose, then God will not grant/allow them repentance so they may recover themselves (Hebrews 10:24-31).

Regarding the Gospel
Lord Jesus is calling all sinners to repent, showing us that Lord Jesus has already granted repentance to all sinners, but it us up to the sinner to now repent as Lord Jesus called us to do.

Mark 2:17 (WEB) When Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are healthy have no need for a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Acts 17:31 (WEB) The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked, but now God commands all people everywhere to repent.

Regarding "Ephesians 2:10," who does God create for good works? Answer: The believer.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (WEB) 8 for by grace you [believers] have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, that no one would boast. 10 For we [believers] are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

As we [believers] are faithful to walk in the light, to walk in the Spirit dwelling in us, then God, by the Spirit, does his work in us.

Galatians 2:8-10 (WEB) For you were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, 9 for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth, 10 proving what is well pleasing to the Lord.

Galatians 5:16 (WEB) 16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

God’s workmanship:
Those who already believe we (plural) in “Ephesians 2:10,” are God’s workmanship. Faith itself is not God’s workmanship. “Faith” is not plural, and faith is not a person; therefore, “we” cannot refer to faith. And “faith” is not a work. “We” are those who believe. Christians (believers) are God’s workmanship. As the Spirit of God leads, the believer is to follow – walking by the Spirit to possess eternal life (Galatians 6:7-9).

The Spirit gives Eternal Life only to those Christians who continually sow to the Spirit without giving up.

All Christians can sin, and so oppose the instruction of Scripture in one or more topics. God, who sees the heart, may still allow repentance to those Christians

I would agree since Christians are still, by nature, sinners. The distinction is that, as John tells us, true believers sin but they do not practice sin.

(ESV) 1 John 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.​

As a believer God will “restore” us, but it is through His grace. I would refer to the case of Jonah who deliberately and willfully was disobedient to God to the point that he ran the opposite direction. God went to very great lengths to bring him back and restore him, all the while within God’s sovereign control.

Yes, God calls all people to repent. The trouble is we won’t repent. Why? Simply because we love sin.

John 3:19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.​

Sinners will never repent unless God changes our hearts and bends it towards doing His will. We are either slaves to righteousness or slaves to sin.

Rom 6:16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.​

And “faith” is not a work.

I would have to disagree. Our Lord Jesus plainly states that it is a work.

John 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”​

In fact, I would argue that it is the ONLY work of God. The question is then is whether faith a gift given to us by God?

Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.​

This is a key verse, but it has been debated as to what precisely is the gift of God? Is it grace or is it faith? I would include the following:

Rom 12:3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.​

Here it is plain that faith is a gift from God and, as we can see, God assigns various measures of faith.

I wouldn’t disagree with this statement. The question is who is responsible for maintaining our salvation? Does God save us and keep us, or do we try to maintain our salvation. I personal rest in the fact that our Lord Jesus Christ saved me, keeps me, and will lead me home.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”​

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟357,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a believer God will “restore” us, but it is through His grace. I would refer to the case of Jonah who deliberately and willfully was disobedient to God to the point that he ran the opposite direction. God went to very great lengths to bring him back and restore him, all the while within God’s sovereign control.

Jonah was saved by faith, but God called Jonah to be a prophet. Jonah's heart was in the right place when he willfully tried to avoid preaching to the Ninevites. The Ninevites were a vicious people, even torturing Israelis. However, Ninevah was a large city with many people. Rather than destroy all of Ninevah, God had mercy on them, desiring them to repent. God chose Jonah to preach to the Ninevites. The Ninevites did repent, and God spared Ninevah.

The Potter forms the clay, but whether God forms the clay for salvation or destruction is dependent on how the clay responds in his hands. If the sinner repents, God will change his mind, and form the clay for noble purposes (Jeremiah 18:1-12; 2 Timothy 2:19-22).

Yes, God calls all people to repent. The trouble is we won't repent. Why? Simply because we love sin.

That is not true for all people. While all people are prisoners of sin, there are those who are crushed and heavily laden by their sins. These are the humble whom Christ was sent to preach to.

Luke 18:13-14 (WEB) 13 But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn’t even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Luke 4:18-19 (EWEB) 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the broken hearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, 19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.” [Isaiah 61:1-2]

Mathew 11:28 (WEB) Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.

Sinners will never repent unless God changes our hearts and bends it towards doing His will. We are either slaves to righteousness or slaves to sin.

Rom 6:16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.​

"Romans 6:16-18" does not support your doctrine that sinners cannot repent unless God changes their hearts (regeneration).

Regeneration is only a possession of those who first, by faith, repent, and then continue in faith by walking by the Spirit.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears [listens] my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Regeneration is the light of life (Ephesians 5:8) and is by faith evidenced by following Lord Jesus:

John 8:12“I am the light of the world. [Isaiah 60:1] He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the {{light of life}}.” [The light of life is regeneration and is God’s Work in those who follow Lord Jesus.]

