Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi there , I just thought it would be kinda helpful to have some clear and easy to follow information on the Doctrines of Grace......

here's a page that is nicely set out and is a real pleasure to read.....

Greetings Cygnus :wave:

http://www.eschatology.com/predestination.html

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟513,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
cygnusx1 said:
Hi there , I just thought it would be kinda helpful to have some clear and easy to follow information on the Doctrines of Grace......

here's a page that is nicely set out and is a real pleasure to read.....

Greetings Cygnus :wave:

http://www.eschatology.com/predestination.html
Good Day,Cygnusx1

That is a wonderful page, THANK YOU !!!

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
cygnusx1 said:
One of the first things I read when I became a Calvinist was this..............I was never the same again! :D

http://www.txdirect.net/~tgarner/chspur8.htm

That was some pretty powerful stuff! Spurgeon doesn't water anything down does he? He gets right to the heart of the matter!

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I haven't read this book but I thought I might mention it for those new to the Reformed Faith.......:wave:

0875527191.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875527191/102-1368325-1004154?v=glance

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think this is excellent............

http://www.shilohonline.org/articles/spring/15_firstthing.htm
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]FIRST THINGS
By Gardiner Spring
VOLUME 2 • CHAPTER 15
[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
The First Act of Discriminating Grace.
[/font]
God’s truth is always the same. Moses was as staunch a believer in the doctrines of grace as Paul; nay, Paul himself refers to Moses as himself inculcating the great doctrine of God’s discriminating grace. There are those who would fain have us believe that there is no such thing. So the devil taught our credulous mother, when, with impudent and lying tongue, he uttered the words, “Thou shalt not surely die.” There are those also who would have us carried away by the modern notion, that God saves all he is able to save; and that if any are lost, it is because his almighty power cannot convert them. If this theory were true, instead of uttering the language, “I will have mercy upon whom I will have mercy,” we should somewhere have heard him say, I will have mercy upon whom I am able to have mercy.
[/font]

It is not the most popular theme, when we speak of God’s discriminating grace; yet it is very early brought to our consideration, and well deserves to be regarded as among the “first things” revealed by his Spirit.
[/font]

Cain and Abel were brothers; the evidence from the sacred writings would seem to justify the conclusion, that they were twin brothers. Yet, how great was the difference in their characters! They were born with the same corrupt and totally depraved nature; they enjoyed the same parental solicitude, and the same religious nurture; yet the one was the confiding, the dutiful child of God, the other was a deist and a murderer. Whence this difference? and who made it?
They are some of the “deep things of God” to which these inquiries conduct us; but we have no sympathy with those who, in this time-serving age, deem them unprofitable things, and unfitting the pulpit or the press. We confess ourselves wearied with this dwarfish theology; nor do we expect to see the church of God putting on her garments of strength and salvation, until her pulpits become more manly in asserting the great peculiarities of the Christian faith, and her presses, instead of “making a gain of godliness,” deem “godliness with contentment great gain.”......................:wave:
[/font]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Imblessed

Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
cygnusx1 said:
Another excellent page to help you on your way........:wave:

http://www.gospeloutreach.net/limited_atonement.html
VERY GOOD---I really like how that explained limited atonement.

You know, one of the very strange things is that of all of TULIP, limited atonement is one that I understood right away. I still can't figure out why people get so upset over it--if you ask them directly if Joe Blow Atheist down the street is saved now because of the Atonement on the Cross, they would say "no, that's universalist teachings".....:scratch: so, how can they say(but not mean), that Christ died for everyone??

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Imblessed said:
VERY GOOD---I really like how that explained limited atonement.

You know, one of the very strange things is that of all of TULIP, limited atonement is one that I understood right away. I still can't figure out why people get so upset over it--if you ask them directly if Joe Blow Atheist down the street is saved now because of the Atonement on the Cross, they would say "no, that's universalist teachings".....:scratch: so, how can they say(but not mean), that Christ died for everyone??
Because ,and I hesitate to say this , they believe that human faith actuates the atonement........that is the atonement cannot save a soul unless that soul makes it REAL!
The main question is over security , some believed God gambled at the cross , but the only gamble at the cross was the Romans.:wave:

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think you will enjoy this page , I do...... :wave:

Notes on Supralapsarianism & Infralapsarianism"Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?" (Romans 9:21).

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/sup_infr.htm

Upvote 0

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,581.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi,
I came into this forum to check out what Calvinism means and didn't know there was such a thing as Reformed Faith!!

Thanks so much for all the links explaining things, I'll be spending some time this week reading through the articles. Was Spurgeon Calvinist or Reformed?? I didn't know he was either/or!

