Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the 17th century, between the influence of pietism and scholasticism, the importance of the Eucharist declined among some Lutherans. Also, with the rise of a receptionist understanding of communion, there was often also a corresponding de-emphasis on the actual importance of the Eucharist beyond just a formality.
Great information! Since you are the OP, what, in the end, made you choose between the Episcopal and Lutheran ELCA churches?

Upvote 0

GardenLady

Aug 22, 2018
Mid-Atlantic
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am in a process of discernment about moving from the RCC to the ELCA. The ELCA church I have attended with my husband and his family has communion every Sunday, at least at the traditional service. I do not know about the contemporary service, as I have not attended it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Great information! Since you are the OP, what, in the end, made you choose between the Episcopal and Lutheran ELCA churches?

The local Episcopalians are not necessarily typical of the national church, that was a significant influence. The Diocese of Central Florida is well known for being very conservative and evangelical. Mostly the churches sent their clergy to the local Reformed seminary and it showed. The only Episcopal churches I really clicked with that I visited were St. Matthew's and St. Richard's, both headed by women priests who went to seminary elsewhere, and they were too far away to be practical.

I like the community of people at my local Lutheran congregation, especially the pastor. It's where I feel God called me to be. I like the Lutheran message on grace. The ELCA has the same tolerant, open-minded, liturgical atmosphere I associate with my northern Methodist upbringing.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟784,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am in a process of discernment about moving from the RCC to the ELCA. The ELCA church I have attended with my husband and his family has communion every Sunday, at least at the traditional service. I do not know about the contemporary service, as I have not attended it.
That is great to hear! Welcome to the Lutheran forum here on Christian Forums! It is great to have you here.

I am also a lapsed Catholic that attends an ELCA parish.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟784,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The local Episcopalians are not necessarily typical of the national church, that was a significant influence. The Diocese of Central Florida is well known for being very conservative and evangelical. Mostly the churches sent their clergy to the local Reformed seminary and it showed. The only Episcopal churches I really clicked with that I visited were St. Matthew's and St. Richard's, both headed by women priests who went to seminary elsewhere, and they were too far away to be practical.

I like the community of people at my local Lutheran congregation, especially the pastor. It's where I feel God called me to be. I like the Lutheran message on grace. The ELCA has the same tolerant, open-minded, liturgical atmosphere I associate with my northern Methodist upbringing.

Thank you for sharing! I went to an EC in Lake Mary a couple of weeks ago for a wedding, after hearing the priest's sermon I believe I know what you mean.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟784,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is that respect for the observance of the Eucharist that brought my wife and I to the ELCA from the UMC.
I agree with this. I went to a UMC church through high school and college and then my wife and I tried a local one a few times early this year. The church was nice, but they only had communion once every couple of months.

Upvote 0