Regeneration is associated with being “Children of God.” We are children of God through faith:

Galatians 3:26 (WEB) For you are all children of God, {{through faith}} in Christ Jesus.

Regeneration is to receive God’s Spirit after a person believes and becomes a child of God:

Galatians 4:6 (WEB) And because you are children, God sent out the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, “Abba, Father!”

Regeneration is Spiritual Life, and is by the Spirit of Christ dwelling IN US:

Romans 8:10-11 (WEB) 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if it is so that the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if any man doesn’t have the {Spirit of Christ}, he is not his. 10 If Christ is IN YOU, the body is dead because of sin, but the spirit is alive [regeneration] because of righteousness.

Regeneration is Life by the Spirit of Christ dwelling in us (Romans 8:10-11) - AND the Spirit only indwells us to give us life by faith (John 7:37-39; Galatians 3:2, 14; Ephesians 1:13-14). Faith is demonstrated by following and obeying Lord Jesus, which is “The Faith” commitment (conversion) by which the Spirit indwells us.

John 14:15-16 (WEB) 15 If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, that he may be with you forever: 17 the Spirit of truth

John 14:23
(WEB) 23 Jesus answered him, “If a man loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him.

Acts 5:32 (WEB) 32 We are his witnesses of these things; and so also is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.

SETST wrote: And “faith” is not a work.

HarleyER RE: I would have to disagree. Our Lord Jesus plainly states that it is a work.

John 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”​

The Apostle Paul plainly teaches that faith is not a work; rather, Paul explains we are to believe, just as Abraham did, and so gained God's favor. Not that we earn salvation by our faith; rather, that the person who believes is the one God desires and wills to save.

Romans 11:32 (KJV) 32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
  • God desires all to be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-6; Isaiah 45:21-22; Acts 17:30; John 7:37; Revelation 22:17; 2 Corinthians 5:14-17), but many refuse his grace (2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 12:25; Matthew 22:3; John 3:18; Romans 10:21; John 5:39-40).
  • God calls and draws all people without favoritism (Isaiah 45:21-22; Acts 10:34-35; Acts 13:47; Romans 2:10-11; Matthew 28:19-20; John 12:32; John 12:47; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Titus 2:11), by the Word and Spirit, but many refuse the drawing of the word (Romans 10:17-21) and resist the Spirit (Acts 7:51).
  • The ransom was paid for all (1 Timothy 2:6), but not all are ransomed because many refuse (Matthew 22:3; John 3:18; John 5:39-40; Acts 14:2; Acts 19:9; Acts 50-51; Romans 10:21; 2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 12:25; Revelation 16:9; Revelation 16:11).
  • God’s gracious intention is to have mercy on all (Romans 11:32), but many will refuse God’s mercy.
  • God invites all so that whosoever believes may be saved (Matthew 22:8-9; John 3:16), but many refuse.
  • God shows no favoritism (Acts 10:34-35) or partiality (Romans 2:10-11) in His offer of salvation.
  • God grants both the Jew and the Gentile repentance onto life (Acts 11:18; Acts 13:47).
  • God grants everyone salvation by faith in His Son (Acts 11:18; Acts 13:46-47; John 3:14-18; John 10:16; John 6:40; Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 3:21-22; Isaiah 45:22).
  • The call to salvation is for the whole world (John 16-19; Luke 14:23; Matthew 22:9-9; Isaiah 45:22), but we appropriate that gracious gift of salvation to ourselves by faith – whosoever believes (John 3:16; Romans 1:16-17; Romans 5:1-2).
  • Of those who do believe, many will be deceived or fall away, so we are warned to remain faithful to the end to receive the eternal inheritance (Matthew 24:10-13; Luke 21:34-36; John 15:8-10; Romans 8:16-17; Romans 11:19-22; Luke 21:19; Galatians 5:4; Galatians 6:7-9; 1 Timothy 4:1-2; 1 Timothy 4:16; 1 Timothy 6:10-12; 1 Timothy 6:18-22; 2 Timothy 2:17-18; Hebrews 2:1-4; Hebrews 3:12-15; Hebrews 10:24-31; Hebrews 10:35-36; James 1:12-16; 2 Peter 1:8-11; 2 Peter 2:1-3; 1 John 2:24-26; Revelation 2:10-11; Revelation 3:1-5; Revelation 3:11-12; Revelation 3:15-21; Revelation 21:7, and many more).
In "John 6:28-29," The question asked of Lord Jesus sets the context for his reply to them. In the context, Lord Jesus is not teaching that God is giving anyone faith as His work; rather, in reply to them, he is saying the work of God (what God requires) is that we believe, so that we may do the works acceptable to God (Romans 3:31). To verify the truth of this, we see that regeneration of the indwelling Spirit (Romans 8:9-10) is by faith (John 7:37-39; John 5:24; John 8:12); therefore, God works in those who believe, not so they can believe, is the teaching of Scripture.