From what I've read in the forum so far I think I've always been Calvinist to a point, so it will be interesting to see how much revelation Holy Spirit gives me.

Thanks again
Tavita

Upvote 0

Vessel Of Mercy

May 10, 2004
Topeka, KS
✟15,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tavita,

Spurgeon was both Reformed and a Calvinist. According to my understanding, the two terms are synonymous. Those that call themselves Calvinists ascribe to the theology which John Calvin, one of the leading 17th century reformers, taught in opposition to Roman Catholicism. Martin Luther, John Calvin, Ulrich Zwingli and many others led the Church in a return to correct Christianity and started and led the Protestant Reformation. It is sad that many Protestant denominations have departed from the Reformed teaching of our fathers, and have since embraced a theology strangely similar to that of Roman Catholicism.

It would be helpful for you to read history on the Reformation and any of the great links provided in the posts above. Sorry if I have rehashed stuff you already know, but I just want to help in any way I can. May God bless you in your understanding of His doctrines!

Ben

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,581.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
Vessel of Mercy,
Thanks for your encouragement. I will be looking into Reformed/Calvanism more. I have a question though. Please bare with me as I try and form it.
Today I had a conversation with a friend and was trying to explain predestination to them; and of course I got the usual answer 'But we have free will'. Which is something I'm still processing and couldn't give an answer to. They believe, and I still sort of tend to, that Christ comes to every man during their lifetime, to ask the question 'Will you believe on Me and accept Me?', and that right there, at that point, they have the 'choice' to deny or accept. ( He comes to those who turn Him down too??) What is Calvanism's answer here? Am I turning in circles?

Just trying to get a grip,
Tavita

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tavita said:
Vessel of Mercy,
Thanks for your encouragement. I will be looking into Reformed/Calvanism more. I have a question though. Please bare with me as I try and form it.
Today I had a conversation with a friend and was trying to explain predestination to them; and of course I got the usual answer 'But we have free will'. Which is something I'm still processing and couldn't give an answer to. They believe, and I still sort of tend to, that Christ comes to every man during their lifetime, to ask the question 'Will you believe on Me and accept Me?', and that right there, at that point, they have the 'choice' to deny or accept. ( He comes to those who turn Him down too??) What is Calvanism's answer here? Am I turning in circles?

Just trying to get a grip,
Tavita
Hi Tavita :wave:
well if we can have a scripture that says Christ offers every single sinner who ever lives forgiveness we might get somewhere........but I have never read anything like that.
I think it is so easy to assume that even if God did offer every man a chance at salvation all would be well ..........but that is not the truth , for many would quite naturally reject it .........now all you have to do is find out why and you will have your answer for man's "free-will" and God's Free Grace.
To speak very bluntly , a man seeking out God or asking Him to be His Lord by a natural interaction is as likely as the moon is made out of cheese.

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
cygnusx1 said:
I think you will enjoy this page , I do...... :wave:

Notes on Supralapsarianism & Infralapsarianism"Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?" (Romans 9:21).

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/sup_infr.htm
thanks for the link. Definately an interesting read. I would have to say though, that this is something i'm not inclined to take sides on. If I was pressed, I would have to go with infralapsarianism. But really, this is all so new to me-- how I went so many years being so ignorant of things like this, I have no idea!!! LOL

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
cygnusx1 said:
Because ,and I hesitate to say this , they believe that human faith actuates the atonement........that is the atonement cannot save a soul unless that soul makes it REAL!
The main question is over security , some believed God gambled at the cross , but the only gamble at the cross was the Romans.:wave:
but see, that's just the thing, if faith actuates the atonement, and there are so many who never have faith, then the atonement CANNOT be for all. They actually are agreeing with limited atonement then!! :doh:

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Imblessed said:
but see, that's just the thing, if faith actuates the atonement, and there are so many who never have faith, then the atonement CANNOT be for all. They actually are agreeing with limited atonement then!! :doh:
:D very good point Imblessed , sorry I didn't see your response until now .

We believe that Christ's atonement actually atoned , redeemed and bought us many privileges , as well as securing for us everything necessary for a full and free pardon. That includes the gifts of FAITH , REPENTANCE , and the gift of Coming to Christ.
We also believe a real transfer took place at Calvary ..........our sins were placed on Christ and His Righteousness was placed upon us. To be received by faith.
I have searched the scriptures and on several occasions we are said to have died with Christ and risen with Him. This is only ever spoken of believers!!
Very strange if Jesus died for every sinner.

Likewise we believe that the Holy Communion is for believers ONLY , and that the bread and the wine are not to be given to the unbeliever because he has no part in it.

One of my fav verses is "if God be for us , who can be against us , who shall lay any charge against God's Elect" :)

Upvote 0