God reasons with us, and sends us evangelists, teachers, preachers, and prophets to proclaim the Gospel. Those who believe are saved, and those who do not believe are not saved (John 3:16-18). The works that come from an authentic faith in Lord Jesus are the works acceptable to God.

In fact, I would argue that it is the ONLY work of God. The question is then is whether faith a gift given to us by God?

Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.​

Ephesians 2:8-9” is another disputed quote. Scripture never teaches that faith to be saved is God’s work; rather God works salvation (John 3:16), regeneration (John 5:24), and to do the works of God (Ephesians 2:19; Titus 2:13-14) in those who believe. God saves those who believe.

God commands all people everywhere to repent. Good works are the result of a repentant faith, being disciples of Lord Jesus (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 11:26).

Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because he has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by the man whom he has ordained; of which he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.”

Acts 26:20 (NIV) First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Acts 17:30 (WEB) The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent

This is a key verse, but it has been debated as to what precisely is the gift of God? Is it grace or is it faith? I would include the following:

Rom 12:3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.​

Here it is plain that faith is a gift from God and, as we can see, God assigns various measures of faith.

"Romans 12" is written to Christians, who already are saved and have the Spirit of God. Paul is teaching them about the gifts of the Spirit, and a measure of faith (as a gift) to carry out the special gift of the Spirit in each individual. Nothing in Romans 12 is teaching that God is giving faith as a gift to be saved.

I wouldn’t disagree with this statement. The question is who is responsible for maintaining our salvation? Does God save us and keep us, or do we try to maintain our salvation. I personal rest in the fact that our Lord Jesus Christ saved me, keeps me, and will lead me home.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”​

"John 10:27" is plainly stating that the only sheep that Christ identifies as belonging to him are those sheep who listen to and follow him. These are the only sheep granted eternal life. God's promises to the believer are such that, as long as we believe in Him, demonstrated by listening to and following him, then no one can snatch the believer from his hand.

God maintains and guarantees salvation only to those who remain in the faith, careful to walk by the Spirit, which is to listen to and follow Lord Jesus, the Spirit guiding the believer as he follows Christ. The Spirit does not guarantee that we will walk in the Spirit and have life, because many Christians do:
  • Grieve the indwelling Spirit (Ephesians 4:17-32),
  • Quench the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19),
  • Insult/Enrage the indwelling Spirit (Hebrews 10:24-31),
  • Reject the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8),
  • Lie to the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:3), and
  • Test the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:9).
Christians who reject, insult, and enrage the indwelling Spirit will suffer eternal punishment if not confessed and repented of (Hebrews 10:24-31; Revelation 3:1-6; Romans 11:19-22).

The Power of God onto Salvation is accessed and kept by our Faith in Lord Jesus to the end

Romans 1:16-17
(EWEB)16 For I am not ashamed of the Good News of Christ, because it is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes (continuous), for the Jew first, and also for the Greek. 17 For in it is revealed God’s righteousness from faith to faith. As it is written, “But the righteous shall live by faith.” [Habakkuk 2:4]

1 Peter 1:5 (KJV) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:9 (ENIV) 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟18,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jonah was saved by faith, but God called Jonah to be a prophet. Jonah's heart was in the right place when he willfully tried to avoid preaching to the Ninevites. The Ninevites were a vicious people, even torturing Israelis. However, Ninevah was a large city with many people. Rather than destroy all of Ninevah, God had mercy on them, desiring them to repent. God chose Jonah to preach to the Ninevites. The Ninevites did repent, and God spared Ninevah.

The Potter forms the clay, but whether God forms the clay for salvation or destruction is dependent on how the clay responds in his hands. If the sinner repents, God will change his mind, and form the clay for noble purposes (Jeremiah 18:1-12; 2 Timothy 2:19-22).

That is not true for all people. While all people are prisoners of sin, there are those who are crushed and heavily laden by their sins. These are the humble whom Christ was sent to preach to.

Luke 18:13-14 (WEB) 13 But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn’t even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Luke 4:18-19 (EWEB) 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the broken hearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, 19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.” [Isaiah 61:1-2]

Mathew 11:28 (WEB) Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.

"Romans 6:16-18" does not support your doctrine that sinners cannot repent unless God changes their hearts (regeneration).

Regeneration is only a possession of those who first, by faith, repent, and then continue in faith by walking by the Spirit.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears [listens] my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Regeneration is the light of life (Ephesians 5:8) and is by faith evidenced by following Lord Jesus:

John 8:12“I am the light of the world. [Isaiah 60:1] He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the {{light of life}}.” [The light of life is regeneration and is God’s Work in those who follow Lord Jesus.]

Regeneration is associated with being “Children of God.” We are children of God through faith:

Galatians 3:26 (WEB) For you are all children of God, {{through faith}} in Christ Jesus.

Regeneration is to receive God’s Spirit after a person believes and becomes a child of God:

Galatians 4:6 (WEB) And because you are children, God sent out the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, “Abba, Father!”

Romans 8:10-11 (WEB) 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if it is so that the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if any man doesn’t have the {Spirit of Christ}, he is not his. 10 If Christ is IN YOU, the body is dead because of sin, but the spirit is alive [regeneration] because of righteousness.

Regeneration is Life by the Spirit of Christ dwelling in us (Romans 8:10-11) - AND the Spirit only indwells us to give us life by faith (John 7:37-39; Galatians 3:2, 14; Ephesians 1:13-14). Faith is demonstrated by following and obeying Lord Jesus, which is “The Faith” commitment (conversion) by which the Spirit indwells us.

John 14:15-16 (WEB) 15 If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, that he may be with you forever: 17 the Spirit of truth

John 14:23
(WEB) 23 Jesus answered him, “If a man loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him.

Acts 5:32 (WEB) 32 We are his witnesses of these things; and so also is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.

The Apostle Paul plainly teaches that faith is not a work; rather, Paul explains we are to believe, just as Abraham did, and so gained God's favor. Not that we earn salvation by our faith; rather, that the person who believes is the one God desires and wills to save.

Romans 11:32 (KJV) 32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
  • God desires all to be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-6; Isaiah 45:21-22; Acts 17:30; John 7:37; Revelation 22:17; 2 Corinthians 5:14-17), but many refuse his grace (2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 12:25; Matthew 22:3; John 3:18; Romans 10:21; John 5:39-40).
  • God calls and draws all people without favoritism (Isaiah 45:21-22; Acts 10:34-35; Acts 13:47; Romans 2:10-11; Matthew 28:19-20; John 12:32; John 12:47; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Titus 2:11), by the Word and Spirit, but many refuse the drawing of the word (Romans 10:17-21) and resist the Spirit (Acts 7:51).
  • The ransom was paid for all (1 Timothy 2:6), but not all are ransomed because many refuse (Matthew 22:3; John 3:18; John 5:39-40; Acts 14:2; Acts 19:9; Acts 50-51; Romans 10:21; 2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 12:25; Revelation 16:9; Revelation 16:11).
  • God’s gracious intention is to have mercy on all (Romans 11:32), but many will refuse God’s mercy.
  • God invites all so that whosoever believes may be saved (Matthew 22:8-9; John 3:16), but many refuse.
  • God shows no favoritism (Acts 10:34-35) or partiality (Romans 2:10-11) in His offer of salvation.
  • God grants both the Jew and the Gentile repentance onto life (Acts 11:18; Acts 13:47).
  • God grants everyone salvation by faith in His Son (Acts 11:18; Acts 13:46-47; John 3:14-18; John 10:16; John 6:40; Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 3:21-22; Isaiah 45:22).
  • The call to salvation is for the whole world (John 16-19; Luke 14:23; Matthew 22:9-9; Isaiah 45:22), but we appropriate that gracious gift of salvation to ourselves by faith – whosoever believes (John 3:16; Romans 1:16-17; Romans 5:1-2).
  • Of those who do believe, many will be deceived or fall away, so we are warned to remain faithful to the end to receive the eternal inheritance (Matthew 24:10-13; Luke 21:34-36; John 15:8-10; Romans 8:16-17; Romans 11:19-22; Luke 21:19; Galatians 5:4; Galatians 6:7-9; 1 Timothy 4:1-2; 1 Timothy 4:16; 1 Timothy 6:10-12; 1 Timothy 6:18-22; 2 Timothy 2:17-18; Hebrews 2:1-4; Hebrews 3:12-15; Hebrews 10:24-31; Hebrews 10:35-36; James 1:12-16; 2 Peter 1:8-11; 2 Peter 2:1-3; 1 John 2:24-26; Revelation 2:10-11; Revelation 3:1-5; Revelation 3:11-12; Revelation 3:15-21; Revelation 21:7, and many more).
In "John 6:28-29," The question asked of Lord Jesus sets the context for his reply to them. In the context, Lord Jesus is not teaching that God is giving anyone faith as His work; rather, in reply to them, he is saying the work of God (what God requires) is that we believe, so that we may do the works acceptable to God (Romans 3:31). To verify the truth of this, we see that regeneration of the indwelling Spirit (Romans 8:9-10) is by faith (John 7:37-39; John 5:24; John 8:12); therefore, God works in those who believe, not so they can believe, is the teaching of Scripture.

God reasons with us, and sends us evangelists, teachers, preachers, and prophets to proclaim the Gospel. Those who believe are saved, and those who do not believe are not saved (John 3:16-18). The works that come from an authentic faith in Lord Jesus are the works acceptable to God.

Ephesians 2:8-9” is another disputed quote. Scripture never teaches that faith to be saved is God’s work; rather God works salvation (John 3:16), regeneration (John 5:24), and to do the works of God (Ephesians 2:19; Titus 2:13-14) in those who believe. God saves those who believe.

God commands all people everywhere to repent. Good works are the result of a repentant faith, being disciples of Lord Jesus (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 11:26).

Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because he has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by the man whom he has ordained; of which he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.”

Acts 26:20 (NIV) First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Acts 17:30 (WEB) The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent

"Romans 12" is written to Christians, who already are saved and have the Spirit of God. Paul is teaching them about the gifts of the Spirit, and a measure of faith (as a gift) to carry out the special gift of the Spirit in each individual. Nothing in Romans 12 is teaching that God is giving faith as a gift to be saved.

"John 10:27" is plainly stating that the only sheep that Christ identifies as belonging to him are those sheep who listen to and follow him. These are the only sheep granted eternal life. God's promises to the believer are such that, as long as we believe in Him, demonstrated by listening to and following him, then no one can snatch the believer from his hand.

God maintains and guarantees salvation only to those who remain in the faith, careful to walk by the Spirit, which is to listen to and follow Lord Jesus, the Spirit guiding the believer as he follows Christ. The Spirit does not guarantee that we will walk in the Spirit and have life, because many Christians do:
  • Grieve the indwelling Spirit (Ephesians 4:17-32),
  • Quench the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19),
  • Insult/Enrage the indwelling Spirit (Hebrews 10:24-31),
  • Reject the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8),
  • Lie to the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:3), and
  • Test the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:9).
Christians who reject, insult, and enrage the indwelling Spirit will suffer eternal punishment if not confessed and repented of (Hebrews 10:24-31; Revelation 3:1-6; Romans 11:19-22).

The Power of God onto Salvation is accessed and kept by our Faith in Lord Jesus to the end

Romans 1:16-17
(EWEB)16 For I am not ashamed of the Good News of Christ, because it is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes (continuous), for the Jew first, and also for the Greek. 17 For in it is revealed God’s righteousness from faith to faith. As it is written, “But the righteous shall live by faith.” [Habakkuk 2:4]

1 Peter 1:5 (KJV) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:9 (ENIV) 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
There are five pages of notes, so I’ll just highlight some of the comments.

Jonah was saved by faith, but God called Jonah to be a prophet. Jonah's heart was in the right place when he willfully tried to avoid preaching to the Ninevites.

Rebellion against the Lord is simply sin. Jonah repented only after being in the belly of a fish for three days. It took him a while but God brought him around.

That is not true for all people.

What is not true, that God doesn’t call all people to repent or that we won’t repent on our own?

Regeneration is only a possession of those who first, by faith, repent, and then continue in faith by walking by the Spirit. …Regeneration is only a possession of those who first, by faith, repent, and then continue in faith by walking by the Spirit.

My understanding of your statement is that you feel a person generates their own faith and repentance to come to Christ. However, this was not the case with Saul on the Damascus Road. Paul did not first repent. Christ, like always, came to him. It wasn’t the case with Samson, David, or even Paul who was chosen or stated they were chosen before being born. God saves people.

So how do you see becoming a child of God. From your statements I tract it as: 1) faith, 2) repent, 3) regeneration, 4) child of God. Can one lose their salvation? Can one become unregenerated?

The Apostle Paul plainly teaches that faith is not a work

Well, I would disagree with this statement, and I provided a verse from our Lord Jesus that states otherwise.

1 Thessalonians 1:3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

There isn’t much more to say.

Upvote 0

Faith over Fear

If I had but one breath, I’d use it to praise HIM!
Dec 30, 2023
USA
✟24,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can one of you answer a question for me without blowing my mind. I’m not well educated I need it in simple terms.

Is it true a person cannot receive salvation if there is any sin in their life?
I understand repenting and turning from sin I’ve done the best I can on my own. I have some other struggles that I need help to get away from. But I’m not capable on my own to do it. So if I have any sin in my life I can’t have a relationship with God?

Thanks-

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟357,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can one of you answer a question for me without blowing my mind. I’m not well educated I need it in simple terms.

I understand repenting and turning from sin I’ve done the best I can on my own. I have some other struggles that I need help to get away from. But I’m not capable on my own to do it. So if I have any sin in my life I can’t have a relationship with God?

Thanks-

Faith in Lord Jesus by which God saves us is represented in Baptism - dead to the old man of sin, and raised with Christ to a new life as followers of Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love (Romans 6:1-23; 1 Corinthians 6:9-20; 1 Corinthians 10:1-12; Colossians 3:1-17; Romans 12:1-2; Galatians 5:13-25; Galatians 6:7-9; Ephesians 4:17-32; Ephesians 5:1-21; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8; Hebrews 10:24-31; 1 Peter 1:1-25; 2 Peter 1:5-10; Revelation 3:1-6; Revelation 22:13-15).

I listed a lot of Scriptures that basically repeat the same thing but in various ways, and most of them give a list of sins as an example.

All Christians will sin in weakness, but Christians no longer live in any sin. For instance, binge eating is sinful, or wasting time, and things like these are sins, but if not deliberate, then these are sins of weakness that we confess and work on to overcome. Deliberate and willful sin is inexcusable as a Christian (Hebrews 10:24-31). No Christian continues to live in any sin.

Galatians 5:13-25 (WEB)
13 For you, brothers, were called for freedom. Only don’t use your freedom for gain to the flesh, but through love be servants to one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” [Leviticus 19:18] But if you bite and devour one another, be careful that you don’t consume one another.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won’t fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, that you may not do the things that you desire. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let’s also walk by the Spirit.

1 John 2:1-8 (WEB) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous. 2 And he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins (Christians), and not for ours only, but also for the whole world (All sinners who come to faith in Lord Jesus). 3 This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments. 4 One who says, “I know him,” and doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn’t in him. 5 But God’s love has most certainly been perfected in whoever keeps his word. This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

1 John 1:6-10 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we haven’t sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟357,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are five pages of notes, so I’ll just highlight some of the comments.

Jonah was saved by faith, but God called Jonah to be a prophet. Jonah's heart was in the right place when he willfully tried to avoid preaching to the Ninevites.

Rebellion against the Lord is simply sin. Jonah repented only after being in the belly of a fish for three days. It took him a while but God brought him around.

True, but God looks on the heart and judges accordingly.

Jonah did not repent after being in the belly of a fish for three days. We see that Jonah still was angry with God as he looked upon Ninevah. In response, God spoke kindly with Jonah, realizing why he was angry, and God explained his reasons for desiring mercy for Ninevah.

That is not true for all people.

What is not true, that God doesn’t call all people to repent or that we won’t repent on our own?

My first reply was in response to your words as follows:

HarleyER said:
Yes, God calls all people to repent. The trouble is we won't repent. Why? Simply because we love sin.

My response was as follows:

Regeneration is only a possession of those who first, by faith, repent, and then continue in faith by walking by the Spirit. …Regeneration is only a possession of those who first, by faith, repent, and then continue in faith by walking by the Spirit.

My understanding of your statement is that you feel a person generates their own faith and repentance to come to Christ. However, this was not the case with Saul on the Damascus Road. Paul did not first repent. Christ, like always, came to him. It wasn’t the case with Samson, David, or even Paul who was chosen or stated they were chosen before being born. God saves people.

Our Faith in Christ is in response to the Gospel Word being preached (Romans 10:17-18), and the convicting work of the Spirit (John 16:8) - both the Word and Spirit are sent to mankind to draw all sinners to Christ (John 12:32). But many do resist drawing of the Word (Romans 10:17) and Spirit (Acts 7:51) and refuse the offer of salvation (grace (2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 12:25; Matthew 22:3; John 3:18; Romans 10:21; John 5:39-40).

God calls and draws all people without favoritism (Isaiah 45:21-22; Acts 10:34-35; Acts 13:47; Romans 2:10-11; Matthew 28:19-20; John 12:32; John 12:47; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Titus 2:11), by the Word (Romans 10:17; 1 Peter 1:23; James 1:18; Ephesians 2:25-26) and Spirit (John 3:6-8; John 16:8), but many are obstinate and so refuse the drawing of the word (Romans 10:17-21) and resist the Spirit (Acts 7:51)

So how do you see becoming a child of God. From your statements I tract it as: 1) faith, 2) repent, 3) regeneration, 4) child of God. Can one lose their salvation? Can one become unregenerated?

I gave you the Scriptures that teach us that by faith we are children of God.

Regeneration is by faith.

The Apostle Paul plainly teaches that faith is not a work

Well, I would disagree with this statement, and I provided a verse from our Lord Jesus that states otherwise.

1 Thessalonians 1:3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

There isn’t much more to say.

Paul is the one who wrote "1 Thessalonians 1:3," the very person who repeatedly teaches that faith is not a work.

"1 Thessalonians 1:3" does not say faith is a work; rather, the "your work of faith," which is demonstrated in the labor of love and steadfastness of hope.

Works come from faith. Faith itself is not a work; rather, it is a condition of the heart and mind before one work is ever done.

We are not saved by works, but by faith in Lord Jesus. If one's faith is genuine, then by faith, the believer has committed his life to follow Jesus as Lord into a sanctified life of righteousness and love. The Spirit indwells the true believer to lead them the believer to victory, but only as the believer continues in the faith evidenced by walking in the Spirit - for the Spirit will only give Eternal Life to the Christian who faithfully sows to the Spirit.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟18,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Thanks-
God desires that man repents and believe on Christ for our salvation. Our trust and hope (e.g. belief) is in what Christ has done, not what we have done. Even after we have placed our faith in Christ, we will still fail and sin. It is a constant battle of maintaining a right relationship with God. God helps us through this through His Holy Spirit who continues to santify us through His Word and helps us to grow. But our right relationship with God is BECAUSE of what Christ has done ONLY, not anything we can do.

One lesson I learned a long time ago is to trust His Word to steer and guide you. If there is something that you don't understand then just move on. But trust His Word. God will reveal it to you in good time.

Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟18,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God desires that man repents and believe on Christ for our salvation. Our trust and hope (e.g. belief) is in what Christ has done, not what we have done. Even after we have placed our faith in Christ, we will still fail and sin. It is a constant battle of maintaining a right relationship with God. God helps us through this through His Holy Spirit who continues to santify us through His Word and helps us to grow. But our right relationship with God is BECAUSE of what Christ has done ONLY, not anything we can do.

One lesson I learned a long time ago is to trust His Word to steer and guide you. If there is something that you don't understand then just move on. But trust His Word. God will reveal it to you in good time.
Edit to my above post...

God desires that man repents and believe on Christ for our salvation. Our trust and hope (e.g. belief) is in what Christ has done, not what we have done. Even after we have placed our faith in Christ, we will still fail and sin. It is a constant battle but we no longer practice sin. God in His grace and mercy helps us through His Holy Spirit who santify us through His Word and helps us to grow. But our salvation is BECAUSE of what Christ has done ONLY, not because of anything we do. It's that simple.

1 Corinthians 1:20

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟18,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Thanks-
FoF

I recalled a Home Group study on 1 John. 1 John is an excellent book for the fundamentals of a believer. I hope these help.

HOW WE KNOW WE ARE BORN AGAIN.

Throughout the book of 1 John, John list seven traits of being born again.

1st Jn 2:29 – We practice righteousness. -You know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him.

1st John 3:9- We don’t make sin a habit. - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1st John 4:7- We love one another. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

1st John 5:1 (twice)- We believe that Jesus is the Christ and love Jesus. Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.

1st John 5:4- We have overcome the world by our faith. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

1st John 5:18-The evil one does not touch us. We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

HOW WE WALK.

John list the six tests of Christian genuineness.

1st John 1:7 – Walk in the light.

1st John 1:9 – Confess our sin.

1st John 2:5 – Keep His commandments.

1st John 2:6 – Walk like Him.

1st John 2:10 – Love one another.

1st John 4:21 – Confess that Jesus is the Son of God.

HOW WE RECOGNIZE DECEPTION.

John list the seven tests of ways that we can deceive ourselves or characteristics of unbelievers.

1st John 1:6 - False fellowship by walking in darkness.

1st John 1:8 - False sanctity by denying we have sinned.

1st John 1:10 - False righteousness by denying we are sinful creatures.

1st John 2:4 - False allegiance by not keeping His commandments.

1st John 2:6 - False behavior by not trying to walk as Christ walked.

1st John 2:9 - False spirituality illustrated by hating others.

1st John 4:20 - False love to God by hating others.

Upvote 0

Faith over Fear

Dec 30, 2023
USA
✟24,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Faith in Lord Jesus by which God saves us is represented in Baptism - dead to the old man of sin, and raised with Christ to a new life as followers of Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love (Romans 6:1-23; 1 Corinthians 6:9-20; 1 Corinthians 10:1-12; Colossians 3:1-17; Romans 12:1-2; Galatians 5:13-25; Galatians 6:7-9; Ephesians 4:17-32; Ephesians 5:1-21; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8; Hebrews 10:24-31; 1 Peter 1:1-25; 2 Peter 1:5-10; Revelation 3:1-6; Revelation 22:13-15).

I listed a lot of Scriptures that basically repeat the same thing but in various ways, and most of them give a list of sins as an example.

All Christians will sin in weakness, but Christians no longer live in any sin. For instance, binge eating is sinful, or wasting time, and things like these are sins, but if not deliberate, then these are sins of weakness that we confess and work on to overcome. Deliberate and willful sin is inexcusable as a Christian (Hebrews 10:24-31). No Christian continues to live in any sin.

Galatians 5:13-25 (WEB)
13 For you, brothers, were called for freedom. Only don’t use your freedom for gain to the flesh, but through love be servants to one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” [Leviticus 19:18] But if you bite and devour one another, be careful that you don’t consume one another.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won’t fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, that you may not do the things that you desire. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let’s also walk by the Spirit.

1 John 2:1-8 (WEB) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous. 2 And he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins (Christians), and not for ours only, but also for the whole world (All sinners who come to faith in Lord Jesus). 3 This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments. 4 One who says, “I know him,” and doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn’t in him. 5 But God’s love has most certainly been perfected in whoever keeps his word. This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

1 John 1:6-10 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we haven’t sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Thanks-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faith over Fear

Dec 30, 2023
USA
✟24,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Edit to my above post...

God desires that man repents and believe on Christ for our salvation. Our trust and hope (e.g. belief) is in what Christ has done, not what we have done. Even after we have placed our faith in Christ, we will still fail and sin. It is a constant battle but we no longer practice sin. God in His grace and mercy helps us through His Holy Spirit who santify us through His Word and helps us to grow. But our salvation is BECAUSE of what Christ has done ONLY, not because of anything we do. It's that simple.

1 Corinthians 1:20

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
FoF

I recalled a Home Group study on 1 John. 1 John is an excellent book for the fundamentals of a believer. I hope these help.

HOW WE KNOW WE ARE BORN AGAIN.

Throughout the book of 1 John, John list seven traits of being born again.

1st Jn 2:29 – We practice righteousness. -You know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him.

1st John 3:9- We don’t make sin a habit. - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1st John 4:7- We love one another. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

1st John 5:1 (twice)- We believe that Jesus is the Christ and love Jesus. Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.

1st John 5:4- We have overcome the world by our faith. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

1st John 5:18-The evil one does not touch us. We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

HOW WE WALK.

John list the six tests of Christian genuineness.

1st John 1:7 – Walk in the light.

1st John 1:9 – Confess our sin.

1st John 2:5 – Keep His commandments.

1st John 2:6 – Walk like Him.

1st John 2:10 – Love one another.

1st John 4:21 – Confess that Jesus is the Son of God.

HOW WE RECOGNIZE DECEPTION.

John list the seven tests of ways that we can deceive ourselves or characteristics of unbelievers.

1st John 1:6 - False fellowship by walking in darkness.

1st John 1:8 - False sanctity by denying we have sinned.

1st John 1:10 - False righteousness by denying we are sinful creatures.

1st John 2:4 - False allegiance by not keeping His commandments.

1st John 2:6 - False behavior by not trying to walk as Christ walked.

1st John 2:9 - False spirituality illustrated by hating others.

1st John 4:20 - False love to God by hating others.
Thank you so very much

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟838,721.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In today's world where churches and different beliefs are popping up on every corner, not to mention the years of churches preaching a watered down Bible and God. What does the Bible say and not say concerning salvation? Seems to me that if one is going to endeavor to be a Christian, one would be concerned with God's word more so than anything else!!! 1. No where does the NT say or imply that anyone has ever been saved by praying "the sinners prayer".
2. The Bible does however say specifically that obedience IS involved in salvation.
since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you,and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. -
The Bible says what the Bible says, regardless of what anyone believes. Sure, there are prophetic areas of the Bible where I may be right in the interpretation or you may be or we both may be wrong, but I submit to you that anything pertaining to salvation is straight forward requiring zero interpretation. Would God want us to be saved and not tell us how to be saved? Would God be a just God by requiring this for salvation from one person and something different from another thus making it impossible to know? Not according to the Word of God. For those who will argue the "sinner prayer" i have but one more verse for ponderance.

Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. - John 9:31
In Him
The Bible says, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved."
The central Gospel of Christ is that Jesus died on the Cross to take the penalty for our sins and rose again to give us eternal life. What we do is to acknowledge that we are sinners deserving of hell because we have broken His law. Then we acknowledge that Jesus died for us on the Cross, and we ask Him to be our personal Saviour and to fill us with the Holy Spirit so that we can be genuinely born again by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the only way to be saved, Jesus said, "I am the Way the truth and the life, and no man can come to the Father except by Me."

It doesn't matter what churches say. They are made up of ordinary sinners like you and me who each have to come up and stand before Jesus Christ one day and give their own account of their lives and what they did in relation to what Jesus did for the on the Cross.

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

In Him

Save=deliver, saved=delivered, salvation=deliverance.

those that God gave to his Son were redeemed of their sins, and promised an inheritance of eternal heaven (John 6:37-40)' There are no other eternal salvation's (deliverance's) recorded in the scriptures. However, those who were delivered (saved) on the cross may experience many deliverance's (salvation's) as they sojourn here on earth.

Upvote 0

Frosty Cook

Aug 27, 2019
Comanche
✟21,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved."
The central Gospel of Christ is that Jesus died on the Cross to take the penalty for our sins and rose again to give us eternal life. What we do is to acknowledge that we are sinners deserving of hell because we have broken His law. Then we acknowledge that Jesus died for us on the Cross, and we ask Him to be our personal Saviour and to fill us with the Holy Spirit so that we can be genuinely born again by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the only way to be saved, Jesus said, "I am the Way the truth and the life, and no man can come to the Father except by Me."

It doesn't matter what churches say. They are made up of ordinary sinners like you and me who each have to come up and stand before Jesus Christ one day and give their own account of their lives and what they did in relation to what Jesus did for the on the Cross.

There are many scriptures that refute your theory that is grounded in doing good works to achieve eternal deliverance. If you are interested in some of these scriptures, Just ask.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟838,721.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are many scriptures that refute your theory that is grounded in doing good works to achieve eternal deliverance. If you are interested in some of these scriptures, Just ask.
The Scripture says, "By grace we are saved through faith and not of ourselves but is the gift of God; not of works lest any should boast" (Ephesian 2:8-9).
"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work" (Romans 11:6).

This is the word of God which overrules the word of man's works-based religion. When I read your post the Holy Spirit immediately brought these two verses to mind to show me what His answer is to your post